2012 Western Australian Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
I've already started a thread for the South Australians, so I thought I might as well get one going for those over in the west - because we all know, the best players come from these states. :)

Again, they are in alphabetical order and I've done a brief write up. Some I've seen more of than others, but I know we have a few draft watchers from WA around the place. So maybe they can give some more opinions, or some more names as I'm sure I've missed some.

Jamahl Bedford - 180cm, Claremont

If there is one thing that the AFL is missing, it's someone called Jamahl. Not one I've seen a lot of, but he came along in the second half of the year to feature in the finals. Midfielder/half forward, with a good attack and burst away from the packs. He'll be an interesting one to follow.

Adam Carter - 179cm, South Fremantle

One of the more unheralded prospects out of WA, although good athletically, he isn't as flashy as the others but he is the type of player you want in your team. Could a Conca type who just goes about his business. Has shown good signs as a defender, but should step up into the midfield for WA this year and he'll benefit from being the main guy. Can really win the ball, and is a very strong tackler.

Corey Chalmers - 180cm, West Perth

Midfielder who has performed well over the last couple of years, averaged over 20 disposals a game in the Colts. He averaged over 2 shots on goal a game, which is really important as otherwise he may be overlooked as more of just a hard working type and nothing else like Shane Nelson.

Brant Colledge - 192cm, Perth

Hockey, cricket and now football. Colledge could well be one of the better KPPs for WA this year, and there is quite a lot to like about his game. I think his best football is played at CHF, where he can work his way up the field as well as being a big target. Only played 7 games in the Colts last year, but in his last two he averaged 28 disposals and 15 marks. Not bad.

Dayle Garlett - 181cm, Swan Districts

There aren't any questions over Garlett's talent, but there are other factors which could see him slide - he was left out of the AIS squad for a reason. He has probably been one of the first picked over the years, from U16s to U18s as an underage player to Colts and seniors in the WAFL. Garlett is more than just a medium forward, he consistently wins his own ball in the midfield and marks well. Hopefully he puts in the work this year.

Riley Hutchinson - 188cm, East Perth

Medium/tall defender, who played in the U18s last year. He was quite impressive last year even though he tended to take more of a KPD role for WA. But he can also be used as more of an attacking option, so hopefully he gets more of a chance to show that side to his game this year. Could be another Blayne Wilson type, who suffers from a lack of height around him though.

Sean Lynch - 185cm, South Fremantle

Highly touted player is Lynch, attacking defender who can push up into the midfield. I'd expect him to be a key player for WA this year. Very nice speed and he knows that it's his main weapon, so looks to use it whenever possible. Throw in a great kick, and he shouldn't have to wait too long to get drafted.

Kamdyn McIntosh - 193cm, Peel

McIntosh is a bit like Hutchinson, except that he has the extra height to really play as a KPP. Has shown potential with the ball in hands, I'm hoping he has the extra responsibility of playing on the opposition key forwards this season. McInnes last year, McIntosh this one?

Shaquille McKenzie - 174cm, East Perth

The best name without a doubt, and a very nice player on top of that. How small is too small will probably be the question, but he has already played 8 senior games in the WAFL. There will always be a spot for a guy with his speed, tackling pressure and just general feel for the game though.

Mason Shaw - 197cm, South Fremantle

Probably one of the most well known prospects out of WA this year, largely due to to his size in what is at this stage more of a midfielder's draft. Still relatively new to AFL compared to most draftees, so hopefully that means lots more development. He is a strong mark and good kick, and finished with 74 goals in 21 Colts games last year. How he goes in the U18 Championships this year will tell a lot.

Josh Simpson - 181cm, East Fremantle

After playing in SA last year, Simpson moved back to WA for this season and I'm led to believe East Fremantle were just as interested in getting him back, and Simpson was to get back. At this stage, there are other similar players with bigger profiles but he is the one I like. You can just tell he is a natural footballer, as opposed to being a quick kid who can play too. Has excellent skills on both sides of his body, and goes in as hard as anyone. Has already been named in the WA state academy for this season.

Chase Strange - 178cm, Peel

More than just an amazing name. Not the biggest guy going around, but he has always had a home in the midfield. Good speed and agility, the kid just works and works. If he can really dominate the possession count, he could do well given his intangibles.

Shannon Taylor - 177cm, Claremont

Unlike a Garlett or Simpson, Taylor is more of a half forward than midfielder. But his stints in the midfield have been just that - stints. At the moment he is lacking the size to be a real option in the midfield, so that should be his focus this season. He has pretty much everything else you could possibly want - elite speed, agility, skills and clean hands. He'll be an interesting one to judge this year, as talent or commitment wont be the reason if he drops.

Brendan Verrier - 186cm, South Fremantle

Younger brother of the Richmond rookie, I imagine Brendan will be a bit more highly sought after this year. While his brother was more of a defender, Brendan is a ball magnet in the middle. Still a blue collar type player, but he has strong hands and always attacks the ball hard.

Marvin Warrell - sub 180cm, South Fremantle

There are always a few players in the WAFL like this - the quick, little, silky smooth forward pocket. They might not always get picked up, especially considering others may have more midfield ability. But Warrell could benefit from the recent love of these types of players.

Laine Wilkins - 190cm, Peel

Possibly one of the more interesting players out of WA this year. He is a very nice sized midfielder, more of an outside running type who can also go forward. I'm hoping he gets to keep running through the midfield this year, and rests up forward as opposed to the other way around. Quite a few similar style players have gone first round the last couple of years, and Wilkins has the skills to do the same.

