ABC's Australian Story

Remove this Banner Ad

blackcat

Irving's godfather and handle
Dec 29, 2003
Beverly Hills 90210 Antifa bracket
AFL Club
Richmond
The guy wont be put in general population when convicted, which unfortunatly leads less of these people to commit suicide when they come to terms with who they are.

The parents will read these charges, something that should not happen.

Sportsbet have already got a market out on which date Australian Story is going to revisit this story. Its is their cash cow.

odds on, 22/8. Evens is 29/8.

Seven's Sunday will come out with an episode in about 18 months, detailing Daniel Morcombe's peripatetic Tom Sawyer lifestyle after he got sick of seeing Eddie Groves in the Noosa hinterland. Frankly I dont blame him. Rani Sadler will saddle up for a Walkley for this. Money.

Re: Daniel Morcombe breakthrough.

Sportsbet have already got a market out on which date Australian Story is going to revisit this story. Its is their cash cow.

odds on, 22/8. Evens is 29/8.

Seven's Sunday will come out with an episode in about 18 months, detailing Daniel Morcombe's peripatetic Tom Sawyer lifestyle after he got sick of seeing Eddie Groves in the Noosa hinterland. Frankly I dont blame him. Rani Sadler will saddle up for a Walkley for this. Money.

Your efforts to come out of left field leave you covered in bullshit.

Your efforts to come out of left field leave you covered in bullshit.
well, forgive me for being a little cynical and cold of heart, but are you aware of how many missing people there are that are actually on the roster of the police, and how many not on the roster of the police. They inverted that paradigm of missing white woman syndrome in this instance. But how many others get to peek thru compared to this case and Madeleine McCann? Hundreds? Thousands?

Will be good if a criminal is placed in jail. Dont agree with any vigilante justice within the confines of the prison though.

Rayven:
The guy wont be put in general population when convicted, which unfortunatly leads less of these people to commit suicide when they come to terms with who they are.

dont think a sociopath feels a guilt, or registers the guilt. Dont think he, assuming it is the he, will have any skerrick of remorse, or a self-reflection to look in the mirror and self-analysis. He is the guy who likes to have a cone as breakfast apertif.

There is bullshit to be consumed in this case. The bullshit is not a glimpse into marginalised or missing children, but it is a story to sell emotion, so people get to feel something, which is pretty inauthentic, like Diana flowers. Not about Daniel Morcombe imo, on the whole, the story gets alot of traction, cos like a drug addict, that is the anology, the consumer public of media, are always needing to feel something, in this case, a heartrending story of a kid who was abducted and murdered. I can feel empathy with the best of them, and this does even push my emotion button, of my cynical self before the rational part weighs in.

Australian Story loves this s**t. They are the ABC crowd version of some of the more tabloid'y stories of heartrench on 60 minutes or even the news tabloids of ACA and TT.

well, forgive me for being a little cynical and cold of heart, but are you aware of how many missing people there are that are actually on the roster of the police, and how many not on the roster of the police. They inverted that paradigm of missing white woman syndrome in this instance. But how many others get to peek thru compared to this case and Madeleine McCann? Hundreds? Thousands?

Will be good if a criminal is placed in jail. Dont agree with any vigilante justice within the confines of the prison though.

Rayven:

dont think a sociopath feels a guilt, or registers the guilt. Dont think he, assuming it is the he, will have any skerrick of remorse, or a self-reflection to look in the mirror and self-analysis. He is the guy who likes to have a cone as breakfast apertif.

There is bullshit to be consumed in this case. The bullshit is not a glimpse into marginalised or missing children, but it is a story to sell emotion, so people get to feel something, which is pretty inauthentic, like Diana flowers. Not about Daniel Morcombe imo, on the whole, the story gets alot of traction, cos like a drug addict, that is the anology, the consumer public of media, are always needing to feel something, in this case, a heartrending story of a kid who was abducted and murdered. I can feel empathy with the best of them, and this does even push my emotion button, of my cynical self before the rational part weighs in.

Australian Story loves this s**t. They are the ABC crowd version of some of the more tabloid'y stories of heartrench on 60 minutes or even the news tabloids of ACA and TT.

FWIW, whilst I hoped to discuss the more specific details of the case etc, I can understand entirely where you are coming from with this one.

Australian Story is grief/sentimentality pr0n for those who consider themselves to be morally and intellectually above its commercial equivalents.

Bereaved of a loved one courtesy of a brain tumour/cancer/suicide/murder/bushfire?

Lost your farm in a drought?

Had a bushfire or a flood destroy your home?

Been sexually abused by a priest whilst under government care?

Got a child who is a paranoid schizophrenic?

Then Australian Story would love for you to call.

Frankly, there ought to be a law created to prevent Australian Story from doing any more puff pieces of Dr Charlie Teo.

Having said all that, if you remove Australian Story from the discussion, I would argue with the proposition that the level of publicity generated by Daniel Morcombe case was an inversion of 'missing white girl' syndrome.

I think the way Daniel dissapeared played a big part in it in terms of connecting with the public....a young child out catching a bus to buy Christmas presents just vanishes from the streets....its plainly emotive.

The sheer mystery of what happened aspect also likely played a role.

