NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2012

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
After an interesting first season which saw the NT Thunder get crowned premiers of the Northern Conference as well as the NEAFL premiers, what can we expect from the Northern Conference in 2012?

There have been a few losses to clubs, probably the biggest being Dayne Zorko from Broadbeach being traded to the Brisbane Lions. You would think after this season both the Gold Coast Suns Reserves as well as the Brisbane Lions reserves will be much better given their players should be a bit more experienced. NT Thunder will probably lose a few players in the draft due to NT being a GWS zone now so perhaps NT will struggle in 2012.

I think Andrew Mcleod has officially retired now as well so that won't help the Thunder either. Although I did hear a rumor that Daniel Motlop will be playing for the Thunder in 2012 so that is a huge acquisition on their behalf. What does everyone else think about the 2012 season?

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
If Zorko makes the Lions list but doesn't play in the first 22 does he play for the Lions 2's or back at Broadbeach? Would be good for the latter if he went back there having a bloke with an AFL preseason under his belt!

chikka ferguson

All Australian
Feb 27, 2010
airlie beach
AFL Club
Carlton
If Zorko makes the Lions list but doesn't play in the first 22 does he play for the Lions 2's or back at Broadbeach? Would be good for the latter if he went back there having a bloke with an AFL preseason under his belt!

Being a contract player would have to play for Lions.

Is their a set rate for clubs in transfer fees or is it up to the club that is losing a player to nominate a price?

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Being a contract player would have to play for Lions.

Is their a set rate for clubs in transfer fees or is it up to the club that is losing a player to nominate a price?

Money is sometimes involved in AFL trades but not in this case. A player can not simply get traded from a local club like Broadbeach to an AFL club like the Lions. Zorko was actually zonal picked by the Gold Coast Suns who can zonal pick until 2015, once zoned he was traded to the Lions for a draft pick. My impression was that money was not involved in this trade between the Lions and Suns.

As for the local clubs I do not believe they receive anything for losing their players. In local footy anyone can change clubs at any point and once a player has nominated for the AFL draft there is really nothing the local club can do.

riodj

Debutant
Mar 6, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
All Neafl clubs receive $9000 per player drafted from the AFL.
If he was from the SANFL or WAFL - that club receives $36000. They own their own competitions so they have negotiated a much more favourable reward which is a good incentive to develop your own players.

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
All Neafl clubs receive $9000 per player drafted from the AFL.
If he was from the SANFL or WAFL - that club receives $36000. They own their own competitions so they have negotiated a much more favourable reward which is a good incentive to develop your own players.

Interesting point this one. Broadbeach have had Wilkinson, N Ablett and Zorko in the last couple of years. Morningside have had Yagmoor, Hickey and Allen? (did the Suns take him?) in the past couple of years. It is no secret that neither of these clubs are rolling in the dough and an extra $27000 per player ($81000 for 3) would make a big difference. Probab;y something that ought to be looked at if they are serious in making the NEAFL equal to the other bigger state leagues.

Dogmatic6

Senior List
Feb 3, 2010
Paradise
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Colchester United
Interesting point this one. Broadbeach have had Wilkinson, N Ablett and Zorko in the last couple of years. Morningside have had Yagmoor, Hickey and Allen? (did the Suns take him?) in the past couple of years. It is no secret that neither of these clubs are rolling in the dough and an extra $27000 per player ($81000 for 3) would make a big difference. Probab;y something that ought to be looked at if they are serious in making the NEAFL equal to the other bigger state leagues.
The fee is paid in two instalments. While it's better than a poke in the eye, it doesn't make much of a difference over a couple of years. A bit more money would help the less financial clubs recruit a replacement if they didn't have a couple of ready made ones.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Agree 2010 - $36K is a really good incentive - maybe when the draft becomes completely "normal" again without incentive picks for local blokes etc?

Travolta

Rookie
Feb 11, 2010
QLD
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
In the case where the draftee moves to a Div1 club from a lower div....does the money go to the Div2 or Assoc club that developed the kid from age 6 through to 16/17 or the Div 1 club that has him for a year before he gets drafted??

Lionsfor3

Rookie
Apr 18, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
In the case where the draftee moves to a Div1 club from a lower div....does the money go to the Div2 or Assoc club that developed the kid from age 6 through to 16/17 or the Div 1 club that has him for a year before he gets drafted??

I'm guessing you're referring to Jackson Allen? In his case, from what I understand Western Magpies will get the majority of the money and Morningside will receive a smaller cut.

Travolta

Rookie
Feb 11, 2010
QLD
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm guessing you're referring to Jackson Allen? In his case, from what I understand Western Magpies will get the majority of the money and Morningside will receive a smaller cut.

wasn't referring to Jackson specifically but he is a great example! Do you know if there is an agreed formula enforced across the board by AFL or AFLQ or is this a "gentlemans agreement" made between Morningside and Magpies??

Lionsfor3

Rookie
Apr 18, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm not 100% sure but I know when you nominate for the draft the draftee puts down their junior club. If there was a dispute I couldn't really see two clubs having a 'gentlemans agreement' though seeing how much clubs need to cling on to what cash they can get. I would say the AFL or AFLQ would mediate that.

thunderdoc

Team Captain
May 27, 2010
dimboola
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
AUSTIN Wonaeamirri delisted by Melbourne, a close personal friend of Ross Tungatulam. I wonder where he will be playing next year ?

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
That was my understanding too Lions - Caloundra has picked up quite a few bucks over the past 15 years despite not one of the players drafted being taken directly from the club from my knowledge - and rightly so too IMO.
Maroochydore picked up a few bucks for Josh Drummond as well.

riodj

Debutant
Mar 6, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Money is paid over the players' previous 3 years. If he was drafted from Southport but had been there for only a year then they would receive $3000 and his previous club would receive $6000. That is my understanding.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Money is paid over the players' previous 3 years. If he was drafted from Southport but had been there for only a year then they would receive $3000 and his previous club would receive $6000. That is my understanding.

So in the case of Nick Riewoldt the Southport Sharks would receive $3000 and the Broadbeach Cats $6000? Does it make a difference that Nick was taken number 1 in the draft?

Lifes a Beach

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2009
Gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
So in the case of Nick Riewoldt the Southport Sharks would receive $3000 and the Broadbeach Cats $6000? Does it make a difference that Nick was taken number 1 in the draft?

The Southport Sharks seniors would get $3000 and The Broadbeach Juniors would get $6000 is how I understand it, makes a big difference.I am not aware that no1 draft pick makes any difference.

Back