Premiership Player
Apr 7, 2006
Bendigo, Vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, 49ers
Yes it is a big problem.

This isn't a competency issue (or some affirmative action bs) but one of participation rates. At various points over the last 2 decades there have been large skills shortages in certain engineering fields.

There is a massive pool of potentially highly competent female workers who are not taking up studies/careers in engineering.

I imagine there would be a similar "crisis" for men in fashion design...

Barry_Badrinath

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2011
Bathing in Premiership Glory
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Grand Finals at the Gabba
Yes it is a big problem.

This isn't a competency issue (or some affirmative action bs) but one of participation rates. At various points over the last 2 decades there have been large skills shortages in certain engineering fields.

There is a massive pool of potentially highly competent female workers who are not taking up studies/careers in engineering.

Yeah there still is a shortage. I hadn't really considered that.

Sep 29, 2008
Between the lines.
AFL Club
West Coast
the most influential person in 2011 throughout this whole world was the man championing freedom of the press and transparent goverment.

he was never going to get it , was he?
Julian Assange would have been a winner that I would actually feel proud of.

I know vicarious pride (nationalism and such), is generally for the weak minded and insecure.

But I suppose it would have been cool if whomever judges the damn thing had suddenly developed (in this sole instance) a little more integrity and backbone and they had awarded it to him (or at least considered).

Sep 29, 2008
Between the lines.
AFL Club
West Coast
I imagine there would be a similar "crisis" for men in fashion design...
Fashion designers do not structurally design your office blocks, roadworks or bridges, manage sanitation, figure out how to dam lakes, reroute rivers or design water recycling plants. Nor oversee your off shore rigs, open cut mining operations and on it goes.

Facts are a great deal more people are/have been needed in many engineering fields and a huge segment of the population is not making themselves available for participation.

Anyone, especially an undergraduate, who works successfully and substantively towards changing this situation is pretty alright in my books.

Daytripper

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Oct 9, 2003
Reebok Stadium
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bolton,Clippers,Falcons,Mariners
I suppose DT doesn't listen to music ever? Or read books? Or watch TV? or go to the cinema? Or leave his house? :eek:

Right so the entire entertainment and advertising industry is now 'art'.
That's funny - I always thought of it as either light entertainment or media.

Those wonderful artists at Today Tonight should be so proud.

The real definition of 'art' died a long time ago. Its no longer relevant in this digital age.

Sep 16, 2006
ge
AFL Club
Fremantle
Right so the entire entertainment and advertising industry is now 'art'.
That's funny - I always thought of it as either light entertainment or media.

Those wonderful artists at Today Tonight should be so proud.

The real definition of 'art' died a long time ago. Its no longer relevant in this digital age.
Weak garbage. One of the most profitable companies in history focuses intensely on design and aesthetics and has its works feature in art galleries around the world (see MOMA). They also make phones, which are used to communicate.

Daytripper

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Oct 9, 2003
Reebok Stadium
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Weak garbage. One of the most profitable companies in history focuses intensely on design and aesthetics and has its works feature in art galleries around the world (see MOMA). They also make phones, which are used to communicate.

Sorry, will have to reply later Clay.

Watching an art show on Ch 7. Djokevic v Murray.

rayven

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 26, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PC racing
Someone shout tell daytripper about the CIA funding the arts industry for properganda purposes during the cold war in some demented attempt to make our civilisation look better than the soviets..

I'd hate to see his face when he finds out.

Daytripper

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Oct 9, 2003
Reebok Stadium
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Someone shout tell daytripper about the CIA funding the arts industry for properganda purposes during the cold war in some demented attempt to make our civilisation look better than the soviets..

I'd hate to see his face when he finds out.

Feel free.
I'll let you know I'm not one for conspiracy theories though.

The whole premise from what you've said above makes little sense anyway.

Daytripper

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Oct 9, 2003
Reebok Stadium
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Its a matter of public record...

Well, there you go. Shouldn't be too hard to produce then.

How its relevant to the debate that Chief and I were trying to have is beyond me but I'm happy to see what you've got. Just no youtube clips please.

Upton Sinclair

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think i've figured it out. DT is actually engaging in absurdist performance art. It's actually an utterly brilliant parody. It is the only rational reason I can fathom for him saying the things he has said.

Daytripper

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Oct 9, 2003
Reebok Stadium
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I think i've figured it out. DT is actually engaging in absurdist performance art. It's actually an utterly brilliant parody. It is the only rational reason i can fathom for him saying the things he has.

FFS, how difficult is this to understand.

I stated that art is no longer relevant. Chief then said its used as a communications tool. Fair enough, that's his opinion.

