NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Redlands to beat Redlands by 7 goals
NT too good for the Lions by 6goals
Mt Gravatt to bounce back after great effort in NT and beat Broadbeach by a kick
Aspley to good for Morningside by 5 goals.

Labrador to get spanked by 15+ goals!

Oops ....be a good trick for Redland to beat itself, although its actions this week would suggest they would give it a good shake!!!Redlands to beat Southport by 7 goals
NT too good for the Lions by 6goals
Mt Gravatt to bounce back after great effort in NT and beat Broadbeach by a kick
Aspley to good for Morningside by 5 goals.

Labrador to get spanked by 15+ goals!

My guess at the state squad- I wrote down 30 + 3 AFL Rookies-who knows how many the selectors will choose.

MT G- Grose, Vearing, C.Smith, Gilliland and Proud. (5 players)
NT- Tyrell, Tapp, Rosier, C. Illett, Tangultum,Vallejo (6)
Redlands- Carse, Charlesworth, Pullman, Manzone (4)
Morningside- Spackman, Kinch and Brown (3)
Aspley- Toye, Bevan, Shir, Copeland (4)
Broadbeach- Zorko, Geary, Fife (3)
Labrador- Grayson, Davey, White, Clarke (4)
Southport- Payne (1)
Suns- Magin, Crawford (if available) (2)
Lions- McCauley (if available) (1)

It will be interesting to see how many I get right.

Nice stuff. Rookie List Players who have played AFL in 2011 arent eligible though so this wipes out Magin/Macauley.

Nice stuff. Rookie List Players who have played AFL in 2011 arent eligible though so this wipes out Magin/Macauley.

I didn't know that but it makes sense. Wise will probably get in if his form in the last couple of games has been good. I haven't watched him play for a few weeks and when I saw him he was underdone.

Not sure whether you can play both Eagle and Ewing (and Pulman for that matter).

No Knobel or Davey for Lab against Nth Adelaide. Could be ugly but in this instance I find myself barracking for Labrador.

Tips for this week.Chance to get nil as all games 50/50.

Panthers
Broadbeach,only as they at home.
Lions.Sherwoods ground may be to small for Nt
Sharks.Good clubs bounce back

Great points regarding Sherwood Ground. Nt are at their best on big grounds and may feel too congested on this field against AFL Listed players. I will still back them to win but not by alot.

Betting this week:

Redland head to head @ $1.75, 4 units
Morningside +13.5 @ 1.90, 1.5 units
Broadbeach +19.5 @ 1.90, 0.5 units
Northern Territory -7.5 @ 1.90, 3 units

Profit: $705
Loss: $50
Overall: $655
72.7% profit on investment of $900.

Surprised Matt Shir and Phil Carse not in state squad.Thought selectors looking towards future draft players.Is Copeland aiming for another crack.Shir apparentally kicked 2 goals 6 yest and was best on ground by far by all reports.
Aspley lost another game they should have won,led Broadbeach by 5 goals deep into last qtr also and had Panthers on the ropes.Any reasons for these lapses.Also let gc off.Could well be 6 wins instead of 3

Great points regarding Sherwood Ground. Nt are at their best on big grounds and may feel too congested on this field against AFL Listed players. I will still back them to win but not by alot.

Watched this game.Absolutely a cracker.Lions had 12 listed players and lost Harwood at half time as he emerg for main game and Thunder had 6 out with injury and players in Melb for indignious game committments.Lions will be very hard to hold out if they play 16/17 throughout the year.

Surprised Matt Shir and Phil Carse not in state squad.Thought selectors looking towards future draft players.Is Copeland aiming for another crack.Shir apparentally kicked 2 goals 6 yest and was best on ground by far by all reports.
Aspley lost another game they should have won,led Broadbeach by 5 goals deep into last qtr also and had Panthers on the ropes.Any reasons for these lapses.Also let gc off.Could well be 6 wins instead of 3

Good to see you shooting your big mouth off again Staminade and once again ill informed. Who stated that the state squad is for future draft picks. You are such a cluster

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strong looking squad. Interesting to note the assistant coaches, apart from Murray Davis all are ex southport players. I would've thought a spread of representatives from other clubs would be reasonable. How did the southport under 18's coach get a gig???

