Tertiary and Continuing What course do you need to do to become an AFL manager?

Remove this Banner Ad

Get drafted first, become a mid range spud and then move into sports management through your personal connections.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking you'll become an AFL manager by doing some crappy uni/tafe sports mangement course.

Get drafted first, become a mid range spud and then move into sports management through your personal connections.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking you'll become an AFL manager by doing some crappy uni/tafe sports mangement course.

Agreed. The only people I know who have become sports managers who weren't sportsmen themselves did a law degree followed by a sports management course.

Gee's you would have to be committed if you were going to take it on.

I had a sandwich & coffee with one of them about a year ago (sort of interview/200 questions on the good, bad and ugly of being an AFL manager)...

Overall assessment is that you get paid (on average) a low percentage on the sell rates and have a stable of maybe 40-50 resources (players) that have varying maintenance requirements.

After the "gloss" of being able to work with some very good players as well as new talent coming through wears off, the message i took away was that the role is a glorified babysitter that requires the manager to be oncall 24/7 and as expected of the stable of 40-50, 2 or 3 are continually taking up 80% of their time...

Some great stories told about the times with the players, but also sounded like it was bloody hard work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back