Weg Posters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey Guys just wanted to start a thread about Weg Posters.
Are these things still even popular?

I Have a few from 98 -07 only paid $2 each for them so i guess not of the modern era.
here is one i saw out & about.
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The one pictures is one of the rare losing team posters. The winning team posters are sold at the ground after the match. When the match is close they will have both teams posters ready for the end of the match. The losing team posters are said to be destroyed, but some survive and are worth alot of money.

The first WEG premiership posters, the 1954 Footscray Premiership posters, are valuable items. Two have been sold recently for thousands. To have purchase one of these would have been good for Footscray supporters as they would have been the only ones interested in a cartoon poster celebrating their premiership. It took a few years for these posters to become famous.

One of my mates has the complete set of Weg posters plus at least a dozen losing posters like the one in the picture above.
All of his posters are originals not reprints.
I can't imagine what the complete set would be worth, he has kept the posters in near mint condition as well.

One of my mates has the complete set of Weg posters plus at least a dozen losing posters like the one in the picture above.
I can't imagine what the complete set would be worth, he has kept the posters in near mint condition as well.

He would have to know someone at the Herald Sun to have the losing team posters. The full set of WEG premiership posters would be worth a fortune. Their shouldn't be any more produced due to WEG's passing, but somehow new WEG premiership posters are being produced, and I am not talking about the Michael Knight posters. I have also seen pictures for the Suns and the Giants. However, your friends set of posters, 1954 to 2008, are the original posters, purchased after each premiership win.

Hey Guys just wanted to start a thread about Weg Posters.
Are these things still even popular?

I Have a few from 98 -07 only paid $2 each for them so i guess not of the modern era.
here is one i saw out & about.
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/860/collingwoodwegposterfro.jpg/] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/URL]
Agree with all of the above. You can still purchase the more recent (1997-) posters cheaply online but the older ones vary in price due to their condition and demand.
The 1954 poster - well there were actually 2 varieties made - one with the year on it, the other without a year on it is being auctioned by leski auctions (www.leski.com.au) in Feb 2012. The expected price range is $8,000-$10,000.
There are losing posters about which do attract a premium. The only one i personally have left is a 1999 Carlton "losing" poster in excellent condition. I'd love to either swap it for a different losing year OR hear if anyone is interested in selling me a different year.
As for fakes - be careful - there are fakes about. I have been burnt twice now :(
IF you want more information on Weg Posters, I have created a website that won't go online until Feb 2012. I'm just making some changes to it and getting some historical info from the Green family before I hit the upload button. www.wegposters.com.au will be the website.
By all means reply to this post if you have any questions about the posters.
Richard.

Agree with all of the above. You can still purchase the more recent (1997-) posters cheaply online but the older ones vary in price due to their condition and demand.
The 1954 poster - well there were actually 2 varieties made - one with the year on it, the other without a year on it is being auctioned by leski auctions (www.leski.com.au) in Feb 2012. The expected price range is $8,000-$10,000.
There are losing posters about which do attract a premium. The only one i personally have left is a 1999 Carlton "losing" poster in excellent condition. I'd love to either swap it for a different losing year OR hear if anyone is interested in selling me a different year.
As for fakes - be careful - there are fakes about. I have been burnt twice now :(
IF you want more information on Weg Posters, I have created a website that won't go online until Feb 2012. I'm just making some changes to it and getting some historical info from the Green family before I hit the upload button. www.wegposters.com.au will be the website.
By all means reply to this post if you have any questions about the posters.
Richard.

What about weg prototypes?
Ive always wondered for example what happened to the ones they used to have on the grand final footy show on card of the winners & losers? Coz really thats the only time we see the losing 1 in
Public

He would have to know someone at the Herald Sun to have the losing team posters. The full set of WEG premiership posters would be worth a fortune. Their shouldn't be any more produced due to WEG's passing, but somehow new WEG premiership posters are being produced, and I am not talking about the Michael Knight posters. I have also seen pictures for the Suns and the Giants. However, your friends set of posters, 1954 to 2008, are the original posters, purchased after each premiership win.

These are WEG art ones done for/by his family
http://www.wegart.com.au/

Pretty sure that the WEG posters with the number of the year on them were done retrospectively

Is it really worth $2,000...probably not. I suppose the "obvious" answer is that it's worth what ever anyone is willing to pay for it...but 2 grand? Way too much in my opinion. One sold on eBay 2 weeks ago for $700 odd. IF I had the money I'd personally pay maybe absolutely tops $700 - only cos I like the look of the poster - not cos I think it's worth lots a money of that makes sense. Most of the current losing GF posters go for about 500-700. If you do a search on ebay, someone has examples of losing grand finals...here's a good link ==> http://www.flickr.com/photos/25072333@N02/

What about weg prototypes?
Ive always wondered for example what happened to the ones they used to have on the grand final footy show on card of the winners & losers? Coz really thats the only time we see the losing 1 in
Public
See a previous post. Check out => http://www.flickr.com/photos/25072333@N02/ for posters of some of the losing posters. The story goes that the losing posters are all destroyed except for a few. I'm hopefully meeting up with one of the Green family next month so I'll get the low-down on losing posters, fakes etc.
As for the ones they show on the footy show etc -> I'm guessing that someone like Eddy takes it home :) or the Weg representative takes it home with him. 1 or 2 of the Weg sketches that they had shown on the eve of the GF a few years ago -> I have seen them sold on either ebay or leski auctions in recent times.....so someone gets them!
Richard H.

