NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2011 - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Speedyunit

All Australian
Feb 9, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Speedy i agree with you a little. I think they need to keep as much as there list together as possible. If not u you will be back to the drawing board. Of the blokes that came 2 - 3 years ago how many afre left?? If you look at the better sides over the past years alot of them have experieced players (morningside, Southport and the vultures) all of which have had a solid group of players who have played together... this is where the culture point comes in. if you keep turning players over every 2 or 3years nothing will be created. All u will acheive is a backpackers residence!

Big E I forgot to mention the boys that came up this year? are they hanging around? Buchanans will they go if there older sibling goes back south?

I think we down here on the coast are about to have a unbeaten season in 2012!!

yeah good points, who has the sharks picked up? will payne stay?

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Player movements always interesting. You would know more than me DR and please let me know if I am talking rubbish, but clearly Sharks wouldn't be too pleased with missing finals given their history. Look at their B & F and the age of their players (estimating), throw in Divine (30 odd) and Carmody (officially retired)

1 Payne (may leave rumour has it)
2 James 31-32
3. Wise 29-30
4. O’Brien 33 ish
5. Baxter 25
6. Niklaus 30-31
7.Ben Merrett 25
8.Brett Davis ????
9. Mallan ???
10. Mills 25

A few the wrong side of 30. They will need to go recruit big time. So who have they got? Ben Hudson maybe? Harvey? anyone else?

Morningside also have a few aging stars. Chikka who of these players will retire do you think? Gough, Abey, Clark, Tomlinson, Lillico, Rodgers any others? Can Morningside be the Geelong and rejuvenate? Or will they be the Saints that have "been to the well too many times". A couple of their younger players could get picked up as well. They will have to find more cash for a new coach and its no secret that they are not the richest club going around. Can't see them rejuvenating with recruits. Strange to say after 3 GF and 2 premierships but it could be a challenging time for the Siders in the next year or 2, but they seem to be able to bring through good youngsters better than anyone and their 18's were unbeatable.

Also Redland will be interesting. With the quality of the recruits that they have got the last couple of years in my opinion they have been the biggest underperformers in the comp. No doubt they will be looking to load up now they got the coach sorted.

Labrador had a shocker of a year after almost winning the premiership 2010. With Shattock retired, Notting's knee wobbly, Knobel getting on and with a young family, Jones, Wrigley and Fields a chance of getting picked up they look a bit off the pace if they don't pick up a few. Their 2's didn't win a game so obviously not much there also.

Cats have lost Walton back to the WAFL and Zorko could get picked up. Fulton to retire. A young improving list who by reports are staying. Will need a couple of recruits but look on the up. Aspley the same, look to have good young guys coming through, but they would want to lose too many. I always thought Page was a good player. Big loss.

Apr 14, 2008
Oxenford
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Steve Russ any chance (if he actually wants the position?) given his role this year?

Big call on Russ or any others - you have got to admire Blair - he coached the club as opposed to coaching the team. Been a great effort - along with Vultures they would be lowest paying jobs with the most effort required. Not for everybody this gig.

chikka ferguson

All Australian
Feb 27, 2010
airlie beach
AFL Club
Carlton
X Carlton player Ryan Houlihan off to Sharks.Big chance a x West Coast Eagle star will land at Southport.Ben Hudson deciding on Labrador and Southport,looking to land a role with Suns.

love footy

Rookie
May 16, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
just like to say that john blaire is close to the best coach that has coached in qafl/neafl it is a shame this level cant keep him.is it true broadbeach are losing some of there u18s to southport

Speedyunit

All Australian
Feb 9, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Pheiffer back to Sharks by looks of it
let me guess they all will be groundsman at the club, obviously the sharks have thought bugger it if NT have an extra salary cap so can we? this all is heading the same way as the 90s when all the clubs started going outside their means and the league almost fell over....

pointer

Debutant
Feb 11, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Geelong
Lets hope this does not occur, the level playing field provides for more exciting close footy while allowing clubs to compete without make commitments they cannot keep. This invariable leads to a clubs downfall & will hurt the league

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
let me guess they all will be groundsman at the club, obviously the sharks have thought bugger it if NT have an extra salary cap so can we? this all is heading the same way as the 90s when all the clubs started going outside their means and the league almost fell over....

Speedyunit I get your point but I suggest that NT and Southport are well within their means!!!!!

