Boumann/Backline.

Remove this Banner Ad

hodge#15

Debutant
Mar 22, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
After watching the game against GWS for about the third time thanks to foxtels 24/7 coverage this bloke can definitely play. This was his first game and regardless of the opposition he still held the back line together and was extremely solid defensively whilst also providing plenty of run, accurate disposal and great composure.

Whilst he may not be as solid as a Mal Michael or Scarlett his athletic ability will allow him to play on the monster forwards such as Cloke. Dustin Fletcher has been doing the same thing for long a long time and rather than becoming involved in a wrestle with players such as Cloke uses his athletic ability and strengths by playing loose to a degree and using his jumping capacity to get to the contest. I am not saying he will play as well as Fletcher has for the majority of his career but can play a similar style and be successful.

Before people say Boumann was actually beaten by Falou in several marking contests, there was only one occassion where he was beaten and that was a mark 10 metres outside the 50 metre line in which he was probably caught off guard and was playing to loose. The other marks Falou took were on Litherland and Suckling.

Boumann playing may also allow Schoey to play the same rebounding style he did on the weekend in which he excelled rather than a position he obviously isn't comfortable in.

A backline group of Gibson, Birchall, Guerra, Schoey, Boumann, Murphy, Suckling, Cheney, Gilham and Hodge's ability to play off the back flank means we have a lot of depth and can match up well with a lot of forward lines.

Very encouraging signs from this bloke and can't wait to see him play again next week.

R

Rumblah#16

I agree. Can see him playing a big part in our success this season.

Big fan.

I've been a Boumann fan from day 1. This guy can play, he is 4cm taller then Schoenmakers. He can spoil well, kick well, and can compete one on one, and is pretty quick for a someone that tall. Is a must for Round 1 IMO given no Gilham.

dermott

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2004
Portsea
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
After watching the game against GWS for about the third time thanks to foxtels 24/7 coverage this bloke can definitely play. This was his first game and regardless of the opposition he still held the back line together and was extremely solid defensively whilst also providing plenty of run, accurate disposal and great composure.

Whilst he may not be as solid as a Mal Michael or Scarlett his athletic ability will allow him to play on the monster forwards such as Cloke. Dustin Fletcher has been doing the same thing for long a long time and rather than becoming involved in a wrestle with players such as Cloke uses his athletic ability and strengths by playing loose to a degree and using his jumping capacity to get to the contest. I am not saying he will play as well as Fletcher has for the majority of his career but can play a similar style and be successful.

Before people say Boumann was actually beaten by Falou in several marking contests, there was only one occassion where he was beaten and that was a mark 10 metres outside the 50 metre line in which he was probably caught off guard and was playing to loose. The other marks Falou took were on Litherland and Suckling.

Boumann playing may also allow Schoey to play the same rebounding style he did on the weekend in which he excelled rather than a position he obviously isn't comfortable in.

A backline group of Gibson, Birchall, Guerra, Schoey, Boumann, Murphy, Suckling, Cheney, Gilham and Hodge's ability to play off the back flank means we have a lot of depth and can match up well with a lot of forward lines.

Very encouraging signs from this bloke and can't wait to see him play again next week.

Not to mention Stratton!!!!!

Am rapt he played a good game over the w/e and I hope he goes from strength to strength. I think he could really make a diffference to how we set up our backline (and perhaps our forward line) if he can apply himself and take his opportunity. He's got a bit of speed for a big guy and I think that will fit in nicely with our running attack out of defence.

Easy Slips Catch

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 10, 2006
Fringe
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Pretty good start by Boumann. At the very least he is something to work on.

Looking forward to this week V Go Dees. They may load their forward line with tall blokes and try bombing in high and long. Will be a good test to see how Stratts goes against big bodies.

The trend seems to be big forwards. I still like the idea of Grimley. Grim is a terrible ruck and will struggle getting game time as a ruckman at BHH. We have to have Macauley match fit for insurance and Lowden needs every opportunity to develop. Plus if BHH are trying to win games they will run Patto through the ruck as well.

Great 2008

Cancelled
Nov 27, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Encouraging start no doubt but GWS were rubbish. Will reserve my judgement. Clarko will be tempted to give him another game against the Dees I reckon.

Some good observations in the OP.

I like Boumanns speed the most. Means he is always a chance to make the contest.

He looked confident with the ball in hand too. Much to like about him also that he is mature age. It is his second chance so looks like the penny has dropped. Looks a cool head too.

No-one complaining about the deal to prelist him now it would seem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking forward to this week V Go Dees. They may load their forward line with tall blokes and try bombing in high and long. Will be a good test to see how Stratts goes against big bodies.

My physio is a Melbourne supporter and he claims that the Demons' model is to defend, defend and defend, then burst forward with long bombs into the forward line to suit the likes of Mitch Clark, Jack Watts, et al. He counted eight players who would play as "tall forwards" in the Melbourne forward line.

I've been on the Boumann bandwagon since seeing him do really well at Box Hill last year. He's an athletic defender who can effect a spoil pretty well. His weakness is that he's not great one-on-one, so I suspect that a opponent's forward coach will instruct the forward being minded by Boumann to wrestle with Boumann and not let Boumann use his spring and athleticism to good effect.

However, I really think that Gilham's place in Hawthorn's best 22 as full back is under pressure from Boumann, who is a solid full back.

Jul 2, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
OKC Thunder
Not getting too excited off the back of a solid performance in a practice match vs an under 19's team. However like you have all said he shows great promise and definitely hope he takes this chance and is able to develop into a consistent footballer for the hawks.

