toughest AFL players

Remove this Banner Ad

See this is a fallacy.

I've lost count of the times I've seen Hodge beaten to the ball by a more committed opponent and I've lost count of the times I've seen Hodge acknowledge this and try to cover his initial lack of minerals by getting angry and roughing the opponent up in a tackle or jumper punch routine.

Actually watch the player for what he is rather then buy into a narrative which lost it's credibility years ago.
Did Hodgey do something horrible to your family?????

See this is a fallacy.

I've lost count of the times I've seen Hodge beaten to the ball by a more committed opponent .

Yes!

Despite Hodge being voted by his peers as most courageous, you and you alone have noticed this glaring fault.

I fear some mass hypnosis has affected the rest of the football watching public!

You must tell them the truth! Tell them all! Do not rest until the world understands!

This is your burden; such is the lonely path of the true seer.

There is nothing tougher than running back with the flight of the ball going for a mark - it's the fact you don't know what could happen that makes it a tough act

running in to half a team of opponents and trying to break through their tackles is only slightly tough - there's an expectance to get tackled (in league/union)

yes you could argue you could expect to get cleaned up running backwards with the flight of the ball, but you can't see it

oh and MDB > Waters for toughness

No. Nobody is tougher than waters, just as nobody is tougher than lenny hayes. They are two examples of players who can't go any higher in the courage/toughness scales. There are others as well. Hodge imo is. Campbell brown fits the "flat track bully" title that gordon gecko is on about moreso than hodge, imo anyway.

[YOUTUBE]LqLuGz7j5Go[/YOUTUBE]

No. Nobody is tougher than waters, just as nobody is tougher than lenny hayes. They are two examples of players who can't go any higher in the courage/toughness scales. There are others as well. Hodge imo is. Campbell brown fits the "flat track bully" title that gordon gecko is on about moreso than hodge, imo anyway.

Well obviously this Nobody bloke is the toughest. And if I remember correctly, the only Australian sportsmen nicknamed Nobody was John Eales (Nobody's perfect).

I'm also interested in who is tougher out of Hayes and Waters if nobody is tougher than either of them??

Finally, won't it be great when rugby league is only played in backwater suburban leagues, which is it's final destination. Some good running work by the backs occasionally, but such a one dimensional game; it just doesn't offer enough to sports fans other than big hits.

[YOUTUBE]LqLuGz7j5Go[/YOUTUBE]

That is seriously a good "highlights" package. No freaky goals, no real amazing marks. But some of the best defensive acts you'd ever see. Would love to have him at our team; if he wasn't so injury prone.

Do you have footage of when Waters tackled someone, laid a shephard or something and then smothered the ball and then kicked the ball for a goal assist? It was against Port.

From a Doggies perspective:

Ward, Morris, Picken & Cross all have balls of titanium. Have zero fear of getting hurt. Morris for god sake played a finals series with a fractured leg!!! Ward gets pummeled every week but gets up again and again and again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When was this charity boxing match ? What were the results

You would be surprised. As stated previously the Jacko v Meninga fight was a mismatch. Jacko in his physical prime would have been a different story. At the time of the fight he looked like 150kg of flab and was never going to beat Big Mal. Monkey got smashed by Matt Geyer. The 2 fights that went the distance Rice v Gilmeister and Moore v Champion could have easily gone either way (fight was in Brisbane ad had a very pro NRL crowd) Also Matt KENNEDY from Brisbane Lions knocked Mark ‘Spud’ CARROLL (regarded at the time to be one of the toughest NRL players into the following week.

A guy I work with played top level NRL. By that I mean that he played first grade alongside the likes of Wally Lewis.

Having moved to Melbourne he took up Australian Rules Football to keep fit. I actually had this very conversation with him the other day and he was very quick to point out that Australian Rules Football is significantly tougher in terms of the physicality. He cited the following reasons:

1) most of the tackles in the NRL come for front on where you have braced for the contact..... and ALL of the bigger hits you can see coming.

2) the padding worn by NRL players makes a massive difference on impact.

3) in AFL the hits come from everywhere and many of them are at high speed and unsighted.

He pretty much said that there is no contest and that AFL players are as tough as any anywhere.

I'm also interested in who is tougher out of Hayes and Waters if nobody is tougher than either of them??

Neither. As far as being on the field and leaving nothing they both accomplish that. How can you give more than your all? How can you go harder at the ball than 100%?

If you never back down you're as tough as you can be, waters and hayes both are as tough as they can be.

That is seriously a good "highlights" package. No freaky goals, no real amazing marks. But some of the best defensive acts you'd ever see. Would love to have him at our team; if he wasn't so injury prone.

Do you have footage of when Waters tackled someone, laid a shephard or something and then smothered the ball and then kicked the ball for a goal assist? It was against Port.

Nah not my footage sorry mate.

Luke Ball is an absolute machine in close. I cant believe how many frigging hits this guy takes, and still gets up contest after contest after contest, like its nothing. And he hardly ever complains, or acts for frees. Absolutely tough, gun of a player.

But lets get real here, there are two types of tough, whether people like to admit it or not. Now like I said, ball is one of the toughest, along with Hayes and the usual suspects. Daisy is also as tough as they come.

But put any of these guys in the ring or in a dark alley with Hall or brown or Cloke, and there's no way they would some how magically become tougher than the big guys. Big and strong will always be big and strong at the end of the day.

luke ball, nick maxwell, liam picken, callan ward, cambell brown, jonathon brown, joel selwood, steven baker,mitch robinson,beau waters

I equate "toughness" with courage.

Past: Archer/Colbert/Gavin Brown

Present: Johnathan Brown.

Future: Ziebell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back