GWS Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Given that we will own the first round of the national draft thought it was about time we had a thread going. As most people know we have draft picks 1,2,3,4,5,7,9,10,11,13,14 as well as picks 56 & 85.
http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=124868

According to Kevin Sheehan this is the top 30 players in the draft in alphabetical order:

Taylor Adams (Geelong Falcons)
Joshua Bootsma (South Fremantle)
Matthew Buntine (Dandenong Stingrays)
Stephen Coniglio (Swan Districts)
Hayden Crozier (Eastern Ranges)
Sam Docherty (Gippsland Power)
Brandon Ellis (Calder Cannons)
Todd Elton (Dandenong Stingrays)
Alex Forster (Norwood)
Toby Greene (Oakleigh Chargers)
Joel Hamling (Claremont)
Nick Haynes (Dandenong Stingrays)
Brad Hill (West Perth)
Will Hoskin-Elliott (Western Jets)
Elliott Kavanagh (Western Jets)
Shane Kersten (South Fremantle)
Billy Longer (Northern Knights)
Daniel Markworth (Calder Cannons)
Tom Mitchell (Claremont)
Jonathon Patton (Eastern Ranges)
Sebastian Ross (North Ballarat Rebels)
Tom Sheridan (Calder Cannons)
Clay Smith (Gippsland Power)
Devon Smith (Geelong Falcons)
Liam Sumner (Sandringham Dragons)
Michael Talia (Calder Cannons)
Adam Tomlinson (Oakleigh Chargers)
Dom Tyson (Oakleigh Chargers)
Chad Wingard (Sturt)
Elliott Yeo (East Fremantle)
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/126012/default.aspx

Emma Quayles 15 players to watch at the stage;
Patton
Coniglio
Tyson
Buntine
Longer
Wingard
Hoskin-Elliott
Greene
Sumner
Kavanagh
Devon Smith
Tomlinson
Kersten
Haynes
Docherty

Also worth looking at is a couple of the better phantom drafts you will find on bigfooty, firstly here is the first 15 selections in Chris25's Phantom draft which is a good read:

Round 1

#1 GWS - Stephen Coniglio (182cm midfielder - Swan Districts)

Still the #1 for me, although it seems like they might go for Patton on the day. Is pretty much the complete midfielder, and is every bit as good as Swallow from last year. Big ball winner, can do it himself or link up with others. Tackles well, is quick and can hit the scoreboard too. Nothing not to like about him. AFL Comparison: Chris Judd.

#2 GWS - Jonathon Patton (197cm forward - Eastern Ranges)

Easily the best KPP in the draft, although will probably be #2 at GWS behind Cameron. Giant of an 18 year old, would physically be ready to step in and play from Round 1 next season. And that is exactly what GWS need. Bit of a throwback to the times of the power forward, I don't think he will take as long to progress as some other tall forwards have recently. AFL Comparison: Jonathon Brown.

#3 GWS - Chad Wingard (181cm midfielder - Sturt)

Great midfielder from SA, particularly strong in the clearances. Just has the knack for getting the ball out and into space. Good ball winner and has decent speed, as well as good disposal. Best midfielder to come out of SA in some time. Personally, I'd take him top 3 without a doubt although there is a chance GWS will allow him to go to Port Adelaide to ensure they get exactly who they want with the rest of their first round picks. AFL Comparison: Scott Thompson.

#4 GWS - Will Hoskin-Elliot (182cm midfielder - Western Jets)

With their first three picks, the Giants should look for someone capable of breaking the lines. I would call Port's bluff and let them make the choice on Longer, because I don't think Port will pull the trigger. Hoskin-Elliot is my pick of the next group, outside the top three. He could potentially be the most damaging player in the draft, and is also the best outside player on offer. Which isn't meant in a negative way, he can play inside but he is best when able to run and link up. With skills and clean hands, he is just quality. AFL Comparison: Scott Pendlebury.