Chris Yarran - 183cm, Perth

A bit different to his namesake at Carlton, Yarran isn't the greatest runner going around and probably tends to stay at home in the forward 50 more than some of the other medium forwards. He is however bigger and stronger than those players at the moment. He does have excellent skills, and can kick 5 goals from just 5 kicks. So even in a slow game, he can still have a real impact.

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The way the four big name medium forwards go this year will probably be one of the more interesting stories to the draft. Garlett, Taylor, Simpson and Yarran will make for an exciting WA team in the U18 Championships, just who shines the most could shape the first two rounds. I would rate them as...

1. Dayle Garlett
2. Josh Simpson
3. Shannon Taylor
4. Chris Yarran

But, Garlett could drop quite some way if early signs are anything to go by. So I wouldn't think he is a guaranteed early selection, the rookie draft might not be out of the equation - for all four actually, depending on how much they progress this year.

Overall from WA, if I had to go for a top 5, I'd be looking at...

1. Laine Wilkins
2. Mason Shaw
3. Sean Lynch
4. Dayle Garlett
5. Kamdyn McIntosh

kayliesharks

All Australian
Jun 12, 2011
East Fremantle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
East Fremantle:

Top prospects:

Josh Simpson
See above

Jordan Dorotich
Son of Jon, possible last round F/S for Carlton. Small defender who plays tall, loves to go for a run. I'd rookie at most. EF Colts can expect a wooden spoon this year.

Roughie(s): Cameron Symonds
A year in the reserves/league team could be good for this young ruckman. WA U/18 Squad Member 2011.

Tyler Chalwell
See BigFooty Bandwagon

Jack Perham
A good year in the league team could see a rookie spot at WCE or Fremantle

Jayden Schofield
Ready made AFL footballer. Homesickness a problem, WCE or Fremantle to pick up in 2013?

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WA always have a few mature aged types, but I thought I'd stick with just the new names for now. If I had to go with two 19 year olds, I would have put in Dorotich and Dale Wallam.

Jordan Dorotich would hold some interest, obvioulsy he decided against nominating for the draft last year. So this will be his first attempt at getting drafted, assuming he nominates this time around. Not sure Carlton would F/S him, as I'm sure Blues fans would think the last thing they need is another 190cm half back. Although he was promising when he ran through the middle - and that's what he needs to do this year, become a big bodied midfielder.

I remember when I was doing my drafts last year, I was deciding between which one of Callum Papertalk and Dale Wallam I would pick. I tended to go for Papertalk, as I thought Wallam would really benefit from another season in the Colts. Indigenous kid who came down the country to play 3 Colts games last year, he is about 188cm and has excellent speed. Just needs to become more consistent, but I hope he is rookie listed this time around.

East Fremantle:

Top prospects:

Josh Simpson
See above

Jordan Dorotich
Son of Jon, possible last round F/S for Carlton. Small defender who plays tall, loves to go for a run. I'd rookie at most. EF Colts can expect a wooden spoon this year.

Roughie(s): Cameron Symonds
A year in the reserves/league team could be good for this young ruckman. WA U/18 Squad Member 2011.

Tyler Chalwell
See BigFooty Bandwagon

Jack Perham
A good year in the league team could see a rookie spot at WCE or Fremantle

Jayden Schofield
Ready made AFL footballer. Homesickness a problem, WCE or Fremantle to pick up in 2013?

What I saw of Perham last seasons he needs to improve a Bit but not out of the Question get a Rookie Spot for a WA Side Where has Chalwell been?

kayliesharks

All Australian
Jun 12, 2011
East Fremantle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Chalwell's been in the reserves and with EF signing Russell Gabriel from Frankston as a KPP/Ruck I cant see Chalwell playing league this year.

kayliesharks

All Australian
Jun 12, 2011
East Fremantle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No love for Sean Lynch, was a great defender for Souths last season?

Chris25 said:
Sean Lynch - 185cm, South Fremantle

Highly touted player is Lynch, attacking defender who can push up into the midfield. I'd expect him to be a key player for WA this year. Very nice speed and he knows that it's his main weapon, so looks to use it whenever possible. Throw in a great kick, and he shouldn't have to wait too long to get drafted.

^There you go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

kayliesharks

All Australian
Jun 12, 2011
East Fremantle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Harrison Marsh from East Fremantle via Geraldton. Approx. 190cm CHB, played midfield in the game last night against East Perth and played extremely well with Jason McCartney watching from the stands. Tom Bowey kicked 4 goals (19 years) and Cam Fannon (19 years) showed promise stepping up in the absence of Elliot Yeo (Brisbane) and Cam Eardley (Geelong).

ilikepotatoes

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Pistons, Glory
Have heard from my best friend that his cousin Chris McGuire will be drafted to Fremantle. (not sure if it is true though) Is he any good?

And Have also heard that Jack Gare and EP colt is an absolute gun Centre Half back. Goes to my school and play with his brothers who would not surprise me if they got drafted too. Is he again any good?

kayliesharks

All Australian
Jun 12, 2011
East Fremantle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
G'day Jack, welcome to BigFooty.

Only joking.

No idea, saw EF/EP the other night and nobody from East Perth stood out.

Hughes and someone else, but it wasn't Gare. Don't think he played.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back