Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
i plan on going to watch the bombers more often in 2012. its our local club and my son plays for the junior bombers. i recon it would be a reat learning curve for him to have the experience of watching good level footy and get some of the atmosphere etc..

so i guess the year must start somewhere. this is the first post, and i'll include some latest news from the redland bombers website.

Redland Sign Former Swans NSW Scholarship Holder

28-10-2011
1602034_1_T.jpg

The Redland Football Club are pleased to announce the signing of Jay Lewis for the 2012 NEAFL Northern Conference season

Redland Sign Essendon Rookie

26-10-2011
1600281_1_T.jpg

The Redland Football Club are pleased to announce the signing of James Webster for the 2012 NEAFL Northern Conference season

Redlands Sam Michael Drafted by the Lions

13-12-2011
1635908_1_T.jpg

Redland's Sam Michael has been drafted to the Brisbane Lions with pick 96 in todays rookie draft with a zone selection draft pick.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info.cgi?c=1-109-34758-0-0&sID=56342

i plan on going to watch the bombers more often in 2012. its our local club and my son plays for the junior bombers. i recon it would be a reat learning curve for him to have the experience of watching good level footy and get some of the atmosphere etc..

so i guess the year must start somewhere. this is the first post, and i'll include some latest news from the redland bombers website.

Redland Sign Former Swans NSW Scholarship Holder

28-10-2011
1602034_1_T.jpg

The Redland Football Club are pleased to announce the signing of Jay Lewis for the 2012 NEAFL Northern Conference season

Redland Sign Essendon Rookie

26-10-2011
1600281_1_T.jpg

The Redland Football Club are pleased to announce the signing of James Webster for the 2012 NEAFL Northern Conference season

Redlands Sam Michael Drafted by the Lions

13-12-2011
1635908_1_T.jpg

Redland's Sam Michael has been drafted to the Brisbane Lions with pick 96 in todays rookie draft with a zone selection draft pick.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info.cgi?c=1-109-34758-0-0&sID=56342

Well done Tiger,

Its good to see your passion for your local NEAFL team and good luck to the Bombers this year - it would be good to see them have a change of luck this season.

• Banned
great day for the kids at the bombers this weekend. sign on and all sorts ofactivities forthe kids. rock climbing etc. marvelous idea and attitude, typical of the AFL.

ive always been a league man, but im in awe of how well the AFL treats fans and its juniors. the NRL has no idea. there is no comparison in how thetwo codes treat its public.

redland RL had a sign on last saturday....went on without a wimper. sign on and go, thank you very much for your $130.....buy your sox and shorts later, plus $10 match fees per week. pay your dough, and get going......

on the other hand...redland bombers under 8s pay $88 sign on, free dress shirt, sox and shorts, no match fee and there is free stuff for dad.....and a huge carnival for the WEEKEND for the kids.

the two redlands clubs are comparable. although the league may be a bit bigger in junior numbers. it doesnt reflect in attitude though. the RL has a lot to learn from the AFL club. im not sure if they arebright enough though. their confidence is really complacency....

Interesting comments. My son did auskick last year. $80 for the year. Got a backpack full of stuff inc auskick footy. Trophy and jumping castles etc at end of year and he got to do halftime at a suns game. 1 hour of fun activities per week.

This year thought I would take him to soccer. $240 for starters and it seemed that travel to venues as far as nthn nsw. End result- we r going back to auskick even though I would like my son to try a few different sports.

• Banned
Interesting comments. My son did auskick last year. $80 for the year. Got a backpack full of stuff inc auskick footy. Trophy and jumping castles etc at end of year and he got to do halftime at a suns game. 1 hour of fun activities per week.

