BOS:Celtics/Patriots/Bruins/Red Sox
NAB Cup round 2
Hawthorn Hawks vs GWS Giants
Aurora Stadium
3:40pm, Saturday 3 Mar 2012

TV: Live on Fox Footy

Teams:
GWS
1. Phil Davis, 3. Stephen Coniglio, 4. Israel Folau, 7. Rhys Palmer, 9. Tom Scully, 13. Sam Darley, 15. Tim Golds, 16. Nathan Wilson, 18. Jeremy Cameron, 19. Nick Haynes, 20. Adam Tomlinson, 22. Shaun Edwards, 24. Steve Clifton, 25. Anthony Miles, 26. Jonathan Giles, 27. Andrew Phillips, 28. Liam Sumner. 29. Dom Tyson, 31. Jacob Townsend, 32. Gerald Ugle, 33. Will Hoskin-Elliott, 34. Devon Smith, 35. Toby Greene, 38. James McDonald, 39. Tim Mohr, 40. Adam Kennedy, 44. Tom Downie, 47. Josh Bruce, 48. Sam Frost

HAWTHORN
4. Matt Suckling, 6. Josh Gibson, 7. Michael Osborne, 8. Xavier Ellis, 9. Shaun Burgoyne, 10. Chance Bateman, 11. Clinton Young, 13. Kyle Cheney, 14. Grant Birchall, 15. Luke Hodge, 16. Isaac Smith, 17. Cameron Bruce, 18. Brent Guerra, 19. Jack Gunston, 20. David Hale, 21. Shane Savage, 22. Luke Breust, 25. Ryan Schoenmakers, 29. Tom Murphy, 31. Jarrad Boumann, 32. Bradley Hill, 35. Sam Grimley, 36. Alex Woodward, 37. Brendan Whitecross, 39. Max Bailey, 42. Angus Litherland, 43. Amos Frank, 45. Tom Schneider, 46. Derick Wanganeen

I'm looking forward to seeing who's named for each side after the Giants put up a relatively strong effort in round 1; hoping to see a bit more of the experienced guys after being rested against Collingwood.

Scully2Folau,

I dont - the more minutes they play in the preseason, the higher the odds of an injury.

Im utterly content that, as of round one, Chad Cornes can play as a loose man in defense, Dean Brogan in the ruck, Luke Power as a small forward and James McDonald as a tagger in the center.

Now, theres an argument for o'hAilpin to be at CHF and Davis at CHB, and for Scully, Palmer and Coniglio to learn how to work together ... but the Geriatrics With Scully can concentrate on being assistant coaches from the box, and watching for what mistakes the kids are making that they can help fix when we're playing for points.

Yeah I probably should qualified that as 'experienced' meaning the likes of Ward, Palmer and Scully (pending injury management) haha I did like the look of the older guys in the first NAB hitout and what I read of the intra, so as you say I'm content that they can fill their roles come round 1.

It's an interesting question of strategy. It's preseason, do you give everyone a run to see what they can do, how they handle the pressure etc etc or do you start trying to really gel the combinations that you'll be using when it actually matters. Will that give too much away?

You don't want to get smacked by hawthorn, but you still need to look at a few things.

I'm just interested to see which way we go and how, whoever plays, they perform.

I hope Hawks do go with a young side and maybe GWS can get a win for confidence. Just to get that winning feeling after losing 2 very close games.

As Sunny mentioned, Power out with hamstring injury - out for remainder of NAB Cup, hopeful for round one.

Also in the article: Dylan Shiel and Adam Treloar are both around a fortnight away from returning to the side.

Hamstring unplugs Power

NAB Cup debuts for 2011 #4 pick Will Hoskin-Elliot, #11 pick Toby Greene, pre-listed player Adam Kennedy and 2011 rookie selection Sam Frost.

Hmm, something like this? Its tough to put it together, no idea about the backline or forward line.

