toughest AFL players

Remove this Banner Ad

God you speak some s**t.

Hodge is universally regarded as one of, if not the toughest and most couraegous player in the comp. He was voted most courageous by his peers last season.

I trust and value the players opinions more than yours. In fact, I pretty much value anyones opinion more than yours.

That's great.

You want find one Fremantle player who rates his toughness.

He went at the kids last year and hid in his shell when the return fire came his way. It was spoken about by the players during the course of the game.

Grimacing does not make you tough either.

Hodge is a flat track bully who played a standout game across half back in a grand final.

If he's happy to dine out on that the rest of his career so be it.

Meanwhile the likes of Bartel, Judd and Ball continue to pit him further in their rearview mirrors as both players and leaders of men.

Lol some of the players mentioned in this thread shows just how soft the game has become. Most of the guys listed would of got snapped in half even 10yrs ago. Courageous yes they are, but tough you need to at least of layed out some players in your career and be feared by the opposition to be called tough. Unfortunately the 'tough guy' in the AFL no longer exists, thanks AFL!

Lol some of the players mentioned in this thread shows just how soft the game has become. Most of the guys listed would of got snapped in half even 10yrs ago. Courageous yes they are, but tough you need to at least of layed out some players in your career and be feared by the opposition to be called tough. Unfortunately the 'tough guy' in the AFL no longer exists, thanks AFL!

Id take someone who wins the ball and collects the man first, I'd take a bloke who wins the ball second, I'd take the bloke who goes after the man last.

All the tough blokes are in the country leagues where a too high free kick is a clothes-line tackle. They don't want to play the weak as piss AFL "can't touch him" interpretation of the rules.

Myth.

Gives off an outward vibe of being a tough man, very soft when leaned on.

The real toughmen of the game don't let you know they're hurt.

I think it's the blokes who smash into every contest are the ones who deserve praise, Judd, Black, Kerr, Ball, Deboer, Griffen, Hayes, Cothchin.

Love the way these guys go about it.

Brad Sewell then :)

My rugby loving girl friend keeps going on about how afl is soft, and no afl player would stand a chance against any rugby player. I tried to explain to her there is a lot more to afl than just being big, and heavy, but she's stubborn when it comes to rugby :(

It got me thinking about who the toughest AFL players actually are, both current and past.

I remember years ago they had a charity boxing match between AFL players and NRL players, from memory most of the AFL players got walloped.

If there was to be a similar event, who would be the best AFL players you would pick?

Some that come to mind are:

Obviously Barry Hall with his boxing background

Jonathan Brown - He is a giant

Setanta O'hailpin - crazy Irish

Mitch Robinson - not the biggest bloke, but does not feel pain and he is a psycho

Other than Mark Jackson's mismatch with Mel Meninga and Big Monky sticking out his jaw and asking to be hit by a blind desperate swing the bouts were very close. I remember the Brisbane Lions bloke Matt Kennedy knocked out the Rugby League bloke in the first bout of the night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Myth.

Gives off an outward vibe of being a tough man, very soft when leaned on.

The real toughmen of the game don't let you know they're hurt.

I think it's the blokes who smash into every contest are the ones who deserve praise, Judd, Black, Kerr, Ball, Deboer, Griffen, Hayes, Cothchin.

Love the way these guys go about it.

pretty hard to hide the pain when you have broken ribs. how does hodge not smash into every contest? first player to put his body on the line every week.

Brown
Hodge
Sloane
Judd
Boyd
Watson
Ward
Morris
Hocking
Priddis
Cotchin
Toovey
Cloke
Rivers
Moloney
Sewell
Selwood
Bartel
Swallow
Bolton
Hayes
Goddard

These are the guys who are actually tough, always first to the ball, standing in front of a pack, never shirking a contest. I dont count players who go the man as tough, such as Brown, Waters, Hunt, Maxwell.

pretty hard to hide the pain when you have broken ribs. how does hodge not smash into every contest? first player to put his body on the line every week.

See this is a fallacy.

I've lost count of the times I've seen Hodge beaten to the ball by a more committed opponent and I've lost count of the times I've seen Hodge acknowledge this and try to cover his initial lack of minerals by getting angry and roughing the opponent up in a tackle or jumper punch routine.

Actually watch the player for what he is rather then buy into a narrative which lost it's credibility years ago.

Mitch Robinson comes to mind. He's not the most talented footballer but he's the sort of guy you would love to be playing next to. Never squibs a contest and you always know what you're going to get from him, would love him at the Dons.

We play and watch Aussie Rules for the high marks, the electric speed the games played at and the amazing goals kicked, I couldn't give a flying **** what Rugby players think of our code. And since when does standing under a ball with a full forward crashing into the back of you not require toughness? Sorry but this sport is far from soft.

There is tough, then there is keyboard warrior tough. It all looks easy on the box or from the stands. A few weeks ago the muppet that ran onto the ground at AAMI Stadium shat his pants when he saw Q Lynch on a lead heading in his direction.
Still the best game on the planet and one of the toughest.

See this is a fallacy.

I've lost count of the times I've seen Hodge beaten to the ball by a more committed opponent and I've lost count of the times I've seen Hodge acknowledge this and try to cover his initial lack of minerals by getting angry and roughing the opponent up in a tackle or jumper punch routine.

Actually watch the player for what he is rather then buy into a narrative which lost it's credibility years ago.

Hodge is in the top 3 at his club for most pressure acts, and this from a player who had an interrupted preseason and nursing an achilles.

I know how much you hate the fact you can't come down to see the Hawks Reserves play but this Saturday on ABC TV they will be showing Box Hill.

How exciting for you, you can watch Hawks twice this weekend! :eek:

Rugby don't have to take a hit from 360 degrees with no opportunity to protect themselves.
Take more courage to play footy than any other sport in world.

Example

I have played footy for years
I have fought competitively in ring in thai boxing

If I did the right thing (can check block avoid contact) in boxing I would not get ko'd.

In footy if the ball is in air I have to stand there and mark it even though I know the pack is coming.
I do the right thing and get someone put a knee elbow fist hip shoulder through the back of my head resulting in possible KO even though I have done the right thing.

That's courage.

Mitch Robinson
Heath Scotland
Jonno brown
Bartel

All come to mind

God you speak some s**t.

Hodge is universally regarded as one of, if not the toughest and most couraegous player in the comp. He was voted most courageous by his peers last season.

+1.

Most respected non-Dogs player for mine. Obviously some people didn't watch the 2008 GF.

One of the most deserving Norm Smith winners I can recall. IIRC got pretty banged up and just kept on putting his body on the line.

All the tough blokes are in the country leagues where a too high free kick is a clothes-line tackle. They don't want to play the weak as piss AFL "can't touch him" interpretation of the rules.

Any clown can break the rules. Doesn't make them tough.

Anyway, my choices are Jude Bolton, Matt Priddis and Alan Toovey. All three run straight at the ball with fearless courage, cop their hits and keep on going without complaint.

It's not so hard to be tough when u know what's coming like you do in rugby.

Tough is standing your ground when you dont know what's coming.

As such you cant really compare.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back