• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

HurleyTheFuture

Club Legend
Sep 4, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
I would pick Garlett going forward if I had a choice for one of them to be at Hawthorn, but since the poll was about recent performances ( that's the way I took it ), I picked Luke Breust.
Fair enough, but Bruest has plenty too prove and it will be hard to replicate his 2011 form but even on recent form Garlett has been better

Swade

Team Captain
Jul 18, 2009
Melb
AFL Club
Carlton
I would pick Garlett going forward if I had a choice for one of them to be at Hawthorn, but since the poll was about recent performances ( that's the way I took it ), I picked Luke Breust.

In what way has Breust been the better recent performer? Garlett has been a top shelf small forward since his first game. Garlett kicked close to 50 goals in 2011 to Breusts 30, Breust obviously played less games, but he also got 9 goals from his 2 games vs gold coast, garlett got 5 from just the 1 game we had vs GC.

Dont think that just because he has similar goals per game avg that he would continue that through every game, that is a horrible way to judge performance, for example franklin kicked 4 goals against carlton in 1 half of footy, would you then assume he would kick another 4 goals in the 2nd half? Footy doesnt work that way and players will always have up and down games, Garlett is EASILY the more proven and quality performer in this poll, and he did this with a very limited pre season leading into 2011, he has shown no signs of slowing down either, 1 of the quickest players in the league, and for every goal he kicks himself, would create 2 or 3 with his manic pressure and blistering pace. Dont kid yourself, this is not even close.

Fair enough, but Bruest has plenty too prove and it will be hard to replicate his 2011 form but even on recent form Garlett has been better

How? He played 17 Games, Missed 8 Games. Still ended up kicking 30 Goals. He was the Sub 6 times, and averaged about 55% game time. If he has more game time this season and plays more games. Then he will kick about 35-45 goals this season and have a better output then 2011! :thumbsu:

Swade

Team Captain
Jul 18, 2009
Melb
AFL Club
Carlton
How? He played 17 Games, Missed 8 Games. Still ended up kicking 30 Goals. He was the Sub 6 times, and averaged about 55% game time. If he has more game time this season and plays more games. Then he will kick about 35-45 goals this season and have a better output then 2011! :thumbsu:

Something about hawthorn supporters and thinking more game time means they will perfectly maintain they're average disposals and goals and therefore everything will increase exponentially, form varies within games let alone throughout a year, you cant just take someones average from a smaller sample and compare it to a similar average from a larger sample, that is so flawed.

Wont be voting and really this poll is far too early for a comparison. Garlett is ahead at the moment but Breust has only played 1 year. At the end of this year I'll come back but I expect Garlett to still be ahead.

Prudster

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Something about hawthorn supporters and thinking more game time means they will perfectly maintain they're average disposals and goals and therefore everything will increase exponentially, form varies within games let alone throughout a year, you cant just take someones average from a smaller sample and compare it to a similar average from a larger sample, that is so flawed.

This is pretty dumb. You don't get averages per minute of game time, you get averages per game. Thus if Bresut played 50% of a game, or 100% of a game, it still counts as one game. Obviously if he played more time, he would get more statistics, thus increasing his average per game. The fact is that, statistically, Garlett and Breust are extremely similar, despite the fact that Breust played like 48% game time compared to Garlett's 80+%. One would tend to think if Breust played 80+%, he would be statistically better.

I also find it amazing that people are quoting Garlett's total goals. If Breust had played the same number of games, let alone the same number of minutes, he would have just as many goals. Even if you take into acocampaigner his averages may drop with extra games, he would still be statistically better than Garlett, and this is in his first year of playing semi-consistent footy in the firsts.

Not nearly as lop sided as many Carlton fans would anticipate.

Garlett has had patches where his form has been questionable at best.

It's still Jeff but I'm a fan of young Breust.

Swade

Team Captain
Jul 18, 2009
Melb
AFL Club
Carlton
I also find it amazing that people are quoting Garlett's total goals. If Breust had played the same number of games, let alone the same number of minutes, he would have just as many goals. Even if you take into acocampaigner his averages may drop with extra games, he would still be statistically better than Garlett, and this is in his first year of playing semi-consistent footy in the firsts.

