Gws target: Isaac smith

Remove this Banner Ad

juniorboy9

Debutant
Aug 19, 2009
fitzroy north
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Alright before you shoot me down, I'm a long-time hawks member, I live and breathe anything hawthorn and have no reason to make up lies.

A colleague of mine who plays VFL footy for Frankston and who is friends with Isaac told me the following:

GWS have put an offer to Issac Smith.
It is significantly more than he gets from Hawthorn.
He is considering it and is more than likely to accept it.

Believe of this what you will. Personally I'm shattered, as I think Issac will be an absolute star. His first year was blistering, and we can only image what he'll be like after a few more years in a professional environment.

I can also understand why Issac would be an intelligent target from GWS' perspective. He has enormous potential, would be on small money from the Hawks, and would not be in the top bracket of players Hawks are concerned about losing.

Hopefully he rejects the offer. If not, I wonder what sort of compensation we would get for him? I assume a mid to late first round draft pick

Yeah, I also heard this a while back. Hopefully if Isaac has a great 2012 we can offer him a more lucrative deal to stave off GWS.

This would suck. The club has worked so hard to build itself back into a position of relative strength since just before the arrival of Clarko. We had pick 19 and used it on Smith.......now they can just come along and cherry pick him. It stinks. (Would stink to be Melbourne or WB's as well by the way.)

Hope Clarko plays him every game (if it is true) and he ends up a premiership player. At least we will get something back for him rather than having to let him go for basically nix.

Might mean the death knell for a few of our more moderate performers / older players as well if we try and match or improve the GWS offer.

Pretty sure any offer would be more than Smith's current remuneration, as far as I know he would be on the standard 2 year draftee contract as part of the EBA.

Would hate to lose him.

Play him in the box hill magoos. Run him into the dirt. HOW DARE HE LEAVE US?

Have heard from a v good source on matters GWS (was right on Goldstein and Bastinac stuff) that GWS are big into Isaac.

Don't know anything further than that so won't speculate but yeah, my understanding is they're offering him big $$$.

I've said it before, I'll say it again.

It makes no sense to me that GWS would target midfielders. They have at least 5 billion of them already. With Smith inserted on the wing, they're going to lose one of their talented youngsters they got from the draft.

Not sure I can see much truth in it. Midfield is not where they need personnel. It's their forwards and backs. Would they play him at HF maybe?

Would be genuinely surprised to see Smith go.

Great Post Sunny........you are welcome any time. (Blood pressure resumes normal parameters)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's old news that he's a target, just like a stack of other players.

It's all speculation too, and I really don't think we need it on the boards when Round 1 hasnt even kicked off.

Another great post lets ban these threads unless there is some roof. (A point of difference maybe).

It's old news that he's a target, just like a stack of other players.

It's all speculation too, and I really don't think we need it on the boards when Round 1 hasnt even kicked off.

The news isn't that he's just a target however. It's that he's been offered a big contract and is likely to accept it.

Didn't he say was going to extend his contract with the hawks because he was so gratefully for them giving him the opportunity to play afl about 2 to 3 months back in a herald sun article.

He did:

The 16-gamer is out of contract at the end of the year, but said he would re-sign with Hawthorn.
"I just hope the Hawks want me," he said. "I want to stay. If they want me I'll be quite happy to stay. I think I will have to show them something first, though."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...-for-isaac-smith/story-e6frf9jf-1226266113115

The thread stays open. It's been clearly identified as a rumour/unverifiable source. You're free to debate its merits until the cows come home.

Just be wary of accepting it as gospel though - who could forget the 'insider sources' adamant that Roughy's career was done...

I don't like losing any player for any reason but if we are to lose a player to each of the two new clubs, Smitty and Browny aren't the worst that could happen! We would have to hope he gets a large enough carrot (assuming its true which I have no reason to believe that it is) that we get a 1st pick compensation. With Hill given a year to replace him, maybe Youngy returning to previous form. Wangeen in the wings. Could be a whole lot worse!

Have heard from a v good source on matters GWS (was right on Goldstein and Bastinac stuff) that GWS are big into Isaac.

Don't know anything further than that so won't speculate but yeah, my understanding is they're offering him big $$$.

How right on was your good source about Goldstein?

If they told you his wife didn't even consider looking at Sydney properties, they would be close. Someone extremely close to his wife (no extra marital affair implied) categorically said, "no offer had been made". I'll believe my White Crow!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back