Longest quarter ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

The second term of the 1998 Round 17 clash between Carlton and the Western Bulldogs went for nearly 39 minutes. The Blues scored 11.2 in that term and the Bulldogs booted 6.3.

That is the longest quarter I can remember in recent memory.
I have a site on my own blog about high-scoring quarters titled “Century Quarter Aggregates”.

100 points has been scored in a quarter on 37 occasions, though there have been only four cases since and only one since 2002.

Although that quarter’s aggregate of 107 points is fourteen shy of the record 121 points between Fitzroy and St. Kilda fifteen years before that game to the round, I have no evidence that even with the 25-minute quarters used in 1993 and before there was a quarter going longer than thirty-nine minutes. I do possess reports from that Fitzroy/St. Kilda game and from the third highest-scoring quarter ever - the final quarter between North Melbourne and Richmond at the MCG in 1989. The 1983 game said
“the term ran longer than the timekeepers’ allotted 35 minutes”
With the 1989 game, I can recall listening on the radio and hearing that the North Melbourne v Richmond game was still going long after the other two games that Sunday afternoon (Brisbane v West Coast and Sydney v Collingwood) had finished. If my memory is correct, some radio stations broadcasted the last ten minutes or so as North Melbourne kicked ten goals to narrow a thirteen-goal lead established by the Tigers. The total score for the quarter was:

• North Melbourne 10.2 (62)
  • Richmond 8.5 (53)
    • Aggregate: 18.7 (115)
Football Year 1989 said “the quarter went for an amazing 38 minutes”. If true, it is a record for any final quarter even if its exact length has not been preserved.

Ones I recall:

The second quarter between the Hawks and the Bullies in 2001 went for 40 minutes and 39 seconds

The second quarter of the Round 17, 1998 game between the Bullies and the Blues went for 39 minutes and 46 seconds.

One quarter between the Blues and the Cats in the final round of 2001 seemed to go for 37 minutes.

I had a North and Port game on in 2006 on the AFL Match Centre and I got in the bath during the second quarter, when I got out it said the quarter had gone for 40 minutes. Maybe a glitch?

A Saints and Dees one back in 05 went for about 37 minutes.

Of course, I had to give an honourable mention to the Saints and Bombers one in 1996, the third quarter went for a whole 3 days. The lights and the TV cut out with 4 minutes left and the game had to resume the following Tuesday with 2 shorter halves

And that one between the Cats and Dees in 2001, third quarter went for 37 minutes when Jason Snell hurt his ankle so bad you could see the bone sticking out of his foot and in his sock.

Another one I remember going over 40 minutes was the final quarter of Sydney v Geelong at the SCG in 1993.
That was the one where Richard Osborne got flattened by friendly fire, and had to be put in a neck brace before the ambulance drove on the field to take him off.

Quarter with least time-on?

Whoof, how can quarters go that short? i mean, in a few of those there were 2 goals. Not many tackles eh?
It’s not really fair to compare quarters before 1994 with those since. Each quarter minus time-on went for 25 minutes before 1994 but only 20 minutes since.

An accurate comparison would be the quarter with least time-on. The one I know most about was the last quarter of the 1987 Collingwood versus North Melbourne game on a flooded VFL Park:
Code:
Collingwood       0-0 (0)   2-4 (16)   2-5 (17)   2-6 (18)
[COLOR="Blue"]North Melbourne   4-3 (27)  5-5 (35)  10-8 (68)  10-12 (72)[/COLOR]
As you can see, only 0-5 (5) was scored in this last quarter, and from the Name A Game DVD I bought of the match (but have lent out to gain copies of other games so I cannot check it now) I recall the last quarter contained merely one minute of time-on.

