Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Weight Training: Building Muscle

Yeah, leg work is essential fellas. The longer you go without doing them the further they will lag behind...

Plenty of strength comes from leg work also, building your core and increasing your lifts all round.

Dont do leg work at the moment due to having surgery on osteitis pubis. Do quite a bit of core and and abdominal work. At the moment i keep my legs strong through cycling and skipping. Skipping works the calves hard and cycling burns the quads.

To be honest, I have totally neglected leg work thus far. Basically just in it to look good. Bit of a surprise to the girlfriend who has gone over to America to study for 6 months.

So purely in terms of shaping the upper body, leg work doesnt seem overly essential to me?

Please excuse my obvious ignorance!

IMO if you are looking at working out solidly for the next 6 months, i'd definitely do legs.

When i first started i admit, i ignored the legs as well, but when i saw the progression i was making with the upper body, you'd be silly not to throw in a leg day.

Edit: I'm no expert, compared to other posters in here, but i'm pretty sure leg work can benefit your core as well as your lower back muscles.

To be honest, I have totally neglected leg work thus far. Basically just in it to look good. Bit of a surprise to the girlfriend who has gone over to America to study for 6 months.

So purely in terms of shaping the upper body, leg work doesnt seem overly essential to me?

Please excuse my obvious ignorance!

there is a theory that doing leg work will help increase the size of you upper body but im not sure how correct it is. Basically the more muscle mass you stimulate the more growth hormone and testosterone you produce which is essential for muscle growth. theory is if you stim the large muscles in your legs as well as al the smaller ones in shoulders and arms you can grow faster.

plus if u neglect legs you will look like a dick with your proportions all out. chicken legs never look good and girls DO notice legs.

Re: Weight Training: Anything and Everything

Does anyone have any specific journal articles researching the truth in this? I'm not saying you're wrong, its just that some articles say that it exists up to 48 hours after, whilst others say its not true and there is barely any extra lingering metabolic rate over cardio. I'll have a look later but i just thought someone like Kirky might have a good source :thumbsu:
Exercise phys I know tells me they work off the assumption of something very close to 24 hrs.

IMO if you are looking at working out solidly for the next 6 months, i'd definitely do legs.

When i first started i admit, i ignored the legs as well, but when i saw the progression i was making with the upper body, you'd be silly not to throw in a leg day.

Edit: I'm no expert, compared to other posters in here, but i'm pretty sure leg work can benefit your core as well as your lower back muscles.
Squats & deads!
Does core & back as well
Squats, deads, o/h press, bench are the 4 I do every session.

What sort of stuff are you doing now, Shup?

there is a theory that doing leg work will help increase the size of you upper body but im not sure how correct it is. Basically the more muscle mass you stimulate the more growth hormone and testosterone you produce which is essential for muscle growth. theory is if you stim the large muscles in your legs as well as al the smaller ones in shoulders and arms you can grow faster.
The HGH myth has been debunked fair well over the past few years.

You do need to build your legs - the more muscle mass you have on you, the more calories you can burn at rest or during recovery, and chicken legs on a solid guy just looks ridiculous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont do leg work at the moment due to having surgery on osteitis pubis. Do quite a bit of core and and abdominal work. At the moment i keep my legs strong through cycling and skipping. Skipping works the calves hard and cycling burns the quads.

How long post opp are you? & what did you have done? cycling is great, but it's very anterior chain dominant, like cptkirk said glute act/strength is important with groin probs. Heavy deads & supine bridges are the way to go imo!

Hey lads just wondering if you carry a bit of belly fat and you do sit ups or any form of core work will it be of any benefit to do them? I know you don't burn fat by doing core work ect? Doing a lot of work on arms and chest at the moment too.

Hey lads just wondering if you carry a bit of belly fat and you do sit ups or any form of core work will it be of any benefit to do them? I know you don't burn fat by doing core work ect? Doing a lot of work on arms and chest at the moment too.

No with a little bit of yes.

Can't spot reduce fat. You don't reduce fat around your abs.

You will increase the muscle there slightly, will be more beneficial at a lower body fat percentage and you will be better at doing core body work. Also beneficial if you actually need core strength.

Diet and lowering your body fat (cardio and any other form of exercise really) will reduce your body fat.

How long post opp are you? & what did you have done? cycling is great, but it's very anterior chain dominant, like cptkirk said glute act/strength is important with groin probs. Heavy deads & supine bridges are the way to go imo!

8 weeks post op. I had a full scrape on my pelvis and also had my adductors cut and loosened. He said it would be okay to start cycling after 6 weeks, so i have just started in the past week, nothing too intense.

I have also started doing bridges over the past week and leg raises hanging from the chin up bar without swinging. I may start doing some deadlifts although this kills my hammies and back. I was aiming to start doing some light leg work in 4 weeks time.

No with a little bit of yes.

Can't spot reduce fat. You don't reduce fat around your abs.

You will increase the muscle there slightly, will be more beneficial at a lower body fat percentage and you will be better at doing core body work. Also beneficial if you actually need core strength.

Diet and lowering your body fat (cardio and any other form of exercise really) will reduce your body fat.

HR up, BF down

Another question, thanks for your replys too.

