ATP Masters Series 1000: Indian Wells (+ WTA)

Remove this Banner Ad

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
Just going to start the thread to get the conversation started. Starts in a day and a half. Nobody at MTF has posted a draw so I will just give you the link to the full draw:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2012/404/mds.pdf

Don't forget the ATP Challenge Draw if you want to pick a bracket. We should all try and play see which one of us will finish the highest this season:

http://challenge.atpworldtour.com/

Haven't looked at the draw too closely yet so will not post a preview until I have. Looking forward to all your previews.

Considering it is a joint tournament here is the draw for the WTA:

Azarenka v Bye
Craybas v Barthel
Keothavong v Bacsinszky
Bye v Kuznetsova
Medina Garrigues v Bye
Qualifier v Mirza
Baltacha v Rus
Bye v Goerges

Jankovic v Bye
Hampton v Hercog
Gajdosova v Vandeweghe
Bye v Wickmayer
Pennetta v Bye
Pironkova v Suarez Navarro
Cirstea v Benesova
Bye v A.Radwanska

Kvitova v Bye
Morita v Zahlavova Strycova
Dellacqua v Vesnina
Bye v McHale
Kerber v Bye
Stephens v Qualifier
King v Errani
Bye v Pavlyuchenkova

Zvonareva v Bye
Date-Krumm v Parmentier
Pous-Tio v Zakopalova
Bye v Hantuchova
Zheng v Bye
U.Radwanska v Qualifier
Erakovic v Voskoboeva
Bye v Li

Bartoli v Bye
Qualifier v Qualifier
Johansson v Scheepers
Bye v Kanepi
Safarova v Bye
Paszek v Yakimova
Qualifier v Peer
Bye v Schiavone

Ivanovic v Bye
Qualifier v Larsson
Pervak v Qualifier
Bye v Peng
Niculescu v Bye
Qualifier v Arvidsson
Makarova v Mattek-Sands
Bye v Wozniacki

Stosur v Bye
Falconi v Dulgheru
Davis v Martic
Bye v Petrova
Kirilenko v Bye
Begu v Hradecka
Martinez Sanchez v Dominguez Lino
Bye v Lisicki

Cibulkova v Bye
Qualifier v Rybarikova
Brianti v Soler-Espinosa
Bye v Vinci
Cetkovska v Bye
Qualifier v Halep
Dulko v Dokic
Bye v Sharapova

Casey made it through qualies and has a winnable 1st round match against Vesnina. With that she should be back in the top 100. Dokic and Gajdisova have winnable first round matches also. Stosur in Sharapova's 1/4 of the draw.

Matosevic and Ebden are in the final round of qualies as well. Really both should be qualifying, would be disappointing if they don't.

Stosur has got an ok draw but really hoepfully no silly business from her. Lisicki will be a very tough oppoenent for her in the 4th round if she makes it that far. Don't really hold on hope for the other women.

Should be good tournament.

I bet Roger isn't happy Nadal is back and in his side of the draw....

And will be a great rematch in Murray v Nole (If all goes smoothly)

My predictions: Djokovic to beat Nadal in Final
and
Radwanska to beat Azarenka in Final

Matosevic and Ebden bot got through quallies. Im really looking foward to this tournment is that all the great singles players play doubles aswell. On the womens side Azarenka and Kvitova teaming up. World number 1 and 2.:thumbsu:

Murray should easily get through to the semis based on his draw. I think he might win this one. Nole should cruise to the quarters, but Berdych will be tough there if he gets through. Same with Nadal with Tsonga. Federer has a pretty tough draw. Raonic could be tough in the 3rd round...I think he'll have a big year so will be dangerous. l'm sure he'll be hoping Del Potro doesn't get through to the quarters as he's been getting closer to Fed in recent matches. Would prefer to play Ferrer I'm sure.