This year thought I would take him to soccer. $240 for starters and it seemed that travel to venues as far as nthn nsw. End result- we r going back to auskick even though I would like my son to try a few different sports.

hi premier. my young fella played the half time game at the NEAFL grand final at redlands last season. the inclusion of the kids and fans by the AFL is awesome. rugby league has no idea. im on the committe of a small junior rl club and am interested what goes on with the bigger clubs around me.

the best one can expect is free maccas vouchers. although my son did play a half time game at a wynnum manly. an ice block as a reward. (yes he plays both codes)

as you are probably aware, there is no RL equivellent of auskick going round the schools, and RL isnt playedas a sport at most schools. not like when i was a kid.

by comparison the RL puts very little effort into 'on the ground' promotion. they seem to leave it to tv advertising and the high profile of origin and the broncs up here in qld.

AFL is sneaking up on league in qld. they have won me over, and im a 'diehard' league fan who played juniors and seniors.

if sport is to be played for enjoyment, with a lesser risk of serious injury, one would pick AFL. and that is only one of the possitives in favour of the AFL.

Hi A guy that played for Redland last year by the name of Will Overs is shoping him self around our way can he play what type of year did he have last year ,Thanks

• Banned
Hi A guy that played for Redland last year by the name of Will Overs is shoping him self around our way can he play what type of year did he have last year ,Thanks

Height: 190cm
Weight: 84kg
Redland Senior Games: 16
Overs had a successful first season with the Bombers playing on a range of different opponents in the back 50. His ability to play tall or short makes him valuable to the side and he also proved that he can pinch hit up forward.
A broken wrist in the final match of 2010 has meant a cautious approach to his 2011 season but he should be fine to make a big impact in the second half of the season.

Last Modified on 14/04/2011 11:46

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_i...sID=60069&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=5125593

• Banned
2012 Fixture

Redland 2012 Fixture

SENIORS
ROUND OPPOSITION VENUE DATE TIME
1 Southport Victoria Point Sat 24/3 1:30pm
2 Mt Gravatt Dittmer Park Sat 31/3 1:30pm
3 Aspley Victoria Point Sat 7/4 1:30pm
4 Broadbeach H&A Oval Sat 14/4 1:30pm
5 NT Thunder Victoria Point Sat 21/4 1:30pm
6 BYE
7 Tuggeranong Greenway Sat 5/5 11:45am
8 Labrador Victoria Point Sat 12/5 1:30pm
9 GC Suns Victoria Point Sat 19/5 1:30pm
STATE BYE
10 Aspley Graham Rd Sat 2/6 1:30pm
11 Southport Fankhauser Res Sat 9/6 1:30pm
12 Belconnen Victoria Point Sat 16/6 1:00pm
13 Morningside Victoria Point Sun 24/6 1:30pm
14 BYE
15 Mt Gravatt Victoria Point Sat 7/7 1:30pm
16 Broadbeach Victoria Point Sat 14/7 1:30pm
17 BYE
18 Morningside Esplen Oval Sun 29/7 1:30pm
19 Bris Lions Giffin Park Sun 5/8 1:30pm
20 Labrador Cook-Murphy Sat 11/8 11:30am
21 NT Thunder TIO - Darwin Sat 18/8 7:00pm

RESERVES
ROUND OPPOSITION VENUE DATE TIME
1 Southport Victoria Point Sat 24/3 11:00am
2 Mt Gravatt Dittmer Park Sat 31/3 11:00am
3 Aspley Victoria Point Sat 7/4 11:00am
4 Broadbeach H&A Oval Sat 14/4 11:00am
5 Morningside Esplen Oval Sat 21/4 11:00am
6 BYE
7 Labrador Cooke-Murphy Sat 5/5 12:00pm
8 BYE
9 Morningside Victoria Point Sat 19/5 11:30am
STATE BYE
10 Aspley Graham Rd Sat 2/6 11:00am
11 Labrador Cooke-Murphy Sat 9/6 11:00am
12 Southport Victoria Point Sat 16/6 10:00am
13 Morningside Victoria Point Sun 24/6 11:00am
14 Broadbeach Victoria Point Sat 30/6 10:30am
15 Aspley Victoria Point Sat 7/7 11:00am
16 Broadbeach Victoria Point Sat 14/7 11:00am
17 BYE
18 Morningside Esplen Oval Sun 29/7 11:00am
19 Mt Gravatt Victoria Point Sat 4/8 12:00pm
20 Labrador Cook-Murphy Sat 11/8 9:00am
21 Southport Fankhauser Res Sun 19/8 12:00pm

