Biggest Winning Margin
2002 – 83 points

Last Time against St Kilda
R16 2011 – 8.5 53 to 17.7 109

Most Goals vs St Kilda
28 – W Tredrea
18 – P Burgoyne
13 – S Dew

St Kilda will be a tough opponent, make no mistake. The Saints are one of the great unknowns of 2012. People seem to have it marked down as a given that they will continue to fall down the ladder. ‘Aging’ list, on the wrong side of the premiership window, new coach, new ideas, teething problems, but im not so sure that they should be written off so early. Any squad that boasts the likes of Goddard, Riewoldt, Fisher, Montagna, Dal Santo, Hayes, Milne & McEvoy will continue to win plenty of games. Throw in a large number of very good 2nd string players in Gilbert, Dempster, Schneider, Gram, Jones and it is still a first 18 to be reckoned with.

The main question mark will be over how the playing group reacts to the new coaching group. Scott Watters is a talented coach – he proved it with premierships at Subiaco in the WAFL and in charge of Collingwood’s defensive group under Mick Malthouse. Joining him is a man we know all too well in Dean Laidley who will look over the clubs midfield group.

The main change to St Kilda on the field that has been noticeable over the pre season is they have put the defensive, uber structure based game style on the back burner and have been looking at moving the ball long and quick, particularly out of defence. Its all about defeating the zone and getting the opposition flustered. On 83% of kick-ins through the NAB Cup they either went short to the pocket followed by a very quick, very long kick down the wing, or played on from the kick in and went long. In either case, it was all about getting the ball out of defence and hitting hot spots up on the defensive side of the wing. This then usually followed up with more quick movement to an open forward line with marking targets and plenty of small firepower.

On the negative side, in a couple of the NAB matches they struggled with their defensive structures and were well beaten by Sydney and West Coast. Too often they had holes deep in defence with the opposition able to play on quickly themselves and break down their defensive structures. Get the ball in quick and you have the opportunity to score plenty of goals.

KEY PLAYERS

Nick Riewoldt – 2011 wasn’t kind to St Nick. He started showing signs of decreasing output and seemed to struggle with his body throughout the year. But, as the Saints stormed home, so did Nick, with a number of big games to finish off the year. It would be folly to write him off and what better time for Nick to come out fit and firing than Round 1. Not to mention the fact that Nick has often enjoyed feasting on the carcass of our team over the last few years. He hasn’t dropped below 3 goals since 2007 and often our tall defenders have struggled to keep him in check on the lead. It will be the perfect test to see how far Trengove has come in the off season in becoming a premier defender.

Brendon Goddard – Shocking pre season form aside, Brendon is one of St Kildas prime movers. Like Riewoldt, 2011 saw a drop in form from his previous heights of 09 & 10 but Brendon has always enjoyed playing against the Power. He has scored Brownlow votes in the last two meetings between the clubs and averages just under 20 disposals a game against Port Adelaide. Will be interesting to see how he goes in Round 1 given that his pre season form wasn’t great at all.

Nick Dal Santo – Dominated the last meeting between the clubs with a massive 36 disposals and a goal. Nick is the danger man in the midfield, capable of winning it in tight and using it with class and precision on the outside.

YOUNGSTERS

Tom Simpkin – Looks to have beaten Beau Wilkes to the vacant Full Back position. Not the tallest KPP around at 191cm, but he has plenty of smarts uses his body well to take contested marks and also is good on the rebound. Will watch his development this year with interest.

Tom Ledger – Such an interesting prospect. Sub 180cm but a walking ball of muscle and capable of using the ball effectively. Will get plenty of chances this year to cement himself in the side, but expect to see him come off the bench against us.

Jamie Cripps – A first round pick who missed a lot of last season with injury, he has spent plenty of time in the pre season as the link man coming out of defence and will be given every chance to settle in the side as the season progresses. Like Ledger, Im expecting he will come off the bench and look at delivering the ball to the midfield and half forward line.

Jack Steven – Looks capable of moving into the top bracket of St Kilda players this year. Almost Dane Swan like in the way he moves across the turf, with a strong body, plenty of pace and able to win plenty of clearances and hard ball gets

Prediction – I think we have a real good opportunity to start the season off with a win. St Kilda will want to get off to a winning start under a new coach but I think we have the chance to match up against them pretty well. Their pre season form wasn’t great, they can leak goals against good forward lines and they will be trialling a new game style for the first time for premiership points. It will all come down to the midfield battle. If we can at the very least break even in the midfield, then I think we have the defence and the forward line to win the match. If St Kilda get on top in the middle like they did against us last year, then I can’t see us being able to get a positive result. But, it’s a new season so im going to start the year optimistic

