Greatest drummer?

One of the greatest drummers of all time passed away recently.:(

Richie Hayward from the brilliant US group Little Feat.

May he rest in peace.

http://www.littlefeat.net/

[YOUTUBE]OO3ZMdcL8Pc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]VDp3Grz28mE[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]44BrEcf9etc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]hqKvwPNLikk[/YOUTUBE]

How this band wasn't huge,I will never ever know.

Jimmy Page's fav band.

mark73

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 12, 2005
Seaside
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hate. I love jazz guitar when its done well, even some fusion jazz (Such as Jeff Beck). But Mclaughlin's guitar playing just sounds like so hollow and emotionless to my ear.

Compare this

[YOUTUBE]XTtL-sjcKzU[/YOUTUBE]

to this

[YOUTUBE]f64XZRRs0jA[/YOUTUBE]

I know which one i'm envious of :thumbsu:
I hear ya. It's a fine line. Some jazz players are brought up that Bebop is the be all and end all. Unfortunately a lot of aspiring guitarists entering the genre fall for the same trap (listen to Scott Henderson). There's nothing wrong with that as long as you don't forget that your prime objective is to make music. It's a bit of a generation thing, too. Guys like Barney Kessel, Grant Green, Larry Coryell, Benson, Carlton, Ritenour didn't have the trouble. Somewhere the musicality got lost.

Drum 'battle' with Carey and Cody Willis, who thrashes it on a kit half the size.
[YOUTUBE]jA5YMWBJJbQ[/YOUTUBE]

Crover and Willis of the MELVINS.
[YOUTUBE]i-yF1uaa5vA[/YOUTUBE]

Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Virgil Donati used to be the drummer for Southern Sons (remember them:rolleyes:) but he has gone on to become one of the best drummers in the world.

This is from a concert with Steve Vai.
[YOUTUBE]inhckpMxxdo[/YOUTUBE]

Nice capture there Stinger. As far as Aussie drummers go, there is Virgil Donati on one level, and then all the rest battling for the pedestal below.

Used to watch him play with Loose Change at The Grainstore in the 80s back when he was playing his trademark Sonor kit.

Probably saw you there a few times, Smash.

Apart from his extreme playing, the other amazing thing about Virg was his versatility. That he would do that jazz fusion stuff on a Tuesday, be somewhere else the next night with Farnham or Southern Sons doing the whole nauseating mass-culture stuff to perfection, then back it up on the following night in Hans Valen or something, belting out Van Halen tributes with one hand tied behind his back (which you'd think would be better suited to Def Leppard, but I digress).

Incredible drummer. Shame he's a feckin Collingwood supporter.:D

Mar 28, 2007
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can someone explain Dave Grohl to me? I have never heard him play much more than a loud rock beat with his throne too low, yet he is constantly mentioned as the greatest drummer around.

One drummer i am a massive fan of is Deantoni Parks, fairly small, but his current live stuff with the OML group is just amazing.

That said, can't go past Cobham and Dennis for favourite drummers

Dec 18, 2005
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
[youtube]092aE9HuAUA[/youtube]

Not the greatest drummer, but great for his time

Ginger Baker with Hawkwind.
This may have been the first song I listened to just for the drumming.

Sounds cool. I've held of getting into Hawkwind. Only heard some, but the songs came across as amateurish. Maybe I should check out Levitation. When did Lemmy leave? Not really a fan of him lol

Sounds cool. I've held of getting into Hawkwind. Only heard some, but their songs came across as amateurish. Maybe I should check out Levitation

No other band have have highs and lows so far apart.
Some of the stuff is utterly amazing and in one turn you'll be dealt out tripe of the highest order.

Hard to pick my favourite album but the penultimate one with Lemmy (Hall of the Mountain Grill) is probably a good entry point.
They'd just released their 653rd. album :) this year and are starting to sound better again.

Crank up Hassan I Sahba to be blown away. This was the through period they were using 2 drummers.

Shane Hird

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan The Cult of Robbo Essendon Player Sponsor 2016
May 8, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
NYJ
Greatest unknown drummer...Cliff Hoad from the great Aussie band Kings of the Sun.

Woody Woodmansey...Bowie's old drummer from the early days..check him out.

Kim Chambers

All Australian
Jul 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Bay City rear enders
Saw them on their re union tour interview with Elvis Costello on his talk show "Spectacle" - Andy and Stewart clearly hate Stings guts - and Sting keeps going on as though they were a one man band!
iF you met Stewart Copeland you would hate him too.

IAMDASH

All Australian
Mar 7, 2001
Melbourne
Copeland is a brilliant drummer. Some real quirky stuff going on there to my untrained drumming ears.

I love Rob Hirst from Midnight Oil. I saw him drumming with The Break last year and I have never seen a bloke play with the passion he did. Everyone I spoke to who was there, commented on how bloody good he was that night.

Kim Chambers

All Australian
Jul 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Bay City rear enders
Copeland is a brilliant drummer. Some real quirky stuff going on there to my untrained drumming ears.
No argument there, I just found it strange that someone would accuse Sting of being a "Hey, look at me", when if anyone listened to Copeland you could be mistaken for thinking he ran everything, wrote everything, did everything and just happens to be a s**t bloke all round.

Back