The following two games each had second quarters with only three behinds scored:
Code:
March 24, 1991, Subiaco Oval

[COLOR="Blue"]West Coast        3-2 (20)  3-4 (22)  10-6 (66)  14-15 (99)[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Navy"]Melbourne         0-1 (1)   0-2 (2)    1-5 (11)   2-8 (20)[/COLOR]

June 18, 1988, Moorabbin Oval

St. Kilda         2-2 (14)  2-4 (16)   2-7 (19)   3-12 (30)
Collingwood       2-4 (16)  2-5 (17)   7-8 (50)   7-9 (51)
The following two games had last quarters with only four and three behinds scored respectively:
Code:
July 13, 1991, Windy Hill (third last AFL match there)

Essendon          3-2 (20)  4-4 (28)   6-6 (42)   6-7 (43)
Richmond          0-5 (5)   5-11 (41)  7-15 (57)  7-18 (60)

July 6, 1996, MCG

Richmond          5-1 (31)  6-4 (40)   7-8 (50)   7-9 (51)
[COLOR="Blue"]West Coast        3-1 (19)  8-3 (51)  10-6 (66)  10-8 (68)[/COLOR]
These quarters would need to be investigated to see how much time-on they had. Chances are that the last quarter of the above-mentioned Richmond versus West Coast game would rank as the shortest quarter ever, since it was the only one that occurred after quarters were reduced in length to twenty minutes. That game should be available from Name A Game, but having the shortest quarter on record is by no means the primary statistical interest I would want when buying form them.

Re: Quarter with least time-on?

It’s not really fair to compare quarters before 1994 with those since. Each quarter minus time-on went for 25 minutes before 1994 but only 20 minutes since.

Keep in mind that they didn't stop the clock for every little holdup like they do now, e.g. the clock kept running when the umpire called for a ball-up.

Keep in mind that they didn't stop the clock for every little holdup like they do now, e.g. the clock kept running when the umpire called for a ball-up.
I had a look at that list of shortest quarters, and I have found that:

1. in the Essendon v Collingwood game, 2.6 (18) was scored
  2. in the West Coast v Western Bulldogs final, 1.8 (14) was scored
  3. in the Sydney v Geelong game, 2.4 (16) was scored
Nine third quarters (alone) since 1998 have had five or fewer aggregate scoring shots, and the last quarter of the 2004 Melbourne versus Sydney game had just one scoring shot full stop. Being at the roofed Docklands, there would not have been the many ball-ups one has at the MCG or Kardinia Park on wet days (which that day actually was), so by what other means could a quarter with a single scoring shot have more time-on than one with nine?

I had a look at that list of shortest quarters, and I have found that:

1. in the Essendon v Collingwood game, 2.6 (18) was scored
  2. in the West Coast v Western Bulldogs final, 1.8 (14) was scored
  3. in the Sydney v Geelong game, 2.4 (16) was scored
Nine third quarters (alone) since 1998 have had five or fewer aggregate scoring shots, and the last quarter of the 2004 Melbourne versus Sydney game had just one scoring shot full stop. Being at the roofed Docklands, there would not have been the many ball-ups one has at the MCG or Kardinia Park on wet days (which that day actually was), so by what other means could a quarter with a single scoring shot have more time-on than one with nine?

ONE SCORING SHOT? All I could remember in that round was Fraser Gehrig kicking 10 and Fremantle getting just 3.7

ONE SCORING SHOT? All I could remember in that round was Fraser Gehrig kicking 10 and Fremantle getting just 3.7
The score for the match was:
Code:
August 14, 2004, Docklands Stadium

[COLOR=Navy]Melbourne       0-1 (1)   3-2 (20)   [U]6-4 (40)   7-4 (46)[/U][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red]Sydney          3-3 (21)  7-7 (49)[/COLOR][COLOR=Red]  [U]10-7 (67)  10-7 (67)[/U][/COLOR]
If you look at the underlined section, you will clearly see how the last quarter had only one scoring shot. The Swans scored no behinds in the second half but nevertheless won fairly easily. The two behinds scored in the second half is the equal-fifth-fewest ever and the fewest since 1980.

bump, i would be interested to see how long the Freo Saints game went for last week - two serious concussions meant at least 2 quarters went for 35 minutes each.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had a look and none of the quarters went for more than 37 minutes. Although I have no figures, I can imagine that the first half of the Anzac Day, 1991 game between North Melbourne and Sydney where 32-18 (210) was scored may have gone for longer than the listed 73 minutes 22 seconds of the second half of that Fremantle versus St. Kilda game where after all only 22 goals were kicked in four quarters.

