slyone

Nov 4, 2008
pascoe vale
he was a 200cm ruckman that played for both the syney swans and nth melb kangas
And he worked for TNT Transport!

Over a few beers Monday night the boys were telling a few stories about you, dont know if you would make the best side of the last 30 years but apparently you didnt get the name Mongrel for nothing! maybe the toughest side of the last 30 years?

Kings Army

Suspended
Mar 15, 2006
And he worked for TNT Transport!

Over a few beers Monday night the boys were telling a few stories about you, dont know if you would make the best side of the last 30 years but apparently you didnt get the name Mongrel for nothing! maybe the toughest side of the last 30 years?

Maybe the toughest team is next? Darren Tarczon V Dean Helmers was fun to watch.

bearsboy

Mar 28, 2006
Gisborne
SD Chargers
Had his Larynx crushed by Simon Madden and only managed to play 22 games 21-Swans and 1 for the Might Roos. Not certain he played many senior games for Gissy.
I dont remember him playing any senior games at Gisborne (could be wrong though). Slyone may be thinking of Gareths dad Graeme who played at South Melbourne and was also the head honcho of Australia Post at one stage.

connalinko

Jul 1, 2009
north beach
Correct Bearsboy, i was thinking of Gareth!
i remember to players playing at jacana in MICKY MAVERELLIS, also CHRIS DOLOUDOLOU, they could fit in to this side also a little man at romsey :thumbsu:in the DIPPA....300 senior games, big game player, best and fairest, life member, rdfl league player,and could he play and still having a go in the 2s now;)

slyone

Nov 4, 2008
pascoe vale
i remember to players playing at jacana in MICKY MAVERELLIS, also CHRIS DOLOUDOLOU, they could fit in to this side also a little man at romsey :thumbsu:in the DIPPA....300 senior games, big game player, best and fairest, life member, rdfl league player,and could he play and still having a go in the 2s now;)
Yes mate Micky Mav & Chris were good and the little Dippa was very good as well, but if you have a look at Farcanal's side you will find they are all past champions, like Ezard and Hunter who played AFL, not good players but champs, that is what this side is about, some people are confused bringing up names who were good but we are talking champs! Go back and have a look at the side Farcanal has entered and then you will get the drift! He didnt put himself in, but wouldnt be far off it!

Jarman03

Jun 12, 2006
Coogee
I knew Mark quite well, was very handy in front of goal, lives in QLD now.

If you refer to the same Mark Hay that I played with his origins were Melton South and was an absolute freak. When I started my senior career haysy was playing and in my first game he took one of the biggest catches i have still ever seen. Wayne Carey actually mentioned him as the most talented player he had seen in his video. I only played RDFL from 93-97 before we left for the Ballarat League and have only just returned to the RDFL this year so missed the last 14 years, and did not watch 1 full rdfl game in that time, but from a Melton South perspective, guns regarded highly at our club that played RDFL and would no doubt sit well with any player in the history of the RDFL would be: Paul Rodda, Matt Sproule, Mark Hay, Brett Hickey, Steve Gallop, Darko Dabrovsak.

slyone

Nov 4, 2008
pascoe vale
If you refer to the same Mark Hay that I played with his origins were Melton South and was an absolute freak. When I started my senior career haysy was playing and in my first game he took one of the biggest catches i have still ever seen. Wayne Carey actually mentioned him as the most talented player he had seen in his video. I only played RDFL from 93-97 before we left for the Ballarat League and have only just returned to the RDFL this year so missed the last 14 years, and did not watch 1 full rdfl game in that time, but from a Melton South perspective, guns regarded highly at our club that played RDFL and would no doubt sit well with any player in the history of the RDFL would be: Paul Rodda, Matt Sproule, Mark Hay, Brett Hickey, Steve Gallop, Darko Dabrovsak.
Hickey, Gallop & Rodda were all in Farcanel's side if you go back to the first Post.
Dermy also said James would be the next Wayne Carey!

Jarman03

Jun 12, 2006
Coogee
Hickey, Gallop & Rodda were all in Farcanel's side if you go back to the first Post.
Dermy also said James would be the next Wayne Carey!

haha yes remember that call by derm. Fair wrap though for haysey when the man himself says he is as talented footballer that he had played with, unfortunately for haysey knees cut him down and noone will ever know....but I am sure that is the story with 1000's of players out there. You take your cards your dealt with and play with them. Once again only a South perspective but I know most at the club rate half of the riddell 1991 premiership side as the best players they ever played against at local level........Just shows reading back through posts that there has been some outstanding talent roll through the RDFL throughout its history.

slyone

Nov 4, 2008
pascoe vale
haha yes remember that call by derm. Fair wrap though for haysey when the man himself says he is as talented footballer that he had played with, unfortunately for haysey knees cut him down and noone will ever know....but I am sure that is the story with 1000's of players out there. You take your cards your dealt with and play with them. Once again only a South perspective but I know most at the club rate half of the riddell 1991 premiership side as the best players they ever played against at local level........Just shows reading back through posts that there has been some outstanding talent roll through the RDFL throughout its history.
Great Post Jars and alot more to come as the RDFL standard is improving every year!
Hickey took the ball as i was slamming it onto my foot and ran into an open goal! I think i dragged myself! Jack Gallop is my pick, he had the toughness to go with the ability! Hugh Carey the best Ruckman, gee they were great days!!