Good luck to the kid this year and hope he has a great debut year with the hawks

hodge#15

Debutant
Mar 22, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not to mention Stratton!!!!!
I knew I was missing someone and just couldn't think who it was, but yes throwing Stratton in to that back line as well makes it look a lot more solid.

As previous posters have said, we will get a greater scope after watching this weekends game against Melbourne as they have a few tall marking forwards in which Boumann will hopefully get another chance to show what he has got.

If he plays as well as he did against GWS I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be selected to play Round 1 against the pies especially with the height they have in their forward line.

Definitely looking forward to watching this week!

Nov 22, 2010
In The Centre Of The Octagon
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Robbie Whittaker
Encouraging start no doubt but GWS were rubbish. Will reserve my judgement. Clarko will be tempted to give him another game against the Dees I reckon.

I agree on reserving judgement, but Clarko should be more than tempted to give him another go. The kid has earned it on his won merits, and deserves another go.

cs61

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Land of the Rising Sun
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We didn't draft a mature player for him not to be a very good chance of playing , we wouldn't go with a mature guy unless we thought he could come in and fill a role and do
It pretty soon. The same as how we drafted Stratton to come in and play.

Whether or not he starts or takes some time I think the intentions to get him up and in to our best 22.

Easy Slips Catch

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 10, 2006
Fringe
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
My physio is a Melbourne supporter and he claims that the Demons' model is to defend, defend and defend, then burst forward with long bombs into the forward line to suit the likes of Mitch Clark, Jack Watts, et al. He counted eight players who would play as "tall forwards" in the Melbourne forward line......

I hope Go Dees do go big. Stratts, Gibbo and Schoey have earnt the first crack but it is only a NAB game so it would be nice to give Boumann a half just to measure him against mature bodies.

If Schoe stands up and Boumann surprises, Gibbo and Stratts may end up fighting for the one spot. That would be a very happy place.

I've been a Boumann fan from day 1. This guy can play, he is 4cm taller then Schoenmakers. He can spoil well, kick well, and can compete one on one, and is pretty quick for a someone that tall. Is a must for Round 1 IMO given no Gilham.
Again with the height? I got to ask, what is with this obsession with height and defenders?

Unless you defend using your head, your height isn't all the relevant. What you still consider Boumann great if he were 4cm taller than Schoey but had arms like a t-rex?

I think you'll find the recruiter are more focused on the measurements of arm-span, core strength and vertical leap. Boumann seemed to have a decent vertical leap, but i'll judge it against a proper footballer, not a rugby player playing footy.

hodge#15

Debutant
Mar 22, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I hope Go Dees do go big. Stratts, Gibbo and Schoey have earnt the first crack but it is only a NAB game so it would be nice to give Boumann a half just to measure him against mature bodies.

If Schoe stands up and Boumann surprises, Gibbo and Stratts may end up fighting for the one spot. That would be a very happy place.

Very very unlikely... That will not happen. Gibson and Stratton are automatic selections and will play every game if fit. There is definitely a spot for both In team.

Dec 28, 2008
Eastern foot hills.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill.
Hodge praises Boumann
Monday, 5 March 2012
By Tim Michell
FORMER Box Hill defender Jarrad Boumann has earned praise for his performance in Hawthorn’s comfortable NAB Cup win over Greater Western Sydney.
Playing defender Jarrad Boumann has earned praise for his performance in Hawthorn’s comfortable NAB Cup win over Greater Western Sydney. As one of the Hawks key defenders in an inexperienced line-up, Boumann lined up against rugby league convert Israel Falou, blanketing the former Melbourne Storm and Brisbane Bronco for much of the first half.
And although Falou left Tasmania with praise for his strong marking in just his second AFL match, Boumann could prove to be one of the big winners from the contest.
Speaking to SEN radio this morning, Hawthorn skipper Luke Hodge described Boumann as the side’s “standout” from their first full hit-out of 2012.

http://boxhillhawks.com.au/news-read.aspx?NewsId=865

Hodge praises Boumann
Monday, 5 March 2012
By Tim Michell
FORMER Box Hill defender Jarrad Boumann has earned praise for his performance in Hawthorn’s comfortable NAB Cup win over Greater Western Sydney.
Playing defender Jarrad Boumann has earned praise for his performance in Hawthorn’s comfortable NAB Cup win over Greater Western Sydney. As one of the Hawks key defenders in an inexperienced line-up, Boumann lined up against rugby league convert Israel Falou, blanketing the former Melbourne Storm and Brisbane Bronco for much of the first half.
And although Falou left Tasmania with praise for his strong marking in just his second AFL match, Boumann could prove to be one of the big winners from the contest.
Speaking to SEN radio this morning, Hawthorn skipper Luke Hodge described Boumann as the side’s “standout” from their first full hit-out of 2012.

http://boxhillhawks.com.au/news-read.aspx?NewsId=865

I thought it was a huge plus for us moving forward. Eager to see how he goes against more seasoned and better organised opposition, but currently justifying all the extra work the coaches put in last year, and why we were so eager to grab in the draft.

Roughie

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2005
Above The Clouds Where The Sounds Are Original
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Boumann was very impressive in his first game, but I wont get too excited as the opponent was GWS. Would like to see him against a better opponent, a better forward line, and a greater midfield delivering it to their forwards before I lock him into a starting spot in our 22

Have to say that his kicking has improved. Looked good as he did for Box Hill all year last year. IF he plays the first two rounds he will be thrown right into the deep end. Sink or Swim? I suspect they may go with experience for the first two games but if he keeps performing you would have to consider him. Either way its a good start to his career at Hawthorn :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back