Best Chinese Food

Remove this Banner Ad

JunglistPosse

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hay guys...every suburb has em...the local chinese sit down, but which is the best? Ive had some shockers, and some goodies but my vote Aquarium chinese in Belmont. A bit on the pricy side, but oh man D Lish.

Depends on price - in descending price

Grand Palace
Joy Kitchen
and my current local - Emperor's Kitchen in Leeming - awesome dim sum, and always packed full of chinese

Grand Palace, got taken there for my Birthday, pretty special!
Joy Kitchen, cant get more authentic than these guys.
Never been to Emperors Kitchen, but if the chinese are frequenting it,must be good.

A secret gem is Good One BBQ in Vic Park...small,yes..dingy..yes...but very very good. The best roast pork and duck in Perth.

I was thinking the one in Northbridge. I work in Freo and havent seen that one yet..

It's on Marine Tce now, it used to be on Point St. It's been around since the mid-late 90's. Typically of a Fremantle restaraunt, it's been around so long that is has become somewhat of an institution. It has enough regulars (much like Pizza Bella Roma, Sandrino's etc) that they really don't care about doing anything different. The same dishes, with the same half assed service, all day, every day.

A few of my relatives love it and we occassionally have to go there for family get togethers. It always gets good reviews, which I can never understand. Other than the owners I've never seen somebody who looks remotely Chinese eating there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The best Chinese food I have had was in China. The worst Chinese food Ive had was also in China though just for a bit of perspective.

It´s really quite amazing what people consider Chinese food these days. When in reality it is nothing more than a sticky sweet amalgamation of westernized concepts of Chinese cuisine.

I actually love the food from joy kitchen. Just so tasty and fresh, when you're onto a good thing stick to it.

For that 1980s genuine Aussie Chinese foodie experience, including special pink sauce and ultra big (and heaps cheap) prawn crackers in multiple colours - nothing beats Gar Lok in Mossie Park.

Old school rules...
Ha ha.... That was the other one that came to mind :thumbsu:
Viet Hoa for the best and cheapest Vietnamese (and Chinese) in the southern hemisphere.

Unit1, 349 William St
Northbridge WA

http://www.viethoa.com.au/
Yeah, used to be the shiz, but changed owners and went south, though do you remember the reference in that rap song 'i love fridays' from Matty ?something? "we go to the viet hoa, where the waitresses are hot and you don't pay a lot..". Probably the only asian restaurant that has had national airplay.

The old owners went to the Li Do on the opposite side of William - where the Yen Do used to be which was the restaurant that introduced me to Chinese food (or what I understood at the time to be chinese food Sweet & Sour Pork FTW!).

What sort of curry do you like?

All of them. It's sort of like a woman for me, there has never been a curry I didn't fancy.

Without wanting to hijack the thread, there's an Indian place on Nth Lake road near Bibra Lake which isn't too bad. Never had propper feast there, just lazy/hangover take away, but still.

I actually love the food from joy kitchen. Just so tasty and fresh, when you're onto a good thing stick to it.

Yeah, lots of people love Joy Kitchen. Like I said, it's an institution. I can't understand it personally, but as always wtih food, it's very much each to their own.

If I do Chinese I generally just stick with dumplings, unless there is something completely ridiculous on the menu that I just need to try. Jelly fish with duck? Sold.

If I'm in the mood for some Asian food, I generally just make it myself or get the missus onto it. The local Chinese restaurant never gets a look in and if I'm travelling further than 10 minutes, the extra effort means I'm going for a cuisine I prefer (Vietnamese, Indian or Thai).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back