Number
Height 195cm
Weight 94Kg
DOB 17-12-1988
Debut 2007 Round 1 Vs Sydney
Games 94
Goals 14

Player Honours: NAB AFL Rising Star nominee 2009

Draft History: 2006 NAB AFL Draft 1st round selection (West Coast) No. 16 overall

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
7104710ed89f5e3a748497f8698f2a6c.jpg

2011 was a bit of a disaster for Brown, playing only 6 AFL games and struggling with a hand injury but he easily has the talent to be part of the best 22 for a whole season, if his body can stand up for him.

Brown played 6 WAFL league games in 2011, as a defender, averaging 17.3 touches and 4 marks. He also played 2 reserves games coming back from injury, where he average 22.5 touches.

Mitch would be looking forward to becoming the 82nd (or possible 83rd) Eagle to reach 50 games for the club. Currently he has 43 games to his name.

Not much information about Brown's pre-season is floating around but he doesn't seem to be training with the main group, he seems to have slimmed down (photo I saw on twitter recently) and he had his phone stolen in September, leading to a $92,000 bill.

You can follow his amazingly rare tweets @MitchJbrown17

P1010039.jpg

Mitch Brown's self portrait, influenced by Pablo Picasso.

Dec 25, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Looks like Mitch has had some setbacks with his pre-season and wont be available until late in the NAB cup. Hopefully it's nothing major and he's up and kicking arse shortly.

Defenders Beau Waters, Will Schofield and Mitch Brown did not take part in full training yesterday.

Club officials are expected to continue their cautious approach with both Waters (elbow) and Brown (shoulder/knee)...

Both he and Brown remain in the rehabilitation group and are not expected to play until late in the NAB Cup.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/12767384/kerr-puts-up-hand-for-early-action/

EDIT: Also, my understanding based on what I've read on twitter is that the $92,000 phone bill has been written off.

Prem87

Cancelled
10k Posts
Dec 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Looks like Mitch has had some setbacks with his pre-season and wont be available until late in the NAB cup. Hopefully it's nothing major and he's up and kicking arse shortly.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/12767384/kerr-puts-up-hand-for-early-action/

EDIT: Also, my understanding based on what I've read on twitter is that the $92,000 phone bill has been written off.

lol please explain the phone bill..

Sucks for Mitch, needs a good run injury free for a while to have a good go at it.

Dec 25, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
lol please explain the phone bill.

Mitch went to Europe this off-season and got his phone stolen.

When he got the bill for the month it was $92,000. Naitanui posted a picture of the bill on Twitter and it was the real deal.

A few weeks/months later Mitch said it was all taken care of.

On another note, I bothered Mitch on twitter yesterday by asking him how long until he's back at training. He replied very professionally with:

hey mate, just making sure everything's 100% b4 I tackle another season. So should be Up n running soon. Cheers

Much respect to him for being a cool enough guy to get back to his fans :thumbsu:

Dec 25, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Looks like Brown's preparation is still a little behind most but he's likely just lulling the rest of the league into a false sense of security.

Hopefully we see him in the 2nd round of the NAB cup.

Tall defenders Will Schofield, who had minor knee surgery in the off-season, and Mitch Brown (shoulder/knee) will also miss Sunday's matches but will play a part later in the Eagles' pre-season campaign.

"Schofield is training, so he's right to go this week, but he's one we'll weigh up again about best preparation," Worsfold said.

"Brown's a bit off still. He's still later NAB Cup games before he'll be ready, but he's back training."

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7155/newsid/128915/default.aspx

Dec 25, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
In further proof of Mitch being behind the pack with his shoulder and knee injuries, he hasn't been named for the first round of the NAB cup today and he wasn't involved in game simulations at training yesterday.

Dec 25, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
64. Mitchell Brown (Adelaide) – Twin brother of Nathan. Nathan found a niche at fullback after being an adequate FF. While Nathan was thriving Mitchell played ruck and CHF and showed a love for the argy-bargey and packs, earning comparisons to Cam Mooney as a mobile small ruckman. Not overly athletic by modern standards. Could well become a good fullback if given a trial (if Nathan can do it Mitchell probably can as well). Tough as nails – played some of his best football with concussion.

