Football Related Random Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

Introducing, The Random Thread:

In an effort to keep threads from being derailed (unintentionally or otherwise), occasionally mods will move posts from other threads to this 'catch-all' thread when they can't find a more appropriate home for them.

Feel free to continue the discussion but, because of its patchwork nature, be warned...things may get a little random. ;)

mickeyblueeyes37

Club Legend
Suspended
Nov 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
La Lakers,La Kings,Denver Broncos
Re: Has Daniel Rich signed with GWS

Daniel Rich I mean't not Black, was replying to the topic of the thread.Black has signed with the Lions.

mickeyblueeyes37

Club Legend
Suspended
Nov 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Re: Lions Reserves 2011

Jarred Polec might be home sick and wan't to be traded home next year.Otherwise I think the selection committee is to blame for constantly dropping him from the seniors it does effect some players confidence a bit.I would still play him this week maybe he needs to go home for a week and come back stronger.

Jarred Polec might be home sick and wan't to be traded home next year.Otherwise I think the selection committee is to blame for constantly dropping him from the seniors it does effect some players confidence a bit.I would still play him this week maybe he needs to go home for a week and come back stronger.

A bit confused. He's only been dropped once this year. :confused:

mickeyblueeyes37

Club Legend
Suspended
Nov 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

Well didn't get much of a go in the NAB cup, I lost in why they leave the best kid you got in the 2nd's.

You might be right Belgian my bad, think it's been twice now and listed but put on the emergency list.

mickeyblueeyes37

Club Legend
Suspended
Nov 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

Why would he stay on another year then ? He looks shot at the moment pace wise and his hammy don't have long left in it and a rebuilding process about to take full control, What do you do with him, his only holding back a young mid-fielders spot to reach 300 games, I may sound harsh but 2012 might just be a year too long, Unless his the sub everygame I can't fit him in. So with that it seems Rich might be gone and Black will play on due to that.

Why would he stay on another year then ? He looks shot at the moment pace wise and his hammy don't have long left in it and a rebuilding process about to take full control,
What do you do with him, his only hold back a young mid-fielders spot to reach 300 games I may sound harsh but 2012 might just be a year too long, Unless his the sub everygame I can't fit him in.

Not one logical statement in there. Black is still a good player, a great leader and definitely fit enough to play on.

mickeyblueeyes37

Club Legend
Suspended
Nov 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

I put 100 buck's on it to anyone on here that next year he will play 11 games top.He deserves to reach the 300 mark but not by running himself in to the ground.Daniel Rich is the only explanation in which I seeing him staying.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys

I put 100 buck's on it to anyone on here that next year he will play 11 games top.

Mate, you are babbling. The thread is about Daniel Rich staying/going.

You tried to say that Black signing on means Rich is gone. You haven't substantiated it it any way.

The crap about betting how many games Black is going to play next year is off-topic gibberish, and a textbook example of how you manage to cintinually derail threads into complete rubbish.

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I put 100 buck's on it to anyone on here that next year he will play 11 games top.He deserves to reach the 300 mark but not by running himself in to the ground.Daniel Rich is the only explanation in which I seeing him staying.
Rich needs someone feeding him the ball and Black is still the best we have at that. Until a couple of guys step up to do it better than an aging Black I think he has a place in our team on merit. His kicking has gone downhill but that might well be due to being severely restricted in his kicking practice wiht all the OP issues he has had over the last couple of years. If it is identified that he needs to practice more (and he does obviously) then there is no real reason why he could not get his kicking back to where it was.

Black in there takes some of the pressure off Rich and gives Rich a three time premiership player to learn from. Black is likely to be on a further downgraded contract next year and I hardly think resigning Black is going to affect the Rich signing in fact I think it will probably help.

mickeyblueeyes37

Club Legend
Suspended
Nov 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

What you on about you goose I stated the reason.Have F'N whinge why don't you.

1.Does not get along with Michael Voss.
2.1 Million plus a season and a flag with in 5 years.
3.Brisbane Lions make a early call to sign Simon Black on another year.
4.You have Polec, Redden, Rockliff, Adcock, Polkinghorne, O'Brein, Bewick, Raines, Banfield and Harwood who could all feel his role as of next year as you look to rebuild this this side.Which would be built around Rich, so if you take him out then Simon Black is the only answer.

5.You need stop jumping down peoples throat's and thinking your like the god's gift to the Lions,Go hand you resume and coach the side then if your so good.This is a forum we are entitled to our own Bloody say.

6.Was replying to Notting 18's comment.

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

4.You have Polec, Redden, Rockliff, Adcock, Polkinghorne, O'Brein, Bewick, Raines, Banfield and Harwood who could all feel his role as of next year as you look to rebuild this this side.Which would be built around Rich, so if you take him out then Simon Black is the only answer.

