Malthouse will be coaching elsewhere

Remove this Banner Ad

Eddie wont have any control over Mick if he really want to get out. Any legal stoush will go in Micks favour.

How's that gambling problem going Simon?

Hmm... There's ridiculous extrapolation and wild speculation on one hand, and Mick Malthouse and his manager both repeatedly saying that he will stay, saying that "the contract will prevail" on the other hand...

Yep.... and Kevin Rudd has Joolia's complete support as PM....

Oh wait..... :rolleyes:

WHO SAYS MALTHOUSE will want to coach anymore..he may go out on a high if the pies win again this year.

He may be ready to be a desk jockey and put his feet up.

He may go into the media?

I reckon thats the real question. All the rest is talk and no-one including Mick will know the answer till stumps GF day if the pies make it.

one thing is for sure...if Eddie wasnt sh!tting himself about Mick going to carlton with his mate on the board then he wouldnt be big upping his contract in the media every five seconds.

thats why I am betting that Mick is on his way to the blues.

WHO SAYS MALTHOUSE will want to coach anymore..he may go out on a high if the pies win again this year.

He may be ready to be a desk jockey and put his feet up.

He may go into the media?

I reckon thats the real question. All the rest is talk and no-one including Mick will know the answer till stumps GF day if the pies make it.

one thing is for sure...if Eddie wasnt sh!tting himself about Mick going to carlton with his mate on the board then he wouldnt be big upping his contract in the media every five seconds.

thats why I am betting that Mick is on his way to the blues.

He has already signed a contract with 7 for next year.

With the exception of Essendon, pretty much every melbourne club shoud be after him.

In reality - melbourne, bulldogs and carlton seem obvious options due to the current tenure of their existing coaches.

But if the hawks have another mediocre year and just drift into the finals - malthouse should be offered whatever it takes.

I'm still genuinely shocked that he won't be coaching the pies. Clubs wait decades to be in the position Collingwood are in now. Relatively youthful list, top of their game, comfortably ahead of the opposition. They could bank 2 or 3 flags with this group.

The guy that has built the group, developed the players and created a finals worthy gameplan - is going to be axed for a rookie.

It's just crazy IMO

Completely agree with this.

We have two of the best minds going around in Mick Malthouse and Nathan Buckley.

If you think we're about to let one of them slip away as easily as so many of you assume, I'm sorry to disappoint, but that's not gonna happen.

We have a contract in place, all parties have agreed to honour it, and we have deliberately left the position details open for Mick and Nathan to work out between themselves.

Hird and Bomber seem to be getting along fine at Essendon, so I don't see why everyone's "shocked" to see a duo coach team?

He has already signed a contract with 7 for next year.

well thats the first bit of thte puzzle I didnt know...thanks One eyed ;)

just kidding mate :)

thats tipping the scales in favour of desk jockey media personality for me now.

60-40 split.

MIck has alot of fire in the belly. One more flag may quell it??

7 may also not actually have the tv rights soon as well which may change the landscape.

One thing is for sure if Eddie annoys Mick then he will go and coach the Blues just to spite him. He is a fiery guy and not to be trifled with.

We have two of the best minds going around in Mick Malthouse and Nathan Buckley.

If you think we're about to let one of them slip away as easily as so many of you assume, I'm sorry to disappoint, but that's not gonna happen.

We have a contract in place, all parties have agreed to honour it, and we have deliberately left the position details open for Mick and Nathan to work out between themselves.

Hird and Bomber seem to be getting along fine at Essendon, so I don't see why everyone's "shocked" to see a duo coach team?

Not MIck...no chance. different man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The difference is, Bomber and Hird like each other and Bomber isn't as fired up about coaching anymore.

Mick and Nathan tolerate each other (barely) and Mick is now resentful at having to give up the reigns to the team he created.

Not comparable situations really.

The difference is, Bomber and Hird like each other and Bomber isn't as fired up about coaching anymore.

Mick and Nathan tolerate each other (barely) and Mick is now resentful at having to give up the reigns to the team he created.