West_Coast_Eagles

Oct 4, 2007
Was watching the 1989 grand finaL on dvd a few weeks ago woodend v northern eagles. Who are northern eagles? How many teams can ppl name that rnt in the rdfl anymore? Was there 2 divisions at one stage??

kwame

Suspended
Jan 8, 2009
b-more
lakers
Was watching the 1989 grand finaL on dvd a few weeks ago woodend v northern eagles. Who are northern eagles? How many teams can ppl name that rnt in the rdfl anymore? Was there 2 divisions at one stage??

if i remember correctly the northern eagles were a renamed whittlesea fc

Nov 1, 2011
Watched a lot of RDFL footy late 80's and early 90's. Thought Rod Johnson from Jacana was a very skilled player. Played some VFA football with Prahran and didn't look out of place. Steve Gallop was good at RDFL level but thought he was a limited player. Good mark, strong etc but lacked run and for his size no real tricks.

slyone

Nov 4, 2008
pascoe vale
Watched a lot of RDFL footy late 80's and early 90's. Thought Rod Johnson from Jacana was a very skilled player. Played some VFA football with Prahran and didn't look out of place. Steve Gallop was good at RDFL level but thought he was a limited player. Good mark, strong etc but lacked run and for his size no real tricks.

Steve had plenty of tricks, goal kicker, tough and back in those days it wasnt so much about run like it is today, played reserves at North Melbourne when they were a great side, so definatly in this side.

Frosty23

Draftee
Jun 27, 2007
Prahran
As an umpire in the 80's and 90's and early 2000's, I regarded guys like Tony West, Phil Squire & Steve Nash, Ron Howard, Rodney Wright as some of the better players I have seen. Gavin Lloyd was a great player as well.Their was a sunbury player by the name of Ashley Pritchard who changed his surname to Fasham, I think just a mercurial forward who could do anything on his day!!Lexy Miller was tough as old boots back then and their was a darley forward, Cousins I think was his surname, he was a great athlete...I think ex north player Ken Montgomery finished his career at Darley, he was pretty handy too...I think Craigieburn had the ugliest player, a big ruckman, Jason Albon, his brother was captain and very handy, Paul Albon...sunbury vs riddell garnd final in early 2000's was as good a game of football I have seen at local level....riddell hung on in a thriller i think...

Gerard Nolan
Roger Nolan
Tim Nolan
Darren Croft
Ron Howard jnr
Dean Moore
(all Riddell)
Tony Lucas
Rob Thomas
(Sunbury)
Kinnear Beatson
Rob Beatson
Bernie Gardiner
(Macedon)
Glenn Moore
(Melton)
surely these guys would fit in to this team
also
Lawrie Attwil
Chad
(Macedon)

The Morganti Brothers(Riddell and Sunbury)
The Bottoms Brothers(Riddell,Diggers Rest,Sunbury)
Otto Mueller
Tim Crotty(Gisborne)

:D:thumbsu:

Don't forget that Darko started out with Sunbury Rovers before playing with Melton South.

Kids today have jumpers with their favourite AFL player's number on the back, I had my favourite RDFL players number on mine, no 9 Darko Dabrovsak. I worshipped the man.

hyphen69

Draftee
May 25, 2012
Gday lads just want to start some discussions on the best team of last 30 years in the rdfl. This is only my opinion so dont give me too much s*it. Most of the team is from the 80s and 90s as thats when it was at its strongest.

P.s dont be shy to make up your team (if your old enough ha ha)

backs gavin lloyd (w/h-darley) glen fisher(gis) colin baker(craig)

h/backs paul rodda (melt sth) ron stauffer (wallan) keith baker (melton)

centres rod johnson (jacana) ian benjiman (wallan) mark power (riddell)

half fwds dean lupson (sunb) alan edwards (melt) steve gallop (melt sth)

forwards shane muir (w/h) mick werner (gis) john fitzgerald (gis)

rucks

hugh carey (melt)
scott sheldon (melt)
alan ezard (broadford)

inter
peter keep (darley)
gary moorcroft (romsey)
marty lakey (l/field-sunb)
brett hickey (melt sth)
what about fasham from sunbury?