Mega Thread Draft Talk Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: What will we do with our 1st round draft pick?

what about pick 12 for Watts or Trengrove from melb??
Considering Watts was pick 1 and Trengrove was pick 2, how do you think that would work out, offering our pick 12?
DO you think we would take Melbourne's pick 16 for Dustin Martin?

I hate saying this, as i hate mitch robinson.... but... we need a few more players like him. Im not sure what is available in the draft, but take best mid with 1st pick, then whoever, but get someone who will do what robinson does. someone who will get ya the ball, and give it to people.
our boys get pushed around too much.

All Australian team

Defenders: Jed Anderson (NT), Michael Talia (Vic Metro), Brandon Ellis (Vic Metro), Brad Crouch (Vic Country), Brody Mihocek (Tas), Alex Forster (SA)

Midfield: Billy Longer (Vic Metro), Dom Tyson (Vic Metro), Stephen Coniglio (WA), Jaeger O’Meara (WA), Toby Greene (Vic Metro), Will Hoskin-Elliott (Vic Metro)

Forwards: Chad Wingard (SA), Sam Mayes (SA), Lachie Whitfield (Vic Country), Ben Kennedy (SA), Jonathon Patton (Vic Metro), John McKenzie (Tas)

Interchange: Mitchell Grigg (SA), Brodie Grundy (SA), Taylor Adams (Vic Country), Clay Smith (Vic Country)

These are the players I'd be happy to pick up out of the AA team

Jonathon Patton
Stephen Coniglio
Dom Tyson
Mitchell Grigg
Hoskin-Elliott
Clay Smith
Billy Longer
Brandon Ellis

So there's at least 7 players in the AA team i'd take, also I'd take Whitfield and O'Meara but they're not eligible this year.

There's some good players there, if any drop to 10 or 12 then we have to take them over trading the pick.

Considering Watts was pick 1 and Trengrove was pick 2, how do you think that would work out, offering our pick 12?
DO you think we would take Melbourne's pick 16 for Dustin Martin?

if they want to leave and elect us could we give melb that and player or something else?

Nahas or Tuck with pick 10 or 11?

Thought Whitfield was old enough for this draft?

Or was it he's too young for the mini draft? Can't remember.

He's too young for the mini draft.

So there's at least 7 players in the AA team i'd take, also I'd take Whitfield and O'Meara but they're not eligible this year.

I believe we can grab one of them them with a trade with GWS with their underage draft concessions? They can't play till 2013 though. Take the risk and give GWS this years 1st pick and players to get the deal done (who would they accept??), clear loads of other deadwood and trade more picks and try and grab another gun under 24(or even serviceable ruckman).

This means basically skipping the draft altogether this year. Have a tough year next year, but go into the superdraft next year with the addition of the priority we still have in the bank as well.

Cotch and Dusty and co will be heading into their prime with a bunch of talent and there will be 7-8 years to go for it!

Or we could be rebuild again in 2016;)

without a doubt our first two picks has to be used in the nd on the very best available. sheesh we all know we have holes in the list everywhere. our first tweo picks should be inside 30 and we have all heard after 30 it drops away. dont know if this is true as personally i see it going much deeper.

make no mistake we are in rebuild mode and imo are yet to bottom out.

we need to take 5 kids in the nd. we should turn over at least 3 rookies so thats another 3 kids. we should take if available a mature up to standard afl player in the psd. i would then be targeting 3 players from the minor leagues to replace long term proven duds with very late nd picks. of course if we trade this will change.

Really like the sound of Hoskin-Elliot and Kavanagh. Hope we get one of them, If not wouldn't mind Tahlia and then with our second pick we can take best aval. mid. With our 4th pick we can take Wheeler.

without a doubt our first two picks has to be used in the nd on the very best available. sheesh we all know we have holes in the list everywhere. our first tweo picks should be inside 30 and we have all heard after 30 it drops away. dont know if this is true as personally i see it going much deeper.

make no mistake we are in rebuild mode and imo are yet to bottom out.

we need to take 5 kids in the nd. we should turn over at least 3 rookies so thats another 3 kids. we should take if available a mature up to standard afl player in the psd. i would then be targeting 3 players from the minor leagues to replace long term proven duds with very late nd picks. of course if we trade this will change.

Yep we should have 10 and 30 (Adelaide will beat us and overtake us) i think. Thats 2 good players if we dont stuff up. Plus even in weak drafts there is always late gems if we look hard enough. If we pull 3/4 long termers we will have done well

I believe we can grab one of them them with a trade with GWS with their underage draft concessions? They can't play till 2013 though. Take the risk and give GWS this years 1st pick and players to get the deal done (who would they accept??), clear loads of other deadwood and trade more picks and try and grab another gun under 24(or even serviceable ruckman).

This means basically skipping the draft altogether this year. Have a tough year next year, but go into the superdraft next year with the addition of the priority we still have in the bank as well.

Cotch and Dusty and co will be heading into their prime with a bunch of talent and there will be 7-8 years to go for it!

Or we could be rebuild again in 2016

Yes we can trade for an O'Meara. I doubt they want another first rounder. It will cost Deledio with the possibility of a first rounder our way coming back. O'Meara can't play in 2012 for Richmond but can play for Coburg and train with us. O'Meara is touted as the best of next years crop so its a number 1 pick for a number 1 pick plus a first rounder. Could throw in a Foley or someone for another pick in mini-draft possibly the last one. We would then probably end up with Whitfield as well in the superdraft as we will be awful in 2012 but it would be awful with some serious future potential.