Mens Draw:

(1)Novak Djokovic (SRB) vs Bye
Qualifier vs Qualifier
Matthias Bachinger (GER) vs Philipp Kohlschreiber (GER)
Bye vs (29)Kevin Anderson (RSA)

(18)Florian Mayer (GER) vs Bye
Robin Haase (NED) vs Pablo Andujar (ESP)
Albert Ramos (ESP) vs (WC)Jesse Levine (USA)
Bye vs (16)Richard Gasquet (FRA)

(12)Nicolas Almagro (ESP) vs Bye
Qualifier vs (WC)Sam Querrey (USA)
Santiago Giraldo (COL) vs (WC)Jack Sock (USA)
Bye vs (17)Kei Nishikori (JPN)

(30)Andy Roddick (USA) vs Bye
Lukasz Kubot (POL) vs Ivo Karlovic (CRO)
Alex Bogomolov Jr. (RUS) vs Sergiy Stakhovsky (UKR)
Bye vs (7)Tomas Berdych (CZE)

(4)Andy Murray (GBR) vs Bye
Guillermo Garcia Lopez (ESP) vs Rui Machado (POR)
Flavio Cipolla (ITA) vs Ryan Harrison (USA)
Bye vs (25)Viktor Troicki (SRB)

(23)Stanislas Wawrinka (SUI) vs Bye
Qualifier vs (WC)Robby Ginepri (USA)
Qualifier vs Dudi Sela (ISR)
Bye vs (13)Gilles Simon (FRA)

(11)John Isner (USA) vs Bye
Qualifier vs Qualifier
Qualifier vs Nicolas Mahut (FRA)
Bye vs (22)Juan Monaco (ARG)

(32)Julien Benneteau (FRA) vs bye
Qualifier vs Igor Kunitsyn (RUS)
Andreas Seppi (ITA) vs Olivier Rochus (BEL)
Bye vs (8)Mardy Fish (USA)

(5)David Ferrer (ESP) vs Bye
Ivan Dodig (CRO) vs Grigor Dimitrov (BUL)
Yen-Hsun Lu (TPE) vs Denis Istomin (UZB)
Bye vs (31)Juan Ignacio Chela (ARG)

(19)Fernando Verdasco (ESP) vs Bye
Cedrik-Marcel Stebe (GER) vs Ryan Sweeting (USA)
Qualifier vs Qualifier
Bye vs (9)Juan Martin Del Potro (ARG)

(14)Gael Monfils (FRA) vs Bye
Nikolay Davydenko (RUS) vs Qualifier
Lukas Rosol (CZE) vs Thomaz Bellucci (BRA)
Bye vs (20)Jurgen Melzer (AUT)

(27)Milos Raonic (CAN) vs Bye
Carlos Berlocq (ARG) vs Benoit Paire (FRA)
Dmitry Tursunov (RUS) vs (WC)Denis Kudla (USA)
Bye vs (3)Roger Federer (SUI)

(6)Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA) vs Bye
Michael Llodra (FRA) vs Ernests Gulbis (LAT)
Xavier Malisse (BEL) vs Qualifier
Bye vs (28)Radek Stepanek (CZE)

(24)Marin Cilic (CRO) vs Bye
Potito Starace (ITA) vs David Nalbandian (ARG)
Bernard Tomic (AUS) vs Gilles Muller (LUX)
Bye vs (10)Janko Tipsarevic (SRB)

(15)Feliciano Lopez (ESP) vs Bye
Jeremy Chardy (FRA) vs Marcos Baghdatis (CYP)
Donald Young (USA) vs Steve Darcis (BEL)
Bye vs (21)Alexandr Dolgopolov (UKR)

(26)Marcel Granollers (ESP) vs Bye
Jarkko Nieminen (FIN) vs Tommy Haas (GER)
Alejandro Falla (COL) vs Leonardo Mayer (ARG)
Bye vs (2)Rafael Nadal (ESP)

Tomic has a tough match against Muller. They have meet twice before with Muller winning both onceon hard at the AO and once on grass. Even if he does win cant see him beating Tipsy. Matosevic drew another qualifier Ruben Bemlemans which is a winnable match but if he does win he runs into Juan Martin Del Potro. And Ebden drew Igor Kunistyn which is a match Matt should win. I have gone for Djokovic beating Nadal in the final with the semis Murray Vs Novak and Del Potro Vs Nadal. On the womens side i have gone for Sharapova beating Vika in a rematch of there AO final.

