NCAA New to College Football - Looking for a Team to Follow

Remove this Banner Ad

Click for super-sized full image

ncaawhotosupportflowcha.png

Now, alot of you probably don't like college football that much in comparison to the NFL.

But a fair chunk of newbies might get into the game via this in Australia.

NFL is on mostly on Monday, while most are at work or studying.
College Football is mostly on Sunday, and in America, the ESPN group of networks (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPNU, LHN, ABC) show a good chunk, like say 30-40% of the 60+ games per week.

And with Australia just getting ESPN2, we'll get more college football on TV, than before, and at more veiwer friendly times than the NFL.

Also, if One has maintained the CBS contract, we might get some SEC action too.

Anyway, I don't have a great chart like that on the new to NFL thread's OP, but I'm more than happy to hear what people look for when they're getting into college football, and I can advise on what I think is best.

EG - You want someone with tradition? USC, Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Miami (Fl), Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Alabama, Florida.
You want someone who will be on TV alot? Texas, BYU
You want an up and comer? Nevada, UConn
You want a newbie? Western Kentucky, UTSA, Texas State, South Alabama, UMass
You love both Basketball and Football? UConn
You want the weird teams? Oregon, Boise State

Just say what you want, and I'll help advise you on where to go.

Say you're a North Melbourne supporter, or Rugby League fan, or just a true blue Aussie? - I'll point you to the Akron Zips, because their mascot is a Kangaroo

jumpZip.jpg

Uh, the obvious college basketball and football school is UNC, not UConn
UConn = BigEast champs in both sports, and current basketball champs.

NC definently has a greater Football history, (and MJ in Basketball) but UConn is argueably taking them over in the present.

UConn = BigEast champs in both sports, and current basketball champs.

NC definently has a greater Football history, (and MJ in Basketball) but UConn is argueably taking them over in the present.

Its the Big East :p

Id agree if you were looking at it more from a basketball side that UConn would be the better college to follow, but from the football side, UNC would be better. Better conference - so you get to see other good teams like VT, GT, Miami, FSU etc, far higher chance of seeing your players drafted and a much more realistic chance of winning a NC (not that either team would actually win one)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I normally follow Notre Dame but I will be watching Alabama closley with Jesse Williams the aussie. How the hell does a guy that big even move around a field..........

IMO UNC have just as much tradition in bball if not more than UConn and of course the MJ factor. Therefore UNC > UConn if you like both football and bball

UNC have much more history in basketball then Uconn, 5 nation titles spread over 50 years while Uconn have 3 in just under 15 years so UNC have been a National power for a very long time. With Dean Smith and MJ, two of college basketball most iconic figures and of course they share the 2nd best rivalry in college ball with Duke (purdue / Indy number 1 :D)

IMO UNC have just as much tradition in bball if not more than UConn and of course the MJ factor. Therefore UNC > UConn if you like both football and bball
UConn being a bigger superpower than UNC is just 1 big-made up laugh. Lets remember UConn have only been relevant since Calhoun has been in charge and before than, barely anyone took notice of them. Womens ball is a different story however.

Maybe in the future UConn might be part of the elite but right now as it stands, the elite 6 are UCLA, Kansas, Kentucky, NC, Duke and Indiana.

Now, alot of you probably don't like college football that much in comparison to the NFL.

Not me. I love the NFL, but College Football was always and will always be my first love. The games are more exciting, there is intense weekly drama, there's greater variety in style of play, and the student atmosphere blows the atmosphere at NFL games out of the water.

Think about it. When we speak about rabid fanbases in the NFL(Steelers, Packers, Chiefs) we say they have a "college atmosphere."

Interested to hear what college team you'd recommend for me DB.
Alabama, Eastern Michigan or Temple.

Eastern Michigan - They're the Eagles, also from Michigan, who hosts your 2nd fav NFL team the Lions

Temple - Based out of Philly, also the scl your 2nd round draft pick Jaiquawn Jarrett comes from.

Alabama - You're a big mouthed person, who thinks they know it all, when they don't (which basically classifies the whole redneck south/bible belt of the SEC) they're also good, and you're a bandwagoner (you are a Dockers season ticket holder who is supporting the Eagles right now afterall....)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back