Why do coaches take players off after kicking a goal

Remove this Banner Ad

roo blitz

All Australian
Mar 4, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hope this hasn't been posted previously ,but why are the coaches taking players off all the time when they boot a goal.
It seems coaches dont think for themselves and follow what the rest are doing.
When I played your confidence would be up and the adrenlene would be pumping after kicking a goal and you would be going at 110% on your next attack on the ball.
You can guarantee after a player kicks a goal and the replay is shown you will see him jogging to the cow sheds.
This modern footy gets too complicated for my way of thinking these days.

One of the channel 10 commentators had a go at Malcolm Blight for not knowing the truth behind this.

All interchanges are pre-determined, well before the player with the ball kicks the goal. It's not a 'you kicked a goal, so you come off' scenario at all. They are calculated changes, that often just coincide with a goal being kicked.

Long story short - they don't. It's a myth.

One of the channel 10 commentators had a go at Malcolm Blight for not knowing the truth behind this.

All interchanges are pre-determined, well before the player with the ball kicks the goal. It's not a 'you kicked a goal, so you come off' scenario at all. They are calculated changes, that often just coincide with a goal being kicked.

Long story short - they don't. It's a myth.
Seems too much of a coincidence to me as it happens all the time especially with mid field players and small forwards. The only ones who stay on seem to be the bigger forwards and it happens at all clubs. You watch this weeks games and see what happens.

Also possibly the coach wants a word with the player to say a few words of encouragement and give them some tips how to tighten up their game.

Often when they show the bench the player that kicked the goal is on the phone.

Also possibly the coach wants a word with the player to say a few words of encouragement and give them some tips how to tighten up their game.

Often when they show the bench the player that kicked the goal is on the phone.
Normally you dont need much encouragement after kicking a goal, you feel pretty good about it and if it was me I would lose momentum by sitting on the bench

Seems too much of a coincidence to me as it happens all the time especially with mid field players and small forwards. The only ones who stay on seem to be the bigger forwards and it happens at all clubs. You watch this weeks games and see what happens.
Could that be because those players do the most running, thus require the most frequent interchanging?

Could that be because those players do the most running, thus require the most frequent interchanging?
Agree ,but why after kicking the goal does it happen ? , it happens with Boomer a lot. Maybe its because there is a stoppage in play so it enables the coach to make a change. But again why is it the goal kicker ?

Until recently the runner would run out, tap you on the bottom, give you a drink of water, say well done and then leave you alone to kick another goal. If any one needed to come off after kicking a goal it was Dermie in the 1989 grand final when Yeates cleaned him up and he kicked the goal. Boy times have changed.

It happens to goal kickers no more than other players. You just see it on TV because the cameras remain focussed on them.

I heard a coach say in the past few days that he wants the players to run flat out until they're exhausted and then come off for a rest.

It seems the players call most of the changes.

I've seen JZ stagger off, only to have to stagger back on 10 secs later because someone else wants off.

I've seen Spitta run to the I/C line after a goal only to find that he's the 5th player and can't come off. I've watched him go straight back into the middle and run his guts out for another 5 minutes before taking his chance to have a rest.

Sit behind the I/C area occasionally - it's a real eye opener.

My theory: If you're a mid or flanker, with the amount of running that's required these days, its an incentive. You know: If I kick a goal, I get a rest. Its always in the back of your mind, if I kick a goal, I get a rest.

I think you'll find that when a player kicks a goal, it's a trigger to interchange. The ball is dead so make the changes then and one of those will be the goalkicker as he like every other goalkicker will know he needs to head to the interchange (if he isn't predetermined to do so like a full forward etc).

If a player knows that he must interchange after kicking a goal then it becomes less confusing for everyone as everyone knows he will be having a break.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you'll find that when a player kicks a goal, it's a trigger to interchange. The ball is dead so make the changes then and one of those will be the goalkicker as he like every other goalkicker will know he needs to head to the interchange (if he isn't predetermined to do so like a full forward etc).

If a player knows that he must interchange after kicking a goal then it becomes less confusing for everyone as everyone knows he will be having a break.

I think you are right but I would like to see North buck the trend and play mind games more. If your opponent has just kicked a goal you would be sh...ting yourself he would repeat the effort straight away. He can't do that on the bench and therefore you can pretty much just get on with the game.

Another thought I have is that the player who has just kicked the goal has just been involved in play and has most likely exerted themselves. Most the time the run to bench is quite lengthy and I think it makes the goal kicking effort even more draining to run a 100+ metres sprint at the end of it. With endurance concerns over a number of our players I don't think it is a smart thing to do.

It probably happens because the guy who kicked the goal was meant to come off 2 minutes ago, but couldn't because the ball was in the forward line and then he was kicking for goal.

Therefore he comes straight off after his goal.

Agree ,but why after kicking the goal does it happen ? , it happens with Boomer a lot. Maybe its because there is a stoppage in play so it enables the coach to make a change. But again why is it the goal kicker ?

Bingo. Give the kid a prize.

Welcome to 2011, coaches are nor responsible for the vast majority of interchanges, they are simply rotations. When you see a player who kicked a goal run off, you can guarantee that another one, if not two players also ran off. A goal is the perfect time to effect changes. So you may as well ask why the other two players came off when they didn't kick a goal. The player who kicked the goal, especially if he's a midfielder, has most likely just been at maximum effort.

I think you are right but I would like to see North buck the trend and play mind games more. If your opponent has just kicked a goal you would be sh...ting yourself he would repeat the effort straight away. He can't do that on the bench and therefore you can pretty much just get on with the game.

Another thought I have is that the player who has just kicked the goal has just been involved in play and has most likely exerted themselves. Most the time the run to bench is quite lengthy and I think it makes the goal kicking effort even more draining to run a 100+ metres sprint at the end of it. With endurance concerns over a number of our players I don't think it is a smart thing to do.
Some good points you mentioned Groo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back