Henry Slattery Effect

Remove this Banner Ad

So for 8 days we only tried one complex way to trade for Caddy which involved a non-starting 22 player?

I couldn't care less about Slattery staying or leaving this year - he is steak knives and barring a miracle will be gone next year - I'm just trying to understand how he is so pivotal to getting a gun kid and how bad we must be at trading, let alone list management (which I must say we have rocked at for the last 10 years).

Ffs, he was not a pivotal part of the deal, but he was a part of the deal. We were dealing with Brisbane for an early pick, and they were interested in Slattery. Therefore it made sense to try and combine the two into one deal.

How about this as an analogy. When we wanted to trade for Prismall, let's say Geelong wanted to trade for pick 5 and were going to give up a premiership player for it. Geelong would come to us saying "we want pick 5", we'd respond with "we want Prismall" and eventually the deal would get done as Kelly + Prismall for 5 or something. That wouldn't mean that Prismall was a key part of the deal, or that Geelong offered up a fringe player for pick 5.

Let's say tt is right in his scenario. The main part of the deal is Gumby for pick. It just makes sense to involve Slattery as well seeing as they wanted him also.

Essendon part with first pick, slatts & gumby
Brisbane part with first pick
Gold coast part with caddy

Essendon gain caddy
Brisbane pick up gumby & slatts
Gold coast get two first rounders

That was my understanding.

If true, then we were never serious about getting it done. An injury prone big man who will be delisted next year if he continues status quo and a limited footballer who will also be delisted if he continues with status quo.

Wow we sure know how to get a deal done.

I'm struggling to understand why it's so hard to understand BtG.

Slattery was offered up, and included as a part of the Caddy deal. No, he wasn't an essential part of the deal, but he was part of what Brisbane were after to give us what we needed to get Caddy.

With this deal being negotiated, would it have been worth scuttling the Caddy deal early in order to offload Slatts?

Fast forward to the end of trade week- the Caddy deal went right to the death of trade week- once the deal *was* actually scuttled, we were then able to field Slattery on his own merits, however, there was simply no time.

Perhaps while we were negotiating with Brisbane, we should have side tracked the conversations a little to work out a plan B for Slatts in case it didn't work out?

The world is mad up of three types of people.
Slattery Deniers.
Slattery Alarmists.
And Henry Slattery.

You want something for Slattery? Can't have it both ways, he's either s**t and worthless or he's a decent player with value and Essendon will have the opportunity to make a trade. It's different to the McPhee situation if that's what you're getting at.

That's not what I'm getting at. I'm suggesting that if you could get a packet of chips for him this year, take them. Slattery can't get a game in an ordinary team that needs a small defender. It's not rocket science.

It goes back to the first point made. If 4-5 clubs were after Slattery then surely another club put in an offer...

I'm struggling to understand why it's so hard to understand BtG.

Slattery was offered up, and included as a part of the Caddy deal. No, he wasn't an essential part of the deal, but he was part of what Brisbane were after to give us what we needed to get Caddy.

With this deal being negotiated, would it have been worth scuttling the Caddy deal early in order to offload Slatts?

Fast forward to the end of trade week- the Caddy deal went right to the death of trade week- once the deal *was* actually scuttled, we were then able to field Slattery on his own merits, however, there was simply no time.

Perhaps while we were negotiating with Brisbane, we should have side tracked the conversations a little to work out a plan B for Slatts in case it didn't work out?

It goes back to the first point made. If 4-5 clubs were after Slattery then surely another club put in an offer...

Perhaps this offer wasn't good enough? A pick we weren't going to use or a small upgrade. No point giving him up for that when we still rate him.

Perhaps this offer wasn't good enough? A pick we weren't going to use or a small upgrade. No point giving him up for that when we still rate him.

We do? I don't think those that matter at the club rate him very highly at all tbh. I guess we will find out next season. If he is still rated we can expect him to play a lot of senior footy.

We do? I don't think those that matter at the club rate him very highly at all tbh. I guess we will find out next season. If he is still rated we can expect him to play a lot of senior footy.

Some do, some don't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He couldn't get a game in a side that was crying out for a small lock down defender so yeah, those that matter don't seem to rate him.

Or I suppose 1 individual has all the power and overruled the entire selection committee on a regular basis?

Looking forward to some more spin.

"Bowling Shane"

shane-warne.jpg

----

In all seriousness, these Hank debates will forever be hot discussion on the boards. One thing people need to remember is nothing is won or lost. I've said my piece a year or so ago on him, my position hasn't changed substantially since; and have left it at that.

People should say their piece, be happy with that, reply back maybe once or twice and be done with it. I've got a headache just reading over the crap.
"No one forced you to read this thread"

He couldn't get a game in a side that was crying out for a small lock down defender so yeah, those that matter don't seem to rate him.

Or I suppose 1 individual has all the power and overruled the entire selection committee on a regular basis?

Looking forward to some more spin.

No spin, opinions are divided at the club. Will be interesting to see whether his backers or his doubters win out in 2012.

The general consensus was that he was deemed not good enough despite the club lacking a lockdown player down back.

These are the absolute facts and it looks to me that you are grasping at straws due to your man love for Hank.

I'm not even against Slattery. I don't mind him and have often defended him but I can see something when it smacks me right in the face.

The general consensus was that he was deemed not good enough despite the club lacking a lockdown player down back.

These are the absolute facts and it looks to me that you are grasping at straws due to your man love for Hank.

I'm not even against Slattery. I don't mind him and have often defended him but I can see something when it smacks me right in the face.

Given he missed a few with injury, he played about half of the games he was available for - that would suggest that opinion is split, right?

No it would suggest that he was given every opportunity to prove himself to the new coaches in the first half of the year, his performances were not up to scratch, and as a result deemed not good enough to get a game.

To me it just shows that the new coaching staff have had a good look at him and do not rate.

Every year is a new year and players have been known to re-invent themselves.

Biggest issue for Slattery is he was dropped both times after playing poor games - This was against Fremantle and Carlton.

This doesn't bode well for the future.

Given he missed a few with injury, he played about half of the games he was available for - that would suggest that opinion is split, right?

I stand to be corrected but reckon the majority of his games would have been in or around the first half of the year. It became clear to me that pig was rated higher than slattery once he got a few games under his belt.

I think he is well down the pecking order for 2012 but time will tell. Might be a chance to squeeze out mcveigh at times.

Outside this I find it hard to see how he will get a game outside injury and catasTrophic form

I stand to be corrected but reckon the majority of his games would have been in or around the first half of the year. It became clear to me that pig was rated higher than slattery once he got a few games under his belt.

I think he is well down the pecking order for 2012 but time will tell. Might be a chance to squeeze out mcveigh at times.

Outside this I find it hard to see how he will get a game outside injury and catasTrophic form

I think that's right, and there's no doubt he's not in our best 25.

Hard to make predictions about fringe players before the pre-season. For all we know, Hank or Reimers or Anthony Long or anyone else could have an amazing pre-season and force their way into the team, but as it stands, he's depth and nothing more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back