2012 membership discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

CtD's probably looking at the figure on the membership site, hosted by ticketmaster. The two figures rarely tally, though if memory serves, it is usually the main site that lags.

CtD's probably looking at the figure on the membership site, hosted by ticketmaster. The two figures rarely tally, though if memory serves, it is usually the main site that lags.

Yeah, I went to www.membership.lions.com.au

Didn't even realise that there were 2 different numbers......

I am easily confused.....:eek:

Do they have a 3 game membership like every other Victorian team has?

I'm far from an expert but they certainly do have 3 game memberships... these are however for the Gabba only I think.

Victorian fans can check out their membership options via this link.

The problem with the Lions doing the "3 game memberships" in Victoria is going to be that we're always the "away" team. Currently in order to get Victorian members access to ANY Victorian game involves the club wheeling and dealing with the AFL and "Home" clubs to get tickets. They're just not in a position to be able to offer more varied packages easily unfortunately.

Thanks to the two last posts for feedback. Just have to look into it i suppose. If they haven't got them it can be way expensive. Anyway thanks guys:thumbsu:

Worth noting that Sydney also doesn't have 3 game Vic memberships.

As Jorgo mentioned, unfortunately even with their heritage, the way the AFL's ticketing deals are structured means the Swans and Lions are disadvantaged when it comes to offering value membership packages to their traditional Victorian base.

While it may not help everyone, the Lions try to beef up the value by throwing in games for the Gabba.

My family and I (5) usually wait until the vic family day every year to re-sign but seeing as this year there is no family day we will just be doing it at Visy Park this Saturday. I know a few others that are doing the same so hopefully there is another jump in the telly after this weekend.:thumbsu:

You can also just get a victorian membership even if you live in queensland - entitles you to 6 vic games and 5 Gabba games :thumbsu:

I guess its not the cheapest option however if you only intend to go to the Gabba games

Worth noting that Sydney also doesn't have 3 game Vic memberships.

As Jorgo mentioned, unfortunately even with their heritage, the way the AFL's ticketing deals are structured means the Swans and Lions are disadvantaged when it comes to offering value membership packages to their traditional Victorian base.

While it may not help everyone, the Lions try to beef up the value by throwing in games for the Gabba.

Yes you are right by all accounts, and your surely on the money about historical background as Sydney and Brisbane Geez you would think the A F L would kick in and help this along?
Its just that i see " little" anomalies with other clubs, say G W S have a lot of Members sign up for an inexpensive membership because they live in Canberra. And North Will sign up and sell 2 game memberships to Tassie and 3 game Melbourne ones
While i see all members That follow freo on this side of the county Pay less.
I'm sorry if i'm seeming pedantic and in the long run its not going to matter i suppose But Thanks for your input i appreciate That. The poster dave should be applauded signing up 5 in all as times are tough.
Anyway thanks

MG, I agree wholeheartedly that the AFL should give special dispensation for the two genuine two-town teams, allowing them to offer value for their memberships. I'm not holding my breath though. :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A general admission 3 game pass to the Gabba costs $75.

A Victorian membership (which is for GA only) costs $164. But it includes the Gabba games as a bonus.

I would have thought there is some scope for the Lions to offer a 3 game pass in Melbourne. Even if they simply halve the cost of a normal membership, it would cost $82 which is about on par with the same package at the Gabba. It doesn't seem that hard so I wonder if they believe the demand isn't there.

The other thing that they should offer is victorian country membership for lions members. I had this with Fitzroy but i think you can only a country membership with brisbane if you live in the state of qld. I very rarely get to a game because of distance but pay my full vic membership. Obviously not all supporters have memberships and this could be one area that may be an option to get more members for the club for very little cost.

From memory, didn't we used to have country memberships?

They just have supporter memberships now, same for every state not just Victoria.

The country memberships weren't really applicable to Victoria. They gave free entry to a game in WA, SA or NSW (maybe Tasmania too?), as well as a handful of Gabba games.

The new supporter membership is just "priority access to purchase tickets for interstate matches through the Lions", doesn't include any game access but is decidedly cheaper for it, and yeah, can apply to any state. I believe they used to offer something similar before, so basically they just abolished the old country membership.

from lions.com.au

Another 300, been a really good week..

Plus one more tonight!!:D:D:D..

..I have wanted to join for so long, but have never been able too....my car is paid off now, so that money has gone on a supporter membership....I have chosen that one because we rarely go to the footy these days:(

..now for the whinge...have read on here about memberships going astray, or mistakes made etc....I'm not surprised, why is ticketmaster doing the memberships and not the Lions themselves??..

...and it is not a user friendly site for the first timer....the Lions very nearly missed out on me joining out of sheer frustration with the site..

..I was not sure until near the very end whether I was buying a membership or tickets to a game!!...anyway, my husband kicked me out of the chair and did it for me....now he DOES know about computers, but even he thought it wasn't easily navigated or crystal clear..

I'm tipping I won't be the only one to nearly say forget it..perhaps one or two have..

anyway whinge over, I'm just rapt to be able to say I'm a ridgy didge member, do my bit for the club:heart:, albeit in a very small way..

..now for the whinge...have read on here about memberships going astray, or mistakes made etc....I'm not surprised, why is ticketmaster doing the memberships and not the Lions themselves??..

I think it works out to be more cost-effective for the club. They don't need to develop, maintain or upgrade the software or site, and Ticketmaster runs (I think) all the AFL clubs' memberships. That can be a big deal because the club isn't exactly the type of organization to have a large number of software developers or webmasters in house.

But having said that, Ticketmaster is an abomination and horrible to use. The only thing I can say about it is that it's easier than it used to be, but that's because it developed from a point where I would rather not go to events than book via Ticketmaster.

I think it works out to be more cost-effective for the club. They don't need to develop, maintain or upgrade the software or site, and Ticketmaster runs (I think) all the AFL clubs' memberships. That can be a big deal because the club isn't exactly the type of organization to have a large number of software developers or webmasters in house.

But having said that, Ticketmaster is an abomination and horrible to use. The only thing I can say about it is that it's easier than it used to be, but that's because it developed from a point where I would rather not go to events than book via Ticketmaster.

Congrats on getting rid of the car burden MacMum.....feels great doesn't it? Good decision on how to spend that next payment too. As for Ticketmaster, couldn't agree more. It is an abomination and I've used computers since the Osborne mini green or orange screens and I gave up and rang my renewal through. Mainly because i couldnt see a mention of my seat renewal at the GABBA and as I have a front row end seat on the wing I wasn't giving that up because I stuffed up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back