Same with soccer here in Perth, even juniors have to travel on occasions a long way while with footy, all juniors play within there own district, every club is usually within about 15 minutes drive.

Rugby juniors are all centalised, to near the city, whilst RL does not have many clubs and you may have to travel over an hour in juniors.

hi premier. my young fella played the half time game at the NEAFL grand final at redlands last season. the inclusion of the kids and fans by the AFL is awesome. rugby league has no idea. im on the committe of a small junior rl club and am interested what goes on with the bigger clubs around me.

the best one can expect is free maccas vouchers. although my son did play a half time game at a wynnum manly. an ice block as a reward. (yes he plays both codes)

as you are probably aware, there is no RL equivellent of auskick going round the schools, and RL isnt playedas a sport at most schools. not like when i was a kid.

by comparison the RL puts very little effort into 'on the ground' promotion. they seem to leave it to tv advertising and the high profile of origin and the broncs up here in qld.

AFL is sneaking up on league in qld. they have won me over, and im a 'diehard' league fan who played juniors and seniors.

if sport is to be played for enjoyment, with a lesser risk of serious injury, one would pick AFL. and that is only one of the possitives in favour of the AFL.

Most kids try pretty well everything, maybe not at club level, but they do whilst at school, some kids are suited to one sport over another, but TBH i would have big reservations about letting my kids play a rugby code that did not have weight restrictions in juniors.

Most kids try pretty well everything, maybe not at club level, but they do whilst at school, some kids are suited to one sport over another, but TBH i would have big reservations about letting my kids play a rugby code that did not have weight restrictions in juniors.

size makes little difference till they are about 11. thats the age when AFL lifts the field 'zones' anyway, and its time for the kids to make a decision on which code they want to play, or crossover to AFL.

but by then, kids who have played league already know how to tackle, and take a tackle, and they know how to tackle from different angles, and tackle high and low, from the side, in front and behind, and cover tackle. all these tackles have different techniques.

they will have learned how to plam players off, they know how to draw and pass with the knowledge they are going to get 'hit'. they learn how to hit and spin, dummy, step, bump off tackles, run through tackles, pass when tackled, etc. they really do learn a lot between the ages of 6 and 11. rarely do they get any worse injury than a few tears shed.

league has some great skills young kids can learn early that will help them on their way when the AFL age has its zones removed. (u11's i think)

in league, no zones, you can run the length of the field and score, tackles as much as you want, and follow the play without restriction. in AFL juniors the kidsare restricted. no such problem in league.

so i wouldnt be worried about big kids in young junior sides. in fact i would reccoment all aspiring AFL kids do a couple of years in league, just to get the experience in tackling and all the above, that would take years to get in AFL. kids learn in league not to be afraid of collision. and they learn how to deal with it.

i believe playing rugby leage as a junior will supercharge young AFL players abilities.

Bombers Announce Leaders for 2012

Phil Carse has been announced as Captain of the Redland Football Club for a fifth consecutive season at the clubs Family Day/Jumper Presentation last Saturday

Carse 27, joined the club in 2007 and was elected as co-captain with Adam Mueller the following year. A three time Dowling Medallist he will be deputised by Vice Captain Josh Pullman in his second year at Victoria Point.

Senior Coach Greg Seton-Lonsdale advised that the Match Committee had toyed with the idea of co-captains as evidenced in some other NEAFL clubs however tradition prevailed and Carse was the standout leader at the club closely followed by Pullman.

