tb_fanboy

Cancelled
NFL Prediction Comp Participant
Mar 1, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Denver, UO, NY
Want your opinions, I'm going on a hunt to watch some and want to know the best.
I've been recommended "high noon" and "the unforgiven" by one of my teachers.
For me it would have to be "The Searchers". A really good story line and acting. I also liked the original True Grit by wouldn't rate it as the best.:thumbsu:

You have your Peckinpah

* The Wild Bunch

* Pat Garret and Billy The Kid

Your Leone/Clint

* The Man With No Name trilogy (A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More and the best one, The Good The Bad and The Ugly)

Your Clint

* High Plains Drifter
* Pale Rider

Obvious ones, but try them first.

Yeh I've seen the man with no name trilogy, it's great.

Love High Noon . Whenever I think of High Noon that silly title song starts runnign through my head..clip clop. John Wayne was upset with the movie calling it unamerican! He made Rio Bravo as a response, interesting to check out.

Shane / Pale Rider - both great westerns about a gunman trying to go straight up a ruthless land owner and his hired thugs to the professional gunslinger/s.

Clint's films like Unforgiven, The outlaw Josey Wales and The Good Bad and the Ugly all well worth a visit.

Love Rusty in the remake of 3:10 to Yuma.

The Magnificient Seven and Butch Cassidy & the Sundance kid also good value.

Righto then:

Have to say my favourites would be Shane and The Ox-Bow Incident

• The Ox-Bow Incident
  • Shane
  • High Noon
  • Rio Bravo
  • Stagecoach
  • The Searchers
  • Duel in the Sun
  • Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
  • Winchester 73
  • Cimarron
  • Dances with Wolves
  • Blazing Saddles

Thanks alot Ferris and RH! Appreciated.

Maybe my favourite genre. Not including broadly-termed Westerns (The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, No Country for Old Men etc) here are my favourites:

• Once Upon a Time in the West
  • The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
  • Unforgiven
  • High Noon
  • Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
  • 3:10 to Yuma (remake)
  • Dances With Wolves
  • Shane
  • Tombstone

Interesting that I have more modern Westerns than old ones. Despite not being a movie, this seems as appropriate a time as any to bring up Lonesome Dove and how amazing it is. Might just be my favourite production of all time.

Agree with a lot already posted ie The Searchers, High Noon, The Unforgiven, Shane etc and I'd add,

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance with Jimmy Stewart and John Wayne and a modern one, Silverado.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wild Bunch and Butch cassidy and the sundance kid are my clear favourites. Sorta coincidence that both are set in the period where the wild west era was almost done.

Other faves a would be the Searchers, True Grit, Liberty Valance, and of course the man with no name flicks mentioned earlier. Magnificent 7, Shane

All winners

Randolph Scott had been a mainstay of the genre since the early 1930s. Always reliable he was a good, solid westerner whose films, whilst enjoyable, rarely rose above the status of programmer.

But then, in 1956 he teamed up with director Budd Boetticher to make Seven Men From Now. A trim and terrific tale of revenge and obsession, it inverted Scott's easy-going persona to that of a weathered, cold and vengeful cowboy. Running under 80 minutes it is a prime example of a script pruned of all its unnecessary elements. One of the greats.

Over the next four years Scott and Boetticher were to make another 6 films, all in a similar vein and of near equal quality - The Tall T, Decision At Sundown, Buchanan Rides Alone, Westbound, Ride Lonesome andComanche Station.

Two years later Scott was to make one final feature, this time with Sam Peckinpah directing. Guns in the Afternoon AKA Ride The High Country is the director closing the chapter on the classic studio western and, as far as I am concerned, he never made a better film (and yes, I adore The Wild Bunch).

All mine have been mentioned but they deserve another mention.

As much as I love Clint Shane is the greatest western ever made(that I've seen)and a must for all western fans.

Clint's excellent homage Pale Rider is also well worth seeing.

Also the dark High Plains Drifter & The Outlaw Josey Wales are essential Clint westerns.

Also Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid,High Noon & Dances With Wolves.

200px-Best_Western_logo.svg.png

Once upon a time in the west would be my favorite by an absolute mile. So many great scenes: The stand off at the end brings chills every time, Bronson getting off the train at the start, "I didn't let them kill him, and that's not the same thing." scene is brilliant as well.

Rio Bravo, High Noon, The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, The Magnificent Seven could all be my second favorite on any given day.

I also enjoyed Maverick and Blazing Saddles growing up, they helped pave the way to my love of the genre.

The Horse Soldiers
The antagonism and jostling between John Wayne and William Holden's characters is classic.

I gained a similar appreciation with The Cowboys where John Wayne and Roscoe Lee Browne had a similar dynamic.

Shane. A classic tale of good v bad and redemption.

Alan Ladd is fantastic and Jack Palance is the baddest baddie of my childhood. Palance reprised the role and had great fun doing it in City Slickers.

Others have mentioned all the great ones that I can think of but Shane is my favourite by a long way.

The Granddaddy of all Westerns:

Lonesome Dove - it's a mini series but nothing else comes close. Wonderful story, wonderful characters, wonderful score, brilliant cast.

(I wouldn't bother with the umpteen sequels and prequels though)

Once Upon A Time In The West. Could have picked any of Leone's but this is his Opus Maximus.
Shane: Great film, for the reasons mentioned elsewhere in this thread
The Unforgiven: Myth-busting Clint, great performances all round.
The Wild Bunch: Hard to choose my fave Peckinpah western, just pips "Ride the High Country" and "Major Dundee"
The Searchers: Epic
Blood On The Moon: Directed by Robert Wise and starring the greatest actor of all time, Robert Mitchum. Western Noir. Underrated classic.

Would like to include El Topo, but was too wasted on acid to provide a review. Loved it at the time . .

My two standouts are The Good, the bad & the ugly and Once Upon a Time in the West.

Tuco from "TGTB&TU" is one of my favourite movie characters.

Leone was great at making his "bad" characters more human & humane and all round more likeable (Tuco, Cheyenne) than the "good" characters who are actually bad in good's clothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back