#5 GWS - Matthew Buntine (188cm defender - Dandenong)

Just because Gold Coast are no longer picking in the top 5 doesn't mean Buntine will drop. He is the exact type of player that the Giants need - there is a reason why the Suns were reportedly keen on him. Was forced to play more as a key defender in the Championships, when he wasn't injured that is, and that isn't his best position. He reads the ball really well, and his rebounding work is as good as anyone else in the draft. As a third tall / loose man, Buntine could have a real impact before eventually becoming involved in midfield rotations. AFL Comparison: Brendon Goddard.

#6 Port Adelaide - Dom Tyson (186cm midfielder - Oakleigh)

Longer is available, but Port will likely trade for a mature ruck and Lobbe has shown some nice signs. And anyway, they need that quality inside midfielder. Some players had quiet Championships, Tyson was the opposite. In a draft of small midfielders, Tyson's combination of size and skill will be highly sought after. He might not win the Grand Final sprint, but he can play pretty much whatever position you wanted and as a midfielder can make his forward to good effect. It seems GWS are very keen, but I wouldn't be taking him in the top 5. There are better, more dangerous players on offer and the Giants already have plenty of his type. AFL Comparison: Jobe Watson.

#7 GWS - Billy Longer (202cm ruckman - Northern Knights)

Their gamble pays off, as they get the ruck they want and need. Not a great draft for ruckmen, but Longer is more than deserving of a top five pick even. He does everything that is fashionable for ruckmen these days, particularly in regards to his second efforts. But more importantly he is a genuine tap ruckman. Giles will likely play as the #1 for now, so Longer could easily rotate through the forward line with Patton and Cameron. AFL Comparison: Matthew Kreuzer.

#8 Brisbane - Todd Elton (197cm forward - Dandenong)

Probably not the pick Brisbane were hoping to make, but they do have some young midfielders stepping up so that does make this one easier. Elton's Championships weren't the greatest, but since not being picked up by GWS as a 17 year old he has worked on his strength and has also played both in the ruck and down back. Despite his quiet Championships, the ability and potential is still there. He moves well for someone his size, and takes a strong mark. AFL Comparison: Drew Petrie.

#9 GWS - Liam Sumner (182cm midfielder - Sandringham)

Another pick for GWS, and they might as well just stick with the next highest rated player. Still not really sure where I sit with Sumner. Shows excellent promise as an outside midfielder / flanker, his skills are very good and he links up well. I think he needs to be fed the ball to a certain degree and doesn't exactly do the hard things all the time. That will change with time, and he will become a more well rounded player. AFL Comparison: Bryce Gibbs.

#10 GWS - Taylor Adams (181cm midfielder - Geelong)

Adams has always been around the mark, I tend to drop him for more flashy players but it’s about time I had him up where he deserves to be – and his leadership alone makes him a good pick up in the top 10. Another inside midfielder, Adams was named in the U18 All Australian side this year. He is what you'd expect an inside midfielder to be, and while he might not be the fastest player going around he makes up for that with his contested work and strength. Can also go forward and have an impact there. AFL Comparison: Jimmy Bartel.

#11 GWS - Hayden Crozier (184cm forward - Eastern Ranges)

The excitement machine in this year's draft, and I think everyone knows what he can do. At the moment, he may not do it enough but that doesn't really concern me. But that shouldn’t stop GWS, as with all their picks they can afford to take a risk or two. He has all the potential, and his hands and feet are already at the required level. We've seen that the skinny kids can still come in and play a role early on. If GWS don't take him here, it wouldn't surprise me if he slipped out of the top 30. AFL Comparison: Kieran Harper.

#12 Brisbane - Alex Forster (189cm midfielder - Norwood)

Should definitely be a late riser in draft rankings, due in a large part to his form in the SANFL playing league football. I've been keeping a close eye on him over the past couple of months, and he impresses me more with every game he plays. Forster is another one of those running half back/midfielder types, provides good run and all that. Even at league level, his teammates feed him the ball because he just doesn't make mistakes. I think he'll find himself a nice little home playing on a wing. He also captained SA in the U16 Championships a couple of years ago. AFL Comparison: Paul Duffield.