Is there any way to check the last quarter of this game? I knew this St.Kilda supporter at the time who swore they held off ringing the siren in close games at Princes Park until Carlton hit the front.

Edit: Scrap that, I may be thinking of the 1990 or 1992 Carlton/St.Kilda game.

Its a pity that records of quarter lengths were not routinely kept from the beginning. There must be some extreme examples hidden in the mists of time.

There was a match at Corio Oval in Geelong in the early 1900's where due to a late start the last quarter was terminated early by consent because it had become to dark to see the ball.

It is also not clear how in the earliest times how time on/off was interpreted.

It is my impression that quarters these days are of a much longer duration than before the time on rule was changed. Thirty of more years ago quarters much beyond 30 minutes were rare.

I also doubt that the traditional 25 minute quarter had much more if any, playing time than the current 20 minute quarter. Could actually have been less.

Is there any way to check the last quarter of this game? I knew this St. Kilda supporter at the time who swore they held off ringing the siren in close games at Princes Park until Carlton hit the front.

Edit: Scrap that, I may be thinking of the 1990 or 1992 Carlton/St.Kilda game.
I’m sorry, but I am utterly sure there is nothing about the length of those quarters.

Re the Round 14, 1996, Richmond v West Coast game, by my Name A Game DVD (the first made from the original VHS), that goalless last quarter went for twenty-seven minutes, or more than from the 1987 Collingwood v North Melbourne game. It does show that the change to quarters in 1994 has really encourage time wasting - a practice that marrs the game a great deal but fits too well with attracting casual or semi-casual television audiences for something to be done about it.

Its a pity that records of quarter lengths were not routinely kept from the beginning. There must be some extreme examples hidden in the mists of time.

There was a match at Corio Oval in Geelong in the early 1900's where due to a late start the last quarter was terminated early by consent because it had become to dark to see the ball.

It is also not clear how in the earliest times how time on/off was interpreted.

It is my impression that quarters these days are of a much longer duration than before the time on rule was changed. Thirty of more years ago quarters much beyond 30 minutes were rare.

I also doubt that the traditional 25 minute quarter had much more if any, playing time than the current 20 minute quarter. Could actually have been less.
In 1901 between Fitzroy and Collingwood, neither team had scored for twenty minutes in the last quarter and the timekeeper rang the bell with five minutes still to run. Fitzroy, who were five points down after scores had been level and quarter time and half-time, protested at the error, but without success. This scoreless quarter must remain the shortest quarter in history. I wonder how long the first quarter of the Geelong versus Footscray match in the opening round of 1965 would have run for: on a flooded Kardinia Park only 0-1 (1) was scored - Geelong have never failed to get on the scoreboard in a first quarter since.

At the other extreme, the three highest-scoring quarters seem to have run for less than the 40 minutes of the 2001 Footscray-Hawthorn second quarter, but the two for which I have accurate data certainly ran for over 35 minutes but not for 40.

Campbell's Creek vs. Primrose (I think), 1990. The game where Campbell's Creek scored the incredible 100 goals 34. You'd think that the quarter's would've gone for up to 50 minutes.

That Fitzroy Collingwood match from 110 years ago: I read from one source that the ball was actually in the Fitzroy forward line when the siren was blared.

Campbell's Creek vs. Primrose (I think), 1990. The game where Campbell's Creek scored the incredible 100 goals 34. You'd think that the quarter's would've gone for up to 50 minutes.

That Fitzroy Collingwood match from 110 years ago: I read from one source that the ball was actually in the Fitzroy forward line when the siren was blared.

No sirens to blare in 1901 only a bell to be rung - first siren was used at Essendon in 1933 - sirens not in use at all matches until 1950.

Have just read in the VFL Record for Round 15, 1975 that the Essendon versus Carlton game from round 14, 1975 at Windy Hill had a second quarter which went for 38 minutes, 4 seconds. This was when Carlton piled on 14.1 and Essendon contributed 4.1.