I then said it hasn't been relevant for 100 years. Unfortunately some posters took this literally, ie exactly 100 years. I was then absurdly asked to produce an exact date when most would deduce that the term '100 years' was used figuratively.

Now we have bit pattern jumping in.

Thread has officially gone to the shitehouse.

Donners

Cancelled
Ex-Moderator
Sep 1, 2002
AFL Club
Sydney
Watch out, Daytripper will go running to the mods.

Oh, I'm quite capable of reading threads on my own, thanks.

And you will find that similarly abusive posts will be dealt with the same, regardless of the target.

As for this thread, it seems to have bottomed out.

FFS, how difficult is this to understand.

I stated that art is no longer relevant. Chief then said its used as a communications tool. Fair enough, that's his opinion.

I then said it hasn't been relevant for 100 years.
You said it hasn't been used for communication for 100 years.

Either statement is absurd. Real face-palm stuff. Right in front of me!

Unfortunately some posters took this literally, ie exactly 100 years. I was then absurdly asked to produce an exact date when most would deduce that the term '100 years' was used figuratively.
Surely if you really do have this opinion, and you can get yourself out of jail free here by admitting to a troll and we'll talk no more about your glaring display of ignorance, you have an idea of when art STOPPED being a communication device. Or, when it became irrelevant to use your new description.

That was my question.

You then jumped from 100 years to "hundreds of years" and said you were really trying to ask ME the last time art WAS relevant.

Do I have this right?

Because when you dismiss centuries of art as 'irrelevant' you dismiss, to pick a name you might have picked up over the wireless at some time during your obviously culturally stunted life, Bob Dylan.

You dismiss Mark Twain.

You dismiss Charles Dickens - communicating about the plight of the poor and the working class.

Does Shakespeare come under your umbrella of 'irrelevant art'?

Does wartime propaganda and protest poetry?

You dismiss all the names you might have heard, and thousands of which you will never hear.

To widen the net, you dismiss the work of just about everyone as they work at their passion, striving to tell the world who they are through their work. An intricate tattoo. A restored vintage car.

Art is communication, Trippy. You are numb to its message so you ignorantly dismiss it as irrelevant.

Sorry if I sound pompous, but you best be quiet now or make yourself look an even bigger fool.

(Apologies Donners, but do you mind if I reopen the thread so DT can dig himself a deeper hole? Or should this strand go to a new thread?)

blackcat

Irving's godfather and handle
Dec 29, 2003
Beverly Hills 90210 Antifa bracket
AFL Club
Richmond
Julian Assange would have been a winner that I would actually feel proud of.

I know vicarious pride (nationalism and such), is generally for the weak minded and insecure.

But I suppose it would have been cool if whomever judges the damn thing had suddenly developed (in this sole instance) a little more integrity and backbone and they had awarded it to him (or at least considered).
walk past getrude st between lygon and swanston and there is a cctv and crimson light outside the sharehouse he used to inhabit. funky stuff.

Daytripper

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Oct 9, 2003
Reebok Stadium
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chief,
See your interpretation is different to mine.

Charles Dickens and Mark Twain were great and highly influential authors.
I don't classify what they did as art.

If we start going down that path then where does it stop?
Is Andrew Bolt an artist or is the Bible a work of art?

It becomes a bit silly after a while in my opinion

I prefer to think of art as being pictures (drawing and polaroid), sculptures etc. Some poetry I guess could be classified as art but seriously poetry as a communication form is basically non existent these days - save for Barmy Army and football chants.:D

I understand your POV though and get where you're coming from.

skilts

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Feb 14, 2002
South-West Gippsland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lexton, Northcote Park
Chief,
See your interpretation is different to mine.

Charles Dickens and Mark Twain were great and highly influential authors.
I don't classify what they did as art.

If we start going down that path then where does it stop?
Is Andrew Bolt an artist or is the Bible a work of art?

It becomes a bit silly after a while in my opinion

I prefer to think of art as being pictures (drawing and polaroid), sculptures etc. Some poetry I guess could be classified as art but seriously poetry as a communication form is basically non existent these days - save for Barmy Army and football chants.:D

I understand your POV though and get where you're coming from.

I truly feel sorry that you have endured such an existence. Your life will, inevitably, forever be devoid of meaning, because you are a cause that has never allowed itself the opportunity to be, much less be lost.

Daytripper

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Oct 9, 2003
Reebok Stadium
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I truly feel sorry that you have endured such an existence. Your life will, inevitably, forever be devoid of meaning, because you are a cause that has never allowed itself the opportunity to be, much less be lost.

My life's great skilts.
I've got two fantastic kids, a wife, a house and a job. That's what I'm focused on.

Would be better if the Bombers won a flag sometime soon though....

Back