Not comparable situations really.
All of that is total fabrication on your part, supported by nothing but baseless supposition in the media.

Unless you know the two men personally...

I'm not basing it on what the media says, I'm basing it on what Mick says about Nathan and his belief in Mick's gameplan, also the body language between Mick and Nathan is very negative. Mick keeps a noticeable distance from Nathan where he can. Why try so hard to do that? Mick doesn't sound happy at all when he talks about handing over the coaching job, nor does he sound enthused in the slightest about his role at the club next year.

The only people who talk up Mick's happiness with the handover and Collingwood supporters who are feeling defensive. Everybody else can see that he's not happy about it. Mick isn't that hard to read.

Anyway, you can accuse me of not being able to read Mick Malthouse or interpret his words if you like, but don't accuse me of accepting the view of the media because I haven't used that at all in reaching my opinion. It was totally based on Mick's words, face and body language at various stages.

Dean Bailey and Jack Trengove don't get along at all, does that mean one of them will leave?

Not really relevant but I don't see Dean Bailey being there for too much longer anyway. ;)

Besides, player and coach are two very different roles. Coach and "Director of Coaching" are far closer and the potential to step on each others toes is far greater.

Can I ask a couple of sincere questions of Collingwood supporters?

1- Do you believe Mick Malthouse is happy about this handover arrangement? ie. do you sense satisfaction or unease/tension about it?

2- Do you believe he has a good relationship with Nathan Buckley? How would you describe his feelings towards him from what you've seen?

3 - Do you believe Mick will see out his contract with Collingwood?

1- Do you believe Mick Malthouse is happy about this handover arrangement? ie. do you sense satisfaction or unease/tension about it?

2- Do you believe he has a good relationship with Nathan Buckley? How would you describe his feelings towards him from what you've seen?

1- Yes, he agreed to it before signing a contract
2- Yes they are close. Always have been good mates. And work well together.
3- Yes

How do we know Buckley is a great mind - in a coaching sense.

Malthouse is a great mind - 6 grand finals, 3 flags and probably another this year.

Superstar players don't simply equate to great coaches. And even if buckley becomes a great coach - it's going to take him years of learning on his feet to get there. In 2013 - he's going to be a rookie coach. he'll get better - but he will still be a rookie.

Malthouse has 25+ years of experience and has implemented a gamestyle that is towelling the opposition. His development of young players and rookies is second to none.

To think that Buckley or any other rookie coach is going to be anywhere near as good is ridiculous.

Also malthouse is going to be director of coaching, not an assistant - he's already said he'll be getting out of nathan's hair and letting him coach. so when the heat is on in the middle of a game - it will be nathan not nathan and mick making the moves.

you'll have one mind - and that isn't the best one.

still - from the other 16 clubs point of view it's a win - would much rather malthouse as a director or whatever - than at the helm.

from a football lover's point of view - would rather see him coaching - the guy is a star.

1. For the most part. When he signed it, it was 10 years without success. He may have a few doubts now but he's arrogant and won't be thinking that he made the mistake by signing the contract.
2. Mick and Buckley get on great. To believe otherwise is rubbish. Media beat up.
3. I don't think so. I reckon 30% chance he will. He's old and maybe wants to rest easy, enjoy his grandchildren, sit on his arse and get paid over $1million a year for doing next to SFA. If the fire is there he may want to go to another club and good on him.

Yes to all 3.

Most non-Collingwood supporters simply see Mick as the reigning premiership coach whose built an almost unstoppable team and therefore think that having him step aside at the end of the year is absurd.

When in reality without Eddie putting a deadline on Mick's tenure, the pies would've never won the flag last year. It was a desperate and ballsy move but it gave Mick a reality check which made him go after Jolly and Ball. If Mick didn't have a deadline on his contract, Josh Fraser would still be our number 1 ruck and the pies would simply be making up the numbers come finals time.

..i think a better question of magpie supporters is how do you feel about the handover..?.. ..looking forward to nathan?, or would you prefer to see Malty continue with the team he built..?..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back