#13 GWS - Fraser McInnes (194cm defender - Perth)

Lots of potential in this kid. Apart from his height, he also has a relatively mature body and is set to debut in the seniors in the coming weeks. For a defender his size, he is pretty mobile and isn't restricted to playing on resting ruckmen and could very well play on the medium types too. He could be one to really move up in the coming months. Having said all that, he can play forward too and presents nicely on the lead. AFL Comparison: Dustin Fletcher.

#14 GWS - Andrew Boseley (194cm defender - Geelong)

Tall, lanky defender who has played on Patton with some good success this year. I originally had him pegged as a late selection, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him push up towards the first round. And now that this is the last pick for GWS for a while, I think they might reach for another KPP. He has great agility and speed for someone his size, and reads the play very well. Generally used his agility and smarts to beat his man, rather than strength. But he'll get stronger with time. AFL Comparison: Harry Taylor.

#15 Richmond - Elliot Kavanagh (187cm midfielder - Western Jets)

Kavanagh missed a fair chunk of the year through injury, but has since returned from his hamstring injury in great fashion. When he first returned, all the hype in the media was about him rocketing up the order but that has since died down a bit. It seems like if someone was to slip a bit, it would be him. No matter though as he is the complete midfielder and deserves a top 15 spot - reading the play, clean hands, speed and foot skills. AFL Comparison: Colin Sylvia.

Also here is another good phamtom draft, which shows the top 15 selection of Knightmare's 2011 Mock Draft

#1 GWS - Jonathon Patton (VIC - KPF)
Height: 197cm, Weight: 95kg, DOB: 20/05/1993
Recruited from: Eastern Ranges
Style: Jonathan Brown
Player comparison: Travis Cloke
Range: 1-2
Profile: Dominant KPF. Doesn’t dominate because of size like a Tom Hawkins did at this level but because he marks so much stronger than everyone else which is why he stands out. Marks at the highest point which is what is important. Great contested mark and big enough to beat his man physically. Reads it well in the air. Strong on the lead. Doesn’t fumble. Can crash packs. Even at his size is a very solid athlete. Kicks goals. Has a nice long kick. Real competitor. One issue is consistency, has big games and other games doesn’t have the same impact, but that will come. The other issue that was worth noting from the champs was how he gets so close to the man on the mark when going for set shot goals, it’s not like he doesn’t have the penetration. Should get fixed without any difficulty. Can play from season ne, but like all forwards will need those 3-4 years in the system to become dominant at the next level. No reason why his ability won’t transfer over to AFL level. Has the potential to be a real powerhouse up forward.
Why: Best key position forward in the draft. GWS have a loaded midfield already so expect them to add the key forward before all else.

#2 GWS - Stephen Coniglio (WA - Mid)
Height: 183cm, Weight: 79kg, DOB: 15/12/1993
Recruited from: Swan Districts Football Club
Style: Marc Murphy
Player comparison:
Range: 1-2
Profile: Big clearance winner. Has good pace. Can go for those burst runs but also has great endurance regularly making those 2nd and 3rd efforts. Has a very high skill level. Good both inside and outside as a mid. Can either be the ball winner or the receiver outside of packs bursting away. Can hit the scoreboard which is a big plus whether that be when playing up forward or through the midfield. Can play in big games as he showed this in the 2010 WAFL grand final where he dominated alongside Andrew Krakouer which is another big tick. Has shown that he can lift his game when it is on the line to be won which is a great sign. Very good cricketer.
Why: Is considered by many as the best mid in the draft or close to and is the only realistic rival to Patton for that no.1 spot, not that, that matters. Along with Patton lock him in as a certainty for GWS.