What is your set routine for when you train. example: Arms, chest, core then legs?

What is your set routine for when you train. example: Arms, chest, core then legs?

I usually add a bit of back and shoulders to keep my body in proportion.

You need to do a lot of reading buddy. We can't walk you through everything.

I spend probably 6 hours a week training/lifting. Now, of course the time spent lifting is almost nothing compared to the time in the gym, but add in any additional cardio, stretching, sauna/massage etc and you spend a fair bit of time in the gym.

Naturally some people will lift only 2-3 days a week, but the point is you're going to spend a lot of time working out, and so you should.

Seriously (seriously!): So if you only spend 1 week worth of time reading about what you should be doing and how you can improve your performance, you'll be much better for it. Better than going to the gym for a year and not knowing what you're doing.

Asking questions here is a good step and I'm not saying don't do it, but there are already numerous helpful posts that deal with starting programs for lifting and diet.

Add in additional research (which you should be doing regardless of what we say, as you still need more than one source - and even then to be testing them) from other sources and you've got a bit to do.

To answer your question, you'll find most programs will be along the lines of:

Day a) Push
Day b) Pull
Day c) Legs

Day a) Chest/Tris
Day b) Back/Bis
Day c) Legs/Shoulders
^Above may be split into c) Legs d) Shoulders

Day a) Chest
Day b) Arms
Day c) Back
Day d) Legs/Shoulders
^Above may be split into d) Legs e) Shoulders

*Note though: Some people like to put Shoulders into something else, like Back or Arms. The point is, you can have it stand alone or you can have it in with other days. Generally not Chest as you work your shoulders a fair bit during Chest day and I like it at the end of the cycle personally. Likewise, some people think Legs is intensive enough (and will do a fair bit of work). I don't put deads on leg day like some people, and find I can do both on the one day. It's definitely possible people will say have legs stand alone, but keep in mind a lot of people neglect legs completely also so it's about finding a balance.

Personally:

I do:

Day 1: Chest
Day 2: Back
Day 3: Legs/Core
Day 4: Arms
Day 5: Shoulders
Day 6: Core/Rest

I've started to see gains after switching back to this, but perhaps you'd be better off starting with a 2/3 day split focusing on almost entirely compound lifts.

Dips/Pullups/Bench/OHP/Squat/Deadlift/Rows etc.

I spend probably 6 hours a week training/lifting. Now, of course the time spent lifting is almost nothing compared to the time in the gym, but add in any additional cardio, stretching, sauna/massage etc and you spend a fair bit of time in the gym.

Naturally some people will lift only 2-3 days a week, but the point is you're going to spend a lot of time working out, and so you should.

Seriously (seriously!): So if you only spend 1 week worth of time reading about what you should be doing and how you can improve your performance, you'll be much better for it. Better than going to the gym for a year and not knowing what you're doing.

Asking questions here is a good step and I'm not saying don't do it, but there are already numerous helpful posts that deal with starting programs for lifting and diet.

Add in additional research (which you should be doing regardless of what we say, as you still need more than one source - and even then to be testing them) from other sources and you've got a bit to do.

To answer your question, you'll find most programs will be along the lines of:

Day a) Push
Day b) Pull
Day c) Legs

Day a) Chest/Tris
Day b) Back/Bis
Day c) Legs/Shoulders
^Above may be split into c) Legs d) Shoulders

Day a) Chest
Day b) Arms
Day c) Back
Day d) Legs/Shoulders
^Above may be split into d) Legs e) Shoulders

*Note though: Some people like to put Shoulders into something else, like Back or Arms. The point is, you can have it stand alone or you can have it in with other days. Generally not Chest as you work your shoulders a fair bit during Chest day and I like it at the end of the cycle personally. Likewise, some people think Legs is intensive enough (and will do a fair bit of work). I don't put deads on leg day like some people, and find I can do both on the one day. It's definitely possible people will say have legs stand alone, but keep in mind a lot of people neglect legs completely also so it's about finding a balance.

Personally:

I do:

Day 1: Chest
Day 2: Back
Day 3: Legs/Core
Day 4: Arms
Day 5: Shoulders
Day 6: Core/Rest

I've started to see gains after switching back to this, but perhaps you'd be better off starting with a 2/3 day split focusing on almost entirely compound lifts.

Dips/Pullups/Bench/OHP/Squat/Deadlift/Rows etc.

well done mate that is a lot of work and hard work too you put in.

my routine is roughly 45 - 60 min mon wed fri

shoulders, arms, chest and a little core work but not much as i carry a bit of weight roughly 100 kilo area so little point and i do cardio between those days including saturday. Should I be upping it as I want to gain muscle before January. Any suggestions I should to?

I usually add a bit of back and shoulders to keep my body in proportion.

You need to do a lot of reading buddy. We can't walk you through everything.

Yeh I know, give me some links for sites to look at cant seem to find helpful ones.

Yeah I was doing similarly for a while recently, just doing a "bitsa" workout 3-4 times a week; I found doing less volume, but more frequently, my body was recovering a lot quicker than my preferred (but not as practical with work hours) 4-5 times a week, split program with heaps of volume.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back