Bruce Springsteen

Remove this Banner Ad

What have you made of mine so far UpForGrabs? I've been going back to see how mine compares to yours, it's interesting comparing the two.

You're way more lenient on the newer stuff than I am. Can honestly say that I'm not really of a fan of anything that's come out on Magic or Working on a Dream ('Girls in Their Summer Clothes' being one exception), but I loved the Seeger Sessions album. Best thing he's done since half of Tunnel of Love. Other than that, slim pickings.

Will always hold out hope that there's a masterpiece around the corner though.

There's never any right or wrong countdowns, only the chance to express your opinions... and you're doing a great job of that.

Yeah, see, I've never been a fan of Nebraska (minus Atlantic City), and I don't like The Seeger Sessions at all, way too folky for my liking. Not that big on The River either, minus a few songs.

WOAD was a fairly average album. Magic and The Rising were great though.

You could probably guess number two and one.

And thanks for that, appreciated.

3) Growin’ Up

I lost everything I ever loved or feared, I was the cosmic kid

Another surprise in the top 10, and particularly, so high up.

Growin' Up is a joy to behold.

My first recollection of Growin’ Up goes back a few years. The first version of it I heard was the 1972 recording at Max’s in Kansas City. I liked it for a song that used only an acoustic guitar. Then I managed to find the version from the 1975-85 disc and finally got a copy of a version from The Reunion Tour which is my favourite. It’s a joyous song that keeps that feel throughout the track. When I listen to it, I feel like a kid again, and a little nostalgic.

This is the second song I listen to every morning after I wake up. Without fail.

[YOUTUBE]wtF4ATNH1Qw[/YOUTUBE]

The story in the middle is brilliant. It’s a must watch. It brings tears to my eyes every time.

Someone makes a list of their favourite songs by an artist, and gets bagged because he didn't put in songs that someone else likes.

Way to go, Big Footy.

FWIW I wouldn't have BITUSA or Glory Days in my top 40. I'd have the acoustic BITUSA probably, but not the version we all know.

Looking forward to the last two, Cruyff.

This is probably my favourite Springsteen track
[youtube]L_XilxdwTgc[/youtube]

Racing is awesome. Was watching this with the old man last night actually. Truly brilliant song.

Someone makes a list of their favourite songs by an artist, and gets bagged because he didn't put in songs that someone else likes.

Way to go, Big Footy.

FWIW I wouldn't have BITUSA or Glory Days in my top 40. I'd have the acoustic BITUSA probably, but not the version we all know.

Yeah, I knew people would pipe up about mainstream stuff not reaching the top. And lol at Lost In The Flood/Incident/Rosie being 'arty farty' type songs.

Any guesses PJ? :p

8) Something In The Night

You can ride this road till dawn without another human being in sight

Yet another entry from Darkness. And another song where you can feel the pain in Bruce’s voice throughout the entire track.

I have loved this for a very long time, and I have always been very envious of those who have been at a concert on the rare occasion he plays it live. Those moans throughout the intro, with Max’s work on the drums beginning to rumble louder and louder is something really special. Then the band makes itself known following Max’s climax.The music in it is not overly complicated, much like the lyrics, so they work well off each other.

By far the best bit the combination of Bruce’s guitar work and Max doing his thing on the drums at the end of the final verse. The bass drum to replicate a heartbeat and to back Bruce’s vocal, Bruce letting off that little rip on that Telecaster and Max bashing that tom followed by the floor tom. Definitely one of my favourite pieces of music.

Those moans to close the song out are amazing too. Such a painfully sad song, but it leaves you marveling in its greatness.

[youtube]4oaGsxfGoVY[/youtube]

What is even more astonishing as how you can generate that much emotion in front of nobody.

Hey Cruyff, just wanted to say thanks for bringing this song to my attention...With the extensive catalogue that Bruce has, I'd overlooked this one, but it is truly brilliant. Have had it on repeat for the last two weeks. Love the emotion that pours out in the lyrics...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2) Backstreets

We swore forever friends on the backstreets until the end

All those years ago when I bought Live In New York City on DVD, I neglected disc two for quite some time. I would play disc one and not even give disc two a chance in Hell of being played. Then I was bored one afternoon and I thought why not give it a go. First cab off the rank on disc two was Backstreets, I had no idea what to expect, and especially the impact it would have on me.

From those opening piano chords where Roy is ruling the roost without taking too much of the spotlight. Followed by the organs, then the rumbling of Max’s floor tom, followed by that commanding drum beat that is displayed throughout the song, then Bruce giving that real twang from his Telecaster, I knew it was going to be amazing, and it certainly didn’t disappoint. It has stood the test of time in my love for Springsteen.

It is the first song I listen to every morning when I wake up, I’ve been doing that for probably 2 years now and I am still not sick of it. I don’t think I ever will be either. I listen to it during the day too, the song is flawless. Everything about it is brilliant. The drums, the piano, Bruce’s guitar, the organs. The breakdown after the third verse when it’s done live. All of it. The lyrics are some of the best I have heard. The solo is my favourite piece of music. The passion he shows when he sings this is almost unparalleled. The second best song off Born To Run. And if Max ever controlled a song, THIS was it.

It is my favourite song of all time. Musical brilliance near its epitome. Absolutely faultless song. I don’t think I have seen him command a stage more and evoke so much emotion as what he does during Backstreets.

Watch them all, and I guarantee you’ll be blown away each time.

[YOUTUBE]qOzNxeBvrmI [/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]qarqIUFmcgY[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]2rH0lP5H5u8[/YOUTUBE]

I am a Backstreets fan, but not as big as you. I rate it highly but it would probably not be in my top ten Boss songs.

I will take some time to watch the 3 versions throughout the day. :thumbsu:

Way to go, Big Footy.

I have no problem with him leaving Glory Days out. It's just his reason for doing so that I don't like. Just because a song charts doesn't make it a bad song. That's just a musical pretentious, "I'm better than the general public", attitude that I hate.

I am a Backstreets fan, but not as big as you. I rate it highly but it would probably not be in my top ten Boss songs.

I will take some time to watch the 3 versions throughout the day. :thumbsu:

Cool - let me know your thoughts. :thumbsu:

What are your top 10 btw?

I have no problem with him leaving Glory Days out. It's just his reason for doing so that I don't like. Just because a song charts doesn't make it a bad song. That's just a musical pretentious, "I'm better than the general public", attitude that I hate.

I didn't leave it out cos it charted. I left it out cos I don't like it that much and I enjoy/like the songs I posted a lot more than I do Glory Days. I don't think it's shithouse, I just think he has better songs.

What are your top 10 btw?

1 - Born to Run
2 - Lost in the Flood
3 - Rosalita
4 - Jungleland
5 - Prove it all Night
6 - Racing in the Streets
7 - Incident on 57th Street
8 - Backstreets
9 - Candy's Room
10 - Thunder Road

If I did it tomorrow, it would probably be different.

I only watched the first one. My comp is utter s**t and it was too slow. Getting a new one on Wednesday so hopefully will be able to watch You Tube clips better.

It is always subjective. My sister's favourite all time song is Prove it all Night.

I'm somewhat of a casual Springsteen fan but have been wanting to delve into his catalogue for quite some time but as yet haven't done so.

I did buy Nebraska ages ago and found it an interesting but bleak experience.

Of his songs I like the more popular ones which are the only ones I know. "Hungry Heart" is a great song. I also love "Born To Run" & "Glory Days" & of course "Born In The USA"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back