Has Kruezer been terribly disappointing?

OnceWeWereKings

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Most AFL players take 4 to 6 years to establish themselves as stars of the competition.
The Selwoods and Judds are the exception not the rule.
Gary Ablett Jr. whom most rate the best if not equal best player in the league took 5 seasons to establish himself as a star.
Of the young crop, players like Pendlebury and Murphy are heading into their sixth season.
Has showed the signs that he could be a dominant big man in the AFL, if that takes another couple of seasons, I'm happy with that.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
50 goals a season not quite enough for a small forward?
Keep the ball rolling and lets throw in Yarran vs Alwyn Davey.

That's a lopsided comparison, Yarran smashes Alwyn's arse every day of the week just like Kreuzer smashes Hille's and Bellcho's arse.

Froggy better have a good year or he's gone.

He's not even a walk up starter.

Back to the thread subject, I am a huge fan of Humphrey B Kreuzer and find him nowhere near overrated.

He is high quality.

SirJimi05

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool fc
Just to clarify, I meant if you compared all 3 after each had completed 3 seasons.

4evablues

Club Legend
Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Carlton
We have to have faith in him....we know what he is capable of. Confidence plays a vital role and hope he has a huge one this year.

Faith is what we have, so hope he can fulfil his potential!

Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
Bit harsh the comparison. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:.

Kreuzer will never fall down the same pott hole as Scott Gumbleton.

Hirdy should've given Gumby the arse at the end of 2010.

Yet you'll be cracking the shits if Hurley doesn't "show enough loyalty" and remain at Essendon rather than go to GWS. Loyalty is a two way street.

Gumby will probably not become the gun he would have with a clear run at it but may still have a chance to fill a role on our list over the next 8 years.

Also are you privy to better medical advice about Gumby's back than the club is?

Thread's a tad disappointing but I guess you get used to that on BigFooty.

I'm stunned some people seem to be putting him down on the fact he isn't dominating every game...yet he hasn't even turned 23/24 yet as a 200cm ruckman.

Carlton supporters absolutely love Kreuzer not because they think he's a 200cm Wayne Carey...but rather that he at least has a constant positive impact on our midfield, he's loyal and will always give you 100%. He might not be the most flashiest or lightning quick player around (he doesn't have a particularly great leap either), but he does have very good talent, and most of all he works as hard as anyone on field and off it and is just a great bloke.

He does have the potential to be a superstar in years to come but even if not, we're sure he'll give great service for many years and he's the type that will inspire his teammates around him. Very happy to have him.

Hump 17

Club Legend
Suspended
Jun 28, 2010
Yarra Valley
AFL Club
St Kilda
Thread's a tad disappointing but I guess you get used to that on BigFooty.

I'm stunned some people seem to be putting him down on the fact he isn't dominating every game...yet he hasn't even turned 23/24 yet as a 200cm ruckman.

Carlton supporters absolutely love Kreuzer not because they think he's a 200cm Wayne Carey...but rather that he at least has a constant positive impact on our midfield, he's loyal and will always give you 100%. He might not be the most flashiest or lightning quick player around (he doesn't have a particularly great leap either), but he does have very good talent, and most of all he works as hard as anyone on field and off it and is just a great bloke.

He does have the potential to be a superstar in years to come but even if not, we're sure he'll give great service for many years and he's the type that will inspire his teammates around him. Very happy to have him.

Not on your own there with your amazment at the doubters of Kruezer. Rhys Stanley cops it with people suggesting hes finished. The blokes 200+ has proven pace and has finally tipped 100kg. The blokes basically need to learn to run and play again while at the same time put on bilk and keep speed and endurance.

Not on your own there with your amazment at the doubters of Kruezer. Rhys Stanley cops it with people suggesting hes finished. The blokes 200+ has proven pace and has finally tipped 100kg. The blokes basically need to learn to run and play again while at the same time put on bilk and keep speed and endurance.

WTF :eek:

Didn't he only come into the comp a couple years ago? I thought he showed some pretty nice signs with what limited play I'd seen.

