Where to live in Perth.

Remove this Banner Ad

kaysee

Rising From The Ashes
10k Posts Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Jul 30, 2001
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
I might potentially be moving to Perth and am trying to gauge a descent place to live.

A bit of background:
- Me and Misses (35-45yo).
- 2 dogs (so prefer secured yard).
- Middle Class range.
- Currently live in Adelaide NE suburbs (ie Modbury & Golden Grove area).

Perth Suburb and House requirements
- Middle class suburb
- apparently the average hosue price in Perth is around $490k... so somewhere with houses within a $450k-$600k range.
- with 10/15km of the CBD
- public transport access
- limited "dodgyness", but we can handle a little.
- prefer a newer area/home (ie < 10 years old).
- suburb with decent broadband access (see Vic Park is getting NBN, but cable or good ADLS2 or LTE access would do).

What areas do Perthians think would suit? Also anyone know both Perth and Adelaide suburbs really well?

Cheers.

PS - yes, I read a few other "Living in Perth" threads, but I want my own :)

Dianella, Yokine, Bedford, Inglewood

All good areas and tick all of your boxes. For a decent pad you'll need to spend around 500k minimum in those areas.

Dianella, Yokine, Bedford, Inglewood

All good areas and tick all of your boxes. For a decent pad you'll need to spend around 500k minimum in those areas.

Bedford is an absolute wasteland that should be levelled (along with Morley), and whilst the other three each have some nice areas, they are predominantly 70s and 80s vintage faded redbrick suburbia.

Its an absolute pisstake that you should need a half a million dollars to buy into that.

Not one of those suburbs is connected to the rail network either.

Bedford is an absolute wasteland that should be levelled (along with Morley), and whilst the other three each have some nice areas, they are predominantly 70s and 80s vintage faded redbrick suburbia.

Its an absolute pisstake that you should need a half a million dollars to buy into that.

$500,000 gets you into the lower end of those suburbs but they are still very decent areas. And he didn't say I need to live on top of the *ing train line either. Plenty of buses to get you around.

Thanks for the input so far, will check them out soon.

FTR I don't mind public transport connections but obviously prefer single vehicle commute.

Cheers

Wawick, Greenwood, Hamersley, - big houses, big blocks, lots of parks, freeway, train, 5 mins to beach, short excursion to the east if you want to sample some dodginess

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How big/noisy are the dogs? People wont touch your place if they are barking all night.

1 big (as in when he stands up on 2 legs his head is up over 5' tall)... Ridgeback X Staffy. Only uses his deep menancing bark when threatened/alert.

1 smaller Staffy X "pain-in-the-arse"... a bit yappier, not so alert, a bit thick headed but will charge in without fear.

Looked at a few so far Como looks good but a bit above our price range... but Greenwood is looking good thus far.

Personally I'd rent for 12 months to get a feel for the place and work out where you want to buy. Plus the market seems to be pulling back a bit still.

For me Perth has three jewels.........the coast, the river and Freo. I'd try and get close to one or more of these. The CBD is a sterile wasteland.

If you want to live in a new area you'll need to go a fair way North/South or East and it becomes bland suburbia. Probably depends what your interests are as well.

I might potentially be moving to Perth and am trying to gauge a descent place to live.

A bit of background:
- Me and Misses (35-45yo).
- 2 dogs (so prefer secured yard).
- Middle Class range.
- Currently live in Adelaide NE suburbs (ie Modbury & Golden Grove area).

Perth Suburb and House requirements
- Middle class suburb
- apparently the average hosue price in Perth is around $490k... so somewhere with houses within a $450k-$600k range.
- with 10/15km of the CBD
- public transport access
- limited "dodgyness", but we can handle a little.
- prefer a newer area/home (ie < 10 years old).
- suburb with decent broadband access (see Vic Park is getting NBN, but cable or good ADLS2 or LTE access would do).

What areas do Perthians think would suit? Also anyone know both Perth and Adelaide suburbs really well?

Cheers.

PS - yes, I read a few other "Living in Perth" threads, but I want my own :)

Winthrop would be my pick. Newish homes (90s mostly), middle class, close to public transport, but just a tad over 15km from the CBD.

Greenwood, Kingsley, Warwick, Woodvale etc, All nice, middle class areas - as mentioned before, lots of parks, easy public transport access, not too from CBD close to coast - but not whitfords cashed up bogan area.

I think almost every suburb in Perth has been mentioned here haha.

I live in the Freo area. Most suburbs are fairly decent around here besides Hamilton Hill, Hilton and Willagee. Not that far directly from Perth but you have to get around the river which takes a little time.

Care to explain why? Decent suburb and way cheaper than Inglewood (for now).

Not Nollamara :D
I didn't mind Nollamara when I lived over there - it was a step up from lockridge and coondoola !
In all seriousness, mt lawley , inglewood weren't that far from the city as well as Claremont, leederville, subi all pretty good suburbs in my opinion. I lived in bayswater which was handy for the races at ascot and good bus and rail into town.
South Perth and Como had the best views of the city and good area for catching prawns and crabs in the swan river if you like that sort of thing.

Probably easier to list the suburbs you should steer clear of - Balga, Koondoola, Girrawheen, Midland, Nollamara, Canning Vale, Westminister, Orelia, Armadale, Palmyra and Kwinana off the top of my head.

Canning Vale is quite a nice area. It is a big suburb, though, so while the Livingston side of Canning Vale might be nice, I'm not so sure what it's like closer to the Southern River end.

Far from a suburb you should stay away from, I think Canning Vale is an ideal place for a young family.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back