#3 GWS - Dom Tyson (VIC - Mid)
Height: 186cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 08/06/1993
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers
Style: Simon Black
Player comparison:
Range: 3-5
Profile: Real standout throughout the champs and has really risen up the rankings in a hurry. Really good genuine footballer who doesn’t stand out athletically, but can do it all. Left footer, but can use his right, and use it well when he needs to. Has a really high work rate and has great endurance. Has great vision. Skill level is exceptional for an inside player and has all the footy smarts and decision making ability you could hope for. Big time ball accumulator who should have a fairly immediate impact at the next level through the midfield.
Why: Pretty much a foregone conclusion that Tyson will go top 3 with Patton and Coniglio.

#4 GWS - Will Hoskin-Elliot (VIC – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 182cm, Weight: 73kg, DOB: 02/09/1993
Recruited from: Western Jets
Style:
Player comparison: Isaac Smith
Range: 3-10
Profile: Will is a super high hurt factor type outside mid who can also play forward. Real favourite of mine. Excitement machine. Can just take off, has great pace and will zoom past most players. Has a fantastic 55-60m kick on him and kicks well on both feet. Just always when he has ball in hand feels really dangerous. Very clean no matter the conditions, very one touch. Real x-factor who hurts you with every touch he gets. Can win some hard ball and isn’t a soft outside player. Lively tackler. Not bad overhead and good reader of the play. Has a great leap on him! Fantastic talent with allot to work with! Also worth mentioning is his endurance, broke the draft combine beep test record which is a terrific achievement showing that he has that endurance to go with his high level pace making him an even more attractive prospect!
Why: Gives GWS that potentially elite outside player. Look for GWS to lock Hoskin-Elliot away early in the draft.

#5 GWS - Billy Longer (VIC - Ruck)
Height: 202cm, Weight: 95kg, DOB: 12/05/1993
Recruited from: Northern Knights
Style: Paul Salmon
Player comparison:
Range: 3-10
Profile: Ruckman who can also have an impact as a forward. Looks like a really solid prospect and is the standout ruckman in this draft. Has great size and should grow out solidly. Strong overhead and can take a strong contested grab. Every time you hear about him you hear about his curious left handed tap work for a right footer. For a big has good pace. Gives solid effort and gives those 2nd and 3rd efforts and is very good at ground level. One thing that stood out to me with Longer at the champs is that during the quarter breaks he would always be giving his team mates a rev up and on field would always encourage his team mates consistently which is a good sign. Like most ruckman at a similar age needs to work on endurance and can still get better at pushing forward and being a dangerous marking target, but it should come. Kicking while he has good penetration already he still needs a fair bit of work in on it, doesn’t find the intended target nearly consistently enough. As a forward though is a really strong target and can provide a serious option, so doesn’t have to be a pure ruckman although at his height you’d think eventually that’s the role he plays primarily.
Why: The highest rated ruckman in this year’s draft. GWS’s ruck stocks are pretty slim so a potentially high level ruckman should be high on their list of priorities. No reason to put off selecting him. If left beyond pick 8 don’t be surprised if Brisbane select Longer, their ruck stocks have gone from strong to very slim in a real hurry and likely will look to stock up on one or two ruckmen at some stage during this draft period.

#6 Port Adelaide - Chad Wingard (SA – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 181cm, Weight: 73kg, DOB: 29/07/1993
Recruited from: Sturt
Style: Scott Pendlebury
Player comparison:
Range: 3-6
Profile: Probably my favourite in this draft. Elite left foot kicking. Incredibly clean. An all class midfielder who can also have a big impact on the scoreboard. Big time x-factor. Has positional flexibility where he can impact the game through the midfield or up forward. Has good pace. Has a really nice leap on him and can take a specie. Not soft and has shown he is willing to put his body on the line despite his still slender frame. Really a very good inside player and big winner of the contested footy. Likely will start out playing as an outside mid who goes forward because he is still light but expect long term for him to develop into an excellent inside player. Great leader and captained SA at the u18 champs. Wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up being the best of the lot. Might slide because of average finish to season.
Why: Absolute gift for Port Adelaide if he makes it to this selection. In my mind the best player in this year’s draft. With rumours that GWS are more interested in a couple of others Port Adelaide might just get lucky.

