Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

Stevie Ray Swan

Team Captain
Apr 12, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
This guy has huge potential and i'm sure he will come good with goals at some point, but he almost lost us the game today. What is up with this guy. Natural footballer, great to watch, but geez, his conversion rate is woeful. What is he doing wrong? How could he improve his return for effort, because god knows he needs to if he is to become the potent forward we all know he could be. How would he combine with Jesse White?

His game was just what you would want from him as a CHF, leading up and taking contested marks. He was your most dangerous target up forward and his kicking let him down but he certainly wasn't alone in that. If he can fix that, he looks to be a future superstar.

Very harsh call IMO.

no good leading up and taking marks and being dangerous if you cant convert. This wasnt the first time and is becoming a trend. Im just saying, the guy needs to convert. yes the whole team was woeful in front of goals today agreed. This kind of finishing will cost us big time eventually, like a top four spot. And the better teams will certainly make us pay for such waywardness.

just not good enough from professional footballers IMO!

In a lot of ways I think today was one of his best games today. While he has looked good with his marking for a while he has never convinced me he could kick bags of goals, but today he really turned that corner with 7 scoring shots. If he kicks straight he ends up with 5.2 or 6.1 and that's a great return from a forward.

Very harsh in the conditions, don't think Riewoldt kicked more than him.

I'd get him practicing his kicking a whole lot this week. Tell him that he played a great game, it's just a matter of getting your kicking right, and hopefully when he's taking set shots against Carlton he's able to focus and do what he did all week.

He's a kid he missed a few and it got harder and harder but he kept trying kept presenting and he can work on his mental skills, come with experience. Sam Reid is a positive this season

Agree with this post, seems other teams supporters think he is great!! He will come to grips with the conversions, he was not the only one. I agree our kicking was deplorable and embarrassing, but Reid should not be the one to cop the flak.

Doesn't deserve a bagging on today's performance, particularly after knowing we won the game. He knows where to go to present, works tirelessly, gets front position, and generally has quite sticky hands.

He showed today he's not one-dimensional either. I think he won two HTB free kicks, and he was dishing off slick, intelligent handballs too.

Sure, his kicking needs to improve, but there is so much to love about this young man.

I'm just watching the game again, and I think I was a little harsh of my initial assessment of Reid today.

I sometimes let my emotions get the best of me. :eek:

It appears he did actually have a good game. If he had converted his set shots, he'd easily be one of the BOG.

PS. Liz, maybe you get this all the time, but I've been a big fan of your posts for years now, I've just never said it. Most of the time your posts are spot on. :thumbsu:

Reid's confidence in contests is improving greatly. He is getting his body into a sensational position and really competes so well. Is smart, quick and those hands.

His kicking will improve. He doesn't seem to have a very consistent run in towards goal, add to that he is not kicking through the ball and it is no wonder he is shanking his kicks.

He is however a talent. We have somehow gotten two with the other being Alex Johnson. That is without mentioning Rohan!

Things are lookin good.

We didn't need a Reid Roast thread this early, you could argue that yesterday's game was his most promising and he looked like a true CHF (I've only seen highlights).

The kid is such a great find, just watch him develop into a star player for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All our forwards had the yips today but Reid looked the best of them. In reality Everitt's our only consistent forward from set shots this year but Reid has more impact on a contest. The best thing is we've shaken out a whole bag of potential young forwards who are only going to get better. Maybe Bradshaw needs to be giving clinics.

Goal kicking is a skill, whereas Jettas speed or Mumfords strength just come natural. He's tall, clearly a great mark and we just need to hope that hes at least 50% in a few years. He will improve with age as a KPP.

Goal kicking is a skill, whereas Jettas speed or Mumfords strength just come natural. He's tall, clearly a great mark and we just need to hope that hes at least 50% in a few years. He will improve with age as a KPP.

In terms of general development i agree but what is worrying is that kicking skills rarely improve. If Reid can't get his set shot accuracy up then he will never live up to his potential.

Collingwood were in the exact same predicament with Ben Reid.He could get the ball all right but his kicking for goal was terrible (worse than Sams).They took him back to the seconds and taught him defensive skills and we all know the results of that.Maybe we could play Sam out of the backpocket for a while?

I think there is a better chance a KPF can improve his goal kicking than improve his contested marking. So in that sense, I think Reid has got the harder factor under his belt already (not entirely of course, he's only 19 and will improve more but you get what I mean). His positioning at CHF for a kid is already really good.

He looks like he has a really fluid and smooth kicking action so I think he will be able to fix that as his career goes on. Certainly doesn't deserve a roast after his 1st half yesterday.

Reid accuracy is concerning and i just hope he doesn't let this get in his head. Even though they won the game, the margin was too close. (Props to our Defense)

If next two weeks he does poorly then that may be call for the reserves.

I would just leave him in the side for the time being. He's providing a target for us up forward unlike Jesse White was previously and the more game time and practice in front of goals, his accuracy will only get better with time. He isn't too far away from a Rising Star nomination, if he keeps up with his form. I'll leave him in, as he's always providing a contest. Hopefully, his goalkicking accuracy will only get better with time.

Just keep him going Stevie Ray. He is magnet like and will attract ball and bumbling back for our betterment. I feel his kicking will climb in conjuction with fitness and filling out.

it has the potential to be a confidence problem though, particularly as his first 4 behinds went right, his last hooked left, an overcorrection and his face said a bit.

While he is still winning the ball in the style he was yesterday he stays in the team and told to keep at it. there is no doubt the club and Reid will be working on remedial action by tomorrow and possibly early this afternoon. Goodes also needs to be in these meetings and training sessions.

His game was just what you would want from him as a CHF, leading up and taking contested marks. He was your most dangerous target up forward and his kicking let him down but he certainly wasn't alone in that. If he can fix that, he looks to be a future superstar.

Very harsh call IMO.

Totally agree, he was fantastic, his kicking let him down but he was our dangerous forward target.

Very strange thread :confused:

Too harsh OP. Probably the best game Reid has played for the club, he presented well and won the contested footy. Obviously his kicking was woeful but remember he's only 19 so he has time on his side to work on his kicking and produce the goods. Travis Cloke is a perfect example, one of the best in the business for a contested mark and presenting but couldn't kick straight to save his own life, that has changed somewhat this year with new techniques. Buddy would've had the Coleman in the bag already if he wasn't so inaccurate. Straight kicking for goal is hard to master. I'm confident Reid's kicking in future won't be a problem like we saw yesterday.

In terms of general development i agree but what is worrying is that kicking skills rarely improve. If Reid can't get his set shot accuracy up then he will never live up to his potential.

This is exactly the point of my post. It is not an attack on Sam Reid at all, he is a very likeable player to watch. But much like Jesse White, who could be a star also, unrealised potential at the end of the day is of little value, no matter how well a player presents, takes a mark, or runs into the right space. Sure, give him the benefit of the doubt for now, but comes a time when the man needs to stake his claim and start kicking goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back