There is talk of a points system rather than an impossible to police salary cap to be introduced in 2013. Not sure whether the nuts and bolts have been worked out but my thought is that each club may get say maximum 100 points and players depending on pedigree and where they are from would be given a point allocation.

For example:

Ex AFL 10 pts
Ex WAFL/SANFL/VFL 7 pts
Ex Interstate Country/Suburban Rep Player 5 pts
Interstate Player 3 pts
QLD/NSW regional player 2 pts
player from local club (eg Aspley gets a kid from Caboolture) 1 pt
own junior 0 pts

Something like this anyway. Would encourage/force clubs to develop their own and to engage with PHC and other feeder clubs. Would be easier to enforce unlike a salary cap. I see a lot of positives in a system like this and I believe a couple of the Country Vic leagues have something similar.

They would just need to be careful not to make it too tough and essentially stop the increase in standard of the comp. Maybe after each 2 years service a point gets deducted ie Notting would be 9 pts now he has been with Lab for 2 years.......

Could this work?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Points system I reckon is a good idea - was thrown around at PHC level a few years ago now but rejected bc some ppl believed it would be too hard to police. I could never work out how it was more difficult to police than a salary cap? Seemed very much an open and honest method.

Once the points are decided upon for various players (like LAB suggested) then its fairly hard to get around. Relaxation for hypotheticals like Hornet suggested.
Agree with LAB that you don't want to make it too strict that it rids the comp of high quality players but it certainly is a starting point IMO.

Lionsfor3

Rookie
Apr 18, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
A points system would be an excellent idea IMO. Too often do we see players come for the cash and then leave a year or two later. The competition doesn't have that prestige feel of playing for a club IMO, it seems that in the past few years we've seen players from across Australia come for one thing only; the money. If AFLQ wants to develop the younger players coming through to have a better chance at getting drafted this system would enhance that. It would force clubs to spend extra time to develop their kids rather than buying them.

I think if an ex-AFL player returns to their club that they played juniors with should be counted as 0.

This is exciting to think that it may be the first step in getting our U18's some better results bettering QLD's reputation. I hope this isn't a rumour...

Snorkle

Senior List
Sep 18, 2009
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
lee spur former redland junior and morningside seniors gun. nearly won the sanfl gf off his own back. he might get drafted

Lee Spurr should have been drafted as an 18 year old IMO, he has been an absolute gun for Centrals since going there 3-4 years ago, named in the best player nearly every week - to think of some of the players who did get drafted from Qld that year and then blew it - some judges of talent and attitude must shudder when they get their pay, apart from Luke Crane, Spurr must be one of the best Qld footballers in the modern era to make his mark in the SANFL.

If some of the AFL sides have not got him on their radar then I dont know what they are looking for in a player, he played down back today and then was switched by Laird into the midfield in the last qrt and in his typical attacking style he dominated to get the Dogs back into the game (including taking the mark of the day if not the year) only to miss a Bulldogs win by 3 points, unfortunatley he could only manage a point under huge pressure out of a pack with the last kick of the game.

Aug 27, 2007
brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
Lee Spurr should have been drafted as an 18 year old IMO, he has been an absolute gun for Centrals since going there 3-4 years ago, named in the best player nearly every week - to think of some of the players who did get drafted from Qld that year and then blew it - some judges of talent and attitude must shudder when they get their pay, apart from Luke Crane, Spurr must be one of the best Qld footballers in the modern era to make his mark in the SANFL.

If some of the AFL sides have not got him on their radar then I dont know what they are looking for in a player, he played down back today and then was switched by Laird into the midfield in the last qrt and in his typical attacking style he dominated to get the Dogs back into the game (including taking the mark of the day if not the year) only to miss a Bulldogs win by 3 points, unfortunatley he could only manage a point under huge pressure out of a pack with the last kick of the game.

the year he had morningside wass cut short because od a fractures jaw. thanks to a head clash with a team mate in a game where he turned it on it's head by himself against the vultures at ditmar park. he had a great start to the year. the vultures might remeber him taking a hanger in the goal square and kicking 4th for the qtr and 5th for the game late in the first meeting they had that year

Dr Nogood

Debutant
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
murray davis has been picked up by the lions as a developement coach. good on him and good luck to him

Good to see the accolades keep coming for the NT, looks like they have a good structure in place. Any news on early replacements? Maybe the older illet brother? Could we see some like a McLeod or Ling coach them?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back