Tertiary and Continuing Going to a Lecture without paying a fee?

Remove this Banner Ad

Subaru Impreza

Cancelled
Feb 21, 2009
Australia
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Glory Lakers ManC Patriots WCE Freo
I was wondering, is it illegal to go for a university postgraduate lecture? without paying any fees. I only need the knowledge and don't need to paper/mark/certificates.

• Banned
I've been thinking about doing this myself, going to a few larger lectures in things I'm interested in but not sure whether to do as electives as part of my course.

As Logic said though, you don't get anywhere near the full benefit of the unit/subject by only attending lectures.

I have read about people doing it in the US, before actually enrolling since college is so expensive over there you don't really wanna stuff around in a course you aren't actually going to complete.

And theres even a bit about it in an english sitcom peep show :D "Mark: (Is that it? Is that how easy it is to steal some education? Bloody hell, who's in charge? The world's just people walking around, going in to rooms and saying things. It's all a big swizzle!)

Would depend on the course, subject, etc...but you'd probably have a much better shot with undergrad than postgrad.

You could always just show up to the first lecture, and if they're checking attendance just say you're in the process of enrolling (and don't come back for the second lecture), but if not you're in.

I did this the year before I went to university. There were three or four courses I was considering doing so I went in and sat on a lecture from each. The Business lecture just bored me to tears. I went into a Literature lecture and just sat there mesmerised. I knew that was what I wanted to do. So I enrolled in a BA with a double major in Literature and Music.

I am undergrad but I am sure judging by some of the my lectures there is no way they can tell you are a random bloke off the street, they dont take attendance.

• Banned
I think its a great thing that you can learn something additional without paying extra fees. Sure buy the resources (books) but when I think about it more, uni can be a free experience if u come there for the knowledge. I also think its great learning something without the additional baggage of ''exam pressure''. And with consultations (which are usually free for the students) they never ask for student ID's, you just come to the class. (You could hire a professional tutor which charge $50/hour.) Lecturers love it when you bring your eagerness to classes.

Im pretty sure you would get unnoticed if you went to any postgrad accounting, engineering, law class as the classes are too big and lecturers rarely do 'role checks'. You would probably get found out though in an MBA class though as more class discussion is required/or group activities.

You'd think it would be fairly easy at any decently sized lecture where they aren't going to remember too many faces. Role checks would just take too long. This very thought actually crossed my mind a couple of weeks ago.

I was wondering, is it illegal to go for a university postgraduate lecture? without paying any fees. I only need the knowledge and don't need to paper/mark/certificates.

Though I am studying at uni currently, I have purchased the texts for several other classes and attend the lectures sometimes. It doesn't hurt to get a head start on future subjects or just to learn something extra.

Imagine, of your own free will, choosing to go into a university so you can sit through a well worn three hour power point presentation on Mazlow, or some other example of largely real world irrelevant, theoretical Rohypnol thats only relevant to academics and researchers?

Jesus.

And without being enrolled in the subject, choosing to buy the courses $80 'approved' text book. Of all the books in the world, Uni text books are probably the last ones I would choose if I wanted to actually learn something.

And without being enrolled in the subject, choosing to buy the courses $80 'approved' text book. Of all the books in the world, Uni text books are probably the last ones I would choose if I wanted to actually learn something.

80 bucks? The 90's are over mate. You wouldn't walk out of a uni bookshop with change from $600 each semester if you brought every book "required"

I didn't buy a textbook in the last two years of my course. Anything I discovered I really needed about two weeks in I "borrowed on a long term basis" from the library. Take it back at the end of the semester, pay the bills, all is good.

I lecture at a university, and can tell you there is nothing stopping people attending lectures without being enrolled in a course. Universities are public buildings, so anyone can sit in a lecture hall and listen in on the material being delivered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see people often in the lectures that are not in the course. Though they are generally partners of people, or family/kids, etc.

postgrad? good luck they are usually really small classes and the lecturers will know who the people are having already seen them in their undergrad degree

postgrad? good luck they are usually really small classes and the lecturers will know who the people are having already seen them in their undergrad degree

You don't necessarily do your post grad at the same uni as your undergrad. Hell these days some people don't do it in the same field!!

There is at least 100 people in a lecture venue. It would be hard to tell if you were enrolled or not. Depends on the course too.

I don't think so, basically you can visit as much as you like, (courses where nobody will notice you since they are big ones) but in the end if you want to add it to your degree ir whatever you have to get the fee in(although fees are only marginal here and part of it is a half year public transport ticket)

My girlfriend had a friend studying medicine and somehow got into a class where they were dissecting an actual human body.

Not sure how the hell that happened.

If it's anything like my anatomy class (where we do the same thing), I wouldn't be surprised, especially if it's early in the semester. My friend snuck into ours too.

Nobody would notice if you sat in a lecture and you weren't part of the course... unless that lecture was really small. Even then they wouldn't care. I'd also say that at least 30% of people doing a course dont turn up for lectures. I did exams where I didn't even recognise half the people in the exam hall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back