Port by 13 points

If I Could Turn Back Time

Round 1, 1989 v Sturt
Rick Davies must have thought ‘What is all the fuss about?’ whilst walking onto Alberton Oval at ¼ time. After taking over as coach in controversial circumstances in the off season, Sturt led the reigning premiers by 29 points at the first change. At Alberton. Unheard of. Sturts midfield of Greg Whittelsea, John Paynter, Bruce Lennon and Scott Field were getting the ball out of the midfield, whilst young key forward Damien Kitschke was having a field day against Delaney in the goal square. He had kicked 3.3 for the quarter and Sturt looked well on top. But, as a sign of things to come for both clubs, it didn’t take long for the tide to change. It took Port Adelaide only 10 minutes into the 2nd quarter to hit the lead, with the likes of David Hynes, Tim Ginever, Andrew Obst and Simon Tregenza starting to lead through the middle. Port Adelaide kicked 10 consecutive goals for the quarter to lead by 23 points at the main break.

The third quarter saw Sturt creep back into the contest to be just 14 points down at the last change, and when the Double Blues kicked two goals in the first two minutes of the last quarter, it looked like an upset might be on the cards. But, a quick clearance from Tim Ginever and a turnover at CHF saw Hodges run into an open goal and halt Sturts momentum. An atypical Rohan Smith running goal and a long bomb from Bruce Abernethy minutes later would be enough to kill the contest, with the Magpies running out winners by 31 points.

F: D Hynes / S Hodges / T Ginever
HF: R Smith / G Phelps / W Mahney
C: M Warton / A Obst / S Tregenza
HB: M Tylor / G Phillips / B Abernethy
B: G Boyd / R Delaney / G Fiacchi
R: R Johnston / S Williams / D Brown
I: P Rizonico / P Harrison

PA 2.2 / 12.3 / 15.7 / 23.9 (147)
ST 6.7 / 7.10 / 12.11 / 17.14 (116)

BEST: Phillips, Tregenza, Ginever, Obst, Fiacchi, Abernethy, Hodges

GOALS: Hodges 5; S Williams 4; Ginever 3; R Smith, Hynes, Abernethy, Warton 2; Obst, Tregenza, Fiacchi

Paying $17 for over 40, or if you are really confident, $700 for 90-99 and over 100.:eek:

Dont think you will see us with these odds again this year.

I know many people would be looking to start discussing the round 1 game. Macca's preview will be coming very shortly. So the Basic information. Sunday April 1st Aami Stadium, 4:10pm (Twilight yaaa)

Stats
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_team_comparison?team1_id=14&team2_id=16

Odds

Port $3.25
St Kilda $1.33

I like those odds and think we'll win by 5 goals.
Those odds have come done a fair wack over the last couple of weeks, we was around the $4.40 mark at one time and i am kicking myself for not getting on then.
We have been the biggest shortener for round one and i think will will get the chocolates:thumbsu:

Simpkin, Steven... What's with the Saints and their singular surnames?

Who knows how Watters will be as a coach tactically speaking. If he's anything like St.Kilda of old where they grind it out and we'd see a predictable 9 goal to 7 game, however it could be more free flowing than that. We get them at a good time. They've had a horrible pre season, why, who knows. It could be put down to an aging list, a change in game plan or anything like that really but we do catch them at good time. I think we will surprise a few people in this game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When I saw them leaking end to end goals with a defensive line that seemed to be in shambles against Sydney, then crossed to a shot of Laidley in the box I did chuckle a bit and thought 'gee this looks familiar'.

Excellent preview Macca as always. Macca's previews are back which means Footy season is back at last! ****en Aye!

I'm really optimistic about this game, which is bringing up all kinds of 'nam flashback' type emotions

I'm still shocked at those odds. Given the Saints pre-season form and ours this is a 50/50 game. Even if we lose we'll lose by a small margin so betting on the line for Port has to be Matilda's tip of the round????

Great preview as usual. I do think it is dangerous when we write off teams that have a core of good players. I get nervous when teams that play dour footy play us because we have never been able to deal with that in the past.

I will be interested to see how we go against this team because it is a real test for how we have really moved forward as a competitive side. I am quite confident that we will at least be a middle of the road team with solid contributions from every player.

The difference is the improvement of Gray, Boak and Hartlett and the additions of Ebert and McArthy. If you add Matt Thomas, Stewart, and a rejuvenated Kane Kornes, we may have the goods to pull this off.

I think there are some similarities between St Kilda12 and Port07. Both written off, both with a core group of successful top quality players, both with a group of youngsters looking to make their mark. If St Kilda can get used to the way Watters wants to play early, then theres no reason why they cant really push deep into the finals.

Why is everybody doubting the Saints ability to beat a poor team, just because their poor PRE-season form??

I dont think pre season form is the reason why people are writing St Kilda off.

I think we are judging/hoping we have made enough improvement that we aren't a poor team and that they've lost just enough we can beat them. Also, first round a veteran team might still be building into the season.

Why is everybody doubting the Saints ability to beat a poor team, just because their poor PRE-season form??

because we've just been too good to lose this game. you know it's right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back