Will Hoskin-Elliot is who I want. Played footy at my club and the club president told his mum before he passed that Will would play for the Tigers. Hoping the prediction comes true.

Will Hoskin-Elliot is who I want. Played footy at my club and the club president told his mum before he passed that Will would play for the Tigers. Hoping the prediction comes true.
No more hyphenated names please. Still haunted by Oakley-Nicholls.:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No more hyphenated names please. Still haunted by Oakley-Nicholls.:D
Can assure you that this hyphen won't give you nightmares. Kid eats breathes and lives footy.

Forget about Oakley Nicholls, is Hoskin Elliot another Fiora??:cool:
Nowhere near Fiona. Will is a player who when its time to go goes. The only comparison is that he is a little on the skinny side, but watching him compete against the Bombers reserves earlier in the year I don't see it being a hinderance

Pick 10/12 + our compensation pick might be enough to snag an elite 17 year old that would normally go top 5... Is that worth it??

I would only trade our first pick for Dangerfield, obviously we would need to through another player Adelaide's way. It wont happen....

I know I will get attacked on here but the only players I would not offer for trade would be Cotchin and Martin. The rest including Jack Riewoldt would be up for trade for the right price.
Jack for 2 17 year olds??? I would take that.

Pretty keen to use our first pick on another mid. This draft is light on for talls of note so I would expect GWS to take the best ones before 12. I don't know much about Talia but have read he isn't the best kick and doesn't offer great rebound. If he was a Hurley type you'd jump but otherwise wouldn't be surprised if the club backs in Astbury, Grimes and Rance and holds onto McGuane and Post for backup.

While many bemoan our lack of a ruckman and our apparent lack of tall backs I think it's the lack of midfield depth which is most hurting us.

Our midfield keepers going into next year are:

Cotchin - inside attacking
Martin - inside attacking
Foley - inside attacking
Conca - outside

Supporting these guys are:

Jackson - too slow and lumbering
Edwards - kicking and decision making is truly suspect
Grigg - kicking, decision making under pressure, consistency, heart???

This is where we need to improve to give our forwards and our backs the best chance of competing.

Pick 10/12 + our compensation pick might be enough to snag an elite 17 year old that would normally go top 5... Is that worth it??

I would only trade our first pick for Dangerfield, obviously we would need to through another player Adelaide's way. It wont happen....

I know I will get attacked on here but the only players I would not offer for trade would be Cotchin and Martin. The rest including Jack Riewoldt would be up for trade for the right price.

I think pick 10/12 and compo for a 17yo won't work for 2 reasons. We are giving up 2 to get 1 which i dont think we can afford as we need depth. 2nd of all GWS would be keen on the compo pick but doubt they want another pick this year. They'd prefer a player.

can't see us wanting to give up first rounder for Dangerfield unless we got another one as well. Nor can i see Adelaide giving him up.

I think Jack has to be on the untouchables list because otherwise we need to find another gun forward which isn't the easiest thing to do. We have done very well to get him and giving him up would be silly.

some people suggesting giving up jack ............. your off your tree

I would happily give up our first pick for the following players,and they are all worthy of a 1st rounder.All these players are young with 10 years football ahead of them & unlike 'new' kids have shown they will be upto afl standard. Too Many people rate draft picks way too highly & nothing wrong with trading them to get the player required provided they fall into the age bracket that we are building on.

Jackson Trengove
Mitch Clarke
Daniel Talia
Patrick Dangerfield

Also wouldnt be against offering up Nathan Foley to GWS for O'Meara either. Nahas is another that may be tempting for GWS

If we get that elite 17 year old or a couple of 17 year olds for Jack, are we going to play them in the senior side from the get go or are we going to make them play at Coburg for a season or 2 and make them earn games on merit?

If we get that elite 17 year old or a couple of 17 year olds for Jack, are we going to play them in the senior side from the get go or are we going to make them play at Coburg for a season or 2 and make them earn games on merit?

They cant play for 12 months..... and if after that they are good enough then they play. If they continue to perform they play.

I would only trade Jack if the deal leant massively our way which I think we could be in a position to do with GWS. For them Jack represents exactly want we want and I reckon they would pay overs for him especially with the seventeen year olds that they cant touch anyway (wrong use of words).

Would you do it for 3 Seventeen year olds that are considered future top 10 picks?

I would only trade Jack if the deal leant massively our way which I think we could be in a position to do with GWS. For them Jack represents exactly want we want and I reckon they would pay overs for him especially with the seventeen year olds that they cant touch anyway (wrong use of words).

Would you do it for 3 Seventeen year olds that are considered future top 10 picks?
A young full forward would be appealing to GWS, but I don't think it would get us more than 1 pick in the mini draft... not sure if that's even possible.

But as others have said, Jack is irreplaceable, and still young. Would be crazy to let him go. In my opinion, a good midfielder is much easier to find than a gun key position player. I'd be happy enough to package Foley with another player, like Tuck (although they can take him as an uncontracted) and see if we can jag O'Meara.

Really like the sound of Hoskin-Elliot and Kavanagh. Hope we get one of them,
A few people have mentioned Hoskin-Elliot, but Knightmare has him going at #7 (although range 4 - 15). Perhaps we need to start some rumours, such as he has groin problems (ala Heppell), and that he got into a fight at a bar/nightclub (ala Darling). :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back