GFL 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

If you think that any of the Spotty recruits travelled down the highway for the love of the game, you are kidding yourself. They were highly paid in the WRFL, and add travel to the equation. When a team spends around the 110-130k mark on players, I would suggest that is a lot of coin for a team nowhere near it!

Never said they havent spent any money, just saying no more than any other team. But it seems you have access to their books and know the exact figure so clearly you are a committee member? Or just making up a random figure maybe...

How great it is to see St J lose. All that talk about Russell R taking them to the finals were nothing. It is quite apparent that Bell Park and SBarwon are the only two sides capable of winning the grand finals. the others are there just to make up the competition. St Josephs are the chokers of the GFL like Ammos in the BFL

Ammos are genuine chokers, but not sure how st joeys are anywhere near that category. If there are, as u say, only two teams capable of winning then surely a preliminary for joeys is as far as they could have gone??

And Robertson did take them to the finals, so not sure what that first comment meant either..

Never said they havent spent any money, just saying no more than any other team. But it seems you have access to their books and know the exact figure so clearly you are a committee member? Or just making up a random figure maybe...[/

My point exactly. They are spending the same amount, as you claim, as all the other teams, yet are no where near the top 5 clubs. Does the question need to be asked?
Just for the record, hbk, I'm led to believe that a budget of $150k will be given to the incoming coach. The proof will be in the pudding in 12 months time.

Ammos are genuine chokers, but not sure how st joeys are anywhere near that category. If there are, as u say, only two teams capable of winning then surely a preliminary for joeys is as far as they could have gone??

And Robertson did take them to the finals, so not sure what that first comment meant either..
By finals surely I meant "grand final". Isnt that the goal, not the prelim or quals?What changes can we expect next year in local footy.Can we expect the same sort of thing as the past few years?

How much did they spend to win it ya reckon?

Geez that was a brilliant come back by the dragons, 27 points down at 3/4 time and I don't think anyone could've for seen what was to come in the last. As a neutral who doesn't particularly like either side, my heart was racing in the last few minutes and I even jumped up cheering for the swans when they got back within a goal late!! Couldn't believe bucklands miss in the last few minutes. That's a goal he'd kick normally 10 times out of 10 but I guess that's what the pressure of the big occasion does sometimes.

Thought Fitzgerald let himself down in his after match speech with his dig at south about being humble in defeat. In my opinion, the south boys all stayed on the ground and watched the medal presentation and once that was done they were well within their rights to leave the field. Fitzy should've just thanked everyone and then just enjoyed the celebrations.

What a great win, I though the dragons were gone at 3/4 time. On the speach by Fitzgerald was not good, does set up a great rivalry next year though. I asked a few people what it was about nd they said that it was not anything to do with South Barwon walking off. Apparently word got back to bell Park last year that South barwon they thought Bell Park was soft and a pushover.

Was in Canberra at the AIS today, but had texts coming through all game, and they were all depressing - last one said 5 goals down and no hope. Next thing I get a call from the rooms and we got up. Sorry to miss what must have been a great last quarter, and both sides should get off the posturing as both play great football. Well done Dragons, especially after last year - a great win for the whole club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of people talk about Ammos and Joeys as being chokers. Now Sth Barwon are not serial chokers, far from it. But that loss yesterday has to be one of the biggest chokes i have seen. They had that game done and dusted at 3/4 time. How they lost that i dont know. Full credit to Bell Park but that was one big choke.

Looking to next year, which club/clubs can you see bridging the gap. Newtown and Colac winning the reserves and under 18 comp should improve. What do you all think.

Grovedale are interesting, They could not be in a better location, the amount of people moving out that side of town is incredible. What is their junior program like?. South Barwon have something like 20 junior sides. I know with Bell Park it has taken 5 years and even then you have to hope that the best kids don't end up at the falcons and the the best players don't end up at the VFL or SANFL.

If Luke Buckland kicked that goal with a few minutes left and the game was a draw what would have happened? With the cats playing saturday and there family day sunday would it have been moved to a different ground? Where would that have been? or would there have been extra time? I am not a big fan of the gfl finals at kardinia park. I would like to no football geelongs plans if it was a draw. I no it didnt happen just had a few questions. Cheers

If Luke Buckland kicked that goal with a few minutes left and the game was a draw what would have happened? With the cats playing saturday and there family day sunday would it have been moved to a different ground? Where would that have been? or would there have been extra time? I am not a big fan of the gfl finals at kardinia park. I would like to no football geelongs plans if it was a draw. I no it didnt happen just had a few questions. Cheers

Interesting question, I'd think it may have been moved to the following wknd after the afl grand final because football geelong seem hell bent on having all gfl finals played at skilled. I'm with you, I hate going to skilled for finals, yeah it's a great surface, comfortable for spectators etc but you lose so much atmosphere having it there.

I'd love to see west oval have a major redevelopment and move the finals back there. Or have them at drysdale. Yes I know that's not a gfl ground but neither is skilled and drysdale is the best ground in the geelong area by a mile in my opinion.

100% extra time no replays in bfl and gfl not sure of gdfl

Big news coming out of Grovedale is that former Geelong League champion and strongman Simon Potter is seriously considering offers from the Tigers for 2012. With quality recruits such as this you may just get your wish Tim as the Tigers move up the ladder next season.

Ahahahaha! Love it. Geelong strongman and champion! Watch him to take his sign on fee, get towelled up week after week and then head back to melbourne mid season! Go get him grovey, would be a massive recruiting coupe.. Haha

Big news coming out of Grovedale is that former Geelong League champion and strongman Simon Potter is seriously considering offers from the Tigers for 2012. With quality recruits such as this you may just get your wish Tim as the Tigers move up the ladder next season.

Not that this is true, but if that pea heart ever played for Grovey I'd personally burn down the joint!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back