Status
Not open for further replies.

Jivin Jackel

Team Captain
Sep 19, 2009
Essendon
AFL Club
Essendon
I was having a debate with a Geelong supporter the other day talking about the Swans and Adam Goodes. I made a comment saying Goodes would be Geelong's best player if he played for them. He completely disagreed and laughted it off. I was just wondering what people thought here about it. Would Goodes be geelong's best player if he played with them at this stage of his career?

HyperAgressiveDonk

Cancelled
Aug 6, 2008
Red Moon
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
City Middle & Angela Surf City
Selwood, Johnson, Scarlett and Bartel are all better players than Goodes so the answers is NO

Scarlett is the only player on this list that has any kind of claim to being as good as Goodes over his career. Johnson isn't in the same ballpark and never has been. Bartel likewise. Selwood is a class A player and is on Goodes level the last few years.

Scarlett, Goodes >> Selwood >>> Johnson, Bartel

Scarlett is the only player on this list that has any kind of claim to being as good as Goodes over his career. Johnson isn't in the same ballpark and never has been. Bartel likewise. Selwood is a class A player and is on Goodes level the last few years.

Scarlett, Goodes >> Selwood >>> Johnson, Bartel

I'm not talking about over their career.

Line ball because Goods is getting on a bit and may start to slow down a little. At his best only Ablett would have challenged him for the title - two of the most deserving Brownlow winners in recent years. I voted yes because at his best, which he was still achieving last year, he is a clear match winner that can lift the entire team for whole games at a time, and multiple times a year. Hard to assess that quality in a Geelong team that's had such consistent and even performances across the park for so long.

HyperAgressiveDonk

Cancelled
Aug 6, 2008
Red Moon
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
City Middle & Angela Surf City
I'm not talking about over their career.

With the exceptions of a few finals and big games, Bartel has been average since his last All Australian season in 2008. Goodes was one of the favourites for the Brownlow and widely regarded as one of the top players in 2011, he was clearly better than Bartel last year. Steve Johnson was very good in 2011, but was not as good as Goodes.

MikesTop50

Draftee
Suspended
Feb 25, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
With the exceptions of a few finals and big games, Bartel has been average since his last All Australian season in 2008. Goodes was one of the favourites for the Brownlow and widely regarded as one of the top players in 2011, he was clearly better than Bartel last year. Steve Johnson was very good in 2011, but was not as good as Goodes.

Goodes would also be Hawks best player, going off that theory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bartel hasn't been average he's been exceptional at playing a specific role. Bartel's role within the team changed since the beginning of 09, and certain people look at total possessions at the end of the game to determine if they've played well, which show their lack of real knowledge and that's your perspective.
Regarding Goodes people rate him as elite because of his athleticism and capabilities. He has mediocre vision, fumbles an aweful lot, is inconsistant, and has average awareness. Now before you counter with his Brownlow medals(Which i don't rate, and is another story)etc, i think he's a little overated and would rather Bartel, Johnson, Selwood and Scarlett any day of the week.
In a current age in which Dreamteam/supercoach is so popular, people tend to judge a players worth according to these stats. Fools they are.

That's only my opinion though and your quite rightly entitled to yours.

You've just described one of the best players over the last 20 years as an average battler. :eek:

I'm not saying he is an average battler and it might be interpreted as such, but i just don't think he's as good as it is made to believe.
If you think he's one of the best players over the last 20 yrs then that's good for you.
He has played some exceptional games i'll give him that, but they just don't happen often enough to be put in that bracket.

I'm not saying he is an average battler and it might be interpreted as such, but i just don't think he's as good as it is made to believe.
If you think he's one of the best players over the last 20 yrs then that's good for you.
He has played some exceptional games i'll give him that, but they just don't happen often enough to be put in that bracket.

Don't honestly think you can have watched many Sydney games then. Goods is incredibly consistent. I'd suggest he is very occasionally average, mostly great, and often brilliant.

And he performs in finals.

Claude Balls

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
I agree with Donk that only Scarlett can rival Goodes in overall career terms. The likes of Bartel, Chappy, SJ, even Selwood at this incomplete stage of his career, are all a rung below. That's not to say they aren't guns and haven't filled the bill of A-grader at various times throughout their respective careers, just that Goodes occupies that slightly rarer space (duel brownlow etc). Ablett Jr will finish ahead of Goodes, and would probably even go down in history as a greater player already, if he suddenly pulled the pin this year, but he ain't a Cat anymore.

Don't honestly think you can have watched many Sydney games then. Goods is incredibly consistent. I'd suggest he is very occasionally average, mostly great, and often brilliant.

And he performs in finals.

I've watched Goodes play probably 90% of his career games.

Only my opinion though as everybody is entitled to theirs.

I'm not saying he isn't a very good player, just not a great.

MF

Good Poster, s**t Bloke
Sep 10, 2006
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Goodes' 2011 was better than any of Geelong's best could muster so on current form you'd have to say he'd be their best player.

DTShowtime

All Australian
Suspended
Jun 9, 2011
Kew
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
UB.
Goodes would be even better player in a superior team. You put a Selwood or Bartel in Sydney's current lineup and I doubt they would influence games like Goodes does now.

bobbycatsfanme

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2010
Mornington
AFL Club
Geelong
Goodes would be even better player in a superior team. You put a Selwood or Bartel in Sydney's current lineup and I doubt they would influence games like Goodes does now.

Selwood is one of the best players in the game today and if you really don't think he'd influence that' Sydney team, how do you explain his grand final performance against the best team of the year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back