Review 2011/2012 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Talk of Symes being de-listed is stupid. He is a solid performing depth player who goes in hard, has some degree of footy smarts and is experienced. His only weakness is his loopy kick and there is no way he will be booted because of that.
You're forgetting that he is horrendously injury prone. He's only managed 20 games a season once in 8 years of football.

We have to delist three of Sellar, Cook, Symes, Young and Craig.

For starters, our KPP stocks took a huge hit over the last year - Bock, Davis, Stevens, Gunston and Maric are gone. We covered ourselves through trade week but with unknown quantities so we need to keep our options open, in which case via process of elimination, Cook and Symes are the first to go IMO.

Craig has upside and we haven't had a chance to see it yet, so I'd give him another year. Then raffle the last spot between Sellar and Young - good reasons to keep and delist both of them.

The other key factor is salary cap - Symes would be the highest paid player in that group by a long way and yet he's no guarantee of playing 22 games in 2012, even Craigy dropped him a couple of times this year.

If we look at who could seriously play in our next premiership team, I think Symes has to go. If he couldnt get a regular game last year, he has no future. The blokes we have recruited are all around the same age and all seem to have very nice skills.

Cook, Sellar and Symes to go.... If Young is delisted must be given a rookie spot. Craig to get another year

How is salary cap a valid argument? In 2012 very few players deserve a pay rise, if any. By kicking a few extra dollars around in 2012 in getting rid of Symes we are screwing ourselves for 2013; Crouch and every other recruit we've received this trade period will want more than $5 to spend at the corner shop.

Giving players money for free this year will mean we have nothing to give in 2013, which I think most posters agree is when we will start winning a few more games.

I agree get rid of him at the end of 2012, but doing so now... I disagree.

How is salary cap a valid argument? In 2012 very few players deserve a pay rise, if any. By kicking a few extra dollars around in 2012 in getting rid of Symes we are screwing ourselves for 2013; Crouch and every other recruit we've received this trade period will want more than $5 to spend at the corner shop.

Giving players money for free this year will mean we have nothing to give in 2013, which I think most posters agree is when we will start winning a few more games.

I agree get rid of him at the end of 2012, but doing so now... I disagree.

We can front load a couple of contracts to free up some coin for 2013 - salary cap is absolutely a valid argument.

Who is out of contract?

Lynch, Jenkins and Brown for a start, then potentially one or more of Craig, Young and Sellar. Either way the contracts are a minor detail, we can offer extensions to already contracted players and re-negotiate their loading.

Lynch, Jenkins and Brown for a start, then potentially one or more of Craig, Young and Sellar. Either way the contracts are a minor detail, we can offer extensions to already contracted players and re-negotiate their loading.

Should be paid in donuts, for the amount of AFL games they will play from this point on. I thought that was why two of them are probably being de-listed.

I don't love Symes, but seeing the hate for him when compared to the handicapped parking brigade just seems silly to me. Maybe we should frontend the Sellar contract and give him more money instead of delisting him? What?

I like where this thread is heading.

LeBrone would be the perfect sub though, sub him off at 3/4 time and he can do some dance on the sideline and bump chests in the last.
What is the difference between Saturn and LeBron?
Saturn has rings.

How Many points did Lebron James score against the Jazz?
James scored so much, Utah made him an honorary Mormon!

Why did Lebron head down South?
Because his mother went West! :D

Why does Lebron's agent want him to play in the National Hockey League (NHL)?
Because they only have three periods.

I agree that the salary cap argument isn't really valid in delisting Brad Symes

Because if he does sign a new contract for 2012, it will be at a reduced rate to last season and almost at a minimum rate as he will only be a depth player to fill in for injures. I think he will survive for one more years and if he shows anything, will get traded in 2013 as steak knifes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cook, Sellar, Young and James Craig have been delisted.

List changes summary
In
Tom Lynch (St Kilda)
Lewis Johnston (Sydney Swans)
Joshua Jenkins (Essendon)
Luke Brown (Norwood)
Matthew Wright (rookie upgrade)
Aidan Riley (rookie upgrade)
Brad Crouch (17 yo priority pick, not of 2012 list)
Out
Ivan Maric (Richmond)
Phil Davis (GWS, uncontracted player)
Jack Gunston (Hawthorn)
Tony Armstrong (Sydney Swans)
Scott Stevens (retired)
Brad Moran (retired)
Will Young
James Sellar
Myke Cook
James Craig

I reckon we've done well to keep 3 picks in the top 50 of a compromised draft. Especially with all the other player movements going on.

And what would we pay Symes in, cheesecake?

I know it's fashionable to dig the boots into Symes, but look at the make-up of our squad. We are full to the brim with youth. It doesn't hurt to have a hard body in there looking after them.

At the very least, he's a solid depth player.

As much as I had high hopes for Craig and Young, they're no certainty to be playing SANFL next year let alone AFL. Their bodies have let them down.

If you gave me the list of Sellar, Cook, Young, Craig and Symes and told me to keep one, it would be Symes every day of the weeks. He's not great - but he's capable of playing a role with some semblance of reliability.

I know it's fashionable to dig the boots into Symes, but look at the make-up of our squad. We are full to the brim with youth. It doesn't hurt to have a hard body in there looking after them.

At the very least, he's a solid depth player.

As much as I had high hopes for Craig and Young, they're no certainty to be playing SANFL next year let alone AFL. Their bodies have let them down.

If you gave me the list of Sellar, Cook, Young, Craig and Symes and told me to keep one, it would be Symes every day of the weeks. He's not great - but he's capable of playing a role with some semblance of reliability.

But is Symes to be picked agead of Brown, Martin, Riley, Callinan, Tambling, Smith and Shaw - all of whom are currently not best 22 players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back