#7 GWS - Adam Tomlinson (VIC – KPF/KPD/Mid)
Height: 194cm, Weight: 90kg, DOB: 10/08/1993
Style: Matthew Pavlich
Player comparison:
Range: 4-15
Profile: Versatile KPP who can play well down either end and even a bit through the midfield. Didn’t stand out as much as I’d hoped he might and wasn’t super consistent during the champs. Against lesser opposition can provide good rebound from defence but can struggle against better opposition which would be my question on him. Also isn’t super quick for a KPP. Is capable when down back of doing some good shut down roles against some very good forwards and keeping their impact down. Up forward doesn’t look out of place either. Strong mark overhead. Ball use good for a taller type. So there is that potential to play either end depending on needs. What he does have is great endurance. Also from reports very coachable.
Why: GWS need more KPPs. Simple as that. If GWS want Tomlinson they need to take him here because Brisbane I expect will be very keen with their lack of young, quality KPPs.

#8 Brisbane - Liam Sumner (VIC - Mid)
Height: 182cm, Weight: 70kg, DOB: 16/08/1993
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons
Style: Isaac Smith
Player comparison:
Range: 5-15
Profile: Hasn’t to this stage shown any consistent inside ability but as an outside mid he is very, very good. Has really explosive pace and can break lines easily and carry the ball great distances. Incredibly agile and can dance around opponents and spin through tackles easily. Very high skill level and finds targets by foot consistently. Can influence the game with limited touches, but still probably doesn’t get enough of it for my liking. Tackles well for someone still fairly light and shows some potential there.
Why: Brisbane need another outside midfielder. Sumner is one of the most talented and a logical choice here to compliment their existing midfield group. Rumours are that Brisbane are considering Greene, but with the addition of Zorko through trade week, not sure that Greene is the right choice.

#9 GWS - Matthew Buntine (VIC – Def/Mid)
Height: 188cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 19/10/1993
Recruited from: Dandenong Stingrays
Style: Bryce Gibbs
Player comparison:
Range: 4-15
Profile: Real standout in this year’s draft who had a surprisingly poor u18 championships but was struggling with injury at the time, so that is forgivable. None the less is an absolute standout talent in this year’s draft. Can play down back or through the midfield well and has that really high skill level and ability to read the play. Reads the ball very well. Very good user of the footy. Can play against players of all sizes and can shut down opposition dangermen. Can play off his man and provide super rebound. Has no problem winning the hard ball. Not a high level athlete but his smarts more than compensate for this. Has that flexibility to play the role you need him to play.
Why:

#10 GWS - Toby Greene (VIC - Mid)
Height: 180cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 15/09/1993
Style: Matthew Boyd
Player comparison:
Range: 5-20
Profile: Like Tyson, Green has really improved his draft stocks with a very strong champs with some big games and has continued that form on nicely. Big time ball magnet. Wins allot of clearances and wins his fair share of contested ball. Shows strong attack on the ball. Particularly good by hand and makes good decisions more often than not. Not a super high level athlete but has a solid endurance base and very good agility.
Why:

#11 GWS - Nic Haynes (VIC – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 191cm, Weight: 70kg, DOB: 18/05/1992
Recruited from: Dandenong Stingrays
Style:
Player comparison: Sam Gilbert (Fwd version)
Range: 5-25
Profile: Tall wingman who can play forward. Is that year older. Very thin build still. Late bloomer and has grown significantly over past 2 years suggesting more improvement. Very strong overhead and consistently marks at the highest point. Very agile and has nice running ability.
Why:

#12 Brisbane - Myles Bolger (WA - Ruck)
Height: 201cm, Weight: 90kg, DOB: 25/03/1993
Recruited from: South Fremantle Football Club
Style: Darren Jolly
Player comparison:
Range: 10-35
Profile: Fantastic tap ruckman, gives mids first use consistently and taps to advantage. Around the ground also very good. Strong mark overhead. Skill level very good for a ruckman. My main concerns are that he doesn’t really jump in the ruck and against bigger or more athletic opponents he might struggle. Not a super athlete and given current lack of size will need to bulk up all. Also has had injury concerns - foot. But 1st round quality ruckman. Give him time because he has essentially missed 2 years of footy.
Why: Brisbane need another young ruckman. Simple as that. Was initially looking at a KPP here, but didn’t like the options and think there will be options at 30, so elected to go for a ruckman now.

#13 GWS - Taylor Adams (VIC – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 181cm, Weight: 80kg, DOB: 20/09/1993
Recruited from: Geelong Falcons
Style: Nathan Foley
Player comparison:
Range: 5-20
Profile: Really impressive inside midfielder. Has really good pace and agility. Has great burst speed and moves really well. Don’t think he would look out of place at AFL level now to be honest. Seems that class above. Good tackling ability. Stands up strongly in tackles and has the strength to break away. Strong mark and can use his body well in marking contests to beat his man which gives him so forward potential as well as midfield potential. Has a great work ethic and is a future leader at whichever club he lands at. His handball ability even under pressure is very good. Looks like an immediate fit who can play at the next level sooner rather than later.
Why: Gives GWS a really immediate midfielder who can play through the middle or up forward if required. Work ethic good and as a new club starting up you need high character kids like Adams to build a core group around.

#14 GWS - Devon Smith (VIC – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 175cm, Weight: 73kg, DOB: 20/05/1993
Recruited from: Geelong Falcons
Style: Brent Harvey
Player comparison:
Range: 5-35
Profile: Not tall, but a big ball winner who works hard around the ground. If you play him up forward he will give you the tackling effort you look for in a small forward. Dominant at U18 level. Leader. Has as good burst of speed and he has great endurance allowing him to pick up big numbers regularly. Strong overhead for size. Hard to see him having the same impact at the next level against bigger, more disciplined opposition because at U18 level he seems to get by because he works harder than everyone else. But still has the opportunity to have a solid AFL career whether that be as a forward or later on through the midfield.
Why:

#15 Richmond - Hayden Crozier (VIC – Fwd/Mid)
Height: 184cm, Weight: 68kg, DOB: 24/12/1993
Recruited from: Eastern Ranges
Style: Dale Thomas
Player comparison:
Range: 10-30
Profile: Still inconsistent and doesn’t impact games as consistently as you would want, but none the less a special talent who can do the team lifting things whether it be taking a specie or kicking a team lifting goal. Already famous for his sensational specie he took during the champs. Absolute highlight machine who can do the special and make it look easy. Still light but has standout speed and really has that young Dale Thomas feel to his play with that tremendous upside. Skill level very high and has a nice long left foot kick. Has great goal sense. Needs to work on endurance, but with work that should come and with it should come consistency. Will also need to add weight, but still very young so that also should come. Really vocal player. Will be one of the youngest players drafted this year and will likely has a fair bit of growth left.
Why:

Pretty much. Coniglio, Patton, Tyson, Longer are pretty much locks in the Top 5 for us. Question is who else do we take. Wingard or Hoskin-Elliot

I'm not too concerned about where in the draft we get them but I think the following players will be must picks.
Jonathon Patton
Stephen Coniglio
Will Hoskin-Elliot
Billy Longer
Chad Wingard

Anything after this lot for me, is money for jam.

The question is do GWS or port get wingard... rest of the top 6 is set

I think its safe to say that GWS will let Wingard slide to port, and at this stage im hearing the likely top 9 picks are:

Patton, Coniglio, Tyson, Hoskin-Elliot, Buntine, Wingard, Tomlinson, Greene, Longer

Tomlinson is going a bit higher then he should but thats only because bris is so keen on him, and Longer is going a bit later since both port and bris don't have strong interest in him.

