Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts NFL Board HoF
Oct 5, 2004
Athens, GA
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Phils, Eagles, Flyers, Sunderland
Does anybody have aan audio (or video) of the old club song for the Brisbane Bears?

"If you are a Queenslander
Then sing along with me
We are the Bears on the road to victory...."

I posted a comment on it in the favorite games post, but I'm pretty sure a number of people won't see that. TheBrownDog also said he was interested in it, but like me, had had no luck via the NET.

Anybody? Maybe an old video that has the song after the game, or even the team singing it in the changing rooms?

Much appreciated!

usalion

We tried to track this down a couple of years ago and apparently the club doesn't have it - this is insane. Dare to Beat the Bear is all over the place, but not the second, more recent Bears song.

Not that the club has a considerable social network at their disposal we could try tracking it down through that. Will try and initiate this on Monday.

Cheers, mate- just hoping somebody who posts here might have it. But appreciate anything you can do.

Just thunk a thought, usually on Sports Delivered DVD's they have the boys singing the club song after a win (some don't, like the Bulldogs in 08, Port in 09 and the Pies in 10), someone could order a DVD and see if the song is there?

Just thunk a thought, usually on Sports Delivered DVD's they have the boys singing the club song after a win (some don't, like the Bulldogs in 08, Port in 09 and the Pies in 10), someone could order a DVD and see if the song is there?

Already tried that with a few old Bears games. No luck.

Even if it isn't, great find PK.

And let me be the first to say...

tumblr_lmtg3qxQIT1qzma4ho1_400.jpg

Sorry, no luck with a video, but these are the lyrics :)

Brisbane Bears Club Song
(To the music of "Glory, Glory, Helleluja")

1st Verse
If you are a Queenslander then sing along with me
We are the Bears on the road to victory
All for one and one for all
We'll answer to the call
We're the greatest team of all

2nd Verse
We're the fearless Brisbane Bears
From the mighty northern state
Our pride and guts and character are gonna make us great
Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth will know their fate
When the Bears run out and roar

Chorus
Brisbane Bears will live forever
We will always stick together
The Gabba is the place where people always come to see
The greatest team of all

3rd Verse
The whistle blows the ball is bounced
The crowd all give a yell
And we will do our very best until the final bell
And when the game is over
We'll be closer to the flag
We're the greatest team of all

Chorus
Brisbane Bears will live forever
We will always stick together
The Gabba is the place where people always come to see
The greatest team of all.

Brisbane Bears Club Song
(To the music of "Glory, Glory, Helleluja")

Technically it's "Battle Hymn of the Republic" a US Civil War era song.

Ironically, the song's alternate name is "John Brown's Body".

Please jog my memory, what were years was this song was used?

I know it from 1995 and 1996, which is when I came to Brisbane. May have been a year or two before that as well- the guys who followed footy in the early 90s will be more definitive.

I know the merger c aused a lot more difficulty- the two that got me were changing the colours (I really liked the maroon with the gold V) and the club song. I have a nice photo somewhere of the club doing a lap around the Gabba in training as they ran by the Cricketers' Club- all with the maroon and gold on.

Makes me wish I had bought a Bears guernsey when they changed over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll let you know which one it is when it arrives:cool:

Either way, quite happy with that pick up.:thumbsu:

I laughed when it came up here, I had been watching for a while, bit more than I wanted to pay, but they don't come up too often.

1996 Second Semi Final, the 97-Point win over the Carlton Blues, the team sings the 1st Verse with the Chorus.

1996 Second Semi Final, the 97-Point win over the Carlton Blues, the team sings the 1st Verse with the Chorus.

What a great game (apart from the massive injury to Voss)- I was at the Gabba for that one and was going crazy with the sheer dominance we showed.

Couple of questions:

1) Is this part of the video on the Name a Game package from Sports delivered?
and
2) Do you have a copy of the game- and could you post a clip of it? The team singing, that is.

Cheers

The record off ebay was the Dare to Beat the Bear version.

Awesome condition though!!

What a great game (apart from the massive injury to Voss)- I was at the Gabba for that one and was going crazy with the sheer dominance we showed.

Couple of questions:

1) Is this part of the video on the Name a Game package from Sports delivered?
and
2) Do you have a copy of the game- and could you post a clip of it? The team singing, that is.

Cheers

Answers:

1) The game is available on on DVD in the Name a Game at Sports Delivered.
2) I do have a copy of that game, if I cannot post a clip of the team sing their Club Song, you'll have to buy game on DVD from Sports Delivered.

Already tried that with a few old Bears games. No luck.

The Brisbane Bears Club Songs should be played when the Brisbane Lions wear the Brisbane Bears Kits in the Heritage Round.

The Brisbane Bears Club Songs should be played when the Brisbane Lions wear the Brisbane Bears Kits in the Heritage Round.

Well, I just bought a copy of this game. So when it comes in hopefully the same software I used to make my SkiFree Monster avatar will come in handy again.

Fingers crossed everyone!

The next time I watch the 2nd Semi Final on DVD, I'll record the singing of the Club Song.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back