Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym

Remove this Banner Ad

^ There's a guy at my gym who only ever works biceps and chest - ever.
Never does a warm up either. Hope he doesn't catch me smirking at him, although I'm normally too stuffed to do much else.

A guy i saw a few days ago at gym, his days routine consisted of:
- 2-3 sets of biceps curls
- 2 sets of seated shoulder press (super set with bicep curls)
- 2 sets of upright barbell rows (super set with bicep curls)
- Preacher curls (super set with bicep curls)
Then I think he did from memory some situps and then left.

you forgot bicep curls (super set with bicep curls).

in my dealings with trainers they've all said the same thing. majority of blokes who gym it just work on chest and arms. they neglect legs.

then i said "that's what i do!". then realised my legs are already awesome and only need a tune up every now and then.

and also realised its cause my chest and arms arent bulging like i want them

Unless you're a genetic freak and/or do a shitload of cycling, jumping etc, where are they getting their comparative size from?

genetics have played a significant part.

ditto a metabolism disorder i had for most of my life.

have never done weights on them, just a lot of bball, soccer and running as a pubescent teen, in early stages of adulthood, through to current day.

trainers at the gymnasium i frequent seem to always comment on them.

they are jelly

Freakie

Cool cool cool
10k Posts Pantskyle Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2012 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2011 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Todd Banfield 2010 Player Sponsor
Oct 23, 2009
Fitzroy?
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
The Roys FC
I'm a cyclist, my legs are awesome

PatrickBateman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2008
Cartagena, Colombia
AFL Club
Geelong
He's going for "the wow factor", man! Don't ruin this for him!Just biceps, yes.

Biceps/Triceps/Forearms, no.

This thing's a bit of a bug bear of mine. It's a bit of a cliche nowdays, people criticising others for doing an arm workout on their own.

I'm sorry, but if you're training with a split program, you're going to have an arm session.

Chest on its own
Back on its own
Legs on their own
Shoulders on their own (maybe with calves)
Arms on their own

I actually laugh at people who question it. That is of course, if you're training with a split; not just guys like cfol suggested above that have no idea.

Depends how the split is set up. I'm assuming you're doing bench on chest day, triceps obviously get hit hard unless you're really gripping wide. You'd want to split those 2 workouts with at least 2 days in between.

For mine, shoulders / arms / chest all having dedicated days is silly. Maybe if you're on the juice, yes. I just see recovery issues there and time wasted (maybe you have it, I don't). No wonder you're complaining about your legs dude. :) 5 workouts, 1 leg day???

WALL-e

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Magic, Sturt, Ravens, Duke
That's not a good thing bro, means they're fat.

Kidding, I know what you meant.

Bastard.
Didn't have to work for mine either son. u mad?

Did sort of 'work'......that's what happens when you carry extra weight through your childhood. Unit legs. Pissed my PT mate off because he wants to get his bigger.

I still do squats 3 times a week, ride a bike 3-4 times and run pretty much daily. But that's mostly for toning. If anything, they're too big.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i hate when i'm doing hammer curls in the squat rack and some loser tries to do deadlifts behind me. can't he just go do his deadlifts on the cables or something? i mean **** sake
"Yeah, the same losers who complain about my standard 7 minute breaks between sets or work useless muscles like legs"

A couple in my gym like that

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
man this guy on the lat pull down bar the other night was one of the most painful looking things i've ever seen. i almost thought i should have pointed it out to one of the staff (is that bad??)

for one, he was clearly trying to pull too much weight (he had the pin in about 80% of the way to the bottom. the only guys i've seen pulling that much are pretty cut dudes or massive fellas. this guy was stock standard size - about 6 foot, 80 kgs)... and that was one of the reason why he was twisting and writhing and looking like he was going to burst out of his skin the pressure was that intense. it wasn't a controlled twist or anything, which i've never seen anyone do on a lat pull down bar, but wouldn't be inherently dangerous if it was controlled....

he would also get about half way down and because the weight was too much he was would have to stop then he would twist side to side and yank the final foot or so at the end to get down to his chin.

and then on his next set he was pulling the bar back down over his neck. not necessarily a bad thing, but doing it with this sharp twisting motion and it looked like his shoulders were going to pop out...

it's easily the worst form i've ever seen anyone on anything in the gym.

The AXXXMAN

Debutant
Feb 14, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
guys who walk around the joint like they're going to murder anyone who may look at them. lighten the **** up. most blokes in there are bloody self absorbed. at least i can laugh at the bulk of them.......so chest-dominant and hunched over, they look bloody ridiculous.

PatrickBateman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2008
Cartagena, Colombia
AFL Club
Geelong
guys who walk around the joint like they're going to murder anyone who may look at them. lighten the **** up. most blokes in there are bloody self absorbed. at least i can laugh at the bulk of them.......so chest-dominant and hunched over, they look bloody ridiculous.

I literally do laugh at guys in the gym... I guess I'm bigger than most so not so worried about being pulled up for it, but still, the amount of arrogant self absorbed stuff I see tossers doing is hilarious.

Saw douche #1 taking video of his mate douche #2 doing bicep curls with his phone the other day. Then they actually watched it back together for christ sake?? Can someone explain to me what has happened to males in their late teens early 20s??

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
I blame trashy American tv. But then I blame American tv for everything.

I literally do laugh at guys in the gym... I guess I'm bigger than most so not so worried about being pulled up for it, but still, the amount of arrogant self absorbed stuff I see tossers doing is hilarious.

Saw douche #1 taking video of his mate douche #2 doing bicep curls with his phone the other day. Then they actually watched it back together for christ sake?? Can someone explain to me what has happened to males in their late teens early 20s??

Mate they were obviously checking their form. Not everyone can be perfect like you. Smart by them, avoiding injuries etc.

Freakie

Cool cool cool
10k Posts Pantskyle Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2012 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2011 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Todd Banfield 2010 Player Sponsor
Oct 23, 2009
Fitzroy?
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
The Roys FC
Big muscles does not equal fit...

Back