5.You need stop jumping down peoples throat's and thinking your like god's gift to the Lions,Go hand you resume and coach the side then.This is a forum we are entitled to our own Bloody say.
1. There seems to have been a significant change in Voss' coaching style this year coming out of the review and this seems to be playing well with the players. I have not heard one comment that has been anything other than very positive about Voss coming from any of the players. The not getting on with Voss seems like guess at the very best.
2. We are talking GWS here. No way are they flag within 5 years. Where they are will always make their life difficult. Its western Sydney FFS. No-one wants to live there and as soon as the players have a chance to get out of there they will especially if there is some form of free agency.
3. Maybe giving a club legend an extra year to help bring on the kids might improve the culture in the club by showing respect, take the pressure off the youngsters to shoulder the load on their own and have someone in the group who has experienced sustained success at this level.
4. Redden and Rockliff are already there. Polec can't even make the side adn is an outside player. Bewick, O'Brien and Banfield have shown little or no ability to win the inside ball. Adcock is an integral part of our defence. Raines is a tagger and very ordinary in clearance situations. Polkinghorne has been given a lot of chances to cement a midfield role and has largely failed to show any proficiency as yet. Harwood is an inside player and there is already a spot there for him if he is good enough similarly with Beams and Green.
5. The midfield is already being built around the young players and Rich, Redden and Rockliff in particular. That is why Power has rarely been in the midfield this year. That young midfield though has struggled at the clearances and in defensive transition. Black remains one of our best clearance players despite the attention he gets. Throwing another young player into an already struggling midfield will not help them succeed if it just makes them worse.
6. How is Black the only answer? He has only one year left and nothing is built around him.

5.You need stop jumping down peoples throat's and thinking your like god's gift to the Lions,Go hand you resume and coach the side then.This is a forum we are entitled to our own Bloody say.

1. How do you know this? As much evidence that Rich doesn't get along with Voss as Rich is secretly Arnie's lovechild.
2. $ maybe, but the flag is far from a done deal.
3. Is irrelevant. Black is a good player, plays a different role and is a great leader for Rich to learn off. By this logic, Dale Thomas will be leaving Collingwood because they re-signed Pendlebury and Swan
4. Rich is better, or as good, as basically everyone on that list. Also, how can 'they all play his role' but then 'Simon Black is the only answer'

You must be smarter than this. If you can turn on a computer you must be smarter than this...

Well didn't get much of a go in the NAB cup, I lost in why they leave the best kid you got in the 2nd's.

You might be right Belgian my bad, think it's been twice now and listed but put on the emergency list.

The reality is Mickey that he's a first-year player who's shown glimpses but is obviously lacking in some things that the coaches want to see. Being a #4 draft pick does not entitle you to anything.

mickeyblueeyes37

Club Legend
Suspended
Nov 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

1. There seems to have been a significant change in Voss' coaching style this year coming out of the review and this seems to be playing well with the players. I have not heard one comment that has been anything other than very positive about Voss coming from any of the players. The not getting on with Voss seems like guess at the very best.

Was stated many times through 2010 that Daniel Rich was not seeing eye to eye with the coach.

2. We are talking GWS here. No way are they flag within 5 years. Where they are will always make their life difficult. Its western Sydney FFS. No-one wants to live there and as soon as the players have a chance to get out of there they will especially if there is some form of free agency.

They will get that flag and Poach good enough talent to do so,Sydney has a better living environment compared to Adelaide and has a lot for it when you don't look to the bad side of thing's.It's the city of the Rich if you got the money then Sysney is great place to live.You got celebrates from all over the world and huge party's if you got the dollars you'll get invite to one of these.

3. Maybe giving a club legend an extra year to help bring on the kids might improve the culture in the club by showing respect, take the pressure off the youngsters to shoulder the load on their own and have someone in the group who has experienced sustained success at this level.

Simon Black aren't going to help these kid's as they will try to relie on him to much.It's the same with the Jonathan Brown factor, they need to learn on there and move forward next year.Just like Richmond has done with Ben Cousins for example but letting him go they have became a better side in the midfield.We have the worst Midfield going around and there to slow and Black is losing the pace of the game very fast.Though he may get the ball a'lot and have the kicking skills,the other other aspect's of the game are a worrying sign they game has become fast his hamstrings are just hanging in there and after 3 years of pushing them to the limits they will eventually come to a end.