BC, humans are story tellers. When the story is compelling it gains traction. In the current connected environment sometimes one story will 'win' the vast majority of attention, where in the past it would remain a local story.

It's just how things work.

I don't really understand the cynicism regarding Australian Story. It's a show. It tells people's stories. If you think the wrong stories are being told why not start a web site and post videos of the stories you think deserve to be told?

I don't really understand the cynicism regarding Australian Story. It's a show. It tells people's stories. If you think the wrong stories are being told why not start a web site and post videos of the stories you think deserve to be told?

I switched on Australian Story 'Classics' today after the footy.

Shock horror, yet another tale of sexual abuse and its effect on Australia's WASP upper, upper middle class.

I wonder what the odds will be on me tuning in week and finding a story on some Country Road clad, inner city baby boomer couple losing there gifted flute playing, paranoid schizophrenic, child to a brain tumour.

I switched on Australian Story 'Classics' today after the footy.

Shock horror, yet another tale of sexual abuse and its effect on Australia's WASP upper, upper middle class.

I wonder what the odds will be on me tuning in week and finding a story on some Country Road clad, inner city baby boomer couple losing there gifted flute playing, paranoid schizophrenic, child to a brain tumour.
yes, the chambray chinos class need to find a new class euphemism since the wine export market died so the glut of grapes gave bogans and slappers alike a bottle of white for Flemington lawn, not merely a bag'o'goon, and chardonnay slippers are worn by Kath and Kim now, and the most common baby name in Frankston is Chardonnay.

re:next weeks epi, I will offer u tens on betfair, William Hill offering 12s.

Time for a split.

All I see in here is "People who are NOT ME are going on television and talking about their lives!"

Personally, I will stick to being outraged by the actual incident rather than get pissed off about something I have total control over.

Never understood the whole media distain angle, I just change the channel or put the paper down if what I am taking in is really annoying me.

I highly recommend this new age and left field approach.

If you dont like the show dont watch it, simple.
It seems that some posters on here loathe the show yet watch it, very odd.

If you dont like the show dont watch it, simple.
It seems that some posters on here loathe the show yet watch it, very odd.

I honestly stopped watching the show years ago. The story on the Phillip Walsham accused drove me away. The bias they displayed in that story was OTT. Have been very cynical about the show ever since they let that go to air.

The hagiography they did on Patrick Johnson was a bit poor too. Was like an episode of This Is Your Life.

Sometimes there is an overwhelming stench of self importance on BF from individuals, to the point they will knowingly put in print some of the most pointless, self aggrandising loads of old codswallop, simply to run with the crowd.

I reckon Australian Story is one of the last bastions of real journalism on television and certainly the only "real" reality television broadcast that I'm aware of.

God forbid that anyone actually gets to tell their own story, in their own words, devoid of input from celebrity w***ers, media commentators and vacuous armchair experts on everything.

Sometimes there is an overwhelming stench of self importance on BF from individuals, to the point they will knowingly put in print some of the most pointless, self aggrandising loads of old codswallop, simply to run with the crowd.

I reckon Australian Story is one of the last bastions of real journalism on television and certainly the only "real" reality television broadcast that I'm aware of.

God forbid that anyone actually gets to tell their own story, in their own words, devoid of input from celebrity w***ers, media commentators and vacuous armchair experts on everything.

Look, I agree 100% that next to 60 Minutes/Sunday Night/A Current Affair etc, using any criteria you wish to use to compare it, Australian Story is head and shoulders the superior product.

My concern is simply whether the air of elitism that tends to permeate its choice of stories negates its ability to say it is a broad representative of all stratas of Australian 'story'.

Where ACA and 60 Minutes etc stories tend to have there editorial roots in what you could broadly describe as the concerns of lower middle class Australia, Australian Story tends to have its editorial roots in the concerns of the inner city elites...the artists, the doctors, the intellectual and societal elite etc etc.

As much as I prefer Australian Story, I would personally also love to see it find a way to encompass more of the middle of Australian society.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BC, humans are story tellers. When the story is compelling it gains traction. In the current connected environment sometimes one story will 'win' the vast majority of attention, where in the past it would remain a local story.

It's just how things work.

Chief is on the money here.

This time.

Look, I agree 100% that next to 60 Minutes/Sunday Night/A Current Affair etc, using any criteria you wish to use to compare it, Australian Story is head and shoulders the superior product.

My concern is simply whether the air of elitism that tends to permeate its choice of stories negates its ability to say it is a broad representative of all stratas of Australian 'story'.

Where ACA and 60 Minutes etc stories tend to have there editorial roots in what you could broadly describe as the concerns of lower middle class Australia, Australian Story tends to have its editorial roots in the concerns of the inner city elites...the artists, the doctors, the intellectual and societal elite etc etc.

As much as I prefer Australian Story, I would personally also love to see it find a way to encompass more of the middle of Australian society.

Well, I'm not claiming I've seen every episode, but all that I have watched have been at the very least interesting and in many cases enthralling viewing. Surely there have been some programs I had no interest in and consequently switched off. They would be in a small minority though.

I don't see that such a show has to be "fully" representative of any social mix or ideal. It has to be interesting.
Maybe some peoples stories are boring?

Who do you think they have missed out on?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back