Nab cup grand final

Remove this Banner Ad

Its obvious we all have no clue as to how the Coaching Staff see things, I'm no fan of Selwood but if he is in the lineup there is a good reason like he is a good match up for someone.

Speak for yourself.:D

I never doubted that if he was fit Adam would be playing late in the NAB Cup and round 1. He is a very good lockdown defender, Hurn is our counter attacking defender, Butler also and Waters is the desperate hard man every team needs.

Young blokes like Smith, Brennan, Sheppard and Wilson don't just get drafted, have 1>2 preseasons and then automatically displace someone like A Selwood. Adam is a premiership player for a reason.

Just letting all the Sydney based Eagles supporters know that the game will be shown live at the Camelia Grove Hotel in Alexandria. Details of the pub are also on the West Coast Eagles website. Hope to see a lot of Eagles supporters there supporting the team. As it is St Patricks day you can wear a bit of green with the Blue and Gold.

If you want any additional info you can PM me.

No Kennedy or Shuey is a shame, but it's good to have Gaff back. :) Kerr and Priddis playing more time in the middle this week should see our midfield improve anyhow.

Just on A.Selwood, didnt he finish 5th or somthing in the B & F last year?

Coaches obviously rate him a hell of a lot more than most of us do.

Yep, Talia and ?? at CHB look vulnerable to say the least, if we press well that back six could be in for a torid evening.:D

I too thought Shuey as an emergency was wierd, then read / remembered that the emergencies can all be used after half time.:thumbsu:

Hams is the pocket to start suggests he will get first crack in round 1, may swap for Weedon in the 2nd half as Weedon's weakness is his ability to run out a game, a fresh Weedon playing on a tiring back pocket could pay dividends.

Cox, Naitanui and Lycett is a good plan, rotate them all through the ruck and deep forward and we won't over play any of them.

Is this the first time all 3 are playing together?

Interestingly, I think this is the first time we've played Adelaide at night at AAMI in over a decade. We certainly haven't since 2002.

EDIT: The last time was a Friday night match in 2000, Round 19.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interestingly, I think this is the first time we've played Adelaide at night at AAMI in over a decade. We certainly haven't since 2002.

EDIT: The last time was a Friday night match in 2000, Round 19.

& the last time we played port at night at ammi was 1 of the sadest nights imo

Anyone watch the interview with Sam Butler on AFL 360 before the Eagles flew to Melbourne? It's like Robbo didn't even know who he was. Asking him he thinks he's in the best 18, all he could say was he's a good club man.

While I don't mind Robbo generally, he is Vic-centric. On the Tues or Wed show during their interview with Rory Sloane (Adelaide young gun), he kept calling him Bernie - they had discussed Bernie Vince's drinking shenanigans earlier in that same show. It doesn't surprise me that he wasn't overly familiar with our quiet achiever.

Gerard's great and certainly the stronger link on that show.

The show is pretty weak. On the Couch is the only one worth watching so far. Yet I still record and try and watch at least half of the other s**t on.

After seeing the team named I think we will lose this one.

Waters and Selwood in the backline is a big blow to our chances. Selwood is a bad kick at times and Waters is a poor decision maker in the backline (offensively).

Likewise Embley back in the team.

I think we are underestimating the influence having a HB full of genuinely good kicks had. Wilson, Stevenson heck even Brennan were excellent and I just feel that the favouritism shown to some of the old troopers is something we really need to overcome to take that next step in 2012.

While I don't mind Robbo generally, he is Vic-centric. On the Tues or Wed show during their interview with Rory Sloane (Adelaide young gun), he kept calling him Bernie - they had discussed Bernie Vince's drinking shenanigans earlier in that same show. It doesn't surprise me that he wasn't overly familiar with our quiet achiever.

Gerard's great and certainly the stronger link on that show.

He apologised on twitter saying he used to know a bloke called Bernie Sloane hence the mix up...

I also like Robbo, but yeah, when footy is what you write about and what you live and breathe you should know everyone's name.

I don't like this constant bagging of A. Selwood and Waters for their kicking.

They are obviously in the side because they bring something to the table that no one else on our list can.

For example, look at Emac, his kicking is just as bad, if not worse than Selwood and Waters, yet he avoids a lot of criticism - and rightly so - because he has a clearly defined role and his positive aspects are very clear for us to see, they clearly outweigh his faults.

If you look at the way Selly and Waters play you will see that they bring just as much as Emac to that backline.

I'd love to have a backline full of brilliant stoppers and brilliant kicks, but it's not always like that. Give the kids a bit more time to develop and they will eventually replace the older boys.

Look at what this club has created over the last few years, clearly the coaching staff know what they're doing, listen to Woosha, Teague and others as they explain that they have a plan in mind that they have been working on since 2009 and realise that there is more to their thinking than Satuday night or rd 1 or even rd 10 for that matter. They are already looking at where we want to be come rd 24 and even a succession plan for 2013 and beyond.

In Worsfold we Trust.

They are obviously in the side because they bring something to the table that no one else on our list can.

For example, look at Emac, his kicking is just as bad, if not worse than Selwood and Waters, yet he avoids a lot of criticism - and rightly so - because he has a clearly defined role and his positive aspects are very clear for us to see, they clearly outweigh his faults.

If you look at the way Selly and Waters play you will see that they bring just as much as Emac to that backline.

I'd love to have a backline full of brilliant stoppers and brilliant kicks, but it's not always like that. Give the kids a bit more time to develop and they will eventually replace the older boys.

Look at what this club has created over the last few years, clearly the coaching staff know what they're doing, listen to Woosha, Teague and others as they explain that they have a plan in mind that they have been working on since 2009 and realise that there is more to their thinking than Satuday night or rd 1 or even rd 10 for that matter. They are already looking at where we want to be come rd 24 and even a succession plan for 2013 and beyond.

In Worsfold we Trust.
No backline with that many suspect kicks can win a flag in this day and age.

Plus McKenzie is a reasonable kick, far better than Selwood he just had a big issue with decision making which he seems to have gone a fair way to fixing. Regardless his job is largely to shut down the opponents best forward. As long as he like Glass can play within his limits any drive from defence he offers is largely a bonus.

Anyway, its not just on an individual level having another rebounding weapon takes heat off Hurn meaning we can use him more offensively.

Firstly, I don't agree that Mackenzie's kicking is that bad. He was guilty of trying risky kicks that he did not execute properly, but that area of his game has improved and he now looks to easy options, just as Glass does.
The problem is, you can excuse a justifiably negative full back of not being a great kick or for looking to give the responsibility of rebounding off to smaller blokes, but when half of those players are poor kicks/decision makers themselves, it starts becoming difficult to get the ball out efficiently because we're limited in decent rebound options to Hurn, Butler and Schofield.

There is probably room in the backline for one of Waters or Selwood, but not both when half the responsibility of a HBF is with the ball in hand. For that reason I'd take a player like Butler over a Selwood/Waters any day of the week.

Yes i do understand that Emac role is not to dispose of the ball as much, and i take on board what you're saying. I just think that sometimes the positive aspect of Selwood - positioning, blocking, tight-marking is lost because people feel he can't kick.

There are plenty of rotations going on in the backline, so chances are those two won't be on the ground together much anyway.

But I think the main reason why we keep choosing these blokes is because nowadays midfielders push back into defence and are used to get the ball out just as much as defenders. So we have our defenders defending and our midfielders disposing.

Anyway, I just thought i'd go in to bat for them, I'm not a huge fan of bagging out my own players and I think the runs are on the board with the two premiership players to give them some slack. Same with he match committee for picking them each week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back