The real question is, what will you accept for all these draft picks in two years time when they inevitably decide to leave your club?

The real question is, what will you accept for all these draft picks in two years time when they inevitably decide to leave your club?

If telling yourself that makes you feel better about Scully...be my guest and tell that to yourself until you're content. But you might be in for a rude shock...

Geez you are a bit of a sook aren't you? Posting the same crap repeatedly. Why not wander back to the Melbourne board if our existence so upsets you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interested to find out what you guys think are the holes in your list and how they might impact your drafting in the first round.

Not to sure what kinds of players you have on your list at the moment and the positions they play (apart from the signings). What type of players do you need? KPB, KPF, small defenders? And what players do you think need to draft with picks 9, 10, 11, 13 & 14?

Hoping something good slides to the dogs

Cheers

Assuming Patton is a given, I'd like one more quality KPD and one more quality KPF. I'd like Longer, and I'd fill the balance with midfielders of various descriptions. This sounds suspiciously close to the projected selections, given what's available. The KPD might be a stretch though, unfortunately, but we might take someone at 14 higher than they otherwise would be.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=888121

This is my phantom guys. Ive given the giants a fair few mids with their early picks. However, i do believe devon smith will possibly slide, and you could take one of mcinnes, kersten, talia or elton with pick 13 or 14

I dont believe gws will take a gamble on longer, as port have said they will take best available at pick 6, no matter what position

I think u guys will take 2 of Tomlinson, Mcinness and Kersten Depending on whose available.U will take Patton as well as a ruck in Longer. Which leaves you with 7 picks and most likely 1 will be Buntine as a backmen. So six picks are left are u going to take 6 mids or will some of the small backmen and fowards get a look in?

You could look at Ellis, Forster and Docherty as small/medium backmen or D.Smith or Crozier as small forwards/midfielders. This might be a little early for some but u guys have to draft some all positions to ensure you will have a balanced team come round 1. Thoughts?

The final order of draft selection has been completed and GWS has:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 56, 79, 87, 90, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96

So not not only do we have the majority of the picks in the first round but also plenty of picks to get the likes of Macdonald, Bevan, O'hAilpin, Ladson and of course Kris Pendlebury who will be join by his brother very shortly.

The final order of draft selection has been completed and GWS has:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 56, 79, 87, 90, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96

Thanks for posting this. It was surprisingly hard to find the official order, the best I could find was up to pick 56 which made me think we wouldn't have space to draft many uncontracted players.

If they draft Setanta, Bevan and Ladson then I feel a bit more confident for 2012.

Are these picks saved for Zone selection? 90, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96

Could be especially given we were meant to lodge by 2pm today the zone selections for NSW/ACT/NT and no announement has been made of who they are so they might be getting saved for draft night. Also on the NT player front ive been told that Gibson Turner has been seen at training but we might have to wait untill thursday night to see if my information is on the money or not.

On the experiece player front John McCarthy and Rick Ladson have not nominated for the draft so there looking less of a chance to be GWS bound

Also out of interest is anyone planning to come to the draft??

This is Emma Quayle's write up about GWS in her club by club guide to the 2011 AFL draft:

