Society/Culture Clive Palmer

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd be interested if putting a 'super tax' on only mining and resources profits would be seen as exactly what it is - a clever way to avoid breaking section 114 of the consitution.

I loved studying constitutional law and reading all the illogical trains of thought the HCA used to allow the Commonwealth to do (largely) whatever it wanted. The Uniform Tax Cases were particularly hilarious.

Poor old Clive wouldn't have a chance.

So richer people have more right to complain?
No just greater means.

Like him or not, is the act of him fighting to limit his/his businesses tax exposure really that unreasonable?

Simply fighting for personal vested interest.

In fact I would blame easily corruptible politicians and the suckers among the public, before blaming someone like Palmer.

On other issues, like Twiggy and his attack on/attempts to circumvent native title and Rhineheart and her direct interference in the media I am less sympathetic. Both massively abuse their power and influence but to a great degree political corruption and cowardice or public apathy allows it.

So richer people have more right to complain?

The point being debated here appears to be that the rich have less right to complain.

If you want to mount a High Court challenge - knock yourself out ...why should someone be limited on how they can expend their cash?

If we are going to start limiting High Court challenges - does that include the Malaysian solution?

I have no doubt that the likes of Twiggy and Palmer honestly believe these decisions are to the detriment of the nation.

http://www.news.com.au/national/min...ll-coal-industry/story-e6frfkw9-1226305462536

BILLIONAIRE Clive Palmer has made bizarre claims the CIA is backing green groups in a bid to kill the Australian coal mining industry.

And he appeared to suggest that US President Barack Obama was directly briefed on the sabotage.

Mr Palmer called a Brisbane press conference to declare that "an off-shore political power'' and the humanitarian organisation the Rockefeller Foundation were behind the attacks on mining.

He said the objective was to make American coal more competitive.

Mr Palmer said no outside country was funding his operations.

"The big difference is that this is funded by the CIA. That's the big difference,'' Mr Palmer told reporters.

Oh dear !

So if the govt is going to levy higher corporate taxes on one particular industry at the exception of all others they should be subject to a legal challenge. They may win but that doesn't mean they are right.
That seems to be raising a couple of things:
First, the assumption that the tax system has to be the same for everyone.
Great for PAYE salary and wage earners who bear the highest margins.
Would industry enjoy being taxed at the same unavoidable rates? Hide the profit, shift offshore, use writedowns and cunning accountants, avoid the tax.

The other is that a legal challenge needs to have a legal basis.
So, if you are pissed, feel that the law should scripted a certain way, and have the money, you can just take the Cth to court?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Australia's richest (or second richest or whatever) man has just claimed that the CIA and the Rockefellers are conspiring to bring down our nation's biggest export industry.

Hmmm.

tin-foil-hat.jpg

There have been questions on the legal validity of a minerals resource rent tax. In regards to

114. A State shall not, without the consent of the Parliament of the Commonwealth, raise or maintain any naval or military force, or impose any tax on property of any kind belonging to the Commonwealth, nor shall the Commonwealth impose any tax on property of any kind belonging to a State.

in our constitution.

Barnet and Forrest have hinted that they may look into this.

Mmmm. Only a few problems.

The first being the act is being passed by consent of parliament.

The second is...what the **** are you smoking?

He paid 70 million in tax last year - if he wants to challenge ...more power to him.

I want rich fatsos to pay their fair share, not their petty cash.

The point being debated here appears to be that the rich have less right to complain.

If you want to mount a High Court challenge - knock yourself out ...why should someone be limited on how they can expend their cash?

If we are going to start limiting High Court challenges - does that include the Malaysian solution?

I have no doubt that the likes of Twiggy and Palmer honestly believe these decisions are to the detriment of the nation.

The debate is about Palmer not being able to complain? Or could it be that we're sick of his fat bloated carcas complaining when he's a billionaire?

Medulusa:
On what basis do you think they belong to you?

Are you telling us that Clive Palmer owns the land he mines?

And the relevance is?

That the Federal government can not raise taxes on state property?

Minerals are owned by the state.

Thus a tax on minerals could plausibly be in breach of this and this is where any legal challenge on the mining tax would be made.

The Federal government would probably win the case by arguing that the tax was on the profits made from state property and not on state property itself.

The debate is about Palmer not being able to complain? Or could it be that we're sick of his fat bloated carcas complaining when he's a billionaire?

I choose to play the Voltaire card and as my joker was in play - I claim double points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back