These are WEG art ones done for/by his family
http://www.wegart.com.au/

Pretty sure that the WEG posters with the number of the year on them were done retrospectively
Apart from the 1954-2008 ones, Weg also did some "retrospective" ones dating back to the first GF....well I don't think the first premiership was a grand final...I think it was a round robin thing. Anyway doesn't matter. So yes Weg did some retrospective ones as well as a great "Hungry" for Bartlett's 400th. He did cricket ones as well, as well as some car racing ones. He also prodec a limed edition of 500 of the "Hird and Sheedy" poster that appeared in the Herald Sun a few years ago....He also drew up a promotional "Premiers 2015" for a Mars Bar "Believe" campaign suggesting that a Tasmanian team would win the GF in 2015.
RH

Apart from the 1954-2008 ones, Weg also did some "retrospective" ones dating back to the first GF....well I don't think the first premiership was a grand final...I think it was a round robin thing. Anyway doesn't matter. So yes Weg did some retrospective ones as well as a great "Hungry" for Bartlett's 400th. He did cricket ones as well, as well as some car racing ones. He also prodec a limed edition of 500 of the "Hird and Sheedy" poster that appeared in the Herald Sun a few years ago....He also drew up a promotional "Premiers 2015" for a Mars Bar "Believe" campaign suggesting that a Tasmanian team would win the GF in 2015.
RH

The person i spoke 2. Had a 2003 weg winning poster & web losing. Both on card. About as thick as a cereal box. They also had the wrap around for the herald sun for the saturday not the actual paper but the one that was a template from the printers. Thats y i asked about the prototype 1s It looked like the 1 they hold up at the footy show. ( well i didnt see the pies on out of the frame but saw the lions one & was told they were the same)

I have noticed that a lot of the hawks losing posters are very similar.

Also weg did a different cartoon for each of the dvd/video covers, but knight has not. I wonder why that is?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The full set....wow. Some time in the future I'd love to interview the guy for a section in my weg website due to come back online in feb.
**** To anyone else reading this, there is currently a 1955 "original" on eBay for $2000 or so. I need to be careful here so all I will just say it looks to be in EXTRAORDINARY EXCELLENT condition for a piece of paper almost 60 years old.
The same seller sold a 1958 Coll poster a month or so ago which ended up being returned to him. You decide...

The full set....wow. Some time in the future I'd love to interview the guy for a section in my weg website due to come back online in feb.
**** To anyone else reading this, there is currently a 1955 "original" on eBay for $2000 or so. I need to be careful here so all I will just say it looks to be in EXTRAORDINARY EXCELLENT condition for a piece of paper almost 60 years old.
The same seller sold a 1958 Coll poster a month or so ago which ended up being returned to him. You decide...

WegPoster boy,

I read your email about the Melbourne 1955 Weg poster, and that the dude who had it on ebay, had to return a 1958 he sold. As I brought the 1955 three weeks ago for over $2,000, I am concerned. I am having it looked at by a Weg expert in Melbourne. As a serious collector of Weggis I will be very unhappy if I'm sold a fake. I take on board your comments that the 1955 was in fantastic condition.

Ten years ago I brought the 1954, 56, 57, 58 60, 62 from Weg himself. Could you email me the details about the sale and return of the 1958 Weg?. I cannot stand fakers in the Weg market. All information will be treated as totally confidential.

My contact phone number if you would like to reply to me, but not through email is 07 4639 1172. I have notified ebay of this potential problem.

Regards,

James Madden
Toowoomba
Queensland

Does anyone know if there was a weg player caricature poster for the winning 1988 premiership like the 86 Buckanera, 89 Platten, 78 Scott, 91 Tuck etc... I have looked online but have found nothing. If anyone knows or has a picture that would be fantastic.

I like this 1958 losing one for Melbourne.

On the subject of overall WEG premiership posters, it's been a hobby of mine for the last 6 or so years to collect all of them from 1897. I have one left, and I cannot find it anywhere. Richmond - 1943.

Screenshot 2015-06-15 18.13.57.png

On the subject of overall WEG premiership posters, it's been a hobby of mine for the last 6 or so years to collect all of them from 1897. I have one left, and I cannot find it anywhere. Richmond - 1943.

View attachment 143888
You might have some luck here. http://www.footycards.com.au/premiership-posters/premiership-original.html#ty;pagination_contents;/premiership-posters/premiership-original-page-3.html
Was it definitely produced at the time.. Might've been due to rationing during world war 2? Also know where it is possible to get that Freo poster original? Awesome 'Losing' poster by the way

View attachment 143888

The first WEG poster was produced in 1954 for the Doggies and I understand there are only about 5 in existence and they sell for north of 10K
Are you collecting the actual hard copy posters or just the images online?

Edit: Just read the post above about retrospective posters being produced so that answers my question.

Last edited:
Great thread but was wondering how to get the losing teams posters and what collection of losing ones do people have on here.

Does anyone know if there was a weg player caricature poster for the winning 1988 premiership like the 86 Buckanera, 89 Platten, 78 Scott, 91 Tuck etc... I have looked online but have found nothing. If anyone knows or has a picture that would be fantastic.
image.jpg Gary Ayres

Remove this Banner Ad

Back