Have just read in the VFL Record for Round 15, 1975 that the Essendon versus Carlton game from round 14, 1975 at Windy Hill had a second quarter which went for 38 minutes, 4 seconds. This was when Carlton piled on 14.1 and Essendon contributed 4.1.
Does that total include the time off for the all-in-brawls that occurred in between Carlton’s burst of goals? If it does, it would seem too short, but if it does not it would actually appear on the long side vis-à-vis that North Melbourne versus Richmond fourth quarter from 1989. That fourth quarter is the best-documented of the numerous big-scoring quarters of Krakouer- and Carey-era North Melbourne teams, but there is no reason why others like:
  1. the third quarter in Round 11, 1984 v Fitzroy
  2. the third quarter in Round 5, 1988 v Hawthorn
  3. the first quarter in Round 5, 1991 v Melbourne
  4. the second quarter in Round 6, 1991 v Sydney
  5. the second quarter in Round 22, 1991 v Fitzroy
  6. the third quarter in Round 13, 1992 v Geelong
should have been any shorter.
In a WANFL match at the WACA in May 1956 that was called the “Swim Through Perth”, Perth and East Perth continued playing the full last quarter in total darkness according to the Sunday Times.

East Perth would otherwise have kicked the lowest score in the WA(N)FL since 1912 when West Perth scored only 0-3 (3) against Subiaco, but the Royals obtained their first and only goal with two minutes left. The Royals’ score is still the lowest by an eventual premier team in any major Australian Rules league – including before 1919! It is tough to believe the weather – even if cooler than the 19.4˚C maximum in Perth that day, would even in Melbourne have been any worse than what Perth, with 62 millimetres of rain and very low cloud, experienced on 12 May of 1956. The nineteenth of June 1897 (Round 6), with 12.5˚C and 23.4 millimetres of rain, is as close a possibility as exists.

I have copied and pasted the text from the relevant Record. The quarter was timed by a fan in the crowd, and according to The Age, the main brawl started 25 minutes into the second quarter. You can see by the goal timeline that there were 8 minutes lapsing in between goals after the 24 minute mark.

When the record breaking goals were kicked
The following table compiled by an independent member of the public, Mr Doug Gaff from the ''outer" last Saturday tells its own story of when the goals were kicked.
Scores indicate that both sides kicked with extreme accuracy too. ESSENDON scored five goals straight in the first quarter, another four straight in the second and a further four straight in the third
quarter. Meanwhile THE BLUES booted nine straight in the second quarter, before David McKay booted a behind and followed this with another eight goals straight — to the 21 minute mark of the third quarter.
Here is Mr Gaff's story in figures of the great second quarter — also a very long one, as his "unofficial clock", showed the quarter lasted 38 minutes and 4 seconds. Fourteen seconds after the start of the second quarter Carlton posted their second goal of the match and first for this record-breaking quarter.

The others followed as such:
Car. third — 2 min. 09 secs.
Ess. sixth — 3 min. 23 secs.
Car. fourth — 4 min. 16 secs.
Car. fifth — 5 min. 50 secs.
Car. sixth — 7 min. 18 secs.
Car. seventh — 8 min. .03 secs.
Car. eighth — 9 min. 58 secs.
Car. ninth — 11 min. 15 secs.
Ess. seventh — 12 min. 25 secs.
Car. tenth —14 min. 05 secs.
Car. — point (10.5) —16 mins. 12 secs.
Ess. seventh gl. —18 min. 03 secs.
Ess. eighth gl. —19 min. 27 secs.
Car. 11th gl. — 21 min. 18 secs.
Car. 12th gl. — 22 min. 26 secs.
Car. 13th gl. — 24 min. 22 secs.
Car. 14th gl. — 32 min. 27 secs.
Car. 15th gl. — 34 min. 51 secs.
Ess. ninth gl. —36 min. 33 secs.
Quarter closed — 38 min. 04 sees

Last edited:
The second quarter of the round 14 match between Carlton and Essendon although not the highest aggregate score for a quarter, it is the equal highest from 20 scoring shots in a quarter.

110 points: Round 14 1975 Carlton 2nd quarter 14.1-85 vs Essendon 4.1-25
110 points: Round 5 1991 1st quarter Nth Melbourne 9.1-55 vs Essendon 9.1-55

Remove this Banner Ad

Back