P.S Nadals draw is a cakewalk.

Hope Dolgo and Raonic have strong runs. Djokovic seems to be the safe pick.

Radwanska to beat Azarenka in Final

They can only meet in the quarters. And even then, Radwanska doesn't have much to hurt her with.

Just caught the second half of Ebden's match v Kunitsyn. He won in 3, 6-1, 4-6, 6-4 in what was a relatively topsy turvy match. Unfortunately there was no stream, but there were quite a few breaks. Ebden was up a break 3-1 in the third, Kunitsyn pegged him back to 3-3. Eventually Matty got the break for 5-4 up to serve for the match, but of course went down 0-40. Somehow he got back those 3 points and won it. Scoreboard wise doesn't sound like it was a good match, but a win's a win. Not sure who he's got next.

Jarmila beat Vandaweghe in 3 yesterday. I didn't follow the match but she was a break down in the third apparently. I guess its a positive that you can be in a massive slump and still scrounge out a few wins (hi Dokic). Wickmayer is next though and she'll probably cop a hiding.

Dokic played 1 game, lost it and retired against Dulko. Surely if you only play 1 game you knew previously you weren't right, should've given up her spot in the draw. Unfortunately I think she's cooked. :( I think she can be excused though.

So we've still got Bernie, Sam and Matosevic to play. Not sure when they're playing though.

Good for Matty. Next up he plays Jullien Benneteau not impossible but it will be very tough. Bernie and Matosevic will both play overnight tonight. Coverage on ESPN begins Sunday at 6AM. Cant wait for the coverge to start.

Good to see Ebden get the win over Kunitsyn. Arguably the match with Benneteau could shape his season up on whether he'll keep his place in the top 100 or slip out and that be it's peak but I'm probably being a bit dramatic. Tough but very winnable.

Hopefully good news with Tomic and Matosevic tomorrow as well.

Lookign forward to watching Matoesvic go absolutely nuts when he gets smashed by Del Potro, should be entertaining but it has been another good tournament for Marinko, really starting to make a statement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no idea what the hell is going on with Azarenka. Mind boggling. One of those rare days it seems.

50 minute later EDIT: Somehow escapes after being down 5-3 in the third. Mental strength would've had to play a massive part in that since she was double faulting continously. Barthel's a real player, must be noted.

I'm pretty sure Vika had 4, Barthel didn't have a chance at any although she did get to 30-0 at 5-4. Vika was up 4-0 and then 5-1 in the second with the first MP at 5-4. Crazy match.

Schedule is out for everybody who is going to spend their Sunday watching it (Ignore the WTA matches, they aren't shown):

Stadium 1 (Starts at 6am):
Ivanovic vs Larsson (WTA)
Roddick vs Kubot (ATP)
Djokovic vs Golubev (ATP)
Makarova vs Wozinacki (WTA)
Dulko vs Sharapova (WTA) (NB 2pm)
Murray vs Garcia-Lopez (NB 3.30pm)

Stadium 2 (Stars at 6am)
Isner vs Gil (ATP)
Stakhovsky vs Berdych (ATP)
Stosur vs Falconi (WTA)
Seppi vs Fish (ATP)
Harrison vs Triocki (ATP)
Bartoli vs Lepchenko (WTA)

Stadium 3 (Starts at 6am)
Ramos vs Gasquet (ATP)
Tsurenko vs Schiavone (WTA)
Almagro vs Querrey (ATP)
Davis vs Petrova (WTA)
Giraldo vs Nishikori (ATP)

Ebden is first out on Court 6. Looking forward to Roddick and Fish's amtches to see how they are playing. Querrey and Harrison looking at to beating seeds. Giraldo/Nishikori could be interesting too.
'

I'm pretty sure Vika had 4, Barthel didn't have a chance at any although she did get to 30-0 at 5-4. Vika was up 4-0 and then 5-1 in the second with the first MP at 5-4. Crazy match.