No, no and no.
So your psychic then? you can flat out say if bruest played more gametime + more games he would score more goals? Not only do stats not tell the whole story, garlett averages similar stats from more exposed form, it is always easier for statistics to fail when taken from a smaller sample, thats just the way it works, not to mention when your starting as a sub, you come on with fresh legs, and you can run off tired players he otherwise might not have been able to had he played 80+% as you say, more gametime does not equal more stats.

if he can average similar numbers from a full year in 2012, then come back, until then, you cant compare. Especially when his only 2 stand out games were against GC.

DTRAIN87

Cancelled
Suspended
Mar 18, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
This is pretty dumb. You don't get averages per minute of game time, you get averages per game. Thus if Bresut played 50% of a game, or 100% of a game, it still counts as one game. Obviously if he played more time, he would get more statistics, thus increasing his average per game. The fact is that, statistically, Garlett and Breust are extremely similar, despite the fact that Breust played like 48% game time compared to Garlett's 80+%. One would tend to think if Breust played 80+%, he would be statistically better.

You have just illustrated the point he is trying to make perfectly when you refer to the number of games (this is what he was referring to when mentioning the game time and then you say he would have kicked the same goals if he played the same minutes. Nice contradiction.

I agree with the Carlton lad that there is no certainty Breust could match Garlett if all things regarding time were equal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HyperAgressiveDonk

Cancelled
Aug 6, 2008
Red Moon
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
City Middle & Angela Surf City
Not nearly as lop sided as many Carlton fans would anticipate.

Garlett has had patches where his form has been questionable at best.

It's still Jeff but I'm a fan of young Breust.

Thanks for the level-headed reply. I wouldn't disagree with any of this.

Garlett and it shouldn't be this close (14 vs 8). He was one of the premier small forwards this year, and is the small forward I would take at Essendon over any other right now. Bruest has talent, there's no doubt about that, but Garlett is that much better than him

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
This is pretty dumb.

Really?

"I also find it amazing that people are quoting Garlett's total goals. If Breust had played the same number of games, let alone the same number of minutes, he would have just as many goals."

Are you the type of guy who thinks when a player has kicked 4 by half time that they're going to end up with 8 for the match?

Why wouldn't people be quoting Garlett's total goals? It would seem very strange not to. Ever heard of the saying "runs on the board"? This is why Garlett takes the poll in a canter. Bruest looks to have plenty of talent and who knows, he may wind up being more damaging than Jeffy, but right now, Garlett has a fair few more runs on the board and there's no indication Bruest is going to go passed him.

Hodgepodge

Hall of Famer
Suspended
30k Posts 10k Posts
Apr 28, 2008
Erin Riley's air mattress
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No, no and no.
So your psychic then? you can flat out say if bruest played more gametime + more games he would score more goals?

It's a safe bet that if he plays, 5 more games for example, he would at least score ONE more goal, given that his average is 1.8 goals per game.

Hodgepodge

Hall of Famer
Suspended
30k Posts 10k Posts
Apr 28, 2008
Erin Riley's air mattress
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Breust actually outperformed Garlett in 2011 in terms of goal contributions (goals and goal assists).

This with a TOG% of 48% to Garlett's 85%.

Have to go with Garlett but I think Bruest has more upside.
Great effort coming off the Rookie list.

Upside based on what? Are you saying Bruest matches Garlett in most disciplines but is better in others? Where is Garlett lacking or is this a supporter's feeling?

Oh and where did Garlett come from again?

pacman

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2006
Sunny Gold Coast
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Upside based on what? Are you saying Bruest matches Garlett in most disciplines but is better in others? Where is Garlett lacking or is this a supporter's feeling?

Oh and where did Garlett come from again?
Upside based on the amount of times he was sub and time played, the potential of size, speed and strength.
I wouldn't think Garlett will get much faster as he doesn't need to and he is the size of a pencil and always will be.

Forgive me for not pissing in Garletts pocket for coming off the rookie list.

Back