GWS
Draft picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 56, 79
DEPTH CHARTS
TALL FORWARDS
Jeremy Cameron (a)
Israel Folau
Josh Bruce
TALL DEFENDERS
Phil Davis
Tim Mohr
Chad Cornes (v)
Jack Hombsch
Tim Segrave (rookie)
SMALL/MEDIUM FORWARDS
Curtley Hampton
Luke Power (v)
Nathan Wilson
Gerard Ugle
SMALL/MEDIUM DEFENDERS
Shaun Edwards (a)
Mark Whiley
Jacob Townsend
Rhys Cooyoo (rookie)
MIDFIELDERS
Tom Scully
Callan Ward
Sam Reid
Dylan Shiel
Adam Treloar (a)
Rhys Palmer
Tom Bugg (a)
Tim Golds (a)
Sam Darley
Josh Growden
Adam Kennedy
Stephen Clifton
Kurt Aylett
Anthony Miles
Nathan Wilson
Sam Schulz
Nathan Wilson (a)
RUCKS
Jonathan Giles
Dean Brogan (v)
Andrew Phillips (rookie)
DRAFT NEEDS
Work the best of the Giants' existing list into a 2014 line-up and the gaps become evident. They have so many first-round picks on Thursday that even if a couple flop, they'll have a third of their future team sorted, but while they'll zero in on the best teenagers, they also need to fill certain positional needs. They would be aiming to choose their favourites with the first five picks and they're keen on Jon Patton, Stephen Coniglio and Dom Tyson, with Will Hoskin-Elliott a big chance to be in there, as well as Matthew Buntine. Their squad is low on defenders, although Cameron looks comfortable there, and Buntine can read the play like no other in this draft. The Giants could also do with ruckmen Billy Longer and Adam Tomlinson, who could play as a key back, but they'll have to work out which one they most want and hope that if they don't take either in the top five or at No. 7, they don't get picked off by Port Adelaide (Longer) and Brisbane Lions (Tomlinson). They may roll the dice on Longer getting past the Lions and make Tomlinson the priority, planning to pick another ruckman later should Longer get grabbed. Greater Western Sydney might have genuine plans for Giles and Phillips. It does need to bring some big youngsters in, other than Patton, which should place Nick Haynes (a tall wingman) on its list. Devon Smith, a fierce onballer who knows how to kick goals, is another in their mix, as are fellow onballers Liam Sumner and Taylor Adams. They're also keen on Hayden Crozier, a skinny, skilful flanker. The other thing the Giants probably need is an established forward to protect the kids - and Folau - for a few years. Could Setanta O'hAilpin be their man?

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/guide-to-the-2011-afl-draft-20111118-1nnaf.html#ixzz1e40OuRJ1

Patton and Coniglio are mortal locks. Tyson is the probable third.

The key early decision, in my view, is Longer, Wingard, Buntine and Hoskin-Elliott - pick the two you want to guarantee.

I'd go for Longer, and at the end of the day, Im picking Wingard over Hoskin-Elliott and Buntine, and then taking the one of the two Port dont get.

Brisbane then take the best available midfielder at pick 8, who is probably Toby Greene.

GWS then have 9,10,11,13,14, with Brisbane picking again at 12.

I've already said Id pick Longer, and as Jonathon Giles made the NEAFL team of the year, I dont see a need for another ruckman.

The question if you can have too many midfielders then comes up. At pick 9, GWS' midfield rotation will look something like this.

Tom Scully, Callan Ward, Sam Reid, Dylan Shiel, Adam Treloar, Rhys Palmer, Stephen Coniglio, Dom Tyson, Chad Wingard.

Tall forwards on the GWS list at this point are Folau, Patton and Jeremy Cameron.

Tall defenders are Phil Davis, Tim Mohr, Chad Cornes, Jack Hombsch

I'd get Tomlinson in 9-11, as he's a tall who can play forward or back.

Shane Kersten will do nicely as a leading forward to partner the gorillas in Folau and Patton.

I'd then get Talia somewhere in 13-15 - Im relaxed at a non-kicking defender (Andrew Dunkley couldnt kick either), and Mohr, Davis and Talia is a pretty good trio of talls in defense, with Chad Cornes being on-field player/coach.

That leaves 2 spots for smalls, and we go in opposite directions depending whether we got Buntine or Hoskin-Elliott.

If we got Buntine, then we go for speed in Taylor Adams and Hayden Crozier.

If we got Hoskin-Elliott, then we go for toughness in Brandon Ellis and Sam Docherty.

I like your thinking. :thumbsu: If I was picking that's how I'd go, but it looks like I may have to settle for missing out on Wingard and maybe Longer as well if some of the rumours of GWS letting him slide are true and it backfires.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back