B: Darley--- Mohr --- Bruce
HB: Tomlinson -- Davis -- Townsend
C: McDonald -- Scully -- Coniglio
HF: Smith --Cameron -- Hoskin-Elliot
F: Sumner -- Folau -- Ugle
R : Giles -- Palmer -- Tyson

Completely missed that Ward has not been named. Still not familiar with the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am enjoying watching you guys today. I think you have the makings of a terrific team/brand. I think you've done really well choosing your name, colours, team song etc and i feel like it has the makings of a strong future. I really hope so.

Falao looks really promising also. Exciting times ahead for Western Sydney.

I am enjoying watching you guys today. I think you have the makings of a terrific team/brand. I think you've done really well choosing your name, colours, team song etc and i feel like it has the makings of a strong future. I really hope so.

Falao looks really promising also. Exciting times ahead for Western Sydney.

You mean Greater Western Sydney ;)

Agree with your post, especially love watching Falao (and Hunt for that matter) go about it...

Speaking of Izzy, if you want a laugh, head on over to the Hawks matchday thread where a whole host of Izzy-haters who can't admit they were wrong about him (and again, Hunt too) are making absolute Gooses of themselves :rolleyes:

Good signs today for my Hawks, but some very promising signs for your young mob too :thumbsu:

You mean Greater Western Sydney ;)

Agree with your post, especially love watching Falao (and Hunt for that matter) go about it...

Speaking of Izzy, if you want a laugh, head on over to the Hawks matchday thread where a whole host of Izzy-haters who can't admit they were wrong about him (and again, Hunt too) are making absolute Gooses of themselves :rolleyes:

Good signs today for my Hawks, but some very promising signs for your young mob too :thumbsu:

Yeah. You'd think Hawks supporters would know about the value of a big KPF who can take contested grabs ...

And given the negative press Izzy got after his first hit-out this year what's the bet that there is not one single bit of positive press when he shows something. That said this year will be a learning experience for Izzy and he will have lots of ups and downs I just hope that its not a case of everytime Izzy has a poor game the press goes after him, while when he a good game the media goes completely silent.

And given the negative press Izzy got after his first hit-out this year what's the bet that there is not one single bit of positive press when he shows something. That said this how year will be a learning experience for Izzy and he will have lots of ups and downs I just hope that its not a case of everytime Izzy has a poor game the press goes after him, while when he a good game the media goes completely silent.

I agree. He's gonna be a good player once he gets some gametime and I hope he gets some credit .

And given the negative press Izzy got after his first hit-out this year what's the bet that there is not one single bit of positive press when he shows something. That said this year will be a learning experience for Izzy and he will have lots of ups and downs I just hope that its not a case of everytime Izzy has a poor game the press goes after him, while when he a good game the media goes completely silent.

This article in the smh is positive and well balanced:

http://m.smh.com.au/afl/afl-match-r...awks-run-riot-over-giants-20120303-1u9qz.html

The match reviewers on Fox sports were full of full of praise for Izzys performace and rightly so. He really showed something against the Hawks. The cheers from my boys when he kicked his goal were priceless.

I thought the defence was caught ball watching a few times but they will leaarn plenty from that game.

go the G-men

Watching the replay now as I had to work over the weekend. Lots of little mistakes, but lots of run and good effort. Fatigued a bit early but some promising signs.

I only managed to catch the second quarter of the game in Sunday's replay on Fox Footy.

The standouts in the little time I saw were the leadup to Wilson's second goal (Giles, Coniglio, Cameron, Palmer) and a period from Scully where he picked up a bunch of quality touches.

For mine, the skills/talent and potential were definitely there, while obviously lacking polish. They did look a bit gassed in the second quarter but the effort didn't stop and I think that's the key in this inaugural season.

No doubt it'll be replayed again during the week so hopefully I'll have time to watch the whole game and get more of an idea of where they're at.

I watched a fair bit of that game..
I have to say the young Giants are showing some very good signs.

The best thing though is that it's done, you know.. The first full-length (or near enough to) game against an AFL opponent. Obviously there were a lot of mistakes, and watching and reviewing such incidents with the coaches is going to help the individual players make better decisions next time.. It's also going to highlight the importance of communication, and if the Giants learn the lessons from that loss they'll be much better prepared going into the next game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back