DT Forwards 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Everybody was saying the same DockerDolph about Ryan Griffen and Dale Thomas. High end draft picks who just didnt accumulate, or did they? Everyone picked these players or had them high on the radar because they had enormous talent and everyone was chasing their break out years, than they burnt to many bridges. Everyone had, had enough of picking or looking very closely at Thomas and Griffen and all of a sudden as no one picks them, the talent rises to the top and they become DT genius picks. Griffen (08) 4th year, Thomas (2010) 5th year. Everyone was saying the same thing, these players dont accumulate and dont have top line fitness, they were proven wrong.

Just seems like one of the above cases. Hes burnt his bridges and everyone is scared to pick him, i bet the year that no one picks him like the above 2 the year he fires.

Reasons to pick him? above, Moving permanently into the midfield. His running has gone to another level again, 7th i think he finishes in a 2-3km time trial before, now he is second or 3rd with some very good runners ahead at the crows in 5 min run, 8 rest and another 5 min run. Sure it might suit him a little more but he continually is improving. Hes a gun who would demand high currency in return, how many gun players dont go onto score well/elite in DT? The crows can only get better after last year, their midfield is on the way up with a good mix of talent Sloane, Dangerfield, Douglas, Mackay (didnt play much last year) and leadership experience in Vince, ST and the skipper NVB.

Im not saying im def picking him, i couldnt really say that for anyone just yet, just keeping open minded and will be keeping an eye on Dangerman, the thing that worries me is him being tagged.

Some other interesting players for me in the forwards are the midprices
J.Brown, Duncan, Christensen, Ballantyne, Watts

Everybody was saying the same DockerDolph about Ryan Griffen and Dale Thomas.

Was mostly just tongue in cheek KA but I also think PD is different to both Thomas and Griffen. PD is still a DP for me.

Using 'than' instead of 'then'.

Confirmation Keystone agony is DWD.

Does that really matter to anyone?

I remember everything saying - Thomas will never accumulate the ball, he will always average 70-80 and be a flashy player; look at him now. Dangerfield will definitely average 90+ in years to come, whether it's this year or next though, I don't know. However at the moment there is a new coach coming from a high possession gameplan, he is training with the midfielders, he is leading the running. Good signs so far.

I remember everything saying - Thomas will never accumulate the ball, he will always average 70-80 and be a flashy player; look at him now. Dangerfield will definitely average 90+ in years to come, whether it's this year or next though, I don't know. However at the moment there is a new coach coming from a high possession gameplan, he is training with the midfielders, he is leading the running. Good signs so far.

Its just so hard to pick, and even Thomas was only a great DT player for one year.
Last year he was OK but you could have done better for the money.

Its just so hard to pick, and even Thomas was only a great DT player for one year.
Last year he was OK but you could have done better for the money.

Hahah you made me laugh

Incrasing his avg by 8, was he AA? i think he was

Clearly his best season avg 103 dt points. Are you saying that avg 103 is avg? haha:eek:

Hahah you made me laugh

Incrasing his avg by 8, was he AA? i think he was

Clearly his best season avg 103 dt points. Are you saying that avg 103 is avg? haha:eek:

He didn't say he was average, he said he was OK, which he was. He also said there were players who you could've done better with for the coin, which there were

Rocky
Redden
Murph
ST
Mitch
Gibbs
Priddis
Shiels

all mids who averaged over a ton that increased their average by more than Thomas

He didn't say he was average, he said he was OK, which he was. He also said there were players who you could've done better with for the coin, which there were

Rocky
Redden
Murph
ST
Mitch
Gibbs
Priddis
Shiels

all mids who averaged over a ton that increased their average by more than Thomas

Also a few much cheaper players who scored nearly as much, that would have free'd up cash for better players.

Wasn't a disaster but he wasn't going to win you the contest either.

Rocky
Redden
Murph
ST
Mitch
Gibbs
Priddis
Shiels

Average = okay (same dog different leg).