Jack McDonald was selected as Reserve Grade Captain for 2012. A 2011 QAFL Reserve Grade Premiership winning player and three times Gregory Medallist McDonald is assisted by Vice Captain Matt David

Corey Fox will lead the Under 18s into this seasons Under 18 Shield with Kye Burdack announced as his deputy.

Further announcements regarding the composition of the Leadership Group at Redland Football Club are expected during the week.
Congratulations to all players chosen. Every success for 2012

(Log in to remove this ad.)

im looking forward to this weeks game with southport t viccy point.

last saturday the players had their guernsey presentation day. typical of the AFL, they included some of their juniors with the honour of presenting the players with their jumpers. the kids got a big thrill, and got to shake the hands of their heros. the seniors also put the kids through some skills, and generally interacted with the kids. great promo..

my young fella now wants to go and see the senior side play, as he now can put a face to a player. thisis the sort of reaction the club is hoping for i guess. it certainly worked with my young bloke.

the redlands are a magic club, always thinking of their juniors.

i just hope the kids get to keep their playing guernseys this season.:D
although i realise that is an expensive exercise.

cmorn the bombers!

REDLAND, a disappointing 8th last year, bolstered their ranks with the late pick-up of classy Mt.Gravatt midfielder and one-time Gold Coast Suns trialist Damien Steven.
Allen Bielski, a former Tassie Devils player in the VFL and an experienced Tasmanian representative player, also shapes as a valuable pickup along with former Essendon rookie list midfielder James Webster, and former Sydney Swans scholarship holder Jay Lewis, from Sydney club Pennant Hills.
PNG utility David Meli, a former Essendon international rookie, also has returned to Brisbane to play at Victoria Point along with highly-rated U18s pair Jordan Bain and Tyler Jones.
Phil Carse has been reappointed captain of a side that will be without Trent Manzone and Travis Johnstone (Aspley), Jamie Hackett (Morningside), Josh Norman ( Mt Eliza), Ben Weightman (Port Melbourne) and Will Overs (Leeton), plus AFL draftees Alex Sexton (Gold Coast Suns) and Sam Michael (Brisbane Lions).
Former skipper Adam Mueller has been transferred to Cairns in his teaching job, leaving him still needing one game to join Derek Wirth as the only player to play 100 State League games for the Bombers.

game day brochure..

http://www.neafl.com.au/uploads/media/Redland_V_Southport.pdf

/

How'd they go today? NEAFL website is a bit dodgy.

g'day nick.

they were well beaten. in not an AFL person but i'll give you my perspective.

enthusiasm. in redlands, it was lacking. they found it difficult to kick/pass as they were always contested by the other side. yet when southport had the ball, they managed to kick/pass without much trouble or preasure.

southport always managed to have 2 or 3 players on the redlands player about to recieve the ball. redlands were resigned to kicking for the edges as the middle was domminated by southport.

southport also kicked more accurately, made better decisions with the ball.

enthusiasm. if redlands could have contested more of the southport kick/passing, crummbed with more determination, made better choices with the ball, and kicked more accurately, then they could have been competitive. more than competitive.

redlands have the troops. i didnt see one player that i thought was below par, they just didnt have the passion nor enthusiasm.

phil carse was inspirational. but it didnt inspire the side. im not sure if it is fitness, or lack of it. but certainly, they didnt play with the spirit the young blokes at GWS showed on saturday night.

it would be easy to say they were beaten by a better side. im sure it looked that way to the average punter. but ive played a bit of RL and know the difference. redlands have the cattle. they are just not enthusiastic enough. they must try to contest every play, make those second attempts at getting the ball, hunt in packs, and never let the opposition have easy ball. always put preasure on the ball.

you have to want to do that. its easy to just go through the motions, doing what is expected of you. but when you play enthusiastically, really have a dig all game, as a team, then you get the wins.

