2012 Western Australian Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Gare and Herman Humpries are both too young for this draft.

As for Chris McGuire, I can't offer much help. Small, indigenous kid I think? Only played a handful of matches last year in the Colts. Maybe one to look out for, but I wouldn't take notice of any clubs supposedly showing interest in anyone so early on.

I heard Max Duffy kicked a bag. Could be one worth watching as a 19yo.

Big Duff kicked 5 against EP. About time he stepped up. If it wasn't for the fact he rocked up to a meeting 20 minutes late not in uniform (in basketball shirt and thongs) he'd probably be playing AFL now.

Sadly barring any mysterious form slump or injury concerns you would think he is a likely first round choice. Can only dream of him lasting till our pick.

Your dreams may actually come true due to Garlett's off-field antics leading to him being dropped from the AIS/AFL squad to tour Europe.

Anyone know what said issues are ??? The article makes it sound like he has fallen in with a bad crowd, with a suggestion that he would "benefit from being drafted to an eastern states club, away from some destabilising influences."

Could he drop down to a 2 rd pick? The draft is supposed to be exceptional this year, and "the first uncompromised draft" in years (except for all those pesky compo picks ofcause) so will teams be playing it safe, selecting more "stable" kids, or will he go late first/early second ???

WAFL Round 4 Scratch Match
East Fremantle 84 def. by South Fremantle 89

In a close game which saw East Fremantle lead for the entire game until the 23 minute mark of the final quarter, some extremely good skills and courageous attitudes were shown in the always close fiery Fremantle derby.

East Fremantle played with an extended squad of 29, with players changing at half time, whereas South Fremantle played out a 23 man squad.

2012 Draft Prospects:
South Fremantle:
-Brendan Verrier racked up 23 disposals in a stand out game for the Bulldogs.
East Fremantle:
-Harrison Marsh racked up 13 disposals in the 1st half before being substituted out of the game. Won 5 centre clearances and is a tall (191cm) midfielder.
-Alex Howson kicked 4 goals 1 from 5 kicks after being substituted on at half time. A strong mark and kick showed plenty of promise.
-Jacob Green had 18 disposals in a tough game for the undersized midfielder. Gave away a controversial free kick in the dying minutes to hand South Fremantle the game.
-Tom Bowey - 3 goals, dangerous crumbing small forward

2013 Draft Prospects
South Fremantle
-Ben Sokol: 4 goals 1 and 8 marks in an outstanding display. U16 WA State Representative
-Jakeb Tartaglia: 11 disposals with 6 inside 50s for the dashing wingman/half forward flanker from CBC Fremantle.

Corey chalmers, Nick Rodda, Martin Geraghty, Matt Johnson and Aiden Lynch are constant performers for Westies and have done well today. Beat subi by 2 points.

I didnt see todays game but am happy to answer any questions about the West perth colts lads

Mason Shaw broke his jaw in the practice match yesterday, apparently in a behind the scenes incident with West Coast's Mitch Brown. Maybe Brown was unhappy that a 17 year old is already better than him?

Shaw shouldn't be missing too much time at least.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WAFL 16s Carnival Round 2
East Fremantle vs. South Fremantle

2014 Draft Prospects:
East Fremantle
#1 - Barry Barone (Bullcreek Leeming JFC). Half-forward flanker, big bodied can run through the midfielder if needed. Easily EF's best, racked up about 20 disposals and took some good contested marks.
#9 - Grady Tomelty (Northampton JFC). Half-back, always seemed to be around the ball. Not flashy, genuine hard bodies footballer.
#29 - Mitchell Kleppe (Willetton JFC). Ruckman/FF. More suited in the forward line, strong mark. Good pace.
#41 - Billy Frampton (East Fremantle JFC). Ruckman. Tall ruckman with good hands, found a rover 70% of taps and won over 65% of taps.

South Fremantle
#9 - Jacob Dragovich (Winnacott). Midfielder with a booming kick. Pulled up with a cramp in final quarter
#10 - Jarrod Pickett (Jandakot). Pacy midfielder with silky skills. Stereotypical indigenous footballer. Captain of WA side in Indigenous Championships 2011.
#19 - Matt Ah Siu (Bullcreek Leeming). Tall forward with good hands. Showed some promise with 2 goals in the first half but went quiet after.
#23 - Jermaine Miller-Lewis (Armadale). Tall indigenous player in the Adam Goodes mould. Strong bodied, if you get in his way you will be run over. Long right foot kick with good marking skills.

Saw a bit of the colts today between Perth and Claremont. First time I have seen Jack Martin play, have heard people say things like he's a cross between Buddy and Goodes, but my first thoughts are that he is extremely skinny. Has an awesome leap and took some nice marks, but his kicking was a bit off today. Goddard-Nash for Claremont was very quick and one that stood out a lot to me. Yarran for Perth has had a fair bit said about him, but was fairly quiet this morning, has class when he gets it, but it really doesn't seem like he gets it enough.

Big win to Claremont today by about 80 points so they had plenty of good players out there.

Mason Shaw broke his jaw in the practice match yesterday, apparently in a behind the scenes incident with West Coast's Mitch Brown. Maybe Brown was unhappy that a 17 year old is already better than him?

Shaw shouldn't be missing too much time at least.

Should this derail into a Freo vs Eagles thread?;)

Shouldn't slide too much at all imo. It's an injury which has occurred only because of the wrong doing of another player. Not like a hamstring/shoulder concern.

It ended up being a broken cheekbone and fractured eye socket for Mason. Not good at all, and will see him sidelined for up to 3 months. But I don't imagine it would have any impact on his draft prospects at all.

He might not have any competitive match play under his belt before the Championships, but a facial injury doesn't stop you from training. So, he should be fine.

It ended up being a broken cheekbone and fractured eye socket for Mason. Not good at all, and will see him sidelined for up to 3 months. But I don't imagine it would have any impact on his draft prospects at all.

He might not have any competitive match play under his belt before the Championships, but a facial injury doesn't stop you from training. So, he should be fine.

That is some pretty serious damage right there. I just hope it doesn't leave any psychological issues or effect his confidence on the playing field.

Just watched the Subiaco vs West Perth game on ABC iView from the weekend, kept my eyes on a couple of players that were in the WA U18 squad last year, but did not progress to an AFL list...

Laine Rasmussen - Like what he does with the ball, started out like a house on fire, then faded big time. Takes a lot of short options when he gets the ball, however he does go in and get it. Ended up around the half back line. Sublime hands.

Rhys Waters - Lots of forward pressure, however not one of his disposals were in the attacking 50, which shows he was working hard up the ground. Didn't show great composure with the ball, and made a few errors.

I was also interested to see how Darcy Barden was going to go in the WAFL. Given the game plan was to kick it to him no matter how many players were on him, he gave away quite a few frees but kept presenting. His M.O. when he has the ball is to kick it as long as possible - although that was evident with the whole Falcons team after 1/4 time.

Is Waters "overage" now or can he play in the championships again? For some reason I thought he was still underage.

Quick edit: 14/10/93, Pretty sure he still can then.

WAFL Colts Round 2

Claremont 68 lost to East Perth 72

Claremont
#11 Jack Martin (18 disp, 2 goals) - possible 2012 mini draft or 2013 Draft

East Perth
#9 Gordon Alone (24 disp, 2 goals) - 19 year old 2012
#4 Brandon Hughes (18 disp)

West Perth 122 def. Swan Districts 83

West Perth
#3 Brayden Antonio (25d,4g)
#5 Corey Chalmers (24d,4g)
#37 Jacob Regan (7d,5g)