- Weever

BROWN, Nathan (10 COL) [30] and BROWN, Mitchell (16 WCE) [31]. I know this isn't fair and twins must hate it but I find insufficient differences between these twins to justify separate comments on each. Athletic improving late starters. Nathan significantly the better in '05 but IMHO Mitch caught up in '06. Determined, ultra-committed (excellent ethic, on and off-field, and will get the absolute most out of themselves) talls. Strong, mobile, competitive. Thumping kicks. Pace queries in '05 but both improved it in '06 and now have nice running styles. Similar "handy", sometimes "good", pace (Mitch quicker than his DC times suggest, Nathan not as quick as his DC times suggest), although lack some zip off the mark. Sometimes quick thinking / creative but not consistently good poise, vision or decision-making. Attack man and ball, have the 1%ers covered. Can certainly take some strong grabs but marking hands, judgement and ability to hold their ground / keep their feet are not particularly reliable. Neither (particularly Nathan) has a good tackle count. (eg Nathan was credited with no tackles in 3 U18 Champs games). In fairness, they do a lot of spoiling but, tackling-wise, they are susceptible to being wrong-footed by a slippery opponent. I believe best role for both will be key defender (perhaps FB). I don't foresee either twin getting particularly impressive stats but they play a team game, give their all, run hard both ways, are accountable, and have high pain threshold. I'd like to see them be proactive more often (which will probably eventuate). Forced to call, I'm confident both will play AFL games, I suspect both will be on AFL lists for some years (mainly because they will leave no stone unturned) but I shall be very surprised if either turns out to be A-grade AFL, although not surprised if both turn out to be solid indians or at least good backup. Depending on need and options, I'd have been prepared to draft either of them but with a pick certainly no earlier than where I ranked them, which is not as early as they were likely to go.

- Colin Wiseby

19 - CARLTON - MITCHELL BROWN
North Ballarat Rebels, 17 December 1988, 193.3cm, 89.8kg

Like his twin Nathan, Mitchell Brown is also a leading contender in this year's talent pool and he will be right in the top 25 mix. He has attracted interest from a number of clubs, including Carlton, Brisbane Lions and Geelong. Carlton could also consider using this pick for its ruck option - Renouf, Hampson or Tippett - depending on how the cards fall earlier.

Highlights/achievements: Twin to Nathan who plays well at either end of the ground and is a right footer. Like his brother has an elite basketball background. A beep test of 14.1 at the NAB AFL Draft Camp showed great aerobic capacity for a Tall Forward. Brave overhead, wins plenty of contested possession and is a good finisher near goal. From Ballarat F.C.

- Matt Burgan

39. Port – Mitchell Brown
Very much an old-fashioned type KPP; big-bodied, with a lack of mobility who loves the physical side to the game. Demands the footy when played up forward and while not all that classy, will create many chances for his crumbing forwards. Is versatile enough to play anywhere down the spine and tbh I’m not sure which position suits him more, as I think he’d make a pretty good FF or FB. Hard to say where he’ll end up, but Port have shown they’re not afraid the take big-bodied players in the draft (some clubs go out of their way not to pick these types of players). Does tend to be the type of player that can slide right through to the rookie draft, although I think he’s shown enough to prevent that from happening.

- Macca69

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 25, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
A few tweets from Mitch recently which are worth posting. Firstly, Mitch breaking news on E-mac:

All the @WestCoastEagles fans out there big easy is ok... Great smother

Jakovic cited Browns twitter as his source on the foxtel telecast on Saturday.

Secondly, when asked if he was playing against the Saints Mitch responded with:

not playing tonight unfortunately, not far off tho... Should be a good game 2nite.. 2 good sides in

Glad to find that he's not far off. :thumbsu:

Aug 1, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Good work with the twitter, especially with the mckenzie scoop. This brown injury is starting to get pretty mysterious the club hasn't talked about it at all and there hasn't been any word about brown going around. Its strangely quiet. Hopefully nothing too serious.

Incidentally not being a big twitter guy myself you wouldn't happen to know if Embley has an official twitter page would you Jimmy?

Dec 25, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Okay, so it seems that Mitch has gotten himself into some hot water in a WAFL practise match yesterday. The allegation is that he broke the jaw of Mason Shaw behind the play.

This article sums up basically everything that is known, including the twitter treats from Toby McGrath and Cory Dell'Olio.

Dec 25, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Insufficient evidence means that Brown has no case to answer but, of course, I think most people who have followed Brown's career would be thinking it was probably just an accident anyway.

Also, I read somewhere that Brown played forward in the WAFL practice match on the weekend, so he's very lucky to not be suspended since he has a decent chance of getting a game as Kennedy's replacement, IMO.

At this stage, there's far more room for a tall forward than a tall defender and you would think that Brown could find himself in front of Lycett and McIness just due to being more seasoned. He really can't afford to let this chance slip though, even if it's just for a few games until Kennedy is back in the fold.

Dec 25, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Mitch Brown has been named at full back for East Fremantle's match against Claremont this Saturday.

He'll likely line up on former North Melbourne and West Coast player Chad Jones or West Coast team mate, Jeremy McGovern. While Fremantle's Alex Silvagni is another tall player named in the forward line for Claremont, he would be expected to play in defence for the Tigers.

Chad Jones kicked 4 goals last week bringing his season tally to 6. That's good for equal 2nd leading goal kicker in the WAFL after 2 rounds.

Mitch would be hoping to keep Jones relatively quiet to catch the attention of West Coast selectors. I would imagine there aren't many bigger scalps for a WAFL defender than Chad Jones these days.

Best of luck Mitch. Stay out of trouble*.

* Except maybe Medhurst.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back