Maybe as a comp it is time we looked at an impartial coach for the state side? Just a thought, but it would be better than the potential for club bias, which has happened in the past. Although it might be a bit tricky for the league to make changes based on club bias, a little hypocritical perhaps?

Staminade,
Whatched the game at Graham Road yesterday, must say if the Hornets were 6 games in the black, the comp would be turned on its head as the close losses instead of wins would have asked where the original established clubs in the new vamped comp are really at present - in my humble opinion watch out for the sleeping Lion or should I say un - disciplined Hornets as they will sting a few could be May final asperants by seasons end - its a bit to early to call the final 5 at this time of the year - seems to me that this side plays on youth and passion with a coach and a club that is prepared to trust that youth and passion rather than pay big $$$$ for it

TOTALLY agree re comment about Shir & Carse....and the comment about the ridiculous situation where Southport have a monopoly on the coaching roles. Damn if they were so good they wouldnt be 1 & 6!!! Everyone gets the joke about the 'boys club', but really its time footy in this state grew up!

How Southport can even end up with 3 players in the squad defies belief.

The selction pays little respect to performances THIS year year.

Went down to watch the Vultures beat Broadbeach on the weekend and it was a quality game and Vultures only got away in last quarter. If Broady had kicked straight early, it may have been tough. Unbelievable that these guys only can get 2 blokes in the squad - the lowest of the 'mainstream' local Clubs yet they smashed both Morningside and Southport and beat Aspley

NT (7) 32 points
Mt Gravatt (7) 20 points
Redland (5) 12 points
Morningside (4) 16 points
Labrador (4) 12 points
Southport (3) 4 points
Aspley (3) 12 points
Broadbeach (2) 12 points

Lions (2)
Suns (2)

Maybe if all the coaches werent from the same club, there would have been a better opportunity for selectors to get out and watch all games over the weekend. I guess they were all at Southport on Saturday watching their team getting done by over 12 goals....one year we might get it right.

Southport dont know how to score. Watched the game v Redlands on Saturday and it was a very weak performance. Wise is their everywhere man and really lack depth outside their top few players. Cleve Hughes returning should help them some what as it will give them a decent body up forward and a target. Really got no big bodies and will relieve pressure off other guys and should be able to string the odd win together. When is he back anyone know?

Didnt get to watch Tigers in the Foxtel Cup. How did they look on TV? A polished outfit or 2nd rate?

TOTALLY agree re comment about Shir & Carse....and the comment about the ridiculous situation where Southport have a monopoly on the coaching roles. Damn if they were so good they wouldnt be 1 & 6!!! Everyone gets the joke about the 'boys club', but really its time footy in this state grew up!

How Southport can even end up with 3 players in the squad defies belief.

The selction pays little respect to performances THIS year year.

Went down to watch the Vultures beat Broadbeach on the weekend and it was a quality game and Vultures only got away in last quarter. If Broady had kicked straight early, it may have been tough. Unbelievable that these guys only can get 2 blokes in the squad - the lowest of the 'mainstream' local Clubs yet they smashed both Morningside and Southport and beat Aspley

NT (7) 32 points
Mt Gravatt (7) 20 points
Redland (5) 12 points
Morningside (4) 16 points
Labrador (4) 12 points
Southport (3) 4 points
Aspley (3) 12 points
Broadbeach (2) 12 points

Lions (2)
Suns (2)

Maybe if all the coaches werent from the same club, there would have been a better opportunity for selectors to get out and watch all games over the weekend. I guess they were all at Southport on Saturday watching their team getting done by over 12 goals....one year we might get it right.

What is the issue with the coaching - Jason Cotter has a greaty footy brain and is involved full-time in AFL, and of the so-called other "Southport" coaches - one lives on the Sunshine coast, one is an Assistant at the Lions and the other has no involvement with coaching at senior level. The ruck coach is from Morningside and the other coaches in Darwin.
Who is better qualified and more knowledgable ??

As for the players selected I think it is a good mix of players in form and those who are long term performers. Of the three Southport players - one is the reigning Grogan medallist and the other would be in the best 3 players in the comp for the past 6 years apart from his year at Sturt.

If players were to be picked on form alone as everyone is suggesting you would have 75% of the squad from NT! - I have no issues at all with the whole process and I wish the Qld coaches and players the best of luck

What is the issue with the coaching - Jason Cotter has a greaty footy brain and is involved full-time in AFL, and of the so-called other "Southport" coaches - one lives on the Sunshine coast, one is an Assistant at the Lions and the other has no involvement with coaching at senior level. The ruck coach is from Morningside and the other coaches in Darwin.