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Most AFL players take 4 to 6 years to establish themselves as stars of the competition.
The Selwoods and Judds are the exception not the rule.
Gary Ablett Jr. whom most rate the best if not equal best player in the league took 5 seasons to establish himself as a star.
Of the young crop, players like Pendlebury and Murphy are heading into their sixth season.
Has showed the signs that he could be a dominant big man in the AFL, if that takes another couple of seasons, I'm happy with that.

This is exactly what most people should know. It's a shame it has to be pointed out. You look at other ruckman in the game...as others clarified on my post, cox and sandilands didn't start afl until they were 20. Zac Smith is only 6 months younger than Kreuzer and Nic Nat is a year younger. Kreuzer started very early on for a big man, and has been anything but a disappointment. Looking forward to watching him grow.

Aug 16, 2006
My house
AFL Club
Essendon
OK, I'll expand.
He's played a handful.
He did nothing in any of them, but agree he did demonstrate that he can run fast.
He got dropped when Kosi returned to fitness.

I agree with you that he needs to learn to play.

Feb 13, 2004
Vic
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
The Mongrel Punt
Original Poster is a bit harsh. I think this will be the year Kruezer really shows what he is capable of. When a guy that size does a knee, it is a long way back. He was almost there last year, and with another pre-season under his belt, he should be ready to do what Carlton always knew he could.

juzz_e

All Australian
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Clippers, A's
To all the Kruezer is a mediocre forward people, yeah he isn't a natural forward but he wasn't played there to be the big option, he was played there due to concerns over his fitness coming back from injury. Injuries to Waite, Jamison (Forcing Hendo back) and Hampson probably meant the experiment went further then planed though

In 2010 Kruezer was easily in the top 5 rucks before his injuries. Was No. 1 for Marks if I remember correctly, and is one of the more mobile rucks going around. Add to that the kid played as the number 1 ruck from his very first game until his injury, Nic Nat has at least got protection from the best ruck of the generation..

Some of you are being way too harsh. When have you ever seen a ruckman take the game by the scruff at 22?!

Dean Cox's first 4 years: 851 disp, 311 marks, 24 goals, 1335 hit outs

Kreuzer: 814 disp, 188 marks, 38 goals, 964 hitouts

Sandilands: 764 disp, 287 marks, 20 goals, 1756 (holy ****!!!)

Point is, not only does it take a while for ruckmen to get into, but every ruckman/big man plays a different style of game. Those stats are very comparable especially when you consider Kreuzer's ACL injury.

Kruezer is an exciting talent and Carlton fans have a lot to look forward to. I would expect him to be very good in 2012. However ,at the risk of being seen as inflammatory, Josh Fraser is the most obvious comparison for Kruezer.

Both No 1 draft picks, both started their careers with a big spruik and looked very able in their 1st seasons. Had no problem in immediately adapting to the pace of the game and became fixtures in their teams from round 1 as 18 y o's. Played 42 and 43 games respectively in their 1st 2 seasons. Both are slightly undersized ruckmen whose ruckwork isn't the biggest feature of their game. Both are capable of going forward and kicking goals. Both have as their biggest strength their ability to play the role of follower and are great below their knees and finding the ball.

Frasers figures in his 1st 4 seasons were (a time where disposals no's were significantly less overall)

Disposals 1141, Marks 356, Goals 83, Hitouts 765

Had Kruezer played a full ist 4 seasons he most likely would have had an even more similar picture to Fraser in disposals etc

He is a better ruckman than Fraser ever was but the injuries and wear and tear that bought Fraser down in the 2nd half of his career muddies the memory of just how good a young ruckman/follower he was. Carrying Collingwoods rucks from v early and being undersized cut his career down from what it could have been with better management

Thats the lesson for Carlton to learn. They have a great ruck brigade but Kruezer is the gem. I would be looking to use Warnock and Hampson in roles that will protect Kruezer to some degree and allow him to exploit his huge upside as a follower. Exactly what Collingwood would have been better off doing with Fraser

Tony Shaw last night referred to Kruezer as a "taller Adam Goodes" :eek:
I fail to see the similarities...

Then you fail.

Krezuer is not quite as mobile as Goodes, with the extra 6 cms. having something to do with that, but he is a very mobile ruckman that will cover a lot of ground through the course of the game.
Will be playing a lot more ruck-rover type role this year.

Back