Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Feb 19, 2004
Sunset Coast
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Subiaco
The WACA has steadfastly had nothing to do with contributing to a new stadium in Perth. In fact it went into it's shell and expoused in it's mediocricy principle and downsized it's arena.

Guess what. Now they're complaining that they can't cash in on the T20 craze. Now they want in on the new stadium.
Pffft. It's a bit like the Force when they couldn't decide where to play.
Anyway I hope this boosts the stadium along.
Is it too much to ask that cricket finally comes to the party ?

The WACA has steadfastly had nothing to do with contributing to a new stadium in Perth. In fact it went into it's shell and expoused in it's mediocricy principle and downsized it's arena.

Guess what. Now they're complaining that they can't cash in on the T20 craze. Now they want in on the new stadium.
Pffft. It's a bit like the Force when they couldn't decide where to play.
Anyway I hope this boosts the stadium along.
Is it too much to ask that cricket finally comes to the party ?

Isn't it the BBL complaining and not the WACA?

Any reason why they can't drop a pitch into subi?

It's the old north/south east/west orientation thing. The best position for the pitch in purely cricket terms would be wing-to-wing. But that makes for a funny shaped playing field. Would mean very short boundaries down the ground and massively long square boundaries.

Did anyone here go to the footy at the WACA?

My old man went to some Eagles games there. This was before Freo were in the competition (though he was only ever a South Freo fan before the Dockers existed) and said he preferred it to Subiaco.

I'm not a huge cricket fan, so I've not even been inside the WACA before. How does it compare to Subi?

My old man went to some Eagles games there. This was before Freo were in the competition (though he was only ever a South Freo fan before the Dockers existed) and said he preferred it to Subiaco.

I'm not a huge cricket fan, so I've not even been inside the WACA before. How does it compare to Subi?

Facilities wise it's slightly less bad.

The WACA has part of the 'village green' charm and of course has the WACA pitch which is a large part of the affection for the ground.

A drop in pitch would kill the WACA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't great. In the old days all the WACA members sat in the Prindiville Stand end, so they took up all the best seats. For the rest of the ground there was a bank of seating all the way around the boundary, they didn't have the large grass areas like they do now. The playing surface was quite a bit bigger. Also had a pronounced hump in the middle of the ground, so that if you were sitting on the fence and the ball was at the other end of the ground you sometimes couldn't see what was going on.

I saw a Western Reds game there once, so my parents say, I can't remember it. The reason why the Force didn't know where to play was that subi was a shithole and Perth Oval was too small because the government didn't keep there promise to upgrade it.

I saw a Western Reds game there once, so my parents say, I can't remember it. The reason why the Force didn't know where to play was that subi was a shithole and Perth Oval was too small because the government didn't keep there promise to upgrade it.

LOL, the reason the government didn't upgrade it is because the Force refused to sign a contract to play there. It was only a couple of years later after their crowds dropped when they went back to the government and said 'yeah, remember that upgrade? we'll have it now' only to be told that the money allocated back then has since been spent on something else.

Don't try and spin it as some sort of government lie, they were hardly going to upgrade it solely on the basis of Glory crowds of 7,000.

LOL, the reason the government didn't upgrade it is because the Force refused to sign a contract to play there. It was only a couple of years later after their crowds dropped when they went back to the government and said 'yeah, remember that upgrade? we'll have it now' only to be told that the money allocated back then has since been spent on something else.

Don't try and spin it as some sort of government lie, they were hardly going to upgrade it solely on the basis of Glory crowds of 7,000.

I actually didn't know that. I guess having 25,000 people sign up for membership in our first year came back to bight us in the arse.

That's the way I remember it.

And I remember the WACA as a collection of odd stands with a very low viewing angle on the embankments. Tremendous drainage though - absolute best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back