Very bizzare even for WTA standards, I had the typical WTA post ready for when Azrenka was going to lsoe that match but she fought hard given that scoreline.

Thanks for the times Matt.;)

Good to see Marinko keep his form going, I really didn't expect this from him (funny looking at Filo V's posts on tennisforum whenever he's been winning), and Jarka get back into form.;)

Barthel seems like she could be a good player. I think she did well at Hobart?

Its a shame Barthel couldn't get up, the poor bugger keeps drawing Azarenka so it would've been nice for her. It seems she's someone to look out for in the future though.

In other good news it was a very nice surprise to get up this morning and see that Jarka had caused a bit of an upset. Hopefully she can continue this and recover her ranking a bit. She'll play Hampton next, who knocked out an apprently dismal Jankovic. I saw Hampton against Shrapova in rnd 2 at AO, albeit I left after about 3 games but she is a pretty decent player so Jarka will have to be on.

Good to see Marinko press on, would be great if he could make top 100. Does anyone know if he has a preferred surface?

EDIT: I just had a look at the live rankings to see Marinko is about 120, and just over 100 points behind the 100th ranked Dimitrov.
http://live-tennis.eu/ there's the link if anyone's interested.

Stosur/Dellacqua also steamrolled their opponenets in doubles. Think they're going to be the Aussie olympic combo.

Hmmm no real intresting matches tomorrow. Wouldnt be suprised if Kubot beat Roddick. Roddick has had really bad loses this year. Hopfully we get to see Harrison Vs Troicki. Im guessing they will start coverage with Isner Vs Gil?

Good to see Marinko keep his form going, I really didn't expect this from him (funny looking at Filo V's posts on tennisforum whenever he's been winning), and Jarka get back into form.;)

Barthel seems like she could be a good player. I think she did well at Hobart?

Giving him too much credit mentioning him on this forum ;) But yeah MTF has been entertaing the last few week.

Barthel played really well in Hobart, I was impressed with her game, very big groundies, she's certainly an up and coming player.

Yeah, we shouldn't forget about Gajdosova's win over Wickymayer, Wickmayer hasn't been in the best form (although she did well somewhere this year I think maybe Paris) but these sorts of results are fantastic for Jarka, should give her confidence and nwos he shoudl take this opportunity to get to the 4th round.

Hirdy, Marinko's best surface would be hardcourts, he's played his tennis on the hardcourts in the States on the challenger circuit most of the time, I would say he hasn't played too much tennis on the red dirt. I suspect he'll be looking for hardcourt challengers during the clay season. He's still got a bit to do to get to the top 100.

I disagree didak, a few interesting matches, Roddick/Kubot, Seppi/Fish (remeber Fish has been horribly out of form), Harrison/Triocki (Winnable match for Harrison, and he's defending points this time around), Giraldo/Nishikori (Giraldo has been playing well on clay see if it transfers to the hard stuff). And I guess we'll see how the top guys Djoko and Murray are perfroming. Yeah, they start with Isner/GIL, won't be getting up for that.

bloody hell, Bernieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. He's made a bit of a meal of this one. Won the first, had 0-30 on Muller's serve, at 4-4 I think, lost the set in a TB, now its 4-0 in the third to Muller, I can just imagine Muller's serve has coincided very nicely with Bernie's guess return tactics. I'm maybe being a bit critical, but argh...

And its 6-0 to Muller.

6-0 in the third down to Muller. FFS, Matosevic has more heart in his pinky finger than Tomic has in his whole body (And Tomic has more talent in his pinky finger than Matosevic has in whole body, yeah, yeah..) What a digusting result, it's the manner that shits me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back