hopefully, the bombers learned some lessons from the loss. it isnt the players or coach. its attitude. its the fun missing. its enthusiasm thats needed.

g'day nick.

they were well beaten. in not an AFL person but i'll give you my perspective.

enthusiasm. in redlands, it was lacking. they found it difficult to kick/pass as they were always contested by the other side. yet when southport had the ball, they managed to kick/pass without much trouble or preasure.

southport always managed to have 2 or 3 players on the redlands player about to recieve the ball. redlands were resigned to kicking for the edges as the middle was domminated by southport.

southport also kicked more accurately, made better decisions with the ball.

enthusiasm. if redlands could have contested more of the southport kick/passing, crummbed with more determination, made better choices with the ball, and kicked more accurately, then they could have been competitive. more than competitive.

redlands have the troops. i didnt see one player that i thought was below par, they just didnt have the passion nor enthusiasm.

phil carse was inspirational. but it didnt inspire the side. im not sure if it is fitness, or lack of it. but certainly, they didnt play with the spirit the young blokes at GWS showed on saturday night.

it would be easy to say they were beaten by a better side. im sure it looked that way to the average punter. but ive played a bit of RL and know the difference. redlands have the cattle. they are just not enthusiastic enough. they must try to contest every play, make those second attempts at getting the ball, hunt in packs, and never let the opposition have easy ball. always put preasure on the ball.

you have to want to do that. its easy to just go through the motions, doing what is expected of you. but when you play enthusiastically, really have a dig all game, as a team, then you get the wins.

hopefully, the bombers learned some lessons from the loss. it isnt the players or coach. its attitude. its the fun missing. its enthusiasm thats needed.

Good comments. I was at the Labrador/Cats game yesterday and IMO Labrador were clearly the more enthusiastic team which is why they won.

the more enthusiastic team which is why they won.

hey mate.

a look at the aussie soccer team of the 2006 world cup are a good example of enthusiasm. but they were robbed. they could have won the thing.

the wests tigers were a team of no names in 2005 when they won the NRL title.

the melbourne storm did the same in 1999. both sides were full of enthusiasm. im sure there are simmilar tales in AFL history.

i dont know how a team becomes that way. if i did, id make a large fortune. but we do know that "enthusiasm is the engine of success"

the young fella and i are off to the footy again this weekend, as the bombers play a home game at viccy point. in this weeks game, aspley appear to be a bigger test than mt gravatt were. so after last weeks good win, the bombers should be gaining in confidence, and with the home crowd advantage, we should be in for a great contest.

im looking forward to see if the bombers intensity and enthusiasm has picked up from 2 weeks ago. they must of lifted last week.

below is a rundown from last weeks game. i 'borrowed' the article from the bombers site. i posted a link to the bombers website and the full article. ive only posted part of it.

go the bombers!

Bombers Open NEAFL Account for 2012

After a disappointing Round One home loss the Redland Bombers have bounced back with a comfortable 50 point away win against Mt Gravatt last Saturday.

The visitors started well and again had plenty of the ball in the early stages kicking into a slight breeze. Adam Oxley after being used predominantly down back against Southport was getting his share of the footy through the midfield and pushing forward.

Twelve shots on goal equated to 6.6 whilst the Vultures made the most of some Bomber skill errors through the middle of the ground to rally late with four goals.

Matt Thomson, Phil Carse, and Brad Rees were getting plenty of hard ball through the first half but the Bombers final kick into forward fifty at times lacked penetration, playing into the hands of quality Vulture defender Gavin Grose who had the upper hand in his battle with Josh Pullman

Oxley continued to offer an alternative route to goal and when the lively Allen Bielski joined him up forward the delivery and retainment of the ball inside fifty improved markedly

At half time the lead was three goals to the Bombers but given the context of possession and further poor conversion it should have been greater

To Mt Gravatt’s credit they rallied in the third quarter, spread with purpose from the contest, and really had the Bombers on the back foot. In fact had they not have had their own case of the yips in front of goal (3.9 for the quarter) they could have easily taken a handy lead into the final stanza

After a lacklustre effort in the third quarter and with the game in the balance at three quarter time the Bombers were reminded by coach Greg Seton-Lonsdale of what was at stake as well as what was needed to gain the clubs first four points for the season

The opening minutes of the final quarter featured tight hard contested footy. The Bombers appeared to have more run through the inspirational efforts of Carse and the ball winning capacity of Thomson and Rees.