Is 103 an okay year? id see its a very good year. Look at his AA and brownlow votes to back it up. Not to mention some so called "experts" in the media were labelling him the best player in the comp at one point. Always exaggerating but just shows he had a very good/great year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is 103 an okay year? id see its a very good year. Look at his AA and brownlow votes to back it up. Not to mention some so called "experts" in the media were labelling him the best player in the comp at one point. Always exaggerating but just shows he had a very good/great year.

I was refering to his choice as a dreamteam player (retrospectively - i'm not that good at predictions ).
AA, best player, brownlow votes, all not applicable.

AA, brownlow etc all irrelevant to DT. It's all relevant to selected price and expectations.

Thomas was the 15th best mid last year on average and also missed 3 games, hardly a guy you'd want in your final squad. If your backup for Thomas scored 70 for each game he missed you've lost another 100 points. Of the top 15 mids only 2 played less than 20 games.

So he was average, he was OK, he was fair, he was reasonable. But only because he increased his output.

Given the bye situation I'm not sure how he can be considered this year with 2 other Pies likely to be the top 2 scorers in the comp

I agree with 54......DT wise, if they're not looking like being in the top 10 scoring players for that position IMO they're OK and the DT coaches that are 'OK' can select them.

Between you and I and the fence post, and I say this every year....I list who I think will be the top 10 scoring players for each position, 5 for ruck and will only look at taking these players as premium keepers in my team. Otherwise it's rookies and possibly a few of the bargain type (Price Reduction) players.

By all means if you're happy ending up with a team of OK players at the end of the year it really doesnt worry me, in fact I endorse it!

Whilst players may be undervalued at that awkward price, unless they can develop into a season keeper it seems a waste to me to start them or trade them in.

Just my 2c worth.

Rather than getting fixated with your starting team each pre season, this is the time you really should be planning your final team.

The Thomas comment was in relation to us comparing him to Dangerfield and seeing what he could potentially do this year. Being a prized high draft pick, massive talent forward becoming midfielder that apparently has no tank like the same was said for Griffen and Thomas 2-3 years ago.

If Dangerfield avgs 103 than its alot better than ok**

** (Not saying he will)

Positions aside we are comparing Dangerfield to Thomas in scoring capability and the similarities between the two.

Why are people comparing Dangerfield to Thomas? They're not even similar players. Dangerfield is a contested footy winning ball of muscle and Thomas is a flashy outside player (although he's as gutsy as they come when it's his turn to win the ball, he's still primarily an outside player).

Why are people comparing Dangerfield to Thomas? They're not even similar players. Dangerfield is a contested footy winning ball of muscle and Thomas is a flashy outside player (although he's as gutsy as they come when it's his turn to win the ball, he's still primarily an outside player).

Because of the reasons listed. We can compare him more to Griffen if you want. Basically talent wise.

I agree with 54......DT wise, if they're not looking like being in the top 10 scoring players for that position IMO they're OK and the DT coaches that are 'OK' can select them.

Between you and I and the fence post, and I say this every year....I list who I think will be the top 10 scoring players for each position, 5 for ruck and will only look at taking these players as premium keepers in my team. Otherwise it's rookies and possibly a few of the bargain type (Price Reduction) players.

By all means if you're happy ending up with a team of OK players at the end of the year it really doesnt worry me, in fact I endorse it!

Whilst players may be undervalued at that awkward price, unless they can develop into a season keeper it seems a waste to me to start them or trade them in.

Just my 2c worth.

Rather than getting fixated with your starting team each pre season, this is the time you really should be planning your final team.

Second that.

Also, in terms of the the bye rounds, there seems to be a lot of obsessing over getting a starting line up of 10-10-10. Sure you need team balance but the focus really should be on your "keepers" and making sure you've got a good balance in this area. One loose rule I'm adopting at this stage is to ensure I have no more than two keepers with the same bye in the BACs MIDs and FWDs and separate byes for the two starting RUCs.

