Society/Culture Geoffrey Rush named Australian of the Year

Remove this Banner Ad

You gave the "100 years ago", I was just trying to determine where you drew the line between art as communication and art not as communication.

If not a specific work, there must have been a particular school or style that you believe represents the last use of art as communication. What would you say that was?

No idea Chief - as I said, enlighten me.

I'm just not sure what Australian of The year is supposed to be.

One year they give it to the doctor who does make the leading medical breakthrough.
The next year it goes to a celeb who does their job well and is known by lots of magazine readers.
Then we get the people who do work charitably in areas that lack funding - eg aboriginal health.
Then we get Sportsman of the Year.

It all seems so random. I saw that one of the nominees had been working in his area of First Aid for years (it may have been a senior AofY, but same thing). Does he get nominated again, if he keeps going next year, or was this his one chance, and because it was the 'celeb' year, he misses out?

I'm just not sure what we are trying to celebrate with the Australian of the Year.

[YOUTUBE]o0fmQTS_ETw[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]FPeFqqiuzF0[/YOUTUBE]

Re: Australian of The Year - Geoffrey Rush

It smacks of 'we havent had a celebrity win for a few years and no one remebers the last 3 or 4 that won it'. But what has Rush actually done to deserve it? If it goes to celebrity, give it to Cadel Evans for his achievements.

But yes, the Morcombes or Chris Riley should have been awarded it ahead of Rush. At least didn't nominate himself and he does look surprised he won.

Pretty much my thoughts, if you're going to give it to a celebrity at least give it to one who actually did something in the last year. About all Rush did for Australia was rename the AFIs the Ozcars and that's not so much award-worthy as revoking-citizenship-for-bad-puns-worthy.

Of course, it shouldn't just be an award for celebrities anyway.

Is that even a problem? Do we need a 50-50 split in every job/field?
Yes it is a big problem.

This isn't a competency issue (or some affirmative action bs) but one of participation rates. At various points over the last 2 decades there have been large skills shortages in certain engineering fields.

There is a massive pool of potentially highly competent female workers who are not taking up studies/careers in engineering.

No idea Chief - as I said, enlighten me.
It is your opinion so I don't see how I can enlighten you about it.

Unless, of course, you did an Abbott and made it up on the spur of the moment to make it sound like you know what you're talking about when you have next to no idea.

Its lazy. I can think of ten people who have worked selflessly in Junior Footy for thirty years without so much as a thank you or the grey army volunteers that go and help educate people in remote Aboriginal communities for **** all - these people are great Australians

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is your opinion so I don't see how I can enlighten you about it.

Unless, of course, you did an Abbott and made it up on the spur of the moment to make it sound like you know what you're talking about when you have next to no idea.

Chief, please.

The 100 years is a generalisation - its not a specific year. It really can't be that difficult to work out. What I meant was that the arts hasn't been used as a communication tool for a number of decades, centuries even.

Next time I will give the exact year and month, ie the year 1451 in the month of April. By the way Clay, that is an example.:rolleyes:

Anyway, I have asked you a number of times to enlighten me on how the arts is now used as a method of communication (your statement not mine).

If you have the answer, then I'm happy to hear it.

the most influential person in 2011 throughout this whole world was the man championing freedom of the press and transparent goverment.

he was never going to get it , was he?

You have no idea about a statement you made. Wow.

Okay - I want you to read my statement again (maybe do it a few times) and try and understand it.

If its troubling you, PM me and I will send you a picture - or a youtube clip.

the most influential person in 2011 throughout this whole world was the man championing freedom of the press and transparent goverment.

he was never going to get it , was he?

I don't think Rupert Murdoch is eligible any more. :D

Anyway, I have asked you a number of times to enlighten me on how the arts is now used as a method of communication (your statement not mine).

If you have the answer, then I'm happy to hear it.

The advertising industry.

/argument.

obama-hope-shelter-copy-500x752.jpg

The advertising industry.

/argument.
the Bonds pre Xmas ads, with that stupid Sarah Ohare, whats her maiden name, Sarah Murdoch, the cute peece of minge of Lachlan, well, they ripped off the sound from Magnetic Fields Stephen Merrit. Very unhappy camper, wont be listening to 69 Love Songs with the same joy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back