4. Redden and Rockliff are already there. Polec can't even make the side adn is an outside player. Bewick, O'Brien and Banfield have shown little or no ability to win the inside ball. Adcock is an integral part of our defence. Raines is a tagger and very ordinary in clearance situations. Polkinghorne has been given a lot of chances to cement a midfield role and has largely failed to show any proficiency as yet. Harwood is an inside player and there is already a spot there for him if he is good enough similarly with Beams and Green.

Todd Banfield played one game in the midfield and that was the Nab Cup,His pace around the middle was brilliant he ran and carried it from half back and kicked a goal,he also tackles very well and is wasted in the forward line he could easily be the next Brent Harvey if given the chance.

You can't judge Polec based on playing in the 2's he needs to be played where he can learn the game and I think will become a great midfielder maybe play a Andrew Lovett type role.Has good pace and can brake the lines and kick goals.

Andrew Raines is your tagger, so automatically gets the number one tagging job and I'm
happy with what he has done so far.

Rohan Bewick has some nice foot skills and generates a'lot of the ball on the wings and get hit a leading target up forward.Though since the hamstring injury lack a bit of confidence.

Polkinghorne is a tough one I think Raines has took his roll over so I would leave he as a half forward.Though he did a good job in 2010 on G.Ablett.

Green haven't seen much of him, so hard to judge.

Jesse O'Brien I like him for some strange reason,he seems to be the forgotten one and always finds space and gets a bit of the ball and is okay by foot his developing slowly so see what happen.

5. The midfield is already being built around the young players and Rich, Redden and Rockliff in particular. That is why Power has rarely been in the midfield this year. That young midfield though has struggled at the clearances and in defensive transition. Black remains one of our best clearance players despite the attention he gets. Throwing another young player into an already struggling midfield will not help them succeed if it just makes them worse.

Since taking Power out, I see no reason why taking Black out will make a difference in 2012.The kids can then gel together and learn how to play together can't rely on the old fellers forever.

6. How is Black the only answer? He has only one year left and nothing is built around him.

Well if Daniel Rich goes I see a lack of leadership there and a game braker as then Redden and Rockliff will be tagged out and the Midfield will struggle.Rockliff is your next Simon Black type passionate and has more in the bank skill wise.Redden is your in and under player goes in hard and lays a'lot of tackles and tries to win the ball.

Anyway stop making silly threads dedicated to my name pretty bloody childish of you lot.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

Was stated many times through 2010 that Daniel Rich was not seeing eye to eye with the coach.

If it was stated many times, you should have no problem finding a source. Please private at your earliest convenience.

Was interesting hearing Scott Cummings on the weekend on Triple M when asked about Voss. Said that Daniel Rich absolutely loves him.

mickeyblueeyes37

Club Legend
Suspended
Nov 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

Don't you think with the current situation we are in with Vossy, the players will continue defend him?

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I lived in one of the rich suburbs of Sydney and it was nice. It and others like it are about an hour from training. Sydney is horrible to get around and where they are based makes things worse. Western Sydney is a very challenging place socially and with drug and voilence issues. If you paid me a hell of a lot I would work there but would be looking for every chance to move somewhere else. I would much prefer Adelaide.

The thing is I don't think they rely on Black too much. He is important but he is not the guy they look to give the ball to at every opportunity. That is already Rich I think. You do make a fair point about Cousins but I will say that Cousins was brought in for 2 years to help the Richmond young mids when they needed the guidance and Richmond still have more older mids than we do eg Foley.

On the mids you mention most are already playing with Black in the side and as I mentioned none of them play the role Black plays. It is not like he is playing as the ruck where there is only one spot. There are a lot of mid spots there and there is still a niche that he fills which no-one else has stepped up to atm. When we have 3 or 4 others who do it as well as Black then I am sure they will get their chance.

The thing is you need balance. No completely young midfield ever succeeds. Having a midfield made up totally of guys under 22 is a recipe for disaster and could perpetuate the problem.

I have no idea what your point is on the last point. Should Black and Rich go then these other guys would be the focus of additional attention. Yep. If Rich goes and Black stays then they are probably still going to be the centre of attention as they have moved past Black as the dangerous players with the ball. Rich already gets the no 1 tag. Black gets attention in the clearances but rarely elsewhere now and that is unlikely to change next year no matter if Rich is there or not.

mickeyblueeyes37

Club Legend
Suspended
Nov 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

Foley is 26 this year and Jackson 25 so that is where you make a trade.=) this time you don't go for the Injury prone ones.

Letting Sherman goes looks like a bad move.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

Letting Sherman goes looks like a bad move.

Well firstly, we didn't let him go. He wanted out to go to a "successful club culture"... hope he enjoyed the 120 point flogging yesterday.

Secondly, Sherman would be utterly useless in our team at the moment. The last thing a battling midfield needs is frontrunners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back