Finally the game broke open and again enter Oxley who kicked multiple goals along with majors from Thomson, Simon Taylor, James Charlesworth, and Scott Clouston to put the game beyond doubt.

Despite making hard work of it in the third term the Bombers ran out 50 point victors 19.19.133 to Mt Gravatt 11.17.83.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info.cgi?client=1-109-34758-0-0&sID=56342&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=18847405

what a difference 2 weeks can make! 2 wins in a row. this time over aspley, a team touted as a top 4 contender..

keeping in mind my league background, i'll attemp to make some sence of what i saw...

what first struck me, was all the game brochures were gone by the time i asked for one...just before the game. so i have no names for the guernseys..

second thing, was that redlands again seemed to be kicking too often to contests, instead of to unmarked team mates. however, unlike last week, this time, the bombers were winning the contested ball. they worked well in loose ball, and backed eachother up well.

i did see a lot of missed opportunity to kick to unmarked midfielders, namely an indigenous kid wearing 13 or 31 on his back. many times, when redland had the ball near the 'touch' line, he created space for himself in the middle downfield, and was in great position to recieve a kick/pass in good field position, but ball carriers either didnt see him, or decided against the option. i dont know why they didnt see him. i was on the same level, and could have made the kick.

the said midfielder wasnt waving his arms around ostentatiously calling for the ball. a strategy i suggest to not call attention to himself from defenders. he shouldnt have to. at that level, blokes should be able to pick him out.

but that bloke has great positional play, is often unmarked, and is underused by his team mates. he was great in defence, and in contested ball. crumbed well.

the bombers showed aggression in tackles, and looked like there was no place they would rather have been. they had enthusiasm, and it showed.

early in the 4th quarter, the bombers were about 5 goals ahead, they seemed to take the foot off the peddle, and aspley started making yards, which ended in a goal. that seemed to spark the bombers back into action, as the score blowout attests.

its early days in the comp. lots can happen between now and the finals. but if the bombers keep their enthusiasm, tweak a few things, they will be serious contenders for the crown this year.

what impressed me most was the aggression they showed, and the 'hurt' they put in tackles, their high numbers in contested ball and crumbing, phil carse being able to play his own game instead of trying to do everyones job, and their fitness was never a question, nor was commitment.

the coach has done a great job in turning round a team from a poor 1st game, to a seriously enthusiastic, hard hitting, happy bunch of footballers.

my only critique, would be the the lack of ball aimed towards midfielder (13 or 31) who often got himself into great position, unmarked, and the ball never got to him.

otherwise, well done fellas. you done fine.

Thanks for the summary. The guy wearing 31 is Laurie Logo from PNG according to Bombers website. First senior game, so maybe team mates will start to use him as they get used to having him in the side. Looks like he kicked 3 goals. Very handy.

Thanks for the summary. The guy wearing 31 is Laurie Logo from PNG according to Bombers website. First senior game, so maybe team mates will start to use him as they get used to having him in the side. Looks like he kicked 3 goals. Very handy.

yeah mate, he could have been from png. he had his head shaven, which makes it more difficult to tell.

it could have also been david meli, number 13..... also zero games and from png.

this weekend should produce a cracker of a game. the bombers coming off two good wins and a draw, should give last years premiers a real tustle.

NT have lost quite a few of their last years stars, which will certainly bring them back to the pack.

im tipping a good win for the improving bombers, if they show the tenacity they have recently.

go bombers!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back