Father-Son Strategy

Oct 7, 2007
Stage Left
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Currently our father-son recruiting strategy is to canvass all eligible young footy players, identify the good ones, then get them 'in the fold' early, training them up and helping them out with nutrition, fitness, and skills.

Then we draft them, and within one year every other kid who is drafted has caught up to whatever advantage we have given them. However, at the time of drafting, our interest and developmental input has:
a. Artificially pumped up their draft worth
b. Given a green light to any club to 'select' them, safe in the knowledge we have already committed to them and they won't have their bluff called

b might be bullshit, but a is definitely true. I think the club with all best intentions have got this arse about. Discuss.

Please note this is not a comment on the ability or potential of Wallis, Libba or Cordy. This is purely about our strategy in future.

We could take it even further. Imagine if we got Wallis on a cheezels and peanut butter diet and told him just to play table tennis for school sport last year. Woulda got him at pick 90.

None of our 3 father sons were taken above odds, they were all taken as unders as all were rated as 1st round picks. Next lot Beasley/Hunter who are coming through are not as highly rated and as such if a team were to put up their first round pick I am sure the dogs would let them pass.

It is no different to everyone knowing Sydney will be using first rounder on Mitchell, Melbourne will be using their's on Viney and Carlton on Buckley....you can't stash talent under the table it's not the 90's anymore.

cramdogs

Team Captain
May 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Everton
hook up wallis and libba with some of the local gun netballers (so the kid has the right skills for an evovled AFL game in 25 years).

RoyBoyTurnedDog

Team Captain
May 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The best strategy would be to convert all players into fundamentalist mormons, encourage polygamy and reap the benefits in 18 years. Imagine, from the backline:

Morris, Lake, Murphy
Murphy, Lake, Morris
Griffen, Cooney, Griffen
Higgins, Lake, Murphy
Murphy, Lake, Lake
F:Hudson, Cooney, Cooney
I/C: Hudson, Cooney, Griffen,Morris

And if we play Barry for 70 more games in the next 6 rounds, add a few Halls to that team. The only problem would be when all the Lake boys lose interest for a season and the Cooney knees all give way.

Or this might be safer:

Morris, Morris, Morris
Morris, Morris, Morris
Murphy, Murphy, Murphy
Morris, Morris, Morris
Morris, Morris, Morris
F: Murphy, Murphy, Murphy
I/C: Morris, Murphy, Morris, Murphy

Aug 15, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The best strategy would be to convert all players into fundamentalist mormons, encourage polygamy and reap the benefits in 18 years. Imagine, from the backline:

Morris, Lake, Murphy
Murphy, Lake, Morris
Griffen, Cooney, Griffen
Higgins, Lake, Murphy
Murphy, Lake, Lake
F:Hudson, Cooney, Cooney
I/C: Hudson, Cooney, Griffen,Morris

And if we play Barry for 70 more games in the next 6 rounds, add a few Halls to that team. The only problem would be when all the Lake boys lose interest for a season and the Cooney knees all give way.

Or this might be safer:

Morris, Morris, Morris
Morris, Morris, Morris
Murphy, Murphy, Murphy
Morris, Morris, Morris
Morris, Morris, Morris
F: Murphy, Murphy, Murphy
I/C: Morris, Murphy, Morris, Murphy

Murphy's body doesn't have the greatest reliability either and if they all needed a knee recon like Murph has than we'd be down 7 players for 1 season.

I propose this.

FB: Morris, Morris, Morris
HB: Morris, Morris, Morris
C: Morris, Morris, Morris
HF: Morris, Morris, Morris
FF: Morris, Morris, Morris
Fol: Morris, Morris, Morris
I/C: Morris, Morris, Morris, Morris

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
Murphy's body doesn't have the greatest reliability either and if they all needed a knee recon like Murph has than we'd be down 7 players for 1 season.

I propose this.

I wholeheartedly support this strategy.... :thumbsu:

RoyBoyTurnedDog

Team Captain
May 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I propose this.

I disagree. Unless there is a Rocca F/S selection playing for the pies, the Murphy knees will be fine.

TheHawk76

Debutant
Mar 11, 2010
Grovedale
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

LM FAO. But if it were possible, definately would.

geoffjennings79

Premiership Player
Apr 4, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You guys are really on to something. These are the best posts I've ever seen on this board! I think we could use a horses for courses policy though, e.g. play the Morris-18 against the Aints, the Lake-18 against the Roos, etc. Unfortunately we will need approx 600 players on our main list, but if they all share a name and paternity, perhaps they only count as one player?

RoyBoy, I am keen to investigate playing Hall for 70 more games this year. Perhaps we could get Cam Wight, Trent Bartlett, Kinglsey Hunter, Simon Cox and David Allday back and play them wearing Bazza masks?

I think this strategy should be the focus of the entire club.

Now, where did I leave those pills...

Lex22

Club Legend
Jun 8, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You guys are really on to something. These are the best posts I've ever seen on this board! I think we could use a horses for courses policy though, e.g. play the Morris-18 against the Aints, the Lake-18 against the Roos, etc. Unfortunately we will need approx 600 players on our main list, but if they all share a name and paternity, perhaps they only count as one player?

RoyBoy, I am keen to investigate playing Hall for 70 more games this year. Perhaps we could get Cam Wight, Trent Bartlett, Kinglsey Hunter, Simon Cox and David Allday back and play them wearing Bazza masks?

I think this strategy should be the focus of the entire club.

Now, where did I leave those pills...
Please don’t!
Some serious low-lungers right there. They were the dark days.
would get the big Cam Wight back with a Bazza mask though!

Footscrazy

Team Captain
Jun 18, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Cam Wight was absolutely hopeless, I have no idea how he stayed on the Doggies list for 5 years!?

Apr 22, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Imagine if we got Wallis on a cheezels and peanut butter diet and told him just to play table tennis for school sport last year. Woulda got him at pick 90.

Great post. I like this part in particular. Very responsible - you've got both food groups covered :D

BTW, can you imagine the team that the Saints will have in a few years? There'll be more father-son selections than they have draft picks.

Dec 12, 2007
The North
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
I propose this.

Have to disagree with that line up.

Needs more Griffen.

FB: Griffen, Morris, Morris
HB: Griffen, Morris, Griffen
C: Griffen, Griffen, Griffen
HF: Griffen, Morris, Griffen
FF: Griffen, Morris, Morris
Fol: Morris, Griffen, Griffen
I/C: Griffen, Griffen, Morris, Morris

FishCreekBandit

All Australian
Sep 8, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Would work better

FB: Morris, Darcy, Morris
HB: Morris, Darcy, Morris
HF: Morris, Darcy, Morris
FF: Morris, Darcy, Morris
Fol: Darcy, Darcy, Morris
I/C: Darcy, Morris, Morris,
Sub: Darcy

Interloper

Club Legend
May 1, 2011
Atherstone
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Mission Wrapped
The left turn in this thread is brilliant. Perhaps the “cream” of the dogs players should go into banking, if you know what I mean….

Interloper

Club Legend
May 1, 2011
Atherstone
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Mission Wrapped
The sire line is all well and good but don't underestimate the influence of the dam line and the dams sire

Interloper

Club Legend
May 1, 2011
Atherstone
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Mission Wrapped
Liz Ellis appeals. Strong bodied, good record on the track and hard as nails. By Griff perhaps...

RoyBoyTurnedDog

Team Captain
May 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It would require some "scientific help", but what about Michelle Timms and Callan Ward? That baby would be tough enough to cut its own umbilical cord.

Back