Second that.

Also, in terms of the the bye rounds, there seems to be a lot of obsessing over getting a starting line up of 10-10-10. Sure you need team balance but the focus really should be on your "keepers" and making sure you've got a good balance in this area. One loose rule I'm adopting at this stage is to ensure I have no more than two keepers with the same bye in the BACs MIDs and FWDs and separate byes for the two starting RUCs.

Im not letting the byes get in my way too much, although my team so far seems to be working out okay around it anyway. I certainly dont want 4 keepers in the same position with the same bye. Although with the new rule change in regards to DPP and those players without DPP can be traded for a player in another position if you have a DPP to cover it. Gets very confusing and hard to say :p. So i think you will be able to trade yourself out of a sticky situations better this year than last.

It really depends which players you are leaving out for the ones that you are picking. If your leaving out player X (keeper) for player Y (keeper) because the bye doesn't suit your side than you have to look out how much more they may avg or what the difference in avg is. If by picking Player Y you stear clear of a zero, but by picking player X you get a zero than it doesnt really matter if Player X avgs 3 more throughout the entire year (because he becomes equally as good a pick). Also you have to remember that Player Y also has a bye but you have picked him because you "think/went with the idea" you wouldnt cop a zero because you will have a bench option to cover. This bench option might score 30-40 points less depending.

Anyway hope that can be understood, because i cant understand it. Is anyone else getting the feeling of wanting to pick 12 forwards and 6 backs? Forward line is a strength this year IMO especially compared to last year.

I think it will be more important on how you trade your rookies in regards to timing, switching positions or keeping them. ie: if you start with 4 GWS rookies in the mids, than your going to want to get rid of out least 2 of them by round 11 and thats if you have no players from that bye round as keepers ie: Boyd, Redden, Rockliff ect. Once you have a premium in there, then it will be important to trade out 3 rookies from GWS before round 11 which is easier said than done.

I'll be trying to get rookies in the third group, ( Maybe Saad ) , hoping that they can cover for the 1st or second group in the bye, then upgrade to someone from the second or first groups before their bye.
Pretty hard with all the GWS in the first bye though and it would depend on a lot of luck going my way.

I am just picking the best rookies from the start and figure I can balance those out when it comes to cashing some of them in. If I get the best guys and need to make a move at bye time having the guys who have done the best gives me more sideways options.

It really depends which players you are leaving out for the ones that you are picking. If your leaving out player X (keeper) for player Y (keeper) because the bye doesn't suit your side than you have to look out how much more they may avg or what the difference in avg is. If by picking Player Y you stear clear of a zero, but by picking player X you get a zero than it doesnt really matter if Player X avgs 3 more throughout the entire year (because he becomes equally as good a pick). Also you have to remember that Player Y also has a bye but you have picked him because you "think/went with the idea" you wouldnt cop a zero because you will have a bench option to cover. This bench option might score 30-40 points less depending.

Anyway hope that can be understood, because i cant understand it. Is anyone else getting the feeling of wanting to pick 12 forwards and 6 backs? Forward line is a strength this year IMO especially compared to last year.

I'm looking at it from an "all other things being equal" perspective - ie both players are likely to average the same. If you believe one is likely to average 3 pts per round more, then you have a different decision to make. A good history of reliability comes into play as well.

Re the second comment - yep - there appear to be a lot more options in the FWDs this year - particularly in the "on the cusp of premium" bracket. The BACs are causing headaches at this stage and I suspect the game will be won and lost on who can find the BAC gems this year - could be where we'll see this year's Fyfe.

Second that.

Well I don't think your starting squad matters, but by the time round 11 rolls around, my aim is to have 8-11-11 and then do some serious trading after the first bye round. The only thing I am doing is avoiding premiums from the first bye round - these will be my upgrade targets after that round. I'll try and balance my opening squad, but as long as when round 11 hits I have 8-11-11, it's a good place to start.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back