Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 22, 2010
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Roys SFA
Buddy's athleticism and endurance for a 6'6" guy are astounding, all key defenders in the league probably just collectively soiled themselves reading that...

Thanks for the update Shhhhh, much appreciated, and fantastic news about Roughie as well, here's hoping he's back for round 1 and the naysayers can suck it :p

Hawka19

All Australian
Sep 28, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
The players are still on holiday, so there are not many players to be seen at Waverley at the moment. With one notable exception - Roughie, who is looking great.

His forward partner, Lance, was also training by himself today doing of all things, 100 meter sprints for over an hour.

On that note and that alone, I am loading up on my boys for the 2012 silverware.

Down At Gillon

Team Captain
Aug 24, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
North Old Boys
Word reaches out Gillon way that Paul Johnson will continue to train with the club, in the hope of being re-listed (is that a word ?). The club delisted him on account of his foot injury, but will give him every opportunity to gain either a full list, or rookie spot again.

He is no superstar, but the club is actually quite keen on him, so long as he can prove his fitness. He has a personalised program with the physio starting sometime this month. As a backup he could be useful for those games against GC or GWS or if we get a rotten run with injuries.

Great 2008

Cancelled
Nov 27, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He really is a stellar athlete in every sense (on and off the field). I've got a strong feeling he's going to surprise everyone and take another giant leap forward next season, eclipsing both his 2008 and 2011 seasons. :D

You are not the only one who thinks this. I think Buddy has the potential to raise his game another notch (especially if he gets some more support around him to take some heat off). I think his best is still to come which is super exciting. I fully expect (and would put money on him) cracking the ton again some time soon.

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
That's really impressive and makes me so proud that he's playing for us.
For all the crap he gets/got in the past about allegedly being some sort of an arrogant, drug taking party animal this really speaks volumes about his true character. He's doing this on his own time for the good of himself as a player and the interests of the team going into 2012. I know plenty of other players in the league will be preparing themselves in their holiday time but Buddy is one of those players whose natural talent and profile would make it so easy to just rest on his laurels.
Not to mention the fact he would've quite obviously taken far less money to stay at the Hawks than he would've been able to get at GCS or GWS.

He really is a stellar athlete in every sense (on and off the field). I've got a strong feeling he's going to surprise everyone and take another giant leap forward next season, eclipsing both his 2008 and 2011 seasons. :D

He's also lazy and inconsistent, don't forget.

Word reaches out Gillon way that Paul Johnson will continue to train with the club, in the hope of being re-listed (is that a word ?). The club delisted him on account of his foot injury, but will give him every opportunity to gain either a full list, or rookie spot again.

He is no superstar, but the club is actually quite keen on him, so long as he can prove his fitness. He has a personalised program with the physio starting sometime this month. As a backup he could be useful for those games against GC or GWS or if we get a rotten run with injuries.

Have heard the same thing, and I think his leadership amongst those at Box Hill has no doubt given him quite a good report sheet with Clarko. Even when injured, he was out at every huddle speaking to the other ruckman and players and being proactive in getting everyone up for the next quarter.

Big A

Club Legend
Mar 10, 2010
St Kilda
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I multied him for Charlie, Coleman and Hawks flag this year to win $15k, and I'll certainly be doing the same in 2012

I hope you are being sarcastic, otherwise you are just being lazy and inconsistent with that comment.

Don't you worry, he is. He was just listing a couple more ignorant labels people slap on the big bud.

Shhhhh

Debutant
Mar 4, 2010
In the shadows
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm happy to report that David Hale's life threatening ankle injury is not so life threatening anymore. Judging by the way he pedalled the bike in the gym this morning his ankle is exactly as reported - rolled. Nothing serious.

Shhhhh

Debutant
Mar 4, 2010
In the shadows
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Barring any more injuries - touch wood everyone - our list is in extremely healthy shape going into round one. Of our 47 players, all bar Alex Woodward, would be available for selection. Keep crossing fingers and touching wood, we could enter the season in the best shape for years.

lethal03

Club Legend
Feb 27, 2007
The Far Side
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Socceroos
Barring any more injuries - touch wood everyone - our list is in extremely healthy shape going into round one. Of our 47 players, all bar Alex Woodward, would be available for selection. Keep crossing fingers and touching wood, we could enter the season in the best shape for years.

Any info on Smooth and Gilly playing nab?

Big A

Club Legend
Mar 10, 2010
St Kilda
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Certainly not a silly bet. What was the odds for that multi?

Did it again before our first round Nab as a regualr preseason fun bet.

$48 on for a $78,540 payout at odds of 1636 if we were to win the Nab and Premiership with Buddy winning the Coleman and Brownlow.

Bit pie in the sky but I love it. Don't love that we lost to Richmond tho putting a spanner in the works :( Carna Saints and Pies this week! :)

Just daring the injury gods to look our way....seem to remember similar things being said a couple of years ago and Taylor and Sewell both got busted bones at Ballarat during the final NAB challenge game.

Let's not go counting any chickens with 2 NAB games to go.

Exactly, let's jinx the team by talking up how injury-free we are...

Too much self-congratulation before the season has even started.

Exactly, let's jinx the team by talking up how injury-free we are...

Too much self-congratulation before the season has even started.

I'm no expert on the supernatural, but if my optimism is capable of 'jinxing' our team, then shouldn't I also be able to voodoo other teams?

You get the Cloke doll, I'll grab some knitting needles & meet you behind the goals at Waverley!

Ultimately it comes down to nearly everyone has been able to put in the work of the pre-season.

The side effect of that is that if someone has a couple of weeks on the sidelines due to injury, down to even the slightest niggle, they have a solid fitness base to come back into the side really quickly.

In a contact sport, you are going to have injuries no matter how you approach it, and soft tissue injuries will still happen, but if you have a full pre-season under your belt - life is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back