As for the players selected I think it is a good mix of players in form and those who are long term performers. Of the three Southport players - one is the reigning Grogan medallist and the other would be in the best 3 players in the comp for the past 6 years apart from his year at Sturt.

If players were to be picked on form alone as everyone is suggesting you would have 75% of the squad from NT! - I have no issues at all with the whole process and I wish the Qld coaches and players the best of luck

agree pretty good squad, carse,shir and kinch unlucky but it wouldve been tuff to pick. all the best to them

Declan Bevan, Robert Copeland, Reece Toye (Aspley), Mitch Golby, Niall McKeever (Brisbane Lions), Kallen Geary, Dayne Zorko (Broadbeach), Jake Crawford, Joel Tippett (Gold Coast Suns), Ryan Davey, Todd Grayson, Michael Gugliotta, Steve Wrigley (Labrador), Kent Abey, Caleb Brown, Paul Shelton, Adam Spackman (Morningside), Nathan Gilliland, Gavin Grose, John James, Albert Proud, Nathan Reid, Chris Smith, Josh Vearing (Mt Gravatt), Darren Ewing, Cameron Ilett, Karl Lohde, Shaun Tapp, Ross Tungatalum, Kenrick Tyrrell, Iggy Vallejo (NT Thunder), James Charlesworth, Scott Clouston, Brad Howard, Trent Manzone, Josh Pullman (Redland), Kurt Niklaus, Matt Payne, Danny Wise (Southport).

Ames, Tallan (SD)Bartholomew, Ray (WP)Blackwell, Luke (C)Brabazon, Ryan (C)Broadhurst, Blake (S)Broome, Lewis (C)Browne, Steven (WP)Cook, Ryan (SF)Fleay, Dion (WP)Geappen, Tim (SD)Guglielmana,Adam (SF)Hansen, Ashley (SD)Hutchings, Mark (WP)Jetta, Graham (SD)LeCras, Brent (WP)Lee, Brendan (EP)McDougall, Andrew (P)Miles, Luke (SD)Mitchell, Kane (C)Moody, Mathew (P)O’Brien,Rory (EF)Richardson, Ian (C)Rix, Michael (S)
Roach, Tom (SD)Roberts, Josh (SD)Salecic, Jason (WP)Shadbolt, Caleb (WP)Smith, Josh (EP)Teakle, Leith (EF)Thornton, Kristin (PT)Wilkes, Beau

This Qld team has potential for an upset, my proposed team from the above roster would be:

Gugliotta Niklaus Wrigley
Grayson Tapp Wise
Smith Zorko Vallejo
Manzone Abey Tangatalum
Geary Ewing Clouston

Tyrell Proud Ilett

Payne Crawford Vearing Gilliland

Emg: Golby Lohde Copeland

Queenslander.
Is the State Doctor from NT,Morningside,Sandgate or NZ?

Sorry Salmon ol mate - I dont subscribe to that theory. Its like rewarding long term players with a bonus year on the back of "they were good once or they have been good fo us in the past".

I dont give a fig if they were in the best for the past 6 year or a reigning Brownlow medalist, I am interested in their current form and simply - are they the best players right now? That Carse isnt considered in the best 42 in the comp is an insult to the player.

As I said some time ago, the Australian Olympic Swimming team is based on who is the best at a given time - not who won last years Commonwealth Games or World Cup Medal. Its based on current performances.

Yeh Maurie. I know there are some hard calls to make when selecting these sides but geez, to leave Carse out is just unbelievable.

Yeh Maurie. I know there are some hard calls to make when selecting these sides but geez, to leave Carse out is just unbelievable.

Very Interesting call on a few guys i thought but that whats you get when these games / squads come along. Not to see carse in the 42 odd is a massive shock. No Knowbal as a back Up for tyrell? would be very handy late in quarters and dangerous up forward (WA small defence). Shir (maybe not playing last year cost him)? Eagle would be a handy forward pocket? and to a lessor degree Sheahan (is just starting to fire up) and fife (rock solid all year)

Interesting read on the website about picking a side that will suit the venue... i hope the guys have done there research.